Menu

Poll About Non-Gyno Dr. Appointment and TeA Timing

Crimson Wife

Is it Rude to Have TeA Prior to Non-Gyno Dr. Appt?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Is it Rude to Have TeA Prior to Non-Gyno Dr. Appt?

• Yes, always
    • No, as long as there is a shower in between
    • Other

Settle a debate: is it rude to the doctor for a patient to come in for an appointment after having engaged in TeA? The appointment was not for a gynecological exam and the patient showered in between the two activities.

Is the patient's spouse being overly squeamish or was the patient rude?

I honestly don't even think a shower is absolutely necessary for most things, though I chose that option.

I don't even know what "before" would mean in this instance. Like, I had TeA "before" every single doctor's appointment I've had since I was 17 in some sense of the word... Like, how much time would be "polite"? And how the heck would the doctor even know? And why would she care unless it was directly related to the reason for the exam? This is just so odd. Like, you're allowed to go out in public after TeA once you've tidied up a little and dressed. There are no rules about this.

And what about personal TeA time??? The more I think about this, the weirder it seems.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 15

So, the patient wakes up that morning and has TeA. Patient gets out of bed, takes a shower, grabs some breakfast, and heads out to his/her 8:30 doctor's appointment. The doctor checks the ears and eyes and lungs and sends patient home (or some sort of equivalency.)

What in the world is there to be squeamish about in that scenario?

• Like 14

I don't even think it's "rude" if it were a gyno visit. The doctor's seen it all before and I'm sure is an adult. I think a shower before gyno is always polite, but I see no need to act like nobody has any relations with anyone. 

• Like 11

I honestly don't even think a shower is absolutely necessary for most things, though I chose that option.

I don't even know what "before" would mean in this instance. Like, I had TeA "before" every single doctor's appointment I've had since I was 17 in some sense of the word... Like, how much time would be "polite"? And how the heck would the doctor even know? And why would she care unless it was directly related to the reason for the exam? This is just so odd. Like, you're allowed to go out in public after TeA once you've tidied up a little and dressed. There are no rules about this.

And what about personal TeA time??? The more I think about this, the weirder it seems.

TeA, then shower, then heading out to the appointment. Patient's spouse got squicked out and felt that the patient should have mentioned the appointment prior to TeA so that it could be postponed until the evening :001_rolleyes:

• Like 1

TeA, then shower, then heading out to the appointment. Patient's spouse got squicked out and felt that the patient should have mentioned the appointment prior to TeA so that it could be postponed until the evening :001_rolleyes:

:001_rolleyes: indeed.

• Like 4

It would never cross my mind to worry about that. I wouldn't even shower unless I needed to generally. How would a doctor have any idea I'd had TeA? Spouse is bananas. Would he wait to poop until after the doctor's appointment too?

• Like 15

I still think the timing thing is just weird. It's as if the spouse thinks it's like when you have to fast in the morning before getting your blood drawn at an appointment. How long does this spouse think one should abstain before seeing a doctor? Is this like a 24 hour thing?

These are mostly rhetorical questions. I don't think I'll understand this viewpoint, honestly. I can only think it must stem for some idea that TeA is something that it isn't... unnatural or dirty or maybe just that it changes the body way more than it actually does.

I had my Gyn laugh at me when I told her that I didn't have s#x the night before my appt with her. She told me I had wasted a child free evening with my husband, and we should have taken advantage. She told, "Next time have fun. Use a condom if we are doing a pap, but other than that my job revolves around people having sex." 

So even for a Gyn appt. it's fine to have sex.

• Like 19

The only that could happen at a non-gyno appt is that a woman might need a urine test, and some lowly medical assistant would find herself looking at sperm through the microscope. Not for the first nor last time. Lowly medical assistant would not be providing any commentary on that, once back in the room.

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar
  • Like 5

Not rude even without a shower.

Thank you! I'm trying to wrap my brain around why I need to wash off? It's not like my husband is dirty. Even for a gyno appointment, I could only see an issue if I needed a pap.

I bet a doctor would be more bothered by someone skipping a shower regardless of whether TeA was involved.

(Written right after bringing my dad back from a chiropractor visit and finally being able to breathe fresh air again.  Even windows cracked in the car didn't help enough.)

