Menu

"Kids" content that is totally innappropriate

Katy

I know a woman who wouldn't let her kids watch SpongeBob just because she was totally annoyed by the sound of his voice

Okay, so, that woman is me :leaving:

You and me. Not a single episode has ever been viewed in my household simply bc I can't even handle the sound of his voice in commercials without switching the channel. lol

• Like 8

I know a woman who wouldn't let her kids watch SpongeBob just because she was totally annoyed by the sound of his voice

Okay, so, that woman is me  :leaving:

:lol:  Sandy the Squirrel is the killer for me. She's worse than SB. 

ETA: (Can we add Cailou to the list?) 

Edited by texasmom33

I always felt a little bad for stepmoms because of the cartoon/movies that use the wicked stepmother storyline. Even though we are Christian we became pretty liberal with what dd can watch once she was 10ish because we discuss the stuff. She handles things pretty well and is quite level-headed. We are most strict with sexual content. She has been great about researching the different anime shows herself before deciding to watch one. 

Ds on the other hand has always been very susceptible to implanted thoughts. After he saw the first Harry Potter at 11ish, he took a weird turn because of Harry being raised by the uncle/aunt and how they were trying to hold him back from his destiny and how they treated their bio child vs how they treated Harry etc. Yeah, he practically had to be re-programmed after that. He was at his grandparents house and, so I was not there to veto or provide any balance. He had an extra chip on his shoulders for the longest time. I finally just blurted out one day that he is not a great wizard being brainwashed by evil guardians and kept from his destiny. And I had to keep reminding him that he and dd had the same number of chores that were rotated weekly :001_rolleyes: .  

You just have to know your kids and what they can handle and what they are susceptible to.

ETA: Please nobody jump on me for being anti-HP.  :lol:  I am not. I know that the part I mentioned is like the tiniest segment of the first movie, it just happened to be what stuck with ds. We avoided anything that had the bad guardian storyline (Annie etc) strictly with ds.

Edited by jewellsmommy
  • Like 4

Ack! YES! That is the whiniest kid I have ever heard!!! Dd loved that show though. When we got the dvds, I played the French language ones, because I could tolerate it slightly better  :lol: . I thought, worst case scenario, she picks up some french.  :lol:

Just have to put a shout out to Steve. I loved Steve from Blue's Clues. Now that was a great kid's show.

• Like 5

Really? I love Zootopia. What did you object to?

I had a mother upset with me once because I let her son watch a violent movie during a sleepover. He was 12ish and it was the first Jurassic Park. In a million years would I have thought that that movie would upset a parent.

And I'm confused by this because I would never just assume that a PG13 movie was OK for a 12 year old without consulting the child's parents.

• Like 5

When I worked at a theatre people would often call to ask if a particular show was suitable for children (or for an 8-year-old/a 12-year-old etc.). We quickly learned that there was almost never one simple answer to that question; people's ideas about what is suitable at any given age vary so much. It depends on both the parents and the children in question. Instead we would offer to describe the plot and language of the production, or answer any questions about the content.

Over a year ago Dh and I went to see a local performance of a play. Dh wanted to know if the kids would enjoy it, so he asked two people. Both who where involved in the production. Neither would straight out say yes or no. My boys would have been maybe 10 and 11 at the time.

The play, which we had very little information about was called coakraoches. (Or something similar) it starred a couple living in a small crampy apartment. Both regretting their live together, both going crazy and talking about sucide, death, drinking... and at least one of them thinking that the roaches in the walls were talking to him/her.

I still can't believe that both adults we talked to weren't able to confidently answer the question of, "would two young boys enjoy the play?"

• Like 2

Ack! YES! That is the whiniest kid I have ever heard!!! Dd loved that show though. When we got the dvds, I played the French language ones, because I could tolerate it slightly better  :lol: . I thought, worst case scenario, she picks up some french.  :lol:

Just have to put a shout out to Steve. I loved Steve from Blue's Clues. Now that was a great kid's show.

