Menu

What homeschool regulations do you think ARE reasonable?

ktgrok

I like the regulations we have:

At the beginning of the year, send in Letter of Intent and list of subjects/materials used included.  Get approval letter.

End of year, send in a progress report and/or test scores.  Some districts ask for them at the end of each semester, but mine doesn't.  I wouldn't mind, though.

I don't mind the regulations because the roles are clearly defined in the law.  Since each child is entitled to an appropriate education and homeschools don't have boards or superintendents to look over curriculum/education plans, the local school district takes on that role in accountability for the child as an outsider.  We came from no-reg communities before and the abuse of power by the parent was staggering.  Children who had had 3 days of "school" by November (and not unschoolers), children whose parents gave up doing any education at all, or ones who were receiving highly inappropriate levels of class, like the high schooler who was given 15 minutes' worth of worksheets and his mom didn't understand why that wasn't sufficient.  These were not out of the norm situations in my no-reg communities.  By having to send in a plan and a progress report it makes parents think about their direction and whether or not it is good enough.  It would also keep kids from bouncing in and out of public schools because parents would have to have ducks in a row before pulling their child.

• Like 4

I agree with HomeAgain, except I wouldn't want an approval letter--just a compliance letter.

I think it is helpful to many to have to think through their plan. It may just be where I live, but I don't see the kind of sudden knee jerk school removals some see bc we do have to send in a plan.

I also think testing or portfolio review every year or two is helpful.  I have seen others change their schooling after a shockingly low score.

• Like 2

Our regs are not bad at all.

We send in a plan at the beginning of the year, and at the end of the year a report.

One thing I like about this is that it keeps us registered in the same way a public school kid would be, so if the student ever goes into ps, he or she just enters at the grade he is supposed to.  It's also used for a few other things - if you want to access certain programs that are usually handled through schools like extra music, certain vaccination, or speech services.

It just seems to lend itself to a certain amount of administrative ease.

Now, some provinces ask for a little more but also give more services, even funding, and I can't say I wouldn't be willing to do that.  The homeschool association here hasn't tried for that on grounds that they think it would become burdensome, but people I've talked to seem to find it helpful more than anything.  And $1500 a year would go a long way to reducing other burdens for me.

I'm not sure any of this does much to make sure kids aren't abused, though if a parent is not even doing this minimum I guess it becomes another red flag if it is noticed, and it's something that allows the state to take some kind of action.  

Personally, I think the state or the wider community does have a real stake in children being educated, as well as protecting kids rights, so I'm not philosophically opposed to regulation.

ETA - I agree with the idea that it seems to make a difference for parents to have to think through what they are doing.  Every year I see some who seem to struggle with doing this, and I think it can be kind of a way to filter out people who aren't ready.

Edited by Bluegoat

I like the regulations we have:

At the beginning of the year, send in Letter of Intent and list of subjects/materials used included. Get approval letter.

End of year, send in a progress report and/or test scores. Some districts ask for them at the end of each semester, but mine doesn't. I wouldn't mind, though.

I would agree to something like this. I'm only required to do a notice of intent once a year outling the subjects we plan to cover. We just did away with a testing requirement. I never minded testing. I wouldn't mind a portfolio review of some sort either.

I think I would draw the line at requirements being put on homeschool families that aren't also on public school kids. Doctors visits, dentist visits, home checks, letters of reference, if we have to jump through a hoop, I want a similar hoop for public and private school students. These extra hoops aren't about academics. They are child welfare checks. Which is fine I guess, but if it is deemed necessary to do, they should be applied across the board.

• Like 5

My current regs are reasonable, but wouldn't fly in the US due to cultural differences.

No testing. Biannual visits from an authorised person (from the education dept - they do have some training in what home ed is and how it differs from school, but a major drawback is that you can get great AP's or really hostile AP's).

