Menu

More than 20 dead in Vegas

Katy

I just saw that my friend's daughter was there, celebrating her 20th birthday. She and her friends are unharmed. But I'm literally crying right now because they endured this terror. My poor friend!

• Like 6

Prayers for all the family, police, investigators, and anyone that I can't think to name right now.

I have a cousin that lives in LV and thankfully she posted that she was safe very early. I got Hulu live TV last night so I could watch the MLB postseason. Now I am just glued to the news. :(

• Like 1

Is anyone else surprised that the dude was 64?  I thought folks were supposed to have far more sense by that age.  Something seems odd.  I guess that will come out later.

This is the first I've heard; I wait until it all shakes out.  I really can't handle the blow-by-blow accounts with the misinformation mixed in.  But no, that doesn't surprise me.  Gaining wisdom, maturity, and sense isn't tied to age beyond having more opportunities to gain those things the older one is.

• Like 1

Is anyone else surprised that the dude was 64?  I thought folks were supposed to have far more sense by that age.  Something seems odd.  I guess that will come out later.

The shooter at the Republican Congressional baseball practice earlier this year was a 66-year-old man. There are obviously some angry, unhinged old guys out there.  :(

• Like 7

The shooter at the Republican Congressional baseball practice earlier this year was a 66-year-old man. There are obviously some angry, unhinged old guys out there.  :(

True.  I wish the first event (in modern history) had never happened.  It's inspired way too many copycats.  I'm afraid I don't see an end.  :sad:

I find it odd the news is showing pictures of a woman who was/is his roommate, but apparently not involved in this event? But none of him.

The age doesn't surprise me. Not everyone gets kinder with age.

I think it's because she had social media and he didn't. There is an eyes half closed photo of him going around now.

While searching for info on him I ran across a local sports fans forum who had people listening to police scanners in real time. The chaos was intense. People were panicking. The echoing gunshots sounded like multiple shooters up and down the strip. Taxis and Uber's were taking people out of the area for free up to ten to a car. It seems like the wounded were staggering into hotels further down the strip, so people thought they were being hit there.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=18555320

Edited by Barb_

I find it odd the news is showing pictures of a woman who was/is his roommate, but apparently not involved in this event? But none of him.

Early this morning they had not yet located her. I assume her picture started being circulated when she was a person of interest. She has since been located.

I'm wondering what his motive was, other than yay for get to slaughter innocent people. Disgusting and tragic.

I kind of don't want to know, because no matter his motive, it will be used as a political weapon by others.

• Like 6

there is one of him out there.  old white guy.  no record, owns a $400K house.  he used his live-in gf's cards to play slots, which was why they thought she was there.

wish he would have just shot himself first.

• Like 1

I wish they would stop the headlines that say "Deadliest mass shooting". I just imagine some other lunatic wanting to be famous for an even deadlier mass killing. I can barely read the news stories. This makes me sick. I can't even imagine the horror or what would make someone do this. They are reporting he had a fully automatic weapon. WHERE did he get that?

• Like 5

fully automatic weapons are not legal anywhere in the US, unless you have a very specialized permit, etc. (unless it was made before 1986, and then you still have to register it)

Nevada doesn't ban assault weapons.  An assault weapon is largely just a way a rifle looks; it doesn't have anything to do with whether it is automatic.

What this shooter had was likely an automatic weapon.

• Like 8

I was under the impression that they were trying to find her for a while; maybe that is why they had her pic all over the media.

fully automatic weapons are not legal anywhere in the US, unless you have a very specialized permit, etc. (unless it was made before 1986, and then you still have to register it)

Nevada doesn't ban assault weapons.  An assault weapon is largely just a way a rifle looks; it doesn't have anything to do with whether it is automatic.

What this shooter had was likely an automatic weapon.

Yes, so as long as the weapon fits within the federal law, it is legal in NV.

We don't know the details of this particular shooter's weapon.

So I'll rephrase - They CAN be legal in Nevada.

