Menu

The things of yesteryear (products)

DawnM

I wish I still had my Garbage Pail Kids.

Remeber how the same card had a "twin" with a different name? My sister and I thought it was awesome that Jenny Jelly and Sara Slime were twins since Sara and Jenny are our names. :) As an adult I think GPK are pretty gross and sometimes disturbing, but we thought they were fun as kids.

• Like 2

Does anyone remember the candy called Bonkers? Kind of like a starburst but more intense, with a concentrated flavor in the center. If I could just have one more piece of bonkers candy I would be so happy. I never understood why they stopped making them because they were AWESOME!

Also I had a bathing suit that had suspenders (?) A two piece with straps attached to the bottoms that you wore over the shoulders. Seriously?

And humongous TEAL glasses that covered half my face.

I still have my childhood stuffed panda bear named Bonkers, and the other named Skittles. ;)

• Like 2

Since I taught what I could remember to my daughter, my version want like this:

Oh little enemy

Come out and fight with me

And bring your bb gun

And we'll have lots of fun

I'll poke your eyes out and make you bleed to death

And we'll be jolly enemies

Forever more 1234

Oh little enemy

I can't come out and fight

My heiny's black and blue

Boo hoo hoo hoo

Can't poke your eyes out

Can't make you bleed to death

But we'll be jolly enemies

Forever more 1234

See see my enemy,

come out and fight with me

Bring out your ?? three,

Climb up my poison tree,

Slide down my razor blade

Into my dungeon door

And we'll be enemies

Forever more, more, 1,2,3,4

Nice version

See see my playmate,

come out and play with me

Bring out your dollies three,

Climb up my apple tree,

Slide down my rainbow

Into my cellar door

And we'll be playmates

Forever more, more, 1,2,3,4

There was a third version I think, but I don't remember what.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't ever remember seeing chocolate cigarettes, just ones made of this hard, chalky white candy and then others made of bubble gum. Both kinds would emit a white, powdery residue if you blew through them--just like real cigarettes! [emoji38]

The candy ones would make a fake smoke??? I never knew. I just would have them when it was cold enough to see your breath to get that effect...

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Toilet paper used to come in colors. Pink, baby blue. I think yellow and green, too? Now it's just white.

Of course, toilets themselves used to come in colors, too.

I remember color tp mostly because when I moved to TX I saw a nurse practitioner about what I thought was a yeast infection. It wasn't. So she ran all the std tests. I was all :ohmy:  (because it would have been dh's fault and my mind just could not go there) but those were negative. So she suggested I use only white tp; maybe I was reacting to the dye in color tp. But I was already only using white tp. So she suggested I switch to Dove soap for the moisturizing aspect. So after all this there was no actual disease/infection. Turns out my body was having a hard time adjusting to the lack of humidity in west TX, and after I started drinking over a gallon of water a day my "infection" cleared up on its own.

Preppy was big when I hit college, though I was never in fashion.

Same here. I remember going to the mall and seeing all the preppy fashions in A&F. Imagine my shock the next time I heard of A&F many many years later because they were in the news for their racy (to be it mildly) catalogs. :svengo:

• Like 1

When we travelled it was a treat that my mom bought these chocolate stick things that I can't remember the name of!

They were soft and individually wrapped. I think the box was red and for some reason I think skiing was part of the packaging.

I remember them!  They were individually wrapped in a kind of paper/foil material and I think they also came in peanut butter flavor?

• Like 2

I had clackers on strings! Then they came out with the ones on hard plastic stems. Those were so boring. :tongue_smilie:

Those must have driven parents and teachers insane.  I remember they outlawed them (maybe just at my school?) because "these can shatter".  They probably had shattered the nerves of every adult in the place.  

Those must have driven parents and teachers insane.  I remember they outlawed them (maybe just at my school?) because "these can shatter".  They probably had shattered the nerves of every adult in the place.  

I'm betting more likely that they could be used as weapons--like bolas.

• Like 1

My wife came home the other day practically bursting at the buttons because she'd found a mint condition coral-pink Rotary Phone.

This is one of the classic Bell System/Western Electric desk phones.

She was giddy and looked at me to set it up.

I said: You know we gave up out landline a year ago?