We loved Blue's Clues!! Steve was our favorite only behind Imagination Movers. I have been trying to find Imagination Movers on DVD but we can't find it anywhere. I have Blue's Clues through Apple (we don't have cable anymore ) though, but I haven't been able to find the IM anywhere. :( They are going to outgrow Blue's Clues soon and that makes me sad. 

I don't generally worry about subtle, implied or euphemistic content in kids movies.  There are two movies that taught me that kids just don't get it anyway.  Even very smart ones.  I consider myself pretty smart.  Not exactly GIFTED, but pretty smart.  And I will never when I first watched both Goonies AND Dirty Dancing as an adult.  Watched both with my jaws on the floor.

Dirty Dancing in particular.  I was like 10 or 11 when I saw it.  My parents did NOT allow it, but the parent of a friend of mine didn't care so we watched it there.  And then spent hours skating in the friend's basement to "time of my life" trying to pretend we were on Ice Capades lol.  My parents were HORRIFIED when they learned my sister and I had watched it.  We knew we weren't supposed to and got in trouble for that but really, neither of us had any questions.  It was a fun dance movie with the prince saves the princess type storyline.  Then...I watched it as an adult.  OMG!  It was like my sheltered world had been destroyed!

After that, I realized that kids don't really catch as much as we thing.  Sometimes they do, but really, they don't have the ability to understand some of the nuances that we think they are catching.  I am not saying kids are dumb, I am just saying that from a standpoint of maturity, a lot of things really do tend to just fly over their heads.

Now having said that....scary/gory crap, graphic violence etc....I don't do that at all.  My mom let my oldest watch Jurassic Park.....when she was FOUR.  I was less than pleased.  Thankfully, no nightmares.  I will never forget being unable to sleep after seeing the Thriller music video.  That's actually the reason my parents got rid of cable lol. 

I grew up watching Hee Haw. When my son was about seven or eight, I remembered the show and decided to watch an episode before I introduced him to it. Boy, am I glad he did! It was a truly awful show - derogatory jokes, innuendoes, just, oh, wow. I can't believe my mom let us watch that! 

• Like 2

We loved Blue's Clues!! Steve was our favorite only behind Imagination Movers. I have been trying to find Imagination Movers on DVD but we can't find it anywhere. I have Blue's Clues through Apple (we don't have cable anymore ) though, but I haven't been able to find the IM anywhere. :( They are going to outgrow Blue's Clues soon and that makes me sad.

Blues Clues helped my speech delayed ds4 learn to communicate.

• Like 4

I don't generally worry about subtle, implied or euphemistic content in kids movies.  There are two movies that taught me that kids just don't get it anyway.  Even very smart ones.  I consider myself pretty smart.  Not exactly GIFTED, but pretty smart.  And I will never when I first watched both Goonies AND Dirty Dancing as an adult.  Watched both with my jaws on the floor.

Dirty Dancing in particular.  I was like 10 or 11 when I saw it.  My parents did NOT allow it, but the parent of a friend of mine didn't care so we watched it there.  And then spent hours skating in the friend's basement to "time of my life" trying to pretend we were on Ice Capades lol.  My parents were HORRIFIED when they learned my sister and I had watched it.  We knew we weren't supposed to and got in trouble for that but really, neither of us had any questions.  It was a fun dance movie with the prince saves the princess type storyline.  Then...I watched it as an adult.  OMG!  It was like my sheltered world had been destroyed!

After that, I realized that kids don't really catch as much as we thing.  Sometimes they do, but really, they don't have the ability to understand some of the nuances that we think they are catching.  I am not saying kids are dumb, I am just saying that from a standpoint of maturity, a lot of things really do tend to just fly over their heads.

Now having said that....scary/gory crap, graphic violence etc....I don't do that at all.  My mom let my oldest watch Jurassic Park.....when she was FOUR.  I was less than pleased.  Thankfully, no nightmares.  I will never forget being unable to sleep after seeing the Thriller music video.  That's actually the reason my parents got rid of cable lol.

A few years ago I watched dirty dancing for the first time as an adult. I was going to pay close attention to see if they ever hinted that Baby and what's-his-name were anything other than friends. ... turns out I didn't have to pay close attention to figure it out.

