Menu

Fools rush in...(Apologies!)

fairfarmhand

I just eat food, LOL.  My only weirdness is that I don't drink alcohol.  And big slabs of meat are not appetizing to me.  But I can eat them if that's what is served.  :P

I got so fat on my recent vacation because I was able, willing, and all too eager to eat everything that was served - reindeer, salmon, cream puffs, bring it on!

• Like 2

We do. We eat mostly homemade food I make from scratch but we're not above the occasional prepared meals. I eat gluten and carbs and gmo's and not organic. I eat very little red meat mostly because I don't like it. I try to eat healthy - lots of veggies and good proteins and fat. I use butter and olive oil and canola oil. I use sugar. I eat dairy. Sometimes I eat ice cream. We're pretty healthy.

I eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. (even though I've never read that book, I like that quote)

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

You made a new group for yourself, "from scratch" ;)

I eat a variety of things, but cannot handle spicy and have issues with some dairy. I think I'm lactose sensitive. I'm thinking about attending a potluck on Friday. I read one of the recipes and it calls for two sticks of cream cheese. I thought best for me to avoid that dish.

• Like 2

We don't follow any particular way of eating. Overall we shoot for healthy, of course. But what that looks like can vary a LOT from day to day. Our goal is healthy moderation achieved over time. No food is "good" or "bad" or is avoided at all costs. It's just food. 

• Like 4

You made a new group for yourself, "from scratch" ;)

I eat a variety of things, but cannot handle spicy and have issues with some dairy. I think I'm lactose sensitive. I'm thinking about attending a potluck on Friday. I read one of the recipes and it calls for two sticks of cream cheese. I thought best for me to avoid that dish.

I'm naming us

We're the "scratchies."

• Like 8

I did until I was in my mid 40's.  Now at 49 I have to watch/weigh/measure everything I eat or I gain weight FAST.

It started with food allergies and then blood sugar issues.  I spent the first 43/44 years of my life super thin.  Had 4 children and never was overweight.  I am not overweight now because I am careful.  My blood sugar is stable.  I'd love biscuits and homemade jam, but I can no longer eat it.

We raise our own beef/pork/eggs/fruit/veggies and I eat those just in weighed & measured portions.  It sucks.

• Like 1

I should add I am the only one so far with food allergies and they developed over time since I was about 30.  The latest is avocado.

I'd like to eat the food I grew up eating and that I prepared for my dh & children during the first 20 years of our marriage, but it is not possible.

Sausage gravy & biscuits sounds good right now.

• Like 1

I eat food and love food way too much.  Dh has to eat GF or else he would not do it for the fun of it.  He ends up sick as a dog.  DD and Dh are both allergic to shellfish although dh can eat scallops, mussels, clams where dd can not.  

We would all just eat regular food if we could.

I do.  I can eat almost anything.  It can be fancy, junky, from scratch, from a box, or take-out.  There aren't really any categories of food that I "can't eat."  I like to feed my friends, but it's gotten harder and harder to entertain over the last decade because everyone is so specialized.  I am having a gathering with my "eat anything" friends tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it.  I adore socializing over food.  I do feel like the last wheat eater on the planet sometimes.  Tomorrow we're having an assortment of homemade scones.  I make different kinds for different friends.  I'm very excited :-)  I'm also adding milk and sugar to my tea because I know how to party!

• Like 4

I used to eat good ol' food and it was yummy!! I switched to a plant based diet a couple of years ago because I was having health problems. I much prefer eating whatever I want - but I've adjusted. I can usually find food wherever we go and I don't expect any special meals- usually whatever is being served there's something I can eat.

Where I live everyone eats delicious food, lots of meat & sauces & desserts to die for. It's a huge part of our social gatherings. I usually don't mention that I'm plant based because it would be that weird here.

I probably eat worse than you do because I do not cook everything from scratch. We do have some packaged/boxed foods we like. For example, the Ol El Paso Enchilada kit. I was going to try making that dish from scratch but it was intimidating so DH suggested we try the kit and Hey Hey! It tastes great! 

I am more concerned about how much I eat, not what I eat. I deny myself very little. I seem to be in good health. At least my annual exam and blood panel always come out with good numbers.

• Like 1

We eat like you do. I am actually very much a "meat and potatoes" person. We tend to like meat, veggie and some side of grain. We rarely do pasta though. I often feel like the odd person out usually having to justify my family's meals from some of my friends. I am used to the backhanded remarks such as "well you are sooo fortunate that works for your family but we worry about X or haven't you heard about Y" I just let it go. My family is fit, healthy, rarely sick and brain faculties seem to be working :)

I guess I am part of the scratchies ;)

It sounds like you're in wonderful shape. How you eat is how I eat (for the most part), and unfortunately, I've got to make some changes. I've got health problems and my weight is too high. I'm researching the Mediterranean way of eating (dementia runs in the family) and will be beginning with two days a week. I'm hoping to "change over" to at least 4 Mediterranean days a week, and continue to work on the other three. I really need to incorporate red wine into my diet for my heart (I used to smoke), get moving with at least some walking, and, in general, just start taking better care of myself.

