Menu

Paper plates for most meals?

AnnE-girl

yeahhhh....I say you leave him alone with the kids for a month and then have him revisit his feelings on that

LOL I know. He wouldn't change though! He'd forego sleep or some other somesuch that I'd never in a hundred years give up. DH is a lot more principled than I am :coolgleamA:

Edited by OKBud

I am not sure this is true.  My husband and I talked about this a lot when our dishwasher was broken for a long time.  I'm not going to do any research to provide links*, but I seem to recall at the time, that he researched it and said that the dishwasher uses the water much more efficiently than a person doing dishes by hand.  That's assuming a full dishwasher, most likely.   

*I'm not directing that comment toward Greta, just saying it 'cause often when someone makes an assertion, someone asks for links to prove it.  

I'm perfectly wiling to take your word for it, since that conveniently allows me to keep doing it the way I always have!  :lol:

• Like 3

I don't find my paper plate I used for lunch today (nachos) any more or less horrific than the paper napkin I used. Not sure why one is "normal" and one is a huge waste. 

(edited to add that actually, we use WAY less paper towels than most people I know...I keep dish towels and dish cloths stocked in the kitchen so use those most of the time. And again, cloth diaper. But i know people that use disposable diapers that would be horrified by my paper plates. Whatever)

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 4

We used paper plates and forks/spoons since DD was small because we had no dishwasher and it was just easier.  When DD was 7 or so, she expressed that she was "freaked out" at her friends house because they used real forks that *people had actually eaten off before*.  I explained that the dishwasher cleaned them very effectively, etc.

The next playdate I discovered DD had plastic forks in her backpack!  I removed them and explained that I was not going to allow her to get OCD on this and she needed to get used to actual silverware that had been washed.  I found it really amusing, since I was used to getting side-eyed for our paper/plastic usage, and apparently I had a daughter who was now prejudiced against actual silverware.  She did get over it though!

• Like 1

I don't find my paper plate I used for lunch today (nachos) any more or less horrific than the paper napkin I used. Not sure why one is "normal" and one is a huge waste.

(edited to add that actually, we use WAY less paper towels than most people I know...I keep dish towels and dish cloths stocked in the kitchen so use those most of the time. And again, cloth diaper. But i know people that use disposable diapers that would be horrified by my paper plates. Whatever)

I think my idea of normal was heavily influenced by what my mom did. She loves pretty dishes, and she has always had several sets, some modern and some antiques. But she always used paper napkins. I don't know why! And I just followed in her footsteps for many years without thinking twice about it. It was only relatively recently that it dawned on me that switching to cloth napkins could reduce our output of trash.

• Like 2

But from the Earth's pov, it doesn't matter if I produce less garbage than my neighbor. It's death by paper cuts, either way.

In any case, all anyone can do, is their best.

What I needed, was a babysitter/spouse/grandma type. What I got, was compostable plates. I mean....

I like the idea of cloth napkins but they're always stained with mustard after a few uses. They're just harder to wash than plates. Ditto with diapers - spraying poop in the toilet is much more unpleasant than wiping food off of plates. Anyway, I don't think there's anything wrong with paper plates either. We've only used them for a few weeks postpartum. I enjoy my meals more on ceramic plates with metal utensils, and it's worth the extra 15 minutes per day to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I think my idea of normal was heavily influenced by what my mom did. She loves pretty dishes, and she has always had several sets, some modern and some antiques. But she always used paper napkins. I don't know why! And I just followed in her footsteps for many years without thinking twice about it. It was only relatively recently that it dawned on me that switching to cloth napkins could reduce our output of trash.