I do think I had only ever previously watched an edited for tv version.

Dd is 14 (about to be 15) but we still watch Peep and the Big Wide World together. I love Joan Cusack's voice and storytelling. It's funny how nostalgic dd and I can both be over these things. 

• Like 5

Oh boy, don't even mention Caillou. That show is inappropriate for kids on a whole other level.

Edited by meena
  • Like 5

My kids have and love Popular Mechanics for Kids. But I dislike how the hosts use words like "idiot" and "stupid." Those DVDs have won awards and they teach amazing things except for those words.

For me, it isn't so much the kiddo content being bad, but when we travel and are in a hotel room...it's the commercials that make us mute and switch channels. Innuendo. Body parts. I recall one night a VS commercial kept coming on the screen, tawdry and all that. My son was like "what's that why doe she look like that?" Sigh. In my head I said, "Because she's never had four babies pop out of her. And if she has, then she has money to afford fake body parts."

Food Network. Now there's a safe zone for parents!! Except maybe that time they cooked bull testicles and the kids were like, "Huh? Daddy, can I eat my testicles?...well, why do people eat a bull's testicles...have you ever eaten bull's testicles?" We just weren't prepared to discuss the finer delicacies of the Rocky Mountain Oyster.

• Like 1

RE: Minions... The whole movie series starts with them happily working for the bad guy! They're *minions*. Also the stars of a $10.50 nap I took in a movie theater.

My kids say that the Aunt and Uncle in HP were corrupted by the Horcrux (Harry) ... my DH (who despises HP) says it was an intentional plot to protect Harry from notice all along lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You should hear DH rant about his "Dumbledore manipulated everything" conspiracy theories. Right up there with his griping about wiping out the extended canon of Star Wars with the new films. I need a sign for my front door, warning visitors of the disgruntled nerds living inside.

• Like 6

You can't trust the advisory ratings IMO. I have shown my kids MA (15 and over) stuff that I thought was very tame, and I have seen PG and even G films that I thought had quite unsuitable content for our family.  I generally check things on Commonsense Media first, not to get their age recommendations but to look for specific things that concerned people and compare that to what things concern us (eg I don't restrict 'language' so if something has only be rated up because of coarse language I'd let the kids watch it). But even then you can't always rely on it.

My biggest personal beef is with the way they always include sly little jokes (often sexual and not infrequently anti-woman) that are meant for only the adults to get. My kids will very often notice and ask about those things that reviewers tell you that kids won't notice. For that reason we have watched a lot of older, 'classic' films. Also, it's a sign of a really good quality kids' movie that it can be enjoyed by all ages without any gimmicks like hidden 'adult' jokes. 

Edited by IsabelC
  • Like 3

Really? I never saw that movie. This makes me sad. They are sooo cute. Appearances can be deceiving.

Well, sure, they're looking for an evil villain to follow (and had been for awhile) and then they end up with Gru who is really the most inept evil villain who adopts these three siblings because he wants to use their cookie selling to get access to this shrink ray. But along the way, evil villain becomes good guy and loving father. Minions take care of girls creating a toilet brush unicorn when a little girl loses hers.

And it involves a hard of hearing Doctor Nefario. And boogie robots. And in another movie, there's a gal named Lucy. And a wedding. And a minion version of "I Swear" which is pretty funny and a little sweet.

tbh, if it had been just sweet and funny minions, it would have been a boring movie franchise.

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 6

Hansel and Gretel. It has the witch holding a kitchen knife to the throats of Hansel. I wish it had been rated pg. I have little ors who act out and copy what they see. I am usually very very careful what I let them see because of this.we are now sticking to DVDs, mostly magic school bus and animal documentaries

• Like 2

The thing about innuendo is that age appropriateness is built in. It goes right over the kids' heads and gives a layer of entertainment for the adults that can make a movie or show more entertaining. The same is true of pop culture references or classic TV/movie parodies often thrown in to kids' entertainment.

Except when you're a foster child and the innuendo IS triggering to kids even if they don't comprehend why. 

