Menu

Krispy Kreme?

Night Elf

Only at select locations.

I saw the pictures/video. They are THE most unappetizing shade of green. Think spinach. So I had hope that they were made with natural colors because vegetable dyes look like... vegetables... but nope! Six different numbered dyes plus the mysterious "artificial color".

I don't live near a Krispy Kreme anyway. Mercifully, the closest one to me was transformed into a Chick fil A :D

• Like 2

I have mixed feelings about Krispy Kreme. I grew up in NC and I have very happy memories associated with their doughnuts. In particular, when the Hot Doughnuts Now sign was on after school and you just *had* to stop... that's good times.

But now... I still have a crazy sweet tooth and I find them to be too much. Which is really saying something. Small doses I guess.

Green doughnuts. Ah well, just food coloring.

• Like 3

I don't get the appeal of DD or local "gourmet" doughnut shops. The doughnuts feel so heavy, like a slice of fried cake. That is the appeal of KK to me--the melt in your mouth yumminess.

I think doughnut preference is something shaped by early memories.

• Like 5

I love hot krispy kreme donuts and they melt in my mouth deliciously, but I don't care for the packaged boxes that are in the stores. My Publix bakery donuts taste better.

I never meant that KK donuts are anything special. They're just really good donuts that I'm willing to pay for just like I'm willing to pay for any other snack I thoroughly enjoy. Why be a hater? If you don't like them, don't buy them! Goodness!

• Like 1

KK are my kryptonite.  I cannot resist them fresh off the line.  I have zero self control.  The Hot sign is like a siren's call.  

Thankfully, the closest one is 25 minutes away and not in my normal routes.  

Also, thankfully, the boxed ones in the store don't call to me in the same way.  

• Like 6

I don't get the appeal of DD or local "gourmet" doughnut shops. The doughnuts feel so heavy, like a slice of fried cake. That is the appeal of KK to me--the melt in your mouth yumminess.

DD has the same exact type of glazed donuts.  They also have the heavy donuts you mention.  There are different types of donuts.

• Like 1

I feel just the opposite - that KK doughnuts are too heavy and yeasty. I prefer DD. To me they're lighter.

• Like 2

This thread reminds me of the time my son was 4 and we were guests at a friend's house and he had his first donut.  LOL....He said, 'mom, this is the first time I've ever had a donut.'  Everyone made so much fun of me....but hey, I tried to keep him donut free for as long as possible.

I am not a donut fan.  Much too sweet for me.  Chip and dip though...  I can't resist.

• Like 1

I've never had a Krispy Kreme.....I feel deprived somehow. :-( 

I don't care for DD's, although I used to enjoy munchkins on occasion. Honeydew had yummy doughnuts, but we don't have one of those near us either. 

Will have to find a KK on my travels sometime! Just checked - the nearest to me is in Quebec. 2 hrs and a border crossing might be a bit much for a doughnut.....

Edited by AmandaVT

I love hot krispy kreme donuts and they melt in my mouth deliciously, but I don't care for the packaged boxes that are in the stores. My Publix bakery donuts taste better.

I never meant that KK donuts are anything special. They're just really good donuts that I'm willing to pay for just like I'm willing to pay for any other snack I thoroughly enjoy. Why be a hater? If you don't like them, don't buy them! Goodness!

Just banter about donuts. Seems like they are special to you, so enjoy! Why does it matter what other people think? I like Tim's donuts. I wouldn't put anything green which isn't a vegetable in my mouth. No hate.

• Like 1

Born & raised in NC (and now living in the Triangle) -

I've always loved Krispy Kreme and have been a hardcore fan.  No other donut would do!

(ETA: I have fond memories of high school fundraisers, selling -- and buying/eating -- boxes of KK donuts!)

But...  :blushing:

Our church buys Dunkin' for the coffee bar...and I discovered the DD maple iced donuts.  And the old-fashioned sour cream donuts. And they have the best iced coffee.  (I might be converted!)

Around here, the talk is all Duck Donuts (having made their way from the OBX, with new locations around the state).  Meh.  They are alright, but a bit too greasy for me.

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

This thread makes me sad.  I hate most doughnuts, but LOVE Krispy Kreme.  They made me sick every time, but I still ate them.  Then I got diagnosed with Celiac so that explained why I got sick when I ate them.  I've never had one since.  I miss them.  When the light was on and I got one right off the conveyor belt... so good!

• Like 1

Am I the only person who thinks Krispy Kreme is incredibly overrated?

Nope. I prefer the really dense cake donuts, like buttermilk old fashioneds. KK is tasty but overrated in my opinion.

I'm another who grew up on Krispy Kreme. If we were lucky, my mother would stop on the way home from picking us up at school to get a box, fresh out of the oven. They hold lots of fond memories, and I still love them.

That said, I hate the artificial colors they use. My kids do better without those, and we try to avoid them, so it's plain glazed doughnuts for us at KK. I'll be glad if the US ever catches up with Europe and ditches those artificial dyes.

• Like 2

Oh I wish I didn't have a sweet tooth. I'd take a donut, pie or cake over savory food any day. However, I have learned to restrain myself and enjoy my one allotted sweet per day. I don't eat many other snacks. I like chips but only eat them when someone in my house requests I buy them. And then I have only a few. I don't like dips so that's not a problem.