So?

Bill

• Like 9

I remember them!  They were individually wrapped in a kind of paper/foil material and I think they also came in peanut butter flavor?

Space Food sticks! I had forgotten about them.

http://www.metv.com/stories/space-food-sticks-were-the-coolest-snack-of-the-1970s

Do you remember watching SeaLab 2020? It was a Saturday morning cartoon. Others: 

Herculoids

Fantastic Four

Banana Splits

Johnny Quest

Journey to the Center of the Earth

Fantastic Voyage

The Perils of Penelope Pitstop

HR Pufnstuf

The Bugaloos

Josie and the Pussycats

the Groovy Ghoulies

The Monkees

Land of the Lost

Sigmund and the Sea Monsters

Inch High Private Eye

Shazam and Isis

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 3

Space Food Sticks!

At the time, I thought they were soooooo yummy.  I bet I wouldn't think the same thing now. 

I think that was the same year that Twinkies and Ding Dongs boxes had presidential trading cards printed on the back.

Edited by TrixieB
  • Like 2

I was just at Target and saw a Stretch Armstrong! My little sister had one in the 70s. I vividly remember a time when we were home alone and heard a noise. I grabbed the Stretch Armstrong as a weapon (it was filled with a gel and was very heavy) to see what was going on---never did find the source of the noise.

• Like 3

Tab was my favorite drink in high school. That's way back when pop came in tall glass bottles. And I remember when Cool Ranch Doritos first came out, it was like this big, exciting thing because there weren't a thousand different flavors of chips like there are now.

One more thing that just popped into my head is Mexican jumping beans. The Ben Franklin dime store in our town always had a display of jumping beans by the register. I haven't seen those things for many years!

I'm really late in this thread but I wanted to say Tab is still around! My DH and ds drink it. I buy it in 12 packs. DH even has a Tab t-shirt.

• Like 2

Space Food Sticks!

At the time, I thought they were soooooo yummy.  I bet I wouldn't think the same thing now. 

I think that was the same year that Twinkies and Ding Dongs boxes had presidential trading cards printed on the back.

My mom used to buy Space Sticks.

Food of Astronauts (they said).  

• Like 1

I found an old picture of Christmas morning in my box of old photos.

I had opened some weird disc type toy you could sit on and wobble around.  If I find the pic again, I will post it.  I have no idea what it was and I don't remember it.

TaB wasn't the same after they had to remove the saccharine. Have they put it back in?

The ingredients say calcium saccharine. I don't know if that's the same thing. DH's family have been drinking it since it was first introduced. I didn't know the origin of it's name until just now. It's called Tab because people were keeping tabs on their weight. haha!

• Like 1

The ingredients say calcium saccharine. I don't know if that's the same thing. DH's family have been drinking it since it was first introduced. I didn't know the origin of it's name until just now. It's called Tab because people were keeping tabs on their weight. haha!

Yep, Totally Artificial Beverage.

The days when I would ice cream and a tab.

Edited by kewb
  • Like 1

I found an old picture of Christmas morning in my box of old photos.

I had opened some weird disc type toy you could sit on and wobble around.  If I find the pic again, I will post it.  I have no idea what it was and I don't remember it.

Sit N Spin? My little sister had one of those. http://www.skooldays.com/categories/toys/ty1147.htm

We had a monkey swing (flat disc swing with the rope coming up out of the middle) and a tetherball. We also had a lemon twist---a plastic lemon with something inside that rattled attached to a ring, put the ring around your ankle and start swinging the lemon with the goal of skipping over it. 

We played a lot with Colorforms, Lite Brite, our Easy Bake oven that used a light bulb, Mystery Date board game, Toss Across, and our Wheel-O.

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 3

Sit N Spin? My little sister had one of those. http://www.skooldays.com/categories/toys/ty1147.htm

We had a monkey swing (flat disc swing with the rope coming up out of the middle) and a tetherball. We also had a lemon twist---a plastic lemon with something inside that rattled attached to a ring, put the ring around your ankle and start swinging the lemon with the goal of skipping over it. 

We played a lot with Colorforms, Lite Brite, our Easy Bake oven that used a light bulb, Mystery Date board game, Toss Across, and our Wheel-O.