At that visit you need to show your plan in detail for the next six months, and a rough plan for the 18 months after. They like to see samples of work. They do not need to sight/talk to/test your child. They are there to check the learning environment ( adequate light and ventilation) and to check that the homeschooling parent has a decent educational plan. They do not 'inspect' the home, but just get a general impression. Lots of books go down well with them.

They do like to hear about the social opportunities your child has. So I suppose that's a sort of check on whether the child has access to others. 

Officially, we're supposed to keep diaries or tick off and date outcomes etc. I don't do that, because it's a waste of my time, so I just write up a report for the previous period. 

It's totally gameable, if you were an evil and clever and very organised abuser. 

I am totally against compulsory testing or compulsory doctors visits for homeschoolers. Better to provide services, pull relectant- to register homeschoolers out of the woodwork that way.

I wouldn't mind this, either, if it were offered as a choice - like, you can register, receive a stipend to spend on books/curricula & have home visits with a mentor (AP), or you can register, send in ed plan/progress reports, and do it independently with no mentor.  I think that would go down better in the states at least. 

• Like 2

My state has the following regulations:

Each year, a homeschooling family has to file a letter of intent, yearly test results or evaluation results conducted by a certified teacher, textbook list, and a signed statement that the students will be taught subjects as outlined by the state.

However, I don't think any of this helps me better educate my kids, nor would it prevent anyone from abusing their kids.  The only benefit I can see  is  that when a person who is clueless about homeschooling asks how I am qualified to teach my kids, I tell them that I have to submit information yearly to the state in order to homeschool. Thinking that information is submitted to the state every year reassures these individuals that my kids are getting an acceptable education.

The reality is that these regulations do nothing to ensure that I am actually educating my kids.  

• Like 5

I'm in Florida with you, ktgrok. I'm good with our laws.

I don't have a problem with some level of regulation, because we have compulsory education laws. Making sure that those laws are being observed is reasonable to me. 

But I don't think compulsory education laws exist to make sure kids are seen regularly by mandated reporters. If that is the desired requirement, then it needs to be the requirement across the board, including for kids under compulsory school age. (Note that I don't want that to be the requirement, but I think people need to be consistent.)

• Like 4

Registration as a private school and then treated the same as B&M private schools. So if bureaucrats want test scores or a portfolio or a formal curriculum plan, impose the same requirements on ALL private school students regardless of whether the school is home-based or B&M.

I object to singling out homeschools for more red tape than B&M private schools.

• Like 9

I'm not in favor of too much regulation.  It seems like a content test of very basic reading a math every 2 years or so should be enough.  I'm not big on testing really and I suppose there could be other options.  It seems like requiring families to record attendance is a bit silly. 

I would never allow any official to come into my home for any reason without a warrant.

I'm also not in favor of required medical and dental visits.  

Our state does have official public school home education as an option, so you can choose to do that and it's free.  You do have to do some things, but that is ok since it is paid for.  You are required to see a teacher every so often.  I think it's once a month and do some other things.  I really don't know much about it.  I know some people like it quite well.  

My older children are now at a 2 day a week hybrid/university style school.  It is accredited and we have to do a few extra things.  That was our choice.  We love it for high school.  

I'm guessing in the future there may be more blending between public/private schools and homeschools.  I see no reason why homeschoolers can't take science or art or band at the local school (obviously they might have to step into all the regulations that entails) and this is already happening at some private schools.  I also see no reason why a public school child can't take a class somewhere else (private school, online, home school course etc..) and have it put on their transcript.  

I am in favor of options.

I'm a private person and an introvert. So to me it feels like they are invading my privacy. Even though in my state I just have to send in the name of my school and the record holders name, just once. I must also have 186 days of school per year minimum. Once DD5 hits high school they do have graduation requirements.

My "feelings" aside, I "think" my states regulations are fair.