But if I had to choose one favorite food, it would be potatoes. I like them better than anything else. Prepared any way.

• Like 2

DD has the same exact type of glazed donuts.  They also have the heavy donuts you mention.  There are different types of donuts.

Okay, so my great-grandma used to drive me to KK in her Ford Granada with the red pleather seats, and it's great memories.  :)  And even though Rachael Ray in all her NY state happiness loves Dunkin Donuts coffee and goes on and on about it, it just doesn't do it for me in the same way.  

You just like what you like.  :)

• Like 2

All this talk of Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Donuts...who else is Team Tim Hortons? :)

Definitely me!  I'm always so excited when I see the first one once I'm back in Canada.  Thankfully it is not too far from the border.  I know there are some along the way, in the States, but they just taste better once I'm in Canada.  I do hate the changes that the parent company has made.

That said, a 'Fractured Prune' store opened up about 5 minutes from me.  Some of their donuts are yummy, but definitely not an everyday thing.  I bought a bunch for my son's Eagle CoH dinner and cut them into thirds so folks could enjoy multiple flavours.  One of those will put me in a sugar-coma!

And, I do love a hot KK donut; the packaged KKs in the store, not at all.

I was born, raised and still live in the home town of KK. So needless to say that's where my doughnut loyalty resides. But thankfully I don't really care much for sweets, so to me any doughnut is a big waste of calories. I'd much rather have some hot, crispy, salty french fries.

• Like 2

Oh I wish I didn't have a sweet tooth. I'd take a donut, pie or cake over savory food any day. However, I have learned to restrain myself and enjoy my one allotted sweet per day. I don't eat many other snacks. I like chips but only eat them when someone in my house requests I buy them. And then I have only a few. I don't like dips so that's not a problem.

But if I had to choose one favorite food, it would be potatoes. I like them better than anything else. Prepared any way.

Fried.  Fried potatoes are another of my weaknesses.  I can easily give up the bun on my hamburger in exchange for a 1/2 cup fried potatoes. 

My son won't eat a chip or french fry...he does like my fried potatoes.....but he loves sweets.  I guess because I deprived him as a child.  ;)

• Like 1

And, I do love a hot KK donut; the packaged KKs in the store, not at all.

Me too! My dc have been begging me to get some KK from the grocery store because the glaze has had time to harden. For me they have to be fresh.

But in the end I'd rather have a DD. I think they're slightly less sweet than KK. Slightly. :p

No TH here.

• Like 1

Grew up in Winston-Salem and I can remember going to the original KK and getting fresh, hot doughnuts.  Now I keep kosher, which means getting a kosher KK doughnut is a rare treat.  Sometimes when my DH goes on Gov't business, he gets me some from the Dupont Circle location. True Love.

We might retire to Richmond VA someday only because they have kosher KK in town and the people are friendly....

• Like 1

I was born, raised and still live in the home town of KK. So needless to say that's where my doughnut loyalty resides. But thankfully I don't really care much for sweets, so to me any doughnut is a big waste of calories. I'd much rather have some hot, crispy, salty french fries.

Going to be in W-S next week - meetup?  :)

My parents live in King and I'm bringing the kids to see them.

I'm nice and not an ax murderer!

• Like 1

I like the unglazed, old fashioned kind of donuts that your can dip in black coffee..I can totally see how the "Hot donuts now" sign would make some great childhood memories. I wasn't introduced to that until college and I've never lived less than 20 miles from a KK.

Now that I am allergic to all the things people usually eat.. Eggs, wheat, dairy and fruits and everything.. The only donuts I get are ones I make myself from chickpea flour and I have to say I think they are pretty darn awesome (and full of protein!)

Going to be in W-S next week - meetup?   :)

My parents live in King and I'm bringing the kids to see them.

I'm nice and not an ax murderer!

I'd love to! But if the weather cooperates (no more snowstorms!) we're making a quick trip to NY from Wednesday through Sunday. So scheduling might be difficult?

My grandparents lived in King from the time I was about seven or eight until they died (when I was around 35).

• Like 1

I'd love to! But if the weather cooperates (no more snowstorms!) we're making a quick trip to NY from Wednesday through Sunday. So scheduling might be difficult?

My grandparents lived in King from the time I was about seven or eight until they died (when I was around 35).

Will be in W-S (King) until Wednesday, 3/29.

Maybe we know each other already?  Went to NFHS '90-'92 - played soccer, was in the band (color guard), and was on Quiz Bowl...

I think so too.  I did try their donuts once.  They are glazed donuts like you can get in pretty much any donut shop.  So yes good, but nothing insanely special either.

They HAVE to be eaten hot. Like, if you didn't get them hot, then you have to heat them up in the microwave. Totally different beast when hot...they literally melt in your mouth. 

But cold/room temp? Nothing special. 

My earliest donut memories are Safeway day old donuts and maple bars.So that's probably not a good indicator.  

Krispy Kreme is my favorite glazed, especially if they are hot off the fryer--it was my craving when I was prego.  Dunkin Donuts cheese bagel twists are my favorite if we go there.  Our closest DD has them listed on the menu, but they informed us they never ever have had them in the store.  Travesty!!  

We have only local donut shops here in our town in TX so I pick Donut Palace, but I generally make homemade Cinnabon knockoff rolls.  We are spoiled.