• Like 2

Now, is this one of those "only applies to women" weird rules/squemish tendency? Would this person give it a second thought if he was the one with an appt afterward?  :huh:

I can't imagine how it would relate...as a female who has recently been to her family doctor 3 times, an ENT, an oral surgeon, and an endodontist all in 2 wks time. Never did it cross my mind in any appt to be concerned about it.

• Like 4

I bet a doctor would be more bothered by someone skipping a shower regardless of whether TeA was involved.

(Written right after bringing my dad back from a chiropractor visit and finally being able to breathe fresh air again. Even windows cracked in the car didn't help enough.)

Ack! Tell him your dire medical condition is exacerbated by stank. ;-)

• Like 1

Now, is this one of those "only applies to women" weird rules/squemish tendency? Would this person give it a second thought if he was the one with an appt afterward?  :huh:

Squeamish spouse has in the past gone to work post-morning TeA (after showering). He doesn't go to the doctor unless he's so sick that he wouldn't be partaking in TeA.

Possibly the type of appointment might help me to understand why this was an issue.

I think with a shower it's fine, unless there is some specific reason sex would change something.

I would not go to the doc without taking a shower first.  Especially after sexual activity.

Edited by SKL

Possibly the type of appointment might help me to understand why this was an issue.

I think with a shower it's fine, unless there is some specific reason sex would change something.

I would not go to the doc without taking a shower first. Especially after sexual activity.

Again, wut?? Why not?? I can't even wrap my head around this

• Like 1

Does this person think doctors have some sort of omniscience? Like they'll just KNOW from the look of ya? Can one have sex and then go see, say an accountant? If, in either scenario, one is keeping one's pants on?

I hope they'd know from the look of me - I'm not the virgin Mary!

Well, for full disclosure (though I have no idea why I'm telling 50 billion strangers this) I have thought before when enjoying a sip of morning TeA and then heading off to church, that perhaps a shower was in order. I don't know if that's some leftover shame idea or if I am just worried I'll be carrying some unnoticed scent that might reach a perceptive congregant. But I want to be sure I smell like Pink Chiffon and not Girls Gone Wild.

• Like 7

The shower would've happened prior to the appointment with or without the TeA. But especially since there WAS a shower, the patient was confused by the spouse's squeamishness.

Patient is right to be confused, spouse's squeamishness is irrational and (as evidenced by the poll) clearly not the norm.

Ah well, we all have our quirks. Patient should feel perfectly comfortable though ignoring spouse's concern regarding this issue.

• Like 1

Again, wut?? Why not?? I can't even wrap my head around this

Before I go to the dentist, I brush my teeth extra well (even if I just brushed an hour before), floss like crazy, use mouthwash and then grab a piece of gum to chew on the way there. :-) 

Maybe it's like that?

• Like 2

Squeamish spouse has in the past gone to work post-morning TeA (after showering). He doesn't go to the doctor unless he's so sick that he wouldn't be partaking in TeA.

How about the dentist? Does that count- it is a doctor. What about a psychiatrist? 

Is it just the possibility of being examined in the nether regions that makes him think it should be avoided? Or something else special about doctors.

Is the spouse perhaps under the mistaken impression that every med appt for women involve a higher level of exploration by the doctor?

• Like 7

So does the spouse think the doctor should abstain from TeA before seeing patients?   

I don't even think a shower is essential. Dh schedules his doc appointments after work so he's not freshly showered (not that he's engaging in TeA at work, but he has 8 hours of work time under his belt and might not be as fresh as he was at 5 Am when he showered). 

Is the spouse perhaps under the mistaken impression that every med appt for women involve a higher level of exploration by the doctor?

Ah! This is actually a logical reason IF the person believes women's exams are always gyn exams. Was the patient going for a checkup and the spouse assumed that included a gyn exam?

People are just so weird!

• Like 3

Ah! This is actually a logical reason IF the person believes women's exams are always gyn exams. Was the patient going for a checkup and the spouse assumed that included a gyn exam?

People are just so weird!

It was a routine skin check by the dermatologist (family history of melanoma and fair complexion). Maybe he thought that's more invasive than it really is? Who knows!

• Like 4

I would think this would depend on how active the adult activity was. I tend to shower after adult activities for the same reason I tend to shower after any other...exercise. lol

But see then you're showering because you're sweaty, not because you had sex, per se. I get that and have done the same. That doesn't appear to be what the OP is taking about though.