Menu

Paper plates for most meals?

AnnE-girl

I'm in a meal planning and healthy eating challenge group on Facebook where people often post pictures of their meals. A few of the members always seem to be using paper plates and plastic utensils for their regular meals. This seems really odd to me. We use disposable sometimes when we have a large group and not enough regular plates, but not for a random Wednesday night meal. Does anyone use paper plates most of the time?

And you know what? I'm thinking on it, and even if we did use paper plates for some reason, I don't think I'd take a picture of it unless it was some obvious super casual, lots of guests thing - like a barbecue or a children's birthday or a picnic. There are some things I don't mind sharing, but that? I'd be worried people were judging me!

• Like 3

Paper has a distinct taste of its own. But styrofoam is much worse. (Coffee from styro cups tastes disgusting).

Maybe it depends on which brand you use? I don't use paper plates very often but I have never noticed a taste.

I'm not anti-styrofoam for coffee, but that's probably because I use so much cream and sugar that the coffee is kind of an afterthought anyway ;), but I definitely notice a taste difference when I have to drink tea out of a styrofoam cup. Yuck!

Edited to add: I was just thinking back to when my dh had his transplant and we lived in a hotel for 5 months and I realized we used a lot of paper plates and it worked out fine. We always bought the Chinet plates or the coated paper plates so they wouldn't soak through, and there was definitely no difference in the taste of our food.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 5

We use them for parties or picknic type events but not at the house.

I had a neighbor who used them all the time for her 3 daughters.  They bought the really cheap ones and used the little plate sized baskets for them. 

We use paper(not styrofoam) plates a few nights a week and for most breakfasts and lunches. *runs away*

I don't see anything wrong with that. :)

I'm a big believer in doing whatever works best for your own family and not worrying about what other families do.

• Like 14

My dh makes my ds eggs for breakfast. He puts them on a paper plate so my son can eat them on the way to work. If he took a regular plate I'd have no dishes left in the house.

My dh makes my ds eggs for breakfast. He puts them on a paper plate so my son can eat them on the way to work. If he took a regular plate I'd have no dishes left in the house.

Some people have Taco Bell wrappers all over the car, but your ds would have Fiestaware.

Classy guy!!! :lol:

• Like 6

We often have them in the house. They will get used for the occasional lunch or to take out of the house to eat at other places. I actually find plates to be the easiest thing to wash, so I don't feel the need to use them too often. I don't buy disposable cups. I will, however, stockpile them from any hotels we stay at. I am keeping them on hand for something..just not sure what.  :lol:  Maybe they will be useful if there's a hurricane or something.

I might resort to paper if I didn't have a dishwasher, but I do and plates take up so little space in it. I might use it once a year for a kid's birthday party if design is important to the kid, but I usually have enough plates for the amount of entertaining I'm willing to do.

I'm in a meal planning and healthy eating challenge group on Facebook where people often post pictures of their meals. A few of the members always seem to be using paper plates and plastic utensils for their regular meals. This seems really odd to me. We use disposable sometimes when we have a large group and not enough regular plates, but not for a random Wednesday night meal. Does anyone use paper plates most of the time?

I rarely use paper plates. I have quite a few inexpensive plastic plates that I use (and reuse) when I have larger groups over.

I would not want my children to think that paper plates are the norm. In the same way, I want them to get dressed every day, because I want jammie day to be a fun special day, not the norm; and we make beds every day, and we keep the house tidy. I want those to be the norm.

• Like 3

We don't but I see why some families do.

My brother's husband is ridiculously picky about how the dishwasher is loaded and, in classic my-little-brother style, my brother used paper plates for everything because he didn't want to wait for his husband to load the dishes "the right way" or live with a mountain of dishes in his kitchen. This cracks me up for some reason, probably because I've also experienced my BIL being a dumbass about how the dishes are washed. He's a great guy...just a little intense on this issue, lol.

My brother is also a very busy SAH soccer dad so it sometimes makes on the go eating cheaper and easier.

• Like 2

When there was a drought at one point, I know that some people were urging people to use disposable plates because it was less water used to wash. And less electricity to heat the water and run the dishwasher. I remember being astounded at the idea that it could possibly be "better" in any way though. Even taking that into account, I find it hard to believe that paper plates aren't wasteful.

The taste thing though... I'm a supertaster... food served on metal often has a taste for me. But I can't taste styrofoam unless it's waxed. And paper... that's nearly always got a mild wax on it, which is totally a fine taste to add to something. I can't imagine being bugged by that. I store all kinds of things with wax paper.

