Menu

The BeeGees (earworm alert!)

fairfarmhand

So my drama group is doing a show with a 70s theme and I'm checking out music.

I come across this video.

So, I was born in 1979, and the song's not new to me.

But how in the world did I go all my life thinking that the Beegees were a group of Black women?

I'm questioning everything I know about my life.

• Like 9

I come across this video.

But how in the world did I go all my life thinking that the Beegees were a group of Black women?

That's hilarious!  :lol:

• Like 3

I come across

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:   That is hilarious.  Must be those high-pitched voices.  You don't see men with that kind of range very often.

I was born in 1969 and have always been a fan of 70's music in particular, so of course I had to actually play that entire video.  :party: 

How did you live to be 38 years of and never see a photo of the group, or a news photo when one of them died?

I'm 10 yrs older so I grew up seeing their faces plastered everywhere... newspapers, magazines, tv shows, friends posters, album covers, movies, videos... plus the Barry Gibb skits on SNL

And you should know: BeeGees stands for Brothers Gibb. Barry, and Robin and Maurice who were twins. Also younger brother Andy had a solo career and sold quite a few posters as the heart throb of his day.

• Like 6

:huh: :lol:

I'm dying. You really want to get freaked out? Watch Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Watching the Bee Gees sing Beatles music is whoa!

OH MY GOSH I forgot about this! I saw this movie before I ever heard of the Beatles, so to my ear, the Beatles versions sound "wrong" and I really wasn't ever a fan of any of the Gibb Bros!

Oh my goodness! I love the BeeGees, but then I was born in 66. I still listen to their songs and a couple of Andy's. And had you all seen this a while back dealing with the song linked?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/if-you-thought-cpr-was-too-hard-start-humming-stayin-alive-and-read-this/2015/04/13/30c34422-aa11-11e3-b61e-8051b8b52d06_story.html?utm_term=.09bb6924c42d

• Like 2

my problem with that video is they're not on  a back lit multicolored lighted stage with flashing multicolored lights flashing at them while they're wearing white lycra spandex suits with bling along the collars while jumping around. . .

disco.  don't miss it.

I prefer 60s music.

Edited by gardenmom5

I'm dying here - It's hilarious that you thought the Bee Gees were a group of black women!  The ONLY explanation for that can be that YOU'RE TOO YOUNG!!!  You knew about the Bee Gees, but you didn't live it, like all of us lucky girls born in the 60's!   :lol:

I loved the Bee Gees.  Even now, I think, "wow, that's weird music, but still fun to listen to."  Plus they had a younger brother Andy who was quite a heartthrob in the 70's.

Edited by Denise in IN
  • Like 6

I'm dying here - It's hilarious that you thought the Bee Gees were a group of black women! The ONLY explanation for that can be that YOU"RE TOO YOUNG!!! You knew about the Bee Gees, but you didn't live it, like all of us lucky girls born in the 60's! :lol:

I loved the Bee Gees. Even now, I think, "wow, that's weird music, but still fun to listen to." Plus they had a younger brother Andy who was quite a heartthrob in the 70's.

I played the song for my kids and they don't hate it, except that it easily gets stuck in their heads. But the video, the tight pants, the wind blown hair...they weren't so much into that! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I come across

LOL.....that is hilarious.

That is pretty sad, and very funny at the same time. 

I have to admit that I didn't realize Freddie Mercury was the only one singing all the parts of the "chorus" in Bohemian Rhapsody. I was sure that one of the guitar players had the soprano voice. :laugh:  What an amazing range Freddie had. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

I come across

I. Love. This. :lol:

See that there--1979? You're too young to have been part of the Saturday Night Fever/BeeGee craze as a preteen/teen girl. Too young to have talked with your friends about how Maurice is pronounced like Morris and that Barry and Robin were twins. Too young to have seen their faces in Tiger Beat (presumably). Too young to have bought their music on 45's (because you couldn't afford a whole album) so you could listen to your favorite one over and over. That's why.

• Like 5

See that there--1979? You're too young to have been part of the Saturday Night Fever/BeeGee craze as a preteen/teen girl. Too young to have talked with your friends about how Maurice is pronounced like Morris and that Barry and Robin were twins. Too young to have seen their faces in Tiger Beat (presumably). Too young to have bought their music on 45's (because you couldn't afford a whole album) so you could listen to your favorite one over and over. That's why.

not that it matters much, but pretty sure maurice and robin were the twins - barry was the oldest.

and I miss my record player from the 60's and the things you could do you couldn't on later (and better quality) players.