My grandmother served everyone on nice, $$,dishes. But paper napkins. She said she had a passle of kids and grandkids that did the dishes, but she was tired of laundry 🤣

I have some paper plates up in a high cupboard, but they're really only used for sending out Christmas goodies. I'm not sure I've ever served an actual meal on PP other than Scout potlucks. I'd like to see us get away from using them, too. Hmmm...something to talk to the Senior Patrol Leader about. If we could even cut down by half, it would be a good thing. We've never had a dishwasher, so it's never been a big deal to wash up--I wash pans and pots as I go, so there are just plates mostly by the end of the meal. Since my sil is back next door, we're FILLING the big trash canister once a week. I have no idea how she produces so much trash! And when her dh is home, I have to take my trash out the day before or they fill it on trash day. At least when the canister is full, they usually take the excess to town. But not always, and then we have bear problems. That reminds me--the skunks are out, so the bears will be soon. Time to put the canister in the shop. Of course, that doesn't stop the bears from just ripping the door off.

At our last house, I was absolutely blown away by how much garbage ppl had. We were home ALL day, I used disposables, we had formula canisters... And yet we used half the bin while everyone around us, gone all day five days a week, were overflowing every week. I literally don't understand what they were throwing away every week! What was happening in their houses?!

I don't remember when I started using cloth napkins vs. paper.  I know my mom always used paper.  But what was funny to me, were comments people made about how "fancy" I was to use cloth napkins.  Some people were even snarky about it, like "ooh, can't have you at my house; we use paper."  WTH.   

Now we use cloth for everything but the messiest foods, or the biggest groups (like church picnic in our yard, 50+ people).  Often, if we're having a casual gathering, I'll just put a pile of napkins on the table by the forks - it doesn't matter if they match or not in those situations.  With kids particularly, cloth napkins are more useful, in my opinion.  Bigger, and don't fall apart with the first wipe of the mouth or fingers. 

Cloth napkins can be obtained cheaply, and they are easy to make for anyone with basic sewing skills.  One year I made 24 double-thickness napkins for Thanksgiving dinner, using clearance quilting fabric. Those lasted us for years, and cost less than $1 each.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 4

I don't remember when I started using cloth napkins vs. paper.  I know my mom always used paper.  But what was funny to me, were comments people made about how "fancy" I was to use cloth napkins.  Some people were even snarky about it, like "ooh, can't have you at my house; we use paper."  WTH.   

I once knew we were in the wrong group of people when we went to a church picnic - not the kind where everyone brings food and you share a meal, but where you each bring your own - and I set my little boys' places with enamel camp dishes and stainless steel utensils. Then onto those plates I placed homemade roast beef and spinach sandwiches, home-baked cookies, plums, and baby carrots...when I looked up, all of the other moms were staring at me, and they weren't happy. 

I didn't care that they were serving Uncrustables on paper plates, or McDonalds happy meals in boxes. But they sure as heck cared a LOT that I was serving fruits and vegetables on dishes, and they let me know it. "No need to show off," was one phrase I heard. But "We're all eating junk food off of paper" was not on the invitation so I didn't know.

I offended them again later by letting my little boys play in the creek. They'd told their kids they weren't allowed to play in the creek, and here came my four, trooping up from the woods, soaking wet and laughing. Ooops.

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar
  • Like 8

I once knew we were in the wrong group of people when we went to a church picnic - not the kind where everyone brings food and you share a meal, but where you each bring your own - and I set my little boys' places with enamel camp dishes and stainless steel utensils. Then onto those plates I placed homemade roast beef and spinach sandwiches, home-baked cookies, plums, and baby carrots...when I looked up, all of the other moms were staring at me, and they weren't happy. 

<snip>

Gah.  What is with people?!    

• Like 1

I seem to remember a scene in one of the TV shows about a family with multiples and the dad poured a mound of Cheerios on the floor of the playroom and all the babies came crawling or toddling over to eat them. The mom was angry but the dad said they knock them on the floor anyway and eat them before he can pick them up bc he is so outnumbered.

We don't use paper plates but I eat sandwiches off a napkin all the time.

I think that happened on The Middle, too. Oh, AND it seems like  they eat fast food most dinners? I'm going to watch for paper plates next time.