• Like 1

The ironic thing is that my Private School Affidavit kids DO take standardized tests, even though they are not required by my state. We have done ITBS, talent search testing, and then the CA High School Proficiency Exam (which my oldest passed in 8th grade at age 13). So I'm not anti-testing. I'm just anti-requiring testing for homeschool students and not for other private school students.

• Like 5

Registration as a private school and then treated the same as B&M private schools. So if bureaucrats want test scores or a portfolio or a formal curriculum plan, impose the same requirements on ALL private school students regardless of whether the school is home-based or B&M.

I object to singling out homeschools for more red tape than B&M private schools.

I can get on board with this as well. 

I'm pro what PA has.  At the time I thought it was a nuisance, but having seen some good come of it - even for me personally when it came to college applications and some colleges told us we had to do less because PA was a regulated state - I've changed my mind.  It might have been a nuisance, but so is putting gas in my car TBH.  Both can be handled without an issue.

I don't care to debate anything about it all.  That's the way I'd vote if it ever came to a vote though. 

I'm pretty anti "no" regulation because I care about everyone's kids and feel education is important enough to try to guarantee a minimum of for all (up to their ability, of course - not saying all need to be college prep or have certain schedules during the day/year, etc).

• Like 1

I'm probably in the zero regulation camp.

I'm fine with my state's regulations, though I find them pointless and stupid.  Send in a Notice of Intent to any district in the state, keep attendance records no one is ever able to ask for, and test (must get greater than 12%) with a nationally normed test in odd years starting in 3rd grade or get an evaluator to asses progress and send results to the district you chose that year.  

I don't think regulations would actually help.  I'm of the thought that those who have nefarious intent will succeed even with regulations in place, so the regulations just create hoops for those who comply.  I'm also pretty fond of limited government, and I don't really like the assumption that I'm guilty of something (which regulations tend to assume--they make me prove my innocence) just because I choose to do something differently (aka homeschool) in my family.

• Like 5

I think any homeschool regulations should be concerned with the education the child is/is not receiving. I have heard of portfolios being rubber-stamped for a fee, even while the child isn't learning. I'm also not a big fan of standardized tests. Some kids just don't perform well on tests. Especially since the standardized tests are percentile based. A third of the kids are always going to score in the bottom third by definition.

I've been thinking off and on all day about what could be done regarding the abuse issue. Perhaps a well-child checkup or visit to the health clinic for each child you claim a tax deduction for? I'm not saying this is a great idea. I don't particularly like the idea of good parents having to prove themselves. But it would cover all minor children regardless of educational method.

• Like 4

I think there should be zero. Departments of Education should oversee *PUBLIC* education, period. I know this is not a popular opinion, but there you are.

I agree with you. For every homeschool family with their 13 children chained in the basement there is a public school child falling through the cracks in the system.

• Like 8

I'm in Florida....so you send in a letter of intent to the county (mine was via email), and then have a choice.  Yearly standardized test given by a licensed teacher or portfolio review.  In theory, you're supposed to keep attendance records, samples of work (for the portfolio), etc., but I've never heard of anybody being asked for one.

I used to be more lax, but then when DS1 went for his first FSA at the county a few years ago, I started talking to a lady who was also homeschooling her children.  Her curriculum of choice?  One of those "complete curriculum" books you get at Walmart or Costco.  At first I thought she was kidding.... apparently, she wasn't.  This was for 4th grade. 

Sigh.

After that, I became more OK with the regulations.

Thing is, in Florida, kids have to pass the 3rd grade reading test to get promoted in public school.  They also have to pass the 10th grade reading/Language arts test to graduate.  Only two required for promotion.  I'd like to see those benchmarks be given to homeschoolers as well.  If there's an IEP, of course, there would be exceptions...but for neurotypical, no LDs, yes, homeschoolers should meet those benchmarks as well.

• Like 1

I would like to see mentoring and support offered as an option to all homeschoolers. Such support would consist of regular meetings (not necessarily at home) with an experienced homeschooler with training in child development and awareness of any special needs involved, access to a materials checkout library, and opportunities to meet with other homeschoolers and make social connections, including connecting people with existing homeschool groups, co-ops, etc.