And I disagree with the concept that just because something goes over a child's head it doesn't affect them. Perhaps not the sexual innuendo for kids who've been protected the way they should, but kids watching movies where it's acceptable to assume the worst of people who are different, fat shame, cower to an alpha female who controls a bunch of little mean girls, get familiar with classic stoner cultural references, and other idiotic content.

But it's not necessarily. If you have a smart kid, at 4 or 5,  who sees what gives a laugh and has a memory like a steel trap, you end up with them repeating it even if they don't "get" it, trying to be funny. I know, because I have one of them. We have to be very careful with what he's exposed to that way, and I highly doubt he's close to the only kid like that. 

I personally appreciate movies that are geared towards kids and don't give thoughts to entertaining adults. But 90% don't. Instead they care more about the adults than the kids. It seemed to shift sometime around when all of the Judd Apatow movies came out......it's trickled down or something I guess. Whatever it is, it's making it harder and harder to find appropriate movies for the younger set, and they don't understand why they can't see the new movie out even if it's rated PG. But there is just soooo much out there that just isn't really geared towards kids. They're more worried about entertaining the parents. I wish they wouldn't, because most people should be able to suck up 1.5 hours of something for their kids. 

We cave sometimes, like on Sing. I really think there were a zillion songs they could've found besides I Like Big Butts. It actually pissed me off that of ALL the pop songs in the world, that's the one they had to include. But the rest of the movie was actually pretty good, so we gave it a pass because there isn't much else as an option and MIL was desperate to take them. But I wish we didn't have to compromise. Most else out there though is even worse. I just think it's sad. I was impressed that the Smurfs movie actually was something not trying to cater to grown ups. Props to them. 

This too.  Sometimes I'll let them watch something then fast forward past the inappropriate parts.  Mostly I try to find older content from before innuendo.

It's got a pretty screwed up POV for adopted/abandoned children to interneralize. Granted my kids aren't in either category, but I still didn't think it a healthy depiction of a very sensitive topic.

Yeah, Finding Nemo and Finding Dory are two I've heard warned against for foster parents.  Those parents are fighting to get their kids back.  If you're in foster care, there's a fairly good chance that your parents are NOT doing everything they need to do to get you back.  So it can be super traumatic for the kids who are in the process of figuring out that their bio parents aren't fighting for them. And no matter how careful you are to say that it is not a child's fault, that they are a wonderful child, kids tend to internalize this as a sort of primal rejection.  Obviously you want children to work through those feelings eventually, but sometimes kids aren't ready for that until a bit later than the age group a movie is marketed for.

I think she's talking about how Dory got separated from her parents.

Not just the separation, but the working to get Dory back.

Absolutely true for most kids.  Absolutely not true for all kids.  I used to think trigger warnings for college classes were a joke.  Seriously, you know there is violence and abuse in that literature class.  But I wish they were there for kids content, or at least that Netflix had an ability to filter certain content out.

• Like 1

I had a mother upset with me once because I let her son watch a violent movie during a sleepover. He was 12ish and it was the first Jurassic Park. In a million years would I have thought that that movie would upset a parent.

My SIL let my nephew watch Jurassic Park at age 4; she wanted to show it when my dd was over there (age 3). Um, no, unless you're going to be dealing with the nightmares. 

Huh, I guess I am just a liberal mom then, I don't find any of these objectionable.  And Zootopia gets high marks from Common Sense Media.

I don't know anything about SAHARA but it looks like it didn't get good ratings anyway and my kids are no longer interested in these types of movies.

My friend was very upset with the Lego Batman movie, something about sexuality, but I haven't seen that either.  My kids have, they are teens.

I don't know of too many cartoons we didn't allow when they were young.  I thought some of them were stupid, and I  hated all the fart jokes, but I didn't find it particularly offensive.  

Now, if there were any hint of racism, that would upset me greatly, or making fun of someone with no redemption for the character, but otherwise......

I'm with you. I'm pretty open to "kids' programming". I do pre-watch if it's not animated because violence, even computer-generated, affects mine, but if it's a cartoon, I figure most of the "adult" jokes would go over their heads at their ages. A kid's cartoon's storyline works at that level, and my kids tended to follow it at that level.