(edited** This is not a touchy area/subject to me. No offense was taken)

Edited by JBJones
  • Like 1

It sounds like you're in wonderful shape. How you eat is how I eat (for the most part), and unfortunately, I've got to make some changes. I've got health problems and my weight is too high. I'm researching the Mediterranean way of eating (dementia runs in the family) and will be beginning with two days a week. I'm hoping to "change over" to at least 4 Mediterranean days a week, and continue to work on the other three. I really need to incorporate red wine into my diet for my heart (I used to smoke), get moving with at least some walking, and, in general, just start taking better care of myself.

A Mediterranean way of eating is not a diet really. This is just the way a good portion of the world eats. I wouldn't put it into the camp of low carb or gluten free.

• Like 1

It seems like everyone I know eats a particular way.

Vegan

Low Carb

Gluten Free

Paleo

I often feel very alone in that I just eat food. I eat home made food, mostly cooked from scratch. Lots of it we've raised ourselves. Other than chicken, all of our pork, beef, and lamb we grew. Veggies, we grow them and they're fantastic. But I eat butter on my corn and sour cream on my baked potato. I bake biscuits form scratch. And I enjoy them with homemade jam.

Our family is very active and we have no allergy or weight issues.

I'm not condemning anyone for eating in a particular way. I'm just wondering if anyone is like me and just eats.....

Food.

A little of this, a lot of that (veggies), and a dab of this.

Help me not feel so alone. I feel like an unhealthy, I don't care about anything slob when I'm hanging out with some people because I don't follow any particular diet. (They're not rubbing it in my face or being pushy or anything but it does come up. They're very kind.)

FTR, my body is in great shape, cholesterol is awesome, weight in control, good energy.

I'm glad you aren't condemning people with allergies and celiac disease. I promise we would "eat normal" if it wouldn't harm or kill our children. It's not a fad or a choice. We're aiming for alive and well not trendy.

I hate it when people lump in true medical conditions with food fads. It's offensive. Feeding our kids is hard enough (and expensive, isolating, there are nutritional deficiencies to watch for and diseases that can ensue, it's just hard) without the healthy people complaining about being lonely in their healthy state.

You're a nice lady, fair farmhand, but I feel this needs to be said.

• Like 4

I just eat food. I'm overweight and trying to lose, but other than soft drinks, I'm not giving up any kinds of food. I'm just trying to eat less, eat healthier most of the time, and move more. I understand that some people have true medical conditions, but much of it seems to be fads. 

Edited by mom2scouts
  • Like 2

How nice for you that you have a choice.  And those who do have choices are often still trying to stave off being in a position where they no longer have a choice - ie. are trying to stave off diabetes for example.  I can see how feeding someone with food issues can be difficult but if you aren't feeding me and my family, what difference does it make to you? 

• Like 2

I did until I was in my mid 40's.  Now at 49 I have to watch/weigh/measure everything I eat or I gain weight FAST.

I've done that my whole adult life (I'm 54 now) and don't consider it anything special or unusual. But I don't restrict food groups. That's what I think the OP was referring to (being vegan, low carb, Paleo, etc.).

BTW - trying to find food when I am out or even at the grocery store to meet the needs of someone who needs to be totally gluten and dairy free is not easy.  Very very few people would choose such a diet just because it's a "fad".  Even with so many gluten free choices out there on the shelves, many of them really don't taste as good as the originals. 

I've done that my whole adult life (I'm 54 now) and don't consider it anything special or unusual. But I don't restrict food groups. That's what I think the OP was referring to (being vegan, low carb, Paleo, etc.).

But people who are vegan or vegetarian have specific reasons behind it even if it is often philosophical in origin.

Most people who are low carb or Paleo do it because of insulin resistance.  There are some good recipes out there but it's not like it's fun.

People who are gluten free do it because they react to gluten.  It may not be a true "allergy".  It may be an intolerance.  They might be like me and their auto-immune problems are exacerbated by gluten.  They might be like my daughter who has just been diagnosed celiac and has an auto-immune reaction specifically to gluten.

People who are dairy free do it because they react to dairy.  (Unless of course they are vegan in which case they still have reasons.)L 

People who react to nightshades like my daughter do it because they react to nightshades or else have arthritis 

Food restrictions are a huge PITA.  I would assume a diagnosis of masochism if someone just did it long term on a whim.  (Someone might try it short term on a whim but I doubt it would last long). 

