Menu

Quote your kids on being homeschooled

Let's hear it right from their mouths! Do they like being homeschooled? Why or why not? This could be fun to read.

I asked Becca, "Do you like homeschooling?"

She said, "Yes." So I asked, "Why?"

"Because I have you with me."

:001_smile:

Another time she said she liked it because she didn't have to get up and go ride on the bus. :lol:

So what do your kids say, and include their age(s) if they're not in your sig.

My 8yo once told a complete stranger that it's preferable to be homeschooled because "in public school you don't learn anything."

Another time, someone had asked, "Do you like studying around the kitchen table with your mom?" and Verdi answered, "No, not really." When asked why, Verdi said, "I prefer studying on the porch."

Nowadays Verdi's reason for being home is Latin. That is also the five-year-old's reason for liking school at home.

When I asked my children if they liked homeschooling they both said "No. We love it!" What do you love?

10 year old: No bullies, we can sleep late, lots of field trips, and time with mom.

8 year old: I love spending time with mom. Homeschooling is interesting and school is boring.

ds8's response: Yeah.

Why?: You get out earlier

ds7: Yeah

Why?: (Name of Public School) doesn't teach kids to read.

I should note that ds8 attended public school for K & 1st and did not learn how to read, and ds7's best friend (same age) is in the same ps and cannot read a word. ds notices.

dd4: Yeah.

Why?: 'cuz.

Cuz why?: Just cuz. why do you ask?

Profound.

"You can actually go out and do things. At regular school, you get field trips, but you don't get to do them everyday. You can have field trips everyday if you are homeschooled."

I don't think we took but one or two field trips the entire time we homeschooled, but that 's what she said!

ds(almost 13): I like it because I get off early, don't have to do all the busy work, and don't have homework (:glare:)

ds11: Whenever you're not in the mood we get to have a surprise day off.

dd6: Because it really lets you concentrate and you can get help without having to wait for other people and it saves time.

Do you like to be homeschooled?

Ds 9 said: I love being homeschooled 'cause we read all those cool books together, and I just love being at home with you.

Anything else?

Yes, I love having no homework and shorter school days than in ps. :D

Sonja

Homeschooling "JUST ONE" - ds 9

Me: Do you like being homeschooled?

Ds9: Yeah! (I then asked why) Because if I was in school I wouldn't get to play with my brothers all day. And I'd be away from home.

Ds6: Yes, because you're the nicest teacher. And I'd miss you.

Ds4: No. I mean yes. (me: why?) Because it's fun. You have math to do....

Ds8: Yeah, because [a friend we just saw tonight] has to go to school and he told me about it and it sounded bad and kids spit on him. And because I think it's a little bit fun and you said they [the schools] are doing a bad job teaching. (I don't remember saying that, but I guess he's interpreted something I said that way).

Ds2: I don't wanna go to preschool [at co-op]. I want cake.

Yes, from both.

Ds11 "I get to learn at my own pace, it's fun and it's a bit easier to learn when I'm learning at my own pace."

Dd6 "Because I get to go in separate rooms and get to learn it a little bit more better. And I don't have to have a little bit of time for play time but I get more time. (ie. for play) And because I get to do things so that people can actually help me when I need help. Plus I don't have to walk home from school."

ds age 8: Yeah. Well, I like to read, and I like to do art. And I'm not scared at home.

ds age 7: Yes. Because I like math baseball (a computer math game), and I like art.

dd age 10: Yeah. Because it's fun and I get a lot of recess.

dd age 14: Yes. Because there's a lot of freedom and you can work your schedule around sports, and there's a lot of flexibility to do things (subjects) when you want to.

Me: Do you like being homeschooled

Yeah

Me: Why?

DS: (13) because it's fun and when I've finished work I can build my boats and stuff.

DS (9) because you get to see your friends lots and the teacher isn't mean and you don't have to deal with bullies.

Edited by keptwoman

My kids didn't say anything too cute or too revealing:

Elijah, 5, thought for a moment that the question indicated we might be sending him off to school and he started to cloud up :( He says, "Yes, I want to be at home 'cuz it is fun."

Mercy, 8, was briefly to the point, "It's okay." She has said before that she intends to be a farmer's wife and put the kids on the bus so she can help her husband with the chores. We'll see.

Olivia, 10, says, "Some. My school day is over sooner and I can do my subjects in whatever order I want."

Jonathan, 12, responded with, "You learn more, but you don't go anywhere." (He would enjoy a band of boys to pal around with)

Natalie, 14, said, "Sure, there is more flexibility in my days. I enjoy time at home, more free time than I would have, and I can cook in the middle of the day." (She has enjoyed lots of cuddle time with a nephew that she would have missed otherwise)

David, 20, "Sure, because I could move ahead in subjects as I completed them and move from grade level to grade level at my own pace."

We also have 3 grads that have flown the nest. Our eldest daughter plans to home educate :) The two older boys have married young ladies that think not.

Mom: Do you like homeschooling?

DS(9): Yes

Mom: Why?

DS(9): Because we do less school and we get free days (today was a mental health day for mom) -pause- and we get you. :blush:

Mom: Do you like homeschooling?

DS(5): Yes because I get to do schoolwork.

Mom: You'd get to do schoolwork at a public school kindergarten.

DS(5): But I'd have to do more.

So a little schoolwork is a good thing, but more is bad... :confused:

Me: Do you like homeschooling?

DS 13:Yes

DS 13(thinks about it).......It's fun. I don't know what to say

DD 12: Why

Me: I just want to know

DD 12: Why do you need to know, what are you going to do? :lol:

Me: Because I do

DD 12: I like it because I don't have to go to public school. Public school is stupid

DD 13: Yes, of course.