Good show.  Sometimes it's cartoonish, but it's also the most real show in some ways.  The dishwasher broke, they couldn't afford fix it, and life got harder.  It was just a hole in their kitchen for weeks.

• Like 2

I am not sure this is true.  My husband and I talked about this a lot when our dishwasher was broken for a long time.  I'm not going to do any research to provide links*, but I seem to recall at the time, that he researched it and said that the dishwasher uses the water much more efficiently than a person doing dishes by hand.  That's assuming a full dishwasher, most likely.   

*I'm not directing that comment toward Greta, just saying it 'cause often when someone makes an assertion, someone asks for links to prove it.  

I have looked into this. One study at the time that was used when dug into - the study was done by a dishwashing company. The dishwashing company didn't take into consideration the water used in the manufacturing of the dishwasher. It also assumed that the person washing the dishes would just run the water from the tap the whole time, not just fill up two sinks, one for washing, one for rinsing. 

My lack of buying paper towels annoys my Dh. The only time I have them is after we go to a fast food restaurant. They always give us a stack and I bring home the ones we don't use. 

I just try to limit the weight and volume of the things I buy. Almost all the shopping is done by me, which means I have to carry everything I buy up hill for 2km. (Dh does buy the TP in bulk for me. I don't know how often he does this, but he will go the store and fill up two grocery carts with TP. We then store it in the walk in attic. The kids use that room as a play area and use the TP packages as building blocks for forts. 

As for diapers. I was to lazy to use disposable. First you had to buy a specific size, walk to the store, buy it, carry it home. You couldn't buy in bulk since - at least since I didn't know how many of each size I would need. Nope to lazy. With cloth it was just research it once, buy the diapers once. And then I was done with shopping and carting things home. :) 

• Like 1

I have looked into this. One study at the time that was used when dug into - the study was done by a dishwashing company. The dishwashing company didn't take into consideration the water used in the manufacturing of the dishwasher. It also assumed that the person washing the dishes would just run the water from the tap the whole time, not just fill up two sinks, one for washing, one for rinsing. 

<snip>

When I hand-wash dishes, I don't keep the water running the whole time, but I don't fill up a sink for rinsing.  I don't even understand how that works. As soon as a soapy dish goes in the rinse water, the water's soapy.  I don't want to rinse dishes in soapy water.    (I fill up the sink with water, wash the dishes, empty the sink, rinse the dishes, put them in a drainer in the other sink.)

As for the study, I don't know. Generally, my husband is very good at separating out information from a manufacturer when looking into something like this.  But it was a few years ago and neither of us remember details.

• Like 1

I don't, but I have family members who do, and have for years. I don't even use paper for big family gatherings,usually, and they always question me on it!

I get questioned on it, too! I have a lot of regular plates, which I intentionally bought in quantities large enough to accommodate the extended family. But there is a person or two who always asks for a paper plate, which strikes me as very odd.

At our beach house, there is one SIL who has made a bid for using all throw-away dishes and utensils. That makes no sense to me while we have a working dishwasher there. Nobody is even making food that requires big clean-up there, for the most part; it's usually crabs or pizza or stuff on the grills.

21 kids!!! OH MY GAWD

It's weird cause I know lots of big-families-are-a-blessing, don't-use-birth-control families, and the biggest families mostly have a dozen or so max. I know bigger families happen like the Duggars, but it's super rare, I think. No stats or anything though.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 1

My lack of buying paper towels annoys my Dh. The only time I have them is after we go to a fast food restaurant. They always give us a stack and I bring home the ones we don't use.

I've lost this battle in my home. If it were myself alone, I would use paper towels for about two things: draining bacon grease and cleaning up cat vomit. Those are two things I really don't want to attempt with a reuable cloth. But DH likes to have the roll hanging there handily, which means he and the kids use them for many things I think unnecessary.

I'm quoting you because I wanted to share that I cannot stand paper napkins! We use cloth because there's something about touching my face with a paper napkin that puts my teeth on edge (yes, I have some sensory issues).