As for nudist colonies in Zootopia, my mother lives near one. We've discussed how people there don't wear clothing so the kids probably don't want to wander too far down the beach haha! My kids were watching Sahara a couple of weeks ago when youngest was sick with an ear infection; now granted, I didn't pay too much attention to it, but I didn't notice anything nasty.

• Like 1

I will agree that commercials are 100 times worse than any of the shows or movies. I get really frustrated bc we will be watching... oh.., idk.. something with a G or maybe PG rating for the occasional mild cuss word or cheesy fight scene. And the commercial will suddenly be for something like the next chainsaw massacre movie or some penis enhancing miracle drug. Just.., wth? What ever happened to proper product placement?!

Commercials are a major reason why we don't watch much tv. If I can't akip the commercials, I'd rather not watch it. I'll just wait a season or two to stream it from elsewhere.

• Like 7

I've learned through the years that I tell parents ahead of time, "we'll be watching xyZ movie, if that's okay"

Because families have such different standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

My kids have and love Popular Mechanics for Kids. But I dislike how the hosts use words like "idiot" and "stupid." Those DVDs have won awards and they teach amazing things except for those words.

For me, it isn't so much the kiddo content being bad, but when we travel and are in a hotel room...it's the commercials that make us mute and switch channels. Innuendo. Body parts. I recall one night a VS commercial kept coming on the screen, tawdry and all that. My son was like "what's that why doe she look like that?" Sigh. In my head I said, "Because she's never had four babies pop out of her. And if she has, then she has money to afford fake body parts."

Food Network. Now there's a safe zone for parents!! Except maybe that time they cooked bull testicles and the kids were like, "Huh? Daddy, can I eat my testicles?...well, why do people eat a bull's testicles...have you ever eaten bull's testicles?" We just weren't prepared to discuss the finer delicacies of the Rocky Mountain Oyster.

Agree.  I also get irritated that the boy lead is belittled constantly by the girl lead.  I hate the "men are stupid" trend, and I dislike seeing it in kids' shows especially.  Such a disappointment.  I still let them watch it, but sheesh.  

As for what's appropriate and what isn't... I may be unique in that I would prefer my kids watch Malcom in the Middle to Peppa Pig.  Peppa is the most bratty, obnoxious character ever, but it just makes her parents laugh at her lovingly.  At least Malcom and his brothers get attacked from time to time by their mother...  

I'd rather my kids watch a good PG movie than a stupid G movie.  

I love common sense media for giving a pretty good, non-judgy review of what topics are in the film.  After that, I can decide for myself.  

• Like 7

I do think I had only ever previously watched an edited for tv version.

I have been shocked, absolutely shocked, when I rented movies I had only seen in the edited for TV versions as a child. Ghostbusters, oh wow.

• Like 3

I have been shocked, absolutely shocked, when I rented movies I had only seen in the edited for TV versions as a child. Ghostbusters, oh wow.

Yeah we had to shut that one off too. I had totally not caught the dream part apparently as a kid. Or else it was edited. But yeah. The 80's had some perverted standards on kid targeted movies.

Okay, so, that woman is me  :leaving:

I make my kids watch it in another room.  I hate SpongeBob, I find it very annoying.

And I'm confused by this because I would never just assume that a PG13 movie was OK for a 12 year old without consulting the child's parents.

Jurassic Park was shown to my 3-4 year old at the babysitter's house, where there were older kids also (7-8 yo).  I was furious.  "It didn't occur to her" that I would mind.

• Like 3

Wait a minute. Some people don't think kids should watch "Malcolm in the Middle"? My son and I used to watch that show together and laugh about how it could be a documentary about our family. :leaving:

Malcolm in the Middle *is* my family... except add two more boys. My husband calls me Lois, and I call him Hal.

Edited by Kinsa

Secret Life Of Pets blew me away. I expected it to be this sweetsie little film about pets and how cute/mischievous they are when they're living their lives outside of human eyes based on the trailer. BWAHAHA. No. So violent.

My big kids also cried at Lego Batman because Batman was so very awful to Robin. Especially in the scene where Robin was asking if Batman would adopt him. Shoot, I cried there with how heartless Batman was being. My kids may have called him BatButt after that because he was being such a butt. 