Under certain conditions (the one that comes to mind immediately is the parent who pulls their kid from school as soon as they get a letter from the truancy office, or who pulls a child who is facing significant disciplinary sanctions before the actual hearing), this could be required for the first X months.

In my dream world, moms who are homeschooling and facing medical issues or are pregnant could be offered support from an experienced homeschooler to help them get over that hump, or if you needed support on figuring out how to manage a teen and high school, you could get support from someone who has been there, done that. Kind of like this board, only in person.

Done right, I could see it enabling people to homeschool even when conditions are less ideal, as well as hopefully preventing situations from spiraling out of control.

I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t think anything would stop those who are so....something to chain their kids to beds and starve them for years at a time, but maybe it would help the mom who ends up using the baby as the curriculum, and then the toddler as the curriculum, or who is struggling with illness. If DD were younger and didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have so much outsourced to the community college, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not sure IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d have been able to continue homeschooling this year because of my health issues. I just plain have too many bad days where I struggle to think to be able to accurately teach.

Edited by Dmmetler2
  • Like 2

I agree with you. For every homeschool family with their 13 children chained in the basement there is a public school child falling through the cracks in the system.

Way more because while fortunately the horror stories are the anomaly for people claiming to "homeschool", sadly in many districts in the U.S. (including some of the largest ones), falling through the cracks is the norm rather than the exception.

• Like 6

I think as long as we have compulsory education there should be some kind of oversight/regulation. A floor, with trained people that are not anti-homeschool administering it. I'm fine with what we have in Florida, and I think it helps keep people somewhat accountable, to know they have to look a teacher in the eye at the end of the year and say what was covered, what they did, etc. I also think that a total lack of oversight makes homeschooling more of a target for legislators that want to outlaw it 

• Like 1

I'm in Florida with you, ktgrok. I'm good with our laws.

I don't have a problem with some level of regulation, because we have compulsory education laws. Making sure that those laws are being observed is reasonable to me. 

Yes, I think our regulations in Florida are reasonable. 

The child has to show "progress commensurate with his abilities" which I think is better than grade level or test score requirements.

• Like 2

Way more because while fortunately the horror stories are the anomaly for people claiming to "homeschool", sadly in many districts in the U.S. (including some of the largest ones), falling through the cracks is the norm rather than the exception.

That is heartbreaking.

I wouldn't mind signing an affidavit that says I am educating my children according to state law. Since we do have compulsory education, that seems reasonable. But no way no how will I ask for "approval". I don't need the government's approval for my educational choices.

I don't think that would stop educational or physical abuse in any way though.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I think that the abuse issues need to be strongly and firmly separated from the education ones.

Kids are not protected well in our society.

They get beaten.  They get shot.  They get killed by their parents' friends and by strangers.

Assuming that a school will catch and prevent those things is not realistic, or they wouldn't be so darned common.

That is where the focus should be.  The focus on homeschooling is primarily a distraction, which I find a bit significant.  Who benefits when homeschooling is more regulated?  Not the kids, really.  Maybe/probably the teachers' unions.  Maybe/probably the social services folks who are missing this stuff but who can divert attention to the fake homeschooling issue.

The actual issue is, how do we protect our nation's children?  And the answer has GOT TO BE more directly tied to that question  than 'by regulating homeschooling' is.

• Like 13

I'm not as opposed to regulations as I used to be, but my cooperation is contingent on good will from the governmental side.  I feel like if we don't correct that before adding regulations, it will just become a big gotcha game. 

FTR, our regulations are all mostly honorary, though I do abide by them, no one checks to see whether I did.  It'd be nice to have a collaborative dynamic to the endeavor, however that ended up happening.

PS  BTW, we don't actually have compulsary education.  What we have is compulsary attendance.