As to the actual thread: we only use paper plates when camping or traveling (we cook in our hotel room for most meals). I don't like the waste of paper, and, like regentrude, I don't like the taste of it either. For the purposes of full disclosure, however, I only cloth-diapered 1.5 of my 3 children. :-).

• Like 1

I just try to limit the weight and volume of the things I buy. Almost all the shopping is done by me, which means I have to carry everything I buy up hill for 2km. (Dh does buy the TP in bulk for me. I don't know how often he does this, but he will go the store and fill up two grocery carts with TP. We then store it in the walk in attic. The kids use that room as a play area and use the TP packages as building blocks for forts. 

As for diapers. I was to lazy to use disposable. First you had to buy a specific size, walk to the store, buy it, carry it home. You couldn't buy in bulk since - at least since I didn't know how many of each size I would need. Nope to lazy. With cloth it was just research it once, buy the diapers once. And then I was done with shopping and carting things home. :)

If I always had to walk that far to the store and back, I would be far more careful about my purchases, but when my ds was in diapers, I would have walked as far as I had to go to get disposable diapers. :D And paper towels, too, but I wouldn't have walked as far for those. ;) Paper plates wouldn't have made the cut, though! :)

OMG, cooking from scratch takes TIME. Time and effort and DISHES. To make one batch of waffles, I have the mixing bowl and it's attachment (or if you don't have a stand mixer, which I didn't until 6 months ago, the whisk or spoon you use to mix). Then there's the measuring cup used to measure the oil. The separate measuring cup to measure the milk. The separate cup used to measure the flour. If I am making pancakes instead of waffles, then I have to scrub out the skillet. (which, I use cast iron so scrubbing that out isn't as difficult but it's still more time effort.) I try to be efficient and do things like measure the milk in the same cup as the oil, use the same cup to pour the batter, but the reality is that is just not always possible. And all of those things just add up.

Sometimes dinner involves multiple mixing bowls, multiple measuring cups, and multiple pans, once you add up all the side dishes etc etc. Dinner alone generate two full loads in the dishwasher, depending on what we are making.

My best way to cut down on measuring utensils that need to be washed is to use my digital food scale and weigh the ingredients. I never measure flour, sugar, oil, milk, etc. I always weigh them.
  • Like 1

I do not use paper plates regularly. I did not use disposable diapers except for certain occasions like camping. I keep paper towels around but mostly for stuff I really do not want to use cloth to clean up. We mostly use cloth. I did use disposable wipes. I try to limit disposable products as much as I can but I do use them on occasion.

Edited by MistyMountain

My best way to cut down on measuring utensils that need to be washed is to use my digital food scale and weigh the ingredients. I never measure flour, sugar, oil, milk, etc. I always weigh them.

I should start doing that. I have a digital food scale and never remember to take it out and use it.

I know I originally bought it for a reason, but I'd be lying to you if I said I could remember what it was. I'm sure it seemed important at the time, though. Or else it was just on a really good sale. :)

• Like 1

Wow - no, we never use them.  I just don't find it that hard to throw dishes in the dishwasher and pull them back out.  If I have any in the house, they are used for outside groups I host somewhere else (like book club).  And since I am buying them occasionally for groups outside the home, buying paper products in quantity can be really $$$.   I have unbreakable plates and silverware that are dishwasher safe that come out for picnics and potlucks.  I'd be getting the evil eye with Tibbie.  LOL.

I totally get the taste thing too.  I don't love eating off of paper or foam.

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 1

But what was funny to me, were comments people made about how "fancy" I was to use cloth napkins.  Some people were even snarky about it, like "ooh, can't have you at my house; we use paper."  WTH.   

I didn't care that they were serving Uncrustables on paper plates, or McDonalds happy meals in boxes. But they sure as heck cared a LOT that I was serving fruits and vegetables on dishes, and they let me know it. "No need to show off," was one phrase I heard. But "We're all eating junk food off of paper" was not on the invitation so I didn't know.

