Menu

What homeschool regulations do you think ARE reasonable?

ktgrok

I don’t think anyone mentioned it, but for those interested, there’s a website founded by exhomeschoolers. They are advocating for regulation of homeschooling.

https://www.responsiblehomeschooling.org

The regulations seem similar to a lot of what has been mentioned here. I was surprised that some states don’t even require notice to homeschool. I’d like to compare if those states are also no regulation for private schools too.

Edited by displace

I don’t think anyone mentioned it, but for those interested, there’s a website founded by exhomeschools. They are advocating for regulation of homeschooling.

https://www.responsiblehomeschooling.org

The regulations seem similar to a lot of what has been mentioned here. I was surprised that some states don’t even require notice to homeschool. I’d like to compare if those states are also no regulation for private schools too.

NJ requires no notification for homeschools, but does require a form be filled out to open a private school.  It looks like it's just registration unless the school is trying to get public funds, which comes with more requirements.

I'm not in favor of regulations. 

My oldest daughter had learning differences. She was also verbally abused/shamed/neglected by a public school teacher because of them.  She did not qualify for special services (normal intelligence).  Turns out she is high on the autism spectrum (but they did not have that DX when she was little.

I 'homeschooled' her as best as I could but she would NOT have been able to pass the state tests for her age group.  In high school she actually dd very little actual 'school'-- At the age of 19 we 'graduated' her... in reality she had about 5 high school credits total (being generous here).

DD desired to go to college like her friends so we told her she could go if she passed the placement test-- well she studied the sample tests and PASSED (barely).  She ended up graduating with HONORS.  Never saw that one coming-- but I'm still so PROUD of her!!!

Regulations would have forced dd back into public school.  DD would have been CRUSHED and college would have been out of reach.

In Texas we have to send a letter of intent IF we pull out a student previously enrolled in PS in order to homeschool.

I know several students who are PUBLIC SCHOOLED and they endured physical/emotional abuse by their parents...  it is not just a homeschool issue.

• Like 12

My oldest daughter had learning differences. She was also verbally abused/shamed/neglected by a public school teacher because of them.  She did not qualify for special services (normal intelligence).  Turns out she is high on the autism spectrum (but they did not have that DX when she was little.

I 'homeschooled' her as best as I could but she would NOT have been able to pass the state tests for her age group.  In high school she actually dd very little actual 'school'-- At the age of 19 we 'graduated' her... in reality she had about 5 high school credits total (being generous here).

DD desired to go to college like her friends so we told her she could go if she passed the placement test-- well she studied the sample tests and PASSED (barely).  She ended up graduating with HONORS.  Never saw that one coming-- but I'm still so PROUD of her!!!

Regulations would have forced dd back into public school.  DD would have been CRUSHED and college would have been out of reach.

In Texas we have to send a letter of intent IF we pull out a student previously enrolled in PS in order to homeschool.

I know several students who are PUBLIC SCHOOLED and they endured physical/emotional abuse by their parents...  it is not just a homeschool issue.

You know, of course, that I agree with your assessment of what would have happened to your dd if she had stayed in school (or had gone back). However, I will take issue on this one thing: Homeschoolers in Texas never, ever had to send a letter of intent to anyone at any time. Parents are advised to *withdraw* their children from their public schools; it is not required, but it is smart to do so, so that the school doesn't think the child is truant. That is not the same thing as a "letter of intent." :-)

This is what scares me about living in California right now.  I could live with Notice of Intent and a portfolio to show "yes, we did stuff this year" and an evaluator looks at it, says, "Yup, you sure did," and checks the box, kwim?  But now that the state legislature has taken special notice of us, we face actual loss of rights and it scares me.  

(edited to delete personal-ish details)

Edited by shinyhappypeople