• Like 2

Given that I have to deal with allergies, outside those restrictions, oh, yeah, I just eat food.  

I'm not eating a PITB diet just for my HEALTH, you know.  Haha.  Sorry, couldn't resist.  :0)

But people who are vegan or vegetarian have specific reasons behind it even if it is often philosophical in origin.

Most people who are low carb or Paleo do it because of insulin resistance.  There are some good recipes out there but it's not like it's fun.

People who are gluten free do it because they react to gluten.  It may not be a true "allergy".  It may be an intolerance.  They might be like me and their auto-immune problems are exacerbated by gluten.  They might be like my daughter who has just been diagnosed celiac and has an auto-immune reaction specifically to gluten.

People who are dairy free do it because they react to dairy.  (Unless of course they are vegan in which case they still have reasons.)L 

People who react to nightshades like my daughter do it because they react to nightshades or else have arthritis 

Food restrictions are a huge PITA.  I would assume a diagnosis of masochism if someone just did it long term on a whim.  (Someone might try it short term on a whim but I doubt it would last long). 

I don't know why you quoted me, but --

1. I never said people who chose a specific WOE don't do it for a reason; but

2. The people in my orbit who do it overwhelmingly do it by choice driven by fad, and because they think some magical WOE will make them lose weight w/o effort. Note I'm not speaking for everyone but for the people I know.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 3

Yes, we eat food here that doesn't follow any particular diet or fad. I've got a ton of food allergies, and still manage to eat a wide variety of foods. There are so many options out there, why would I limit myself to someone's idea of a "perfect diet?"  Just seems silly to me. No one stays on those diets for long anyway. Most humans can't keep that focused for long. ;)  The amount of self-discipline it takes to stay on a restrictive, labour intensive diet is huge. You have to be seriously motivated. Actually, that "cooking from scratch" diet is restrictive and labour intensive!  :laugh: You must be really invested in it. 

Edited by wintermom

Whenever I try to just 'eat food' I balloon up to 250+ pounds. I'm doing it now, just trying to eat and not care. I'm fat as a cow.

If I want to be not fat as a cow, it's low carb. That doesn't even address my food allergies and insulin issues :(

Edited by Arctic Mama

Whenever I try to just 'eat food' I balloon up to 250+ pounds. I'm doing it now, just trying to eat and not care. I'm fat as a cow.

If I want to be not fat as a cow, it's low carb. That doesn't even address my food allergies and insulin issues :(

My determined "just eat food" but in healthy moderation led me to a 50 lb weight gain in 2 years. I'm back on low carb but I hate drawing attention to the food I eat or my weight so I promise I am not boring or burdening people with my diet specifications.

• Like 1

Well for me it's two things:

1. I do need to lose a bunch of weight after 3 children.  I am the type to go all scorched Earth, so I will probably go on a very restrictive near starvation diet.  That's just my style.  I am either all in or not.  I plan to do this after my child's birthday party this weekend.  

2. I try to be intentional about what we eat as a family.  I try to consider animal welfare, environmental impact, health, budget, practicality and on and on.  I haven't found the balance there yet.  Everything seems to be "bad" these days.  If I am honest, I have to admit I'm overwhelmed.  I don't know where to draw the line.  

Add to that: a morbidly obese husband who has his own battles to fight, a picky bird eating 7 year old, and two little children.  No, we don't just eat food.  Honestly, I wish we didn't have to eat at all.

My determined "just eat food" but in healthy moderation led me to a 50 lb weight gain in 2 years. I'm back on low carb but I hate drawing attention to the food I eat or my weight so I promise I am not boring or burdening people with my diet specifications.

Yes.  I downplay my food issues big time around other people.  I'm trying to eat in a way that won't kill me but also trying not to inconvenience others because the judgment can be insane.  I've had people label as me as "just following a fad" or "just doing it on a whim" because they don't really understand the issues and don't want to understand the issues and it's so much easier for them to put on their judgey hat.  And yes, this is a hot button thing for me. 

As Spudz said, unless you are eating off of my plate or need to do all my cooking for me, it really isn't any of your business.  I will often bring my own food or at least a main dish when eating at someone's house so that they won't have to try to follow my restrictions. 

• Like 2

I'd give anything to just be able to eat food! Instead I'm this close to being full blown type 2 diabetic. I also have 2 kids with celiac. I've never been tested myself due to insurance reasons but I must avoid all gluten or I have very bad reactions. They aren't mild. I never cheat. Ever. It wouldn't be worth it. But I truly hate living decades with dietary restrictions and everywhere I go I can only eat a little of this or that. 