Goodness, why do people assume that if you do things differently you must disapprove of the way they do it? I wonder if I've ever made that assumption about others without consciously realizing I was doing it!

• Like 7

Goodness, why do people assume that if you do things differently you must disapprove of the way they do it? I wonder if I've ever made that assumption about others without consciously realizing I was doing it!

I've been thinking about this some more today.  I think it kind of makes sense that people can feel threatened (for lack of a better word) when someone in the group does something that is not characteristic of the group.

People have funny perceptions of those who do things differently.  Tibbie's bringing real plates, etc., can be perceived in a few different ways: as her showing off how much better a mom she is, bringing better food.  Or, how she has it all together more than other women, by bringing real plates, silverware, etc.  Or, she could be perceived as showing off how environmentally conscious she is, by eschewing the paper products that everyone else is using.

Remember I am saying that people may perceive her actions that way, not that she is doing anything wrong or for those reasons.

I think that people who would be inclined toward a negative perception of things like that are insecure in their own choices.  Someone may feel guilty about bring uncrustables for their kid, but if everyone else is bringing them (or something on a par with them as far as healtfulness/quality) then it's OK.  But when someone does something that feeds her guilt, that person is going to get the evil eye.  

People who are secure in their own actions/lifestyles, and/or who make a conscious choice to do what they're doing for a particular reason, may not feel so threatened by that.    

Does that make sense?  

ETA: I am sometimes the mom who brings healthful food and "real" plates, and sometimes the one with lunchables, goldfish, and everything wrapped in plastic and served on paper.   I feel neither virtuous nor guilty.  I am aware of the consequences of my actions, and I do the best I can given my ever-changing circumstances - and assume others are doing the same.  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 7

I should start doing that. I have a digital food scale and never remember to take it out and use it.

I know I originally bought it for a reason, but I'd be lying to you if I said I could remember what it was. I'm sure it seemed important at the time, though. Or else it was just on a really good sale. :)

Ha ha I bought my digital food scale to measure pinewood derby cars.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Yes, paper for most meals, for now.

I have been in some stage of moving for most of the last few years. I have packed and unpacked the dishes so many times! Currently, we have waiting more than a year for the contractor to finish the next place we will living in, and all the nice, matching dishes are all ready packed and moved. I kept the chipped and mismatched stuff to use while we wait, and slowly but surely, breakage has left me with 1 dinner plate, 4 salad plates, and a handful of bowls of different sizes. I am too tired of moving stuff to go dig up the stuff I already moved, so dc and I mainly use paper, and dh uses THE dinner plate. Also, I send (and reuse) plastic utensils with school lunches, because once every couple of weeks, a spoon never makes it back home. I can manage if a plastic spoon goes missing, but don't want to lose the rest of my silverware.

I think that people who would be inclined toward a negative perception of things like that are insecure in their own choices. Someone may feel guilty about bring uncrustables for their kid, but if everyone else is bringing them (or something on a par with them as far as healtfulness/quality) then it's OK. But when someone does something that feeds her guilt, that person is going to get the evil eye.

People who are secure in their own actions/lifestyles, and/or who make a conscious choice to do what they're doing for a particular reason, may not feel so threatened by that.

Does that make sense?

Yes, makes a lot of sense! If you're confident in your own choice, you're less likely to notice/care that others have made a different choice. I can definitely relate to that.

• Like 1

We hardly ever use them. We have a lot of very plain white plates from Ikea and Crate and Barrel and use those for everything. We routinely have a large potluck at our house (about 30-40 people with lots of kids) and we use regular plates for that also. We also typically use cloth napkins. For those we bought some pretty fabric fairly cheap and then paid a friend to hem them for us (I don't know how to sew or have a machine). 

I have some in case we run out of other plates at our regular potluck or for projects (arts and crafts kinds of things). We also have some paper napkins as well in the house typically. 