Really, the worst problem I had with a kids movie was Alladin - the Disney version.  My kids were so snarky after seeing that movie.

I'm fairly tolerant as far as movies go for kids - things that will scare them I avoid, but on a case by case basis with the child..  I don't like certain kinds of violence or sexual content but they'd be pretty obvious - they've all seen Ghostbusters and Goonies and Dirty Dancing and Flashdance.  Though, in a way I kind of prefer those to kids movies with a lot of sneaky adult references.  Sometimes those work but a lot of times I find them a little cheap and like they somehow end up bleeding some of the real focus of the story.

The ratings system is so tricky - my dh was very against them seeing anything PG13 at one point until I pointed out that included things like Narnia.  But I've seen others with content I though was too adult.  And then adult movies that would have been fine.

Probably the worst case we say with my kids at other people's houses was when my dd7 saw The Walking Dead at a neighbours house.  It was the older brother watching rather than the parents, but it seemed like it should be obvious even to a 15 year old that was a bad idea, but I guess all the kids in that household liked horror movies.  Anyway, I just told her not to watch things like that because they would scare her.

I used to think trigger warnings for college classes were a joke. Seriously, you know there is violence and abuse in that literature class.

For people who still think that way, the trigger warning is so you can prepare yourself for specific things which might lead to a flashback or a shutdown or whatever. So if your teacher says "Next class, our reading does involve a rape scene which we'll be discussing", you can mentally prepare before you go into class.

It's like, if you live on a street with a veteran with PTSD, it's nice to let them know when you're setting off your fireworks. Sure, they know it's the fourth of July, but they might appreciate knowing that it'll only be between 8 and 8:30 instead of sitting around waiting for another one all day.

(Probably better not to set them off at all, but you can't convince people. It's illegal here, and I try not to be a buzzkill on the actual holiday, but every year, for weeks after, I'm calling 911 to report that more people are setting the stupid things off. I don't have PTSD, but I do have pets and I do have family members in the house who get migraines easily. None of this nonsense, please.)

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 5

That's a word I've not heard before. I hearby warn anyone who might use it in the UK

Haha, I forget that part of the word means, um, well definitely not arguing the pointless minutiae of fictional canon. Ironically, I first heard it from a fellow fandom member who lives in the UK.

Then again, I probably shouldn't have written that on a thread where people are shocked to hear about nudist colonies in animated movies. Which I find weird, because at least once a week I'm yelling at kids to "go put some clothes on, I'm not running a nudist colony in this house!".

Threads like these always feed my social anxiety, especially with other homeschoolers, because I'm always afraid I'll get to know someone, and then they'll suddenly run off dragging their kids in one hand and clutching their pearls in the other. I LOVED growing up and realizing all the innuendo that went right over my head as a kid. I'm always surprised when others don't find that amusing. I'm not telling raunchy jokes or cursing publicly (I physically cannot curse), but I giggle at "inappropriate" and immature things. Makes me feel very uncomfortable when others are appalled by that. It would probably be a friendship killer.

• Like 7

Haha, I forget that part of the word means, um, well definitely not arguing the pointless minutiae of fictional canon. Ironically, I first heard it from a fellow fandom member who lives in the UK.

Then again, I probably shouldn't have written that on a thread where people are shocked to hear about nudist colonies in animated movies. Which I find weird, because at least once a week I'm yelling at kids to "go put some clothes on, I'm not running a nudist colony in this house!".

Threads like these always feed my social anxiety, especially with other homeschoolers, because I'm always afraid I'll get to know someone, and then they'll suddenly run off dragging their kids in one hand and clutching their pearls in the other. I LOVED growing up and realizing all the innuendo that went right over my head as a kid. I'm always surprised when others don't find that amusing. I'm not telling raunchy jokes or cursing publicly (I physically cannot curse), but I giggle at "inappropriate" and immature things. Makes me feel very uncomfortable when others are appalled by that. It would probably be a friendship killer.