No, it wasn't a sit N Spin.  I remember those.  It was something I can't even seem to find online.  I will try to find the pic so I can post it.

There is a slight chance it was actually a sled, one of those disc types, but I seemed to remember the picture with someone standing on it indoors with a handle of some sort.

I am not at home right now, and I may not have time tonight, but I can look tomorrow after work.

Does anyone remember "painting parties"? They were like Tupperware parties for oil paintings. This would've been in the 1980s.

I still have a large painting my parents bought me for my 16th birthday and a small painting that I bought my late mom as a birthday gift one year.

My late sister loved them and hosted quite a few parties.

• Like 2

And my mom, my grandma, and all my friends moms had their homes decorated wall to wall with Home Interiors.

Oh, yes, Home Interiors! Did they have any of the wall butterflies? :)  I think also remember Home Interior candle sconces and artificial flower arrangements.

• Like 4

Oh, yes, Home Interiors! Did they have any of the wall butterflies? :) I think also remember Home Interior candle sconces and artificial flower arrangements.

Yes, the wall butterflies! I remember those at my grandma's house. She always has to decorate with a theme. Ducks, butterfies, fruit, Coke-a-Cola. Right now it's chickens. She doesn't "get" me when I say a decorating scheme doesn't have to be one thing repeated over and over. Costal Cottage, Costal Americana, Mid-Century Modern, whatever you call the Joanna Gaines look. All these and many others allow for more flexibility in choosing pieces. Nope. According to her, I haven't decorated because I haven't chosen a single object as my theme. :lol:

My mom was big on the glass votive candle sconces. Her go-to was a framed print of a Victorian house, a shelf underneath it with fake ivy and a porcelain Victorian lady on it. A votive wall sconce with a hunter green or burgundy candle in it finished off the look. She had that ensemble with different houses and ladies in the living room, master bedroom, and master bathroom.

My childhood bff had the same thing going on at her house. :laugh:

• Like 5

"Say, say, o playmate, come out and play with me..." was popular with us as well, along with variations. We had one including hippies, marijuana, needles, and LSD (it was the very early 70s, even in very straitlaced small town NC), and one with monsters that I don't remember as well. Our other favorite playground songs in elementary (not clapping games, though) were "Great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts," "On top of spaghetti, all covered with cheese," and "My eyes have seen the glory of the burning of the school." We had jump rope rhymes like "Cinderella dressed in yellow."

I was just singing "Great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts" to my DS a few days ago. :lol:

• Like 1

We had the Grease soundtrack on 8 track

My 4th grade teacher gave the entire class the Grease soundtrack on album.   I don't remember what the occasion was.  By the time I was old enough to have a car/stereo system, 8 tracks were pretty much done in favor of cassette tapes.

I definitely know gopher guts, on top of spaghetti and lots of other clapping songs.

• Like 1

Space Food sticks! I had forgotten about them.

http://www.metv.com/stories/space-food-sticks-were-the-coolest-snack-of-the-1970s

Do you remember watching SeaLab 2020? It was a Saturday morning cartoon. Others: 

Herculoids

Fantastic Four

Banana Splits

Johnny Quest

Journey to the Center of the Earth

Fantastic Voyage

The Perils of Penelope Pitstop

HR Pufnstuf

The Bugaloos

Josie and the Pussycats

the Groovy Ghoulies

The Monkees

Land of the Lost

Sigmund and the Sea Monsters

Inch High Private Eye

Shazam and Isis

Love times 1000!  I actually own Johnny Quest on dvd. ;)

• Like 3

Lemon-up Shampoo

reading Boys Life magazines (I am female, but they belonged to my brother!)

Slime that we had as kids, probably the original stuff, it had a certain smell and was very slimy!

Creepy Crawlies: that you made on these hot metal plates. We used to  make these rubber like creatures for hours in my friend's bedroom. Totally unsupervised and unsafe I am sure, as I can remember touching the hotplate. But we learned quickly and learned how not to touch it. We never burned the house down. I am sure if these were sold now, there would be many safety features, warnings, etc. and someone would still find a way to sue the company for something stupid they would do!

(Guess I am giving away my age by listing these! Ha!)

• Like 2