I don't mind washing dishes though. It's one job I actually enjoy. We do have a dishwasher, but we didn't for a long time when the kids were littler and I didn't mind so much. I find washing dishes mildly relaxing. There are plenty of other household tasks I hate so I can understand if other people think I'm weird. ;) 

I don't prefer paper products, but we've used them when there are medical issues, when moving, at cookouts, and for the little kid type bday parties, if a child has a theme in mind.

We try not to generate a lot of trash, we recycle. And I don't prefer to eat off of disposable plates, as a rule. But we've used our share, though never on a daily basis.

What I don't understand is the concept of evening out. What is evening out? We don't get an allotment of trash we can generate, we all need to reduce. DH and I only have one car, between us, for green reasons, and we do a lot to reduce our footprint but it doesn't give me the ok to generate more trash in another area. I'm not following that logic.

We each do what we can. We do our best. Some seasons, getting your family fed and cutting that corner is necessary. It's ok. That will change, eventually.

Way, way back in the early 90s, I stopped using straws. Sometimes I think of all the wait staff who tried to give me straws over the years, and looked stunned when I said to keep them. All the straws that are not in landfills make me happy. :D. It's a small thing, and sort of a tangent, but thought I'd throw out there.

• Like 1

It's weird cause I know lots of big-families-are-a-blessing, don't-use-birth-control families, and the biggest families mostly have a dozen or so max. I know bigger families happen like the Duggars, but it's super rare, I think. No stats or anything though.

Well the show it was on was call the midwife. So it is a fiction show based on a biography of a woman who worked on the poor east end of London in the 1950s. So a very different time period.

What was extra weird about the family is that they husband and wife didn't even speak the same language. They meet when he was over seas on a ship. She came back with him, and they had been in love ever since. As he said to the midwife, "I never could learn the lingo, but all the kids speak it very well." And she could obviously not speak English.

• Like 1

I think that happened on The Middle, too. Oh, AND it seems like  they eat fast food most dinners? I'm going to watch for paper plates next time.

Good show.  Sometimes it's cartoonish, but it's also the most real show in some ways.  The dishwasher broke, they couldn't afford fix it, and life got harder.  It was just a hole in their kitchen for weeks.

We LOVE that show. Since seeing it, if dh picks up a pizza or fast food he comes in, he yells, "I made dinner!"  :lol:  My dh also does a perfect Axl impersonation.

Edited by jewellsmommy
  • Like 1

I have adjustable measuring scoops and spoons. You just slide the little slide-y thing to change the measurement. For dry ingredients, I just wipe them out with a kitchen towel until I'm done cooking for the day. It saves using a bunch of different size measuring implements.

• Like 2

At our last house, I was absolutely blown away by how much garbage ppl had. We were home ALL day, I used disposables, we had formula canisters... And yet we used half the bin while everyone around us, gone all day five days a week, were overflowing every week. I literally don't understand what they were throwing away every week! What was happening in their houses?!

We have made the same observation. In trash day, those around us always set out twice as much as we do, even when all the kids lived at home. I have no idea what's in the actual sealed bags, but the recyling bins reveal packaging for lots of prepared food and beverages (i.e. Costco and soda boxes). We don't do much processed food and are big water drinkers, not so much on principle as much as that's just our budget.

I keep paper plates on hand. I prefer real plates and napkins, even for casual use, but there are times when I know I'm not going to want to wash. It's usually for kid/teen gatherings when they may all be up and snacking late and I've already gone to bed. Once in a blue moon for holidays, but not for sit down meals.

ETA also use paper plates if there are house projects going on like painting or something that might restrict my use of the kitchen.

Edited by Seasider

I grew up using one set of dishes for main meals, fancy dishes for Sunday/holidays.  I was blown away when dh and I were first dating and experienced  paper plates at holiday gatherings.  

I did buy the Costco-sized plates once when no one was helping out on kitchen clean up.  They got the hint because I chose foods that were certain to spill or leak through.  That and trying to eat with cheap plastic forks :lol:

I do think it's up to individual necessity, though. I would much rather dd make nachos on a paper plate than deal with the cheese crud clean up.