• Like 3

When there was a drought at one point, I know that some people were urging people to use disposable plates because it was less water used to wash. And less electricity to heat the water and run the dishwasher. I remember being astounded at the idea that it could possibly be "better" in any way though. Even taking that into account, I find it hard to believe that paper plates aren't wasteful.

But paper plates take more water and electricity to produce!

• Like 1

Yes. A Costco pack of the cheapo paper plates lasts us a month or so. They're biodegradable, at least. I have chronic illnesses and am very sick on top of working with food allergies and therefore having to make usually 3 meals from scratch a day. I guess I feel the fossil fuels saved from the kids not being transported to and from school and me not traveling to and from work and our other environmental contributions allow us this indulgence. That's what I tell myself anyway.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 10

We always have paper plates on hand but we don't use a ton of them. Never for regular meals at home unless we're having a big, casual event (like a cookout). DH will use one for his lunch on weekends. I think that's a holdover from his childhood--his mom used and still uses paper plates a LOT. And I'll grab one if I'm fixing microwave bacon, if the dog is getting a snack and his regular plate is in the dishwasher, etc. We use them in the RV, where water is often what we need to conserve the most.

Oh yeah, when DH was gone for weeks and I had two littles I used them with ENORMOUS RELIEF. We used the paper kind with no wax/plastic and they compost right out.

I've never seen anyone use them that didn't have some extremely good reason to do so. Or just a makes-sense reason. Camping; big party...

I do wish they'd outlaw styrofoam :(

My grandmother used them for holidays.  I didn't care for it, but I do understand.  She has a tiny house and really didn't have enough plates for everyone and had to borrow stuff.  And she got tired of the fact that only a small number of people would involve themselves in cleanup and dish washing.  Namely the women.  And she felt as if they should get to enjoy the holiday as well.  So she started using disposable plates.  She did use regular utensils though.

• Like 2

I have several friends with a 8 or more kids who use them at every meal because the dishes get overwhelming. They use the dishwasher for glasses, utensils, and cooking bowls/tools after every meal.

I've only done that during renovations, but I only have 2 kids!

• Like 1

I have several friends with a 8 or more kids who use them at every meal because the dishes get overwhelming. They use the dishwasher for glasses, utensils, and cooking bowls/tools after every meal.

I can totally imagine using paper with a very large family.  We fill up the dishwasher sometimes 2 times a day with our family of 4. 

• Like 1

I can totally imagine using paper with a very large family. We fill up the dishwasher sometimes 2 times a day with our family of 4.

We do two loads of dishes/day and take the trash out once a day. We had to buy a second trash can from the city, I can't imagine how much trash we'd have if we switched to paper products.

• Like 1

We are currently using them for most meals. But I'm very pregnant, very tired, and trying to keep the house/dishes/etc clean and ready for a homebirth. 

I'm also known to use them when I'm in deadline mode in my writing. It just makes life a lot faster and easier during "crunch times" for me. 

We even have paper bowls, and plastic forks/spoons during these times. So a few times a year?

• Like 1

I don't see anything wrong with that. :)

I'm a big believer in doing whatever works best for your own family and not worrying about what other families do.

Yup.  Honestly, they freaking biodegrade so fast..hell sometimes it seems they are biodegrading while I'm using them! I'm not going to feel that bad about it. 

Besides, we cloth diaper...i figure that more than balances it out lol. 

I do find it funny how many people think disposable diapers are just fine, but get all horrified at disposable plates. 

SaveSave

• Like 6

Right. Plates don't take up a lot of room in the dishwasher, BUT...that's the same area of the dishwasher that I use for mixing bowls or tupperware containers, etc. So if I put the plates in the dishwasher I have to either wait and do another load for those things, or hand wash them. If I use paper plates I have room for the bigger stuff in the first load, along with coffee cups (which I don't use disposable for!)

We do two loads of dishes/day and take the trash out once a day. We had to buy a second trash can from the city, I can't imagine how much trash we'd have if we switched to paper products.

The paper plates all stack on top of each other after a meal, taking up a very very small amount of room in the trash. But..I buy cheap plates, not the sturdy ones, so that probably makes a difference. 

• Like 1

Yup.  We use paper plates for every meal.  We also, gasp, use red plastic disposable cups.  And drink bottled water.  And own paper towels and paper napkins.

We do recycle quite a bit, both with recyclable "trash" items into the recycle bin plus taking things to and buying things from thrift stores.  

Ooh, and the fossil fuels things someone mentioned above.  I rarely drive us anywhere except doctor and ortho appointments.

Judge me if you will.  :)

• Like 1