It wouldn't and hasn't ruined any of my friendships bc *adults* giggling over adult topics doesn't bother me.Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€°

And I'm sure there's some people who are horrified by what my kids are allowed. Oh well. That's why they have their own kids to parent. And that's usually my attitude about parents who let their kids do stuff I don't.

I grew up watching Hee Haw. When my son was about seven or eight, I remembered the show and decided to watch an episode before I introduced him to it. Boy, am I glad he did! It was a truly awful show - derogatory jokes, innuendoes, just, oh, wow. I can't believe my mom let us watch that!

I remember watching this as a kid along with Three's Company and George Carlin! My parents were VERY liberal. Amazing I made it through my youth functional ;)

With that said, I decided to introduce my daughter to Punky Brewster which was my favorite show as a kid. Oh my word! First season and even second season were cringe worthy sometimes but by the time we got to 3rd season we had to abandon the show. One episode has girls trying to push drugs (my 7 year old has no idea what alcohol is let alone drugs!) One about an abducted girl etc etc. Then the worst of the worst Punky ' s cousin comes for a visit and she is overweight. She makes fun of herself non stop and so Punky and friends start dieting and working out while doing public weight recording. It was atrocious. The whole episode was very unconforable. Not that body health is a bad thing to show children but the way they did it...very 80s.

Having gone back and watched some 80s cartoons there was so many innapropriate moments and insulting language. Garfield is really bad! I was shocked to watch it as an adult.

Everyone keeps saying they are or their parents were "very liberal" - maybe but I bet not. Or maybe I am just confused again about the concept of liberal vs conservative because I never seem to fit either as neatly as everyone else seems to do.

My parents had ZERO concept of childhood or protecting children from adult things. There were no adult things. Everything was just life and kids were expected to adapt and conform to the adult environment. Which really this is how most of history was too. The concept of protecting the innocent psych of children and giving them a childhood suited to their developmental ability as it's being discussed in modern terms is fairly new to most cultures. And yet, I bet not a single person on this board would call my parents liberal. Unless it was as an epithet. Maybe that's just me projecting my opinion though...? My dad thinks the entire premise of not discussing details of his sex life or violence and more around even very young children is flat out stupid and raising a generation of "ignorant pansies and snowflakes." I don't think that makes him liberal or conservative though.

I do not think letting my kids watch Harry Potter makes me liberal.

I do not think refusing to let my kids watch Zootopia again makes me concervative.

I'm just a mom trying not to completely screw up my kids same as everyone else.

• Like 6

Everyone keeps saying they are or their parents were "very liberal" - maybe but I bet not. Or maybe I am just confused again about the concept of liberal vs conservative because I never seem to fit either as neatly as everyone else seems to do.

My parents had ZERO concept of childhood or protecting children from adult things. There were no adult things. Everything was just life and kids were expected to adapt and conform to the adult environment. Which really this is how most of history was too. The concept of protecting the innocent psych of children and giving them a childhood suited to their developmental ability as it's being discussed in modern terms is fairly new to most cultures. And yet, I bet not a single person on this board would call my parents liberal. Unless it was as an epithet. Maybe that's just me projecting my opinion though...? My dad thinks the entire premise of not discussing details of his sex life or violence and more around even very young children is flat out stupid and raising a generation of "ignorant pansies and snowflakes." I don't think that makes him liberal or conservative though.

I do not think refusing to let my kids watch Zootopia again makes me concervative.

I think I would agree with you and your dad on the violence thing, but maybe not the entire sex thing.

I think kids need the proper names for their body parts at young ages and they need to be taught about private parts and who sees them and who doesn't. I appreciate our pediatrician's stance on it. When she looks "down there" briefly in their well-child exams, she says, "And I am only doing this because your mommy is here and no one else should be looking down here. This is part of our doctor's visit today to look and make sure all the parts of your body are healthy." Since my eldest is newly 7 years old, we have not had the "sex" talk yet - we plan to probably around third grade as that was the age both DH and I parents sat down with us and discussed the topic.