As long as we don't compel schools to educate kids, we are on pretty shaky ground to then say that we must compel homeschoolers to do so, as much as I hate the idea of parents faking homeschooling and not actually educating their children.

• Like 15

I haven't read the replies yet.

My first comment is that recognition of who has authority to decide on children's education has to come first.

The UN declaration of human rights says that parents get to choose. It also says that we have the right of presumed innocence and "No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation"

So, before the nitty gritty of regulations, I expect my government to have parental vs state authority in its proper order. A parent choosing to homeschool shouldn't be presumed guilty without evidence to the contrary.

The difficulty, in my opinion, is how the state should screen for and gather such evidence.

• Like 5

I think there should be zero. Departments of Education should oversee *PUBLIC* education, period. I know this is not a popular opinion, but there you are.

This is how I always felt too. I think the less regulation of people's lives the better overall. However, being in our umbrella school has shown me that yep...some people need big brother. The amount of parents I meet who are doing next to no schooling or using tech as their all day babysitter is shocking and astounding and these are just the people who are actually showing up at an umbrella school for oversight. I don't even want to know about the ones who hole up in their house neglecting their children's education. Maybe I just have high standards for my children but I have been shocked. I feel Washington State is quite lenient.

I think as long as we have compulsory education there should be some kind of oversight/regulation. A floor, with trained people that are not anti-homeschool administering it. I'm fine with what we have in Florida, and I think it helps keep people somewhat accountable, to know they have to look a teacher in the eye at the end of the year and say what was covered, what they did, etc. I also think that a total lack of oversight makes homeschooling more of a target for legislators that want to outlaw it 

I could get behind this if the same oversight is required of B&M private schools. Whatever bureaucrats want to require from HSers (testing, portfolios, meeting with an outside evaluator), let them require the same for B&M private schools.

• Like 2

I live in a "letter of intent" only state. I was once very anti-regulation of any sort and considered going off-the-books even here with such simple requirements. We're only in gr4 now but I've come to change my views on this. For my own protection I would be okay with more regulation. Right now if someone wants to point at me and say I'm not doing a good enough job homeschooling, how do I *legally* prove that I am? If there are no regulations, I have nothing to meet. If we had some standards in place, I would have that to point back at and say "see, I'm doing x, y, and z, just as is required". As it turns out I am doing that because we have opted to go through a charter that provides us funds in return for very simple reporting. I'm doing it for the funds, but honestly it's also a little reassuring to know that I will have a year's worth of back and forth between myself and their "teacher" praising their work and effort. I don't need the validation that I'm doing fine, but it's there if anyone else wants to cause a problem for us. 

I think letter of intent/registering as homeschoolers and something year-end to show progress whether that be a test result, a portfolio, or an evaluator. Preferably with a choice between which method would fit your style and child best. 

ETA: I would like to add that I don't see any of this as a way to prevent abuse. Those that want to hide will simply not comply. I see it as more of a CYA for those who ARE doing right by their kids and as a way to find and help those who may be struggling. 

Edited by Whovian10

I think some type of evidence of thoughtfulness before homeschooling begins could be good: a planned curriculum submitted or attending a meeting (or online course) on what homeschooling means and resources available.

We do a yearly portfolio review, but some type of something to show anything and speak with a person. Our law states progress based on ability, which is good. I disagree with passing tests public schools required, as Florida has a grassroots opt out movement to avoid these tests, felt by many to be developmentally inappropriate. Even with students with IEPs and 504Ă¢â‚¬â„¢s (which require being in the school system and frequently are not adequately or timely given), itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s near impossible to pass those tests.

Personally, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d benefit from maybe doing a more frequent review as I can see how easy it could be to get off schedule. But, I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t think itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s necessary as one year timeframes are more flexible and probably adequate for getting people back on track.

The other queries about regulations are what are they targeting? Are we targeting abuse situations or are we trying to lift academic standards? Both? Because they require different kinds of regulations imo.