• Like 2

Rethinking News Coverage of Mass Shootings in the Age of Gun Violence

"A recent study showed that 30 percent of mass killings were potentially inspired by previous mass killings and singled out sensational, detailed news media coverage as a possible factor for this contagion."

Truth. There needs to be a change.

Yes, so as long as the weapon fits within the federal law, it is legal in NV.

We don't know the details of this particular shooter's weapon.

So I'll rephrase - They CAN be legal in Nevada.

I honestly will be shocked if the automatic weapon he had was possessed legally.  It's possible, but the federal regulations on fully automatic weapons are actually very strict and getting a license is very expensive.

• Like 6

Um, I'm not up on the laws regarding automatic weapons, but I think there was a time loophole when they were legal - one ban expired, before another began.

Also it's my understanding that it isn't illegal to own them, it's illegal to sell them.  So if you buy the parts and make it yourself, it's legal.

Again, not a gun nut, but I have some extended family members that happily are.  Like, guns and shooting are how they spend 70%+ of their free time.

Um, I'm not up on the laws regarding automatic weapons, but I think there was a time loophole when they were legal - one ban expired, before another began.

Also it's my understanding that it isn't illegal to own them, it's illegal to sell them.  So if you buy the parts and make it yourself, it's legal.

Again, not a gun nut, but I have some extended family members that happily are.  Like, guns and shooting are how they spend 70%+ of their free time.

It's not a loophole.  Current law bans possession of any automatic weapon manufactured after 1986. Automatic weapons manufactured prior to 1986 can be legally owned but those weapons require licensing and registration with the federal government.  Transfer of those weapons is also heavily regulated.  Buying one of those weapons is extremely expensive and it is mostly a collector market.

To the bolded...sort of.  It is only legal if you have a license to manufacture firearms and hold an FFL (Federal Firearms License).  You also may only sell those weapons to government entities.

Edited by ChocolateReignRemix
  • Like 1

I have no words.  No words.  

These make me sick. I want to go to a time where this never happens.   We need to have more gun control.  Now.  a year a go, 2 years ago, 15 years ago.  

My heart aches for all the people and their loved ones affected. 

Where was the guy?  Was he doing the shooting from the hotel room?   I have read there were 400-500 people shot.   

• Like 1

Is anyone else surprised that the dude was 64? I thought folks were supposed to have far more sense by that age. Something seems odd. I guess that will come out later.

A possible scenario is he has a mental illness, possibly undertreated or not treated. Some people lose their support systems as they age, and some may not have insurance.

I have no idea, I'm just speculating.

• Like 1

A possible scenario is he has a mental illness, possibly undertreated or not treated. Some people lose their support systems as they age, and some may not have insurance.

I thought that he might have had mental illness too.

I hate to see another mass shooting. I hope that there is never another mass shooting, ever. Those people were out there having a good time on a weekend. People getting shot at for no reason other than attending a concert or going to school is becoming frequent headline news.

I cannot change anything about it, so, I watch headlines news, get anxious and feel frustrated.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 1

Small insignificant person here ... what do you think we could do to help? I saw donating blood suggested up thread. Who would a person get in contact with to do that? What else could help?

• Like 3

Possible.  There is also a very strong anti-government movement in the part of Nevada where he lived.  Finding out he was connected to something like that would not shock me.

• Like 2

I cannot change anything about it, so, I watch headlines news, get anxious and feel frustrated.

Yes, you can.

You can educate yourself about gun violence in the US and your state.

You can educate yourself about state & federal gun laws.

You can support/join gun reform groups, attend meetings of your local chapter, attend gun reform events.

You can contact your Representatives in Congress or local representatives - email, tweet, FB, phonecall, etc and tell them you support gun reform.

You can write a letter to the editor in your local paper.

You can donate to/support candidates who support gun reform.

You can ask fellow parents if they have guns in the house & if they store them safely.

You can VOTE.

• Like 20

When I turned on the news this morning and saw what happened, I kept re-reading the news banner over and over again because I saw the number of victims and I kept thinking I must have read it wrong because there couldn't possibly have been that many people killed and injured. :crying:

• Like 2