DD (all angry-like): Why? What do you mean why??

Me (confused): What?

DD: Because I'm not bored. I can move at my own pace and learn more about something if I want.

:lol::lol: That was fun.

These are funny.

I just asked my 12yo, and he said, "I can't reply to that."

"Why?"

Long, hard stare, like Paddington Bear. "Are they asking me in particular that question?"

"Well, they're asking what all our kids think about being homeschooled."

"I cannot answer that."

Okay, then. This is from the child who told me in a most matter-of-fact tone, when he was five, "I had home birth. I am having home school."

my dc, depending on the age, have said they love the freedom, the real world, not having to deal with the drama at school and the littles are 7 so they just love having me around. :)

Yesterday I was going through Galloping the Globe with them and telling them what we would be doing and my 7 yr.old dd got all welled up and hugged me saying " I just love you so much for teaching me!"

Says dd 15, to her adviser on the subject of going off to boarding school where every other week they have school on Saturday and have study hall for ~3 hours/night Sun-Thurs nights, and where she's taking an all honors load including Latin III and an extra studio art class and mountaineering and and peer tutoring and volunteering at the humane society one afternoon/week:

"I really hate being away from the family, but at least my work load is a whole lot less than when I was doing school [years 5-8] with mom."

:lol:

Twin DS 7:: I like it. Because it is the only school we know, we don't know anything else. If we did, we might like it.

other DS 7: I like it because we don't get to finish at 3.25pm when the public school finishes.

DS 9: Because I can spend all the day reading my favorite books.

DS13: Because I can learn at my own pace.

Let's hear it right from their mouths! Do they like being homeschooled? Why or why not? This could be fun to read.

I asked Becca, "Do you like homeschooling?"

She said, "Yes." So I asked, "Why?"

"Because I have you with me."

:001_smile:

Another time she said she liked it because she didn't have to get up and go ride on the bus. :lol:

So what do your kids say, and include their age(s) if they're not in your sig.

DD 9,

"Yes, I do. Because I get to see my friends. I don't get to see them very often. And I get to play PE. I get to learn another language. I like to learn about the rocks, the part Ms. Cindy teaches about the earth, earthquakes, tornadoes. The opening of a tornado is called a funnel."

DS, 5

"Yes. Because I like that we get to do fun stuff and crafts."

DD, 7,

"Yes, Because I get to see my friends. I like PE. And I like to go for hikes. I love the crafts. I like projects and stuff. I like going to parks. And I get to learn new things that I don't even know."

DS 3,

"Yes. I like homeschool."

DS9 -- "No Bullies, and I don't have to do all of the math problems, fun art projects, and making chemical reactions in science."

DD6 --"I don't know. But I don't like when Joshua and Christopher bother me."

DS5 -- "Writing, Art, History, Science." (I'm not sure he really understood the question.)

I asked mine this morning.

DS14: "It's okay." Shrug.

DS14: "I don't know."

Mom presses for more information.

DS14: "Well, you don't have to waste time moving from class to class. The only down side is that I can't join the ps hockey team."

The girls were much easier to get information from.

DD12: "Yes, I like it because I don't have to get up early. I have never been to ps, so I don't know what goes on there. But I like it here. You get to finish earlier than if you were in ps. Also, I get to learn how I learn best."

DD9: "You get to sit next to mommy. You can have a flexible schedule. I don't like that the older kids bug me."

DD9: "I like snuggle time with mom."

Jennie

(Pie went to ps for K-2nd, and Moose went for K.)

Pie's answer (she's 10): Yes, I like home school better than school because I didn't like the crowded lunchroom and classroom. We do fun things and get to play with our own stuff and on our computers during break time and we get to be with you [Mom]. I like being a Christian and at [public school name] we couldn't learn anything about it.

Moose's answer (he's 7): Yeah, I like home school science. And handwriting (he's learning cursive). And TOG is pretty fun. I can learn about God in home school. At [public school name] we couldn't. I didn't learn much at [public school name].

Phew!! I feel much better than I did on the day of our Girl Scout meeting when we had the girls do a "get to know me" page to kick off a new year. Pie wrote that the best part of her day was "break time" and "when Dad gets home." :glare:

"Kinda...because I don't have as many subjects, maybe that's why the kids on the school bus come home so late." says Nugget, 7

"I don't know" When further interrogated he said he didn't know what public school was like so he didn't know. Then realized that at ps he'd have to learn music so sneered his nose and said 'eh, yeah, homeschool' This is the 11 yr old.

"Yeah, I do like it" says the 9 yr old. He also said he didn't know anything about public school so had nothing to compared.

Yeah, mine are thrilled to be here with me. :p

Well, my youngest dd (7) was talking to her public-schooled cousin (also 7) on the phone recently (with cousin's mom prompting in the background, I think).

Cousin asked dd, "How's school?" Dd says, "Fine." Then with prompting, I think, cousin asks dd what she likes to do at home. Dd says, "Read and spend time with my family."

Then dd asks cousin what she likes at school. Cousin replies, "Gym. And recess." (Cousin's mom chides her for her answers in background.)

:w00t:

Huck says, "Yes he likes homeschooling because I don't have to work as long and there's no bullies (Tom piped up with that one, "Hey, I'm a bully! :glare:)

Tom says, "Yes I like homeschooling because I don't have to get dressed!"

Good thread. Glad to see that most of the kidlets out there really like homeschooling.

me: Do you like homeschooling?

ds5: Wellll...I don't like penmanship.

me: Do you like the rest?

ds5: Yeah!

me: Why?

ds5: 'Cause it's fun!

Last week he told me (during science): "I'm science boy! I was math boy and grammar boy. I will be whatever boy for the thing we are doing!"