Regarding violence, I actually think we need to prepare kids for violence just as we prepare them for a fire or for a tornado (where I live there can be tornadoes) or teaching them to swim. I hate this is part of our culture, but my hate for it won't prevent me from talking it with the kids. Simply, I cannot deny it exists and to deny it and "protect" them from it, may hurt them in the future if they are so unaware.

My conversations are always brief, but they go something like this, "Sometimes bad people want to hurt other people like you kids and Daddy and Mommy. They may have a gun. If something like this were ever to happen, I want you to listen to me quickly and do as I say." We also talk about hiding if that is what would have to happen and being quiet.

I think to many it seems like too much, but I find if it is done a calm way, answering any questions they have, and making it a family talk, it can be very light-hearted (not flippant, but not fearful) and they seem to "get it." We revisit this maybe twice a year.

We also talk basic first-aid - putting on pressure and not moving a sibling who fell and isn't moving. Since we have a creek at the back of our property talks about water safety happen occasionally too. Mostly this is all generated very organically. The kids say something and a logical flowing conversation ensues.

The political sense of liberal is not the only meaning of the word, I think some posters are using the term liberal in the sense of not restricting something. Allowing liberal access.

Not a political thing.

• Like 10

I think I would agree with you and your dad [

That's not really possible bc I do not agree with my dad on much of anything, especially wrt to children.

I think kids need the proper names for their body parts at young ages and they need to be taught about private parts and who sees them and who doesn't.

(Paraphrased) We also talk about violence and that bad people do band things...

Um. Okay. That's not what I was talking about at all.

• Like 1

This discussion reminds me of when ds15 was little. He (ok, *we*) loved SpongeBob. Big, puffy heart Ă°Å¸â€™â€“. My cousin wouldn't allow her three kids to watch it. She said it was because of the episode where sponge bob 'cusses' and it's bleeped out constantly. I just laughed. That was our favorite episode! If she'd watched the show to the end, she'd seen that he wasn't actually cussing at all, but she heard the 'bleeps' and turned it off immediately. She's a great mom, no judgement from me at all. We, too, were pretty conservative with tv watching when ds was little, but there was no way we could say no to SpongeBob. Ă°Å¸â€™â€“Ă°Å¸â€™â€“Ă°Å¸â€™â€“

That is funny you mention that, SpongeBob is on my no-no list but for a different reason.  Mean insults get laughs.   I have a low tolerance for mean.  

One that was watched a few months ago (DD ages 6) was a Family Guy episode.   I don't like the show but DH and DD watched sometimes, so the three of us watched it together once.  I don't think I'm old enough for that episode!  The boy got a job with the neighbor scheduling 'visits' and washing 'toys' in the dishwasher.  It went over DD's head, partially due to my sudden desire to play a game with her while watching the show.   DH claimed that they aren't normally like that, and I've watched a few before and I don't remember that.   But, I was still upset.  

• Like 3

That is funny you mention that, SpongeBob is on my no-no list but for a different reason. Mean insults get laughs. I have a low tolerance for mean.

One that was watched a few months ago (DD ages 6) was a Family Guy episode. I don't like the show but DH and DD watched sometimes, so the three of us watched it together once. I don't think I'm old enough for that episode! The boy got a job with the neighbor scheduling 'visits' and washing 'toys' in the dishwasher. It went over DD's head, partially due to my sudden desire to play a game with her while watching the show. DH claimed that they aren't normally like that, and I've watched a few before and I don't remember that. But, I was still upset.

Your dh is misinforming you. Family Guy is always incredibly vulgar. That is a cartoon for adults.

• Like 13

Oh Sadie. Of course there is. Highlights, darn them, caved in to you-know-who and featured a cartoon drawing of a SAME SEX family! Two dads!

This is showing diverse families to reflect the experience of more readers. That isn't "PC".

• Like 4

I remember being shocked that one of the Kids Bop music CDs had a song in it about adultery! Something about how it didn't matter that the woman wore a ring, she should get with him anyway. And they had KIDS singing it!!!

Recently DD and I went to a Girl Scout mother/daughter tea. There was a DJ. Picture several dozen girls up on stage singing "we ain't ever getting older."

That song has theft and hook-up fornication in a motor vehicle.

• Like 1