I do agree with this. It's a big question that changes everything. I don't think any amount of homeschooling regulations will stop the kind of abuse that has sparked this conversation. People like that are already breaking many laws, what's one more? They'll just go unregistered. 

I think it is about

1. creating (not necessarily lifting, they should be progress based not x at y time) academic standards.

2. providing legal clarification of what needs done so we can legally prove we have done it if questioned.

3. to help identify those who aren't doing what they need to but are well intentioned so they can get help.

• Like 3

ETA- in our society, if we prioritized education by incentivizing these regulations by giving funds to help educate, it would probably be a boon for students. Imagine parents, meeting with an experienced homeschooling educator, who has a thoughtful curriculum and plan, and also keeps self track awareness with a portfolio. Now give the parents funds to buy curriculum and supplies, or a tax break, and see what that could do. At least some places have online courses for free for homeschoolers, but not all computer classes are good for everyone. Freedom to pick specialized curriculum, especially for therapy, remediation, and gifted kids, would help a lot. Good luck getting anyone to fund homeschooling in most states, though.

• Like 2

ETA- in our society, if we prioritized education by incentivizing these regulations by giving funds to help educate, it would probably be a boon for students. Imagine parents, meeting with an experienced homeschooling educator, who has a thoughtful curriculum and plan, and also keeps self track awareness with a portfolio. Now give the parents funds to buy curriculum and supplies, or a tax break, and see what that could do. At least some places have online courses for free for homeschoolers, but not all computer classes are good for everyone. Freedom to pick specialized curriculum, especially for therapy, remediation, and gifted kids, would help a lot. Good luck getting anyone to fund homeschooling in most states, though.

I think parents should have a choice between more oversight with funding and more freedom without funding.

I have done both at various points in time. The virtual charter when I wanted the stipend and PSA when I did not feel the hoops were worth the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I think a better way to get Ă¢â‚¬Ëœwelfare checksĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ on kids is to have universal healthcare, at least for children. And have free annual visits to a MD/PA/RN/ND as the parent sees fit. Tie the visit to a child tax credit and I am guessing you would get almost 100% compliance.

• Like 5

Okay, I don't understand this statement. Don't all states have compulsory education laws? Wouldn't a state dept of education oversee all types of schooling in order to see that all children of compulsory age have access to education?

Our state department of education is split into a dept of public education (which oversees public school districts and charter schools) and a dept of nonpublic education (which oversees private schools and homeschools). Is that unusual? I mean, what is going on in these no-regulation states? Don't private schools have to register? Aren't there safety guidelines and testing requirements that private schools have to adhere to? Why wouldn't it be the department of education overseeing private education?

ETA: I'm genuinely asking; no snark. I don't think I'm understanding what goes on down in Texas.

Edited by MinivanMom

Okay, I don't understand this statement. Don't all states have compulsory education laws? Wouldn't a state dept of education oversee all types of schooling in order to see that all children of compulsory age have access to education?

Our state department of education is split into a dept of public education (which oversees public school districts and charter schools) and a dept of nonpublic education (which oversees private schools and homeschools). Is that unusual? I mean, what is going on in these no-regulation states? Don't private schools have to register? Aren't there safety guidelines and testing requirements that private schools have to adhere to? Why wouldn't it be the department of education overseeing private education?

ETA: I'm genuinely asking; no snark. I don't think I'm understanding what goes on down in Texas.

I'm in Missouri, and our state has absolutely nothing to do with private schools. They don't certify or approve or accredit anything, unless that school receives public funds for whatever reason (something about registering then, but none of the other stuff). I'm sure many of them have accreditation through somewhere, but it's not required or checked.

• Like 1

As far as what regulations I think are reasonable:

1. Some sort of homeschool registration or notification, so that we know who is homeschooling versus who is simply truant. 