Most of my family just eats though. We grow a ton of food ourselves and I don't otherwise restrict my kids. I just try and provide as much good food as I can for them. And the grandparents try and provide as much dessert as possible. ;)

• Like 2

I just eat food.  That said, I do have some sensitivities so I try to stick to minimally processed and whole foods for the most part.  But I eat carbs, meat, dairy, etc.  And I am overweight.  I do have IBS and I've tried things like low carb, but I honestly just feel like garbage eating that way.  I think there is a bunch we don't know about weight and diet and gut health and hormones etc etc etc.  I'm sick of people saying just eat less.  I eat the same as the 3 stick figures I live with.

The people I know who label their diets are the ones who follow fads. Those with dietary restrictions for health reasons, at least those in my life, don't give their diets a label. 

I know one person with celiac. She doesn't label her diet gluten free. She just doesn't eat gluten. The ones I know who say they're gluten free are the ones who think gluten is evil for all people (and I've seen them cheat which shows they really don't have a problem with gluten).

The people I know with diabetes don't call their diet low-carb. They just follow a certain diet. Those I know who make sure everyone knows they eat low-carb are the fad followers. 

And so on.

I know two people who were vegetarian who now eat paleo. The sad part is how it affected one person's son. Her son was raised constantly being told we don't eat animals because it's wrong. Then when he was nine years old suddenly the majority of their diet consisted of the animals he was raised to think it's wrong to eat. (The other one was vegetarian but her husband and kids weren't. She's now eating paleo but at least she doesn't pull her kids into her diet of the month).

I took fairfarmhand's post to not include those with actual dietary restrictions but those who eat a certain way because it's popular to do so. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 6

The people I know who label their diets are the ones who follow fads. Those with dietary restrictions for health reasons, at least those in my life, don't give their diets a label.

I know one person with celiac. She doesn't label her diet gluten free. She just doesn't eat gluten. The ones I know who say they're gluten free are the ones who think gluten is evil for all people (and I've seen them cheat which shows they really don't have a problem with gluten).

The people I know with diabetes don't call their diet low-carb. They just follow a certain diet. Those I know who make sure everyone knows they eat low-carb are the fad followers.

And so on.

I know two people who were vegetarian who now eat paleo. The sad part is how it affected one person's son. Her son was raised constantly being told we don't eat animals because it's wrong. Then when he was nine years old suddenly the majority of their diet consisted of the animals he was raised to think it's wrong to eat. (The other one was vegetarian but her husband and kids weren't. She's now eating paleo but at least she doesn't pull her kids into her diet of the month).

I took fairfarmhand's post to not include those with actual dietary restrictions but those who eat a certain way because it's popular to do so.

We have legit celiac here (dx'ed by gastroenterologist); we usually say "gluten free" so people will know what we're talking about. If the fad people have co-opted that, I guess we'd better go back to stating celiac outright.

One of my boys hates to talk about it. He tends to take just his own food most places (he's also a warfarin patient, so the warf diet plus celiac gets pretty specific). If someone wants to know why he's not sharing in whatever's being offered, he'll usually say, "thank you, but I can't eat wheat." It's actually any gluten plus a bunch of other stuff, but he finds that the least said, the less drama and discussion.

So I guess even though we've been saying gf since everybody figured that out, we fit your usual experience in that we downplay, fend for ourselves, and discuss it only when absolutely necessary. For those of us who have no choice, the novelty wore off eons ago; we don't want to be defined by our health problems so we keep it to ourselves when possible.

• Like 2

I've never announced to a crowd what I'm eating but I've gotten plenty of stupid comments about my bunless burgers. So, maybe, if you are noticing a lot of oddball eaters out there, the issue is with you and not them.

• Like 5

I really need to incorporate red wine into my diet for my heart

I recently heard that it doesn't matter if you drink red wine or something else... that those studies that said red wine was better didn't adjust for SES. Now, Googling for it, I found this study from 2012 that says it doesn't matter, as long as you drink some moderate amount of *some* sort of alcohol, but I'm not sure if there are more recent more definitive studies.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3237714/

I just eat food. Sometimes from scratch, sometimes not. I don't have the energy to set up a double-blind study to see if I'm allergic to something. Though I'm sure that if I were to just eliminate all food, that would solve my health problems. 

• Like 1

I watch carbs (for 20 years now).  Went lower the past year to lose some weight.  But there is nothing "fake" about the food I eat.  I do so because there are a lot of diabetics in my family and I've seen what a terrible disease it is and don't want to endure that. 

What exactly does it mean to "eat food anymore"?  Does this mean eat whatever I want whenever in whatever quantities?  KWIM?  I haven't been noshing on metal, glass, or any other non edibles.  So what EXACTLY is the question?

• Like 4