• Like 2

I was born in 70 and my first singer crush was andy gibb ( the cute younger brother that of)   I  loved the beegees  had to keep my disco era music likes a secret for years LOL  My sons knew my secret and always thought it was a  girl group too 

• Like 1

:huh: :lol:

I'm dying.  You really want to get freaked out?  Watch Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.  Watching the Bee Gees sing Beatles music is whoa!

I've got a 9-year-old who can sing any Beatles song. His favorite album is Sgt. Pepper  :huh:

It's hilarious to see the 70-year-olds come up to him while he's wearing a Beatles shirt and be drawn into a huge conversation about them. Which one was left-handed, who spent a lot of their childhood in the hospital, where did they sign the contract to officially break-up, and on and on.

We took all of the kids to see a group that tours the country singing the Sgt. Pepper album. Guess who sang along with every song... The looks on peoples' faces were priceless.

• Like 1

I'm so old that when some mentions the BeeGees this is the first song that pops into my mind:

I was about to post that I'm so old that when someone mentions The Bee Gees I don't think of disco music. 

Other songs that come to mind when I hear their name: I Started a Joke and How Can You Mend a Broken Heart

• Like 4

How did you live to be 38 years of and never see a photo of the group, or a news photo when one of them died?

I'm 10 yrs older so I grew up seeing their faces plastered everywhere... newspapers, magazines, tv shows, friends posters, album covers, movies, videos... plus the Barry Gibb skits on SNL

And you should know: BeeGees stands for Brothers Gibb. Barry, and Robin and Maurice who were twins. Also younger brother Andy had a solo career and sold quite a few posters as the heart throb of his day.

I'm dying here - It's hilarious that you thought the Bee Gees were a group of black women!  The ONLY explanation for that can be that YOU'RE TOO YOUNG!!!  You knew about the Bee Gees, but you didn't live it, like all of us lucky girls born in the 60's!   :lol:

I loved the Bee Gees.  Even now, I think, "wow, that's weird music, but still fun to listen to."  Plus they had a younger brother Andy who was quite a heartthrob in the 70's.

See this is what happens when you grow up in a household where the only acceptable music is Sacred Music. All else is of the devil. So I do have gaping holes in my pop culture education.

Oh, my gosh! I'm suddenly 10 years old again, roller skating under a disco ball...

It's funny how a strutting John Travolta appears in my mind right along the 3 of them :coolgleamA:   

I was watching Welcome Back Kotter the other day and...Vinnie Barbarino...what an interesting show.

• Like 2

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Thank you for sharing. Because that's the funniest thing I've read today.

I guess disco was the great uniter. So overproduced you couldn't tell what sort of voice was doing the singing.

And yes, now I'll have Stayin Alive stuck in my head.

• Like 2

I guess you never heard that The Bee Gees (B.G.'s) stands for The Brothers Gibb?

:lol:

That's OK. I had heard of Adam Levine. I'd even seen him enough here and there to recognize him. I also like a lot of Maroon Five's songs that I hear on the radio. Only in the past few weeks did I realize that Adam Levine is the lead singer of Maroon Five.  :blushing:

• Like 3

I guess you never heard that The Bee Gees (B.G.'s) stands for The Brothers Gibb?

:lol:

That's OK. I had heard of Adam Levine. I'd even seen him enough here and there to recognize him. I also like a lot of Maroon Five's songs that I hear on the radio. Only in the past few weeks did I realize that Adam Levine is the lead singer of Maroon Five. :blushing:

DH did the same thing with Gwen Stefani. A few years ago we were watching something on TV and DH wondered aloud why she was performing with No Doubt. LOL! He never realized that she was the lead singer. Edited by edelweiss
  • Like 1

I had a photo collage on my bedroom wall. Bobby Sherman had a prominent place.

It has been a few years since I've spotted him, but Bobby Sherman lives (or lived) in my general neighborhood and he has a vintage fire truck that he brings to events as part of fundraising efforts for a charity he's involved with.

Earwig alert:

http://youtu.be/Lvluf32HT1E

• Like 2

AHh Tiger Beat...that takes me back :) Also 16 was another in that vein. We used to devour those magazines and read 'em till they fell apart..LOL.

In the heyday of Tiger Beat my best friend's dad was the publisher of the magazine. I remember thinking his dad was crazy when he left Tiger Beat to publish a boring magazine for adults called Los Angeles. Later I realized adults are smarted than kids.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car