2. Some sort of common-sense education check. That could be submitting an education plan, having a portfolio review, or periodic standardized testing. Just something. It would be hoop-jumping for the types of parents who post on this forum, but I've seen it be a huge wake-up call for some homeschoolers.

3. A requirement to have a physical when starting kindergarten (as all public & private school kids are already required to do in our state).

• Like 1

I live in a province with zero oversight/regulations. If our kids were once registered in a public school board, then all we have to do is sign a letter of intent at the start of every school year saying we are homeschooling for that school year. And even that isn't *actually* written in stone law really. More of a "should", than a "must".

Some provinces have more oversight (sometimes that oversight comes along with funding to the homeschool family, which many families really appreciate). I'd actually be quite alright with oversight in my province - - BUT, not from the ministry of education, nor my local school board. The way I see it, they've messed up enough on their own jobs - I don't think they've got any business telling me how to educate my kids. I would, most probably, be fine with oversight via mandatory check-ins or bi-yearly "eyes on the kids" visits through our healthcare system. Or regulations handled by a third party organization. But NOT our provincial education ministry because...well, if I thought they knew what they were doing I would probably have left my kids in their school system.

As it stands, I'd rather no regs than having regulations overseen by the very people I'm trying to keep my kids AWAY from.

• Like 1

Generally, the law requires children to go to school, but it doesn't always oversee *private* schools. Because private. 

No, not all states require private schools to interact with the state at all. Texas is one of those states: no requirements of any kind for private schools. Because private. California requires private schools to file the Private School Affidavit (PSA) annually; the affidavit says what kind of school it is (all girls, all boys, co-ed; day school or boarding school; religious, non-religious; and so on). The law says that private school teachers must be "persons capable of teaching," but there's no definition of what that means. Private schools must "offer" the same subjects that public schools do, but there are no requirements for when and to what extent. And there are no requirements for private schools to prove to anyone what was done. There are no requirements for graduating, no requirements for number of school days, nada. Because private.

• Like 1

I am happy with a letter of intent or affidavit - informing the education department, not applying to them for permission. I do think that notifying them is a good idea, for general statistical data.

I like the pp's post about encouraging all families towards yearly physical/dental services. Access should be free or low cost, and completion should see some kind of reward, a tax credit. This shouldn't single out homeschooling families, because this is a parenting issue, not a schooling issue.

As for meeting standards, I'm willing to compromise by having to keep records and submitting a report card with a work sample. This would be at the end of the school year. The education department would have clear guidelines to ascertain if a report signals that the home school is struggling, at which point they make a friendly phone call offering support.

I'm not happy with my state's new regulations and I argued against them. I will obey the law, but I'm angry.

• Like 2

I'm happy to register, and I do wish more states did that for statistic purposes. It may not be popular, but I like the legitimacy factor and would love to be able to show better stats than we have access to today.  

My state does not give authorization for approval to districts, but my district likes to phrase their recognition letter as approval, and that chaps my hide.  Our former state liason never cared to address that, but there's a chance we might make some headway going forward.

There is a difference between what I consider reasonable, and what I think is needed.  I believe that all of my state's regulations (PA) are *reasonable*, except maybe the 3rd, 5th, and 8th testing.  I don't really think any of them are NEEDED.  Even ones I agree with in theory, like not being a criminal, specifically in the area of abuse, are somewhat easy to get around.  Do I think my district is pulling background checks on every registration? No.  But I suppose they could.  And maybe that should be a thing.  I still don't put full confidence in background checks, because no one is flagged until they're caught.  My own co-op requires them, but I don't know what people do in private.

The more I think about it, the more I might lean toward annual physicals, and I say that as a parent who doesn't currently do annual physicals.  NOT submitting medical records, but something even more basic than DMV learner's permit sections.  "I've seen Suzy Smith, XX/XX/XXXX.  Jack Sprat, MD."  A school district does not need Dr. Sprat's observations any more than Dr. Sprat needs the district's input.

• Like 4