Menu

The things of yesteryear (products)

DawnM

I used to watch my mother get ready when she was going out for a special evening with Dad. One of her favorite colognes was a little roll-on called Here's My Heart, by Avon. She'd put a little on my wrist. It is such a sweet memory, I tear up thinking of it. I would love to smell it again.

• Like 10

Tab was my favorite drink in high school. That's way back when pop came in tall glass bottles. And I remember when Cool Ranch Doritos first came out, it was like this big, exciting thing because there weren't a thousand different flavors of chips like there are now.

One more thing that just popped into my head is Mexican jumping beans. The Ben Franklin dime store in our town always had a display of jumping beans by the register. I haven't seen those things for many years!

• Like 4

When I was little, I loved riding my bike to the news stand with my friends and buying candy. Man, that stuff was toxic, but it was fun. Some of my favorites:

Gold Rush Gum

Fun Dip

Bazooka gum (with the little comics)

Smarties lollipops

Candy cigarettes

Pop Rocks

Bottle Caps

We're your candy cigarettes Popeye cigarettes with the red tip? We had those and other candy cigarettes that looked like real cigarettes, it was gum though with a fine powder sugar around that was wrapped in paper so that when you blew on the cigarette the powder sugar would come out like it was smoke.

• Like 5

I used to watch my mother get ready when she was going out for a special evening with Dad. One of her favorite colognes was a little roll-on called Here's My Heart, by Avon. She'd put a little on my wrist. It is such a sweet memory, I tear up thinking of it. I would love to smell it again.

I love this, Chris. There are some Here's My Heart roll-ons for sale on eBay. 

• Like 1

We're your candy cigarettes Popeye cigarettes with the red tip? We had those and other candy cigarettes that looked like real cigarettes, it was gum though with a fine powder sugar around that was wrapped in paper so that when you blew on the cigarette the powder sugar would come out like it was smoke.

No, I don't remember the Popeye ones...I think the ones I bought looked more like a real box of cigarettes. Good times!  :)

I also liked the pink and blue bubblegum cigars.  :p  There was Big League Chew, too, but that was out of my price range at about $1 a package.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

Wonder if the vintage stuff would have a rancid smell 40 years later???

It depends how it's been stored, how much is left in the bottle, what kind of perfume it is... If I were buying some, I would definitely ask the seller if it still smells nice or if it's turned. Perfume oils often hold up well, but other types can go all alcohol-y.

• Like 1

Does anyone else remember the Frosted Wheats that weren't Mini-Wheats? They were big chunks that had to be broken up with your spoon. I also liked Raisin Squares.

I think I've still seen those. You want the "big biscuit" type. My brother and I called them haystacks.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have fond memories of playing with real metal jacks--not plastic made to look like metal. My friends and I would play jacks at recess. We'd find a spot with smooth concrete--the best surface for jacks--and use only a golf ball, which we thought was the ideal ball. We thought the rubber bouncy balls were unreliable as they might decide to bounce too high or go off in the wrong direction.

I also remember a friend and I sneaking Vicks cough drops during recess because it was our favorite candy but it wasn't candy, y'know. Do these still exist?

And picnics at the beach with mom cooking on a small hibachi. The ones from my childhood were small and low-profile cast iron grills. By the time dh and I married hibachis were made of steel, but when that one died we never found another and had to settle for the smallest Weber which is still at least twice as big as that old hibachi. (Ooh--I just checked Amazon and see they carry both kinds of hibachi. Squee!)

And taking lunch in wax paper sandwich bags.

I'm sure I'll think of more. I have lots of yester-years to remember. :p

• Like 5

Does anyone else remember the Frosted Wheats that weren't Mini-Wheats? They were big chunks that had to be broken up with your spoon. I also liked Raisin Squares.

I do!

But I grew up on a similar product, called Wheetabix and they come in the same large chunks.

• Like 1

Things from junior high (1978-1980):

Love's Baby Soft

Jean Naté

Kissing Potions lip gloss

Bonnie Bell blushing gel

A fairly large comb in the back pocket of your jeans for your feathered hair

Chemin de Fer jeans, Dittos

We ate the oh-so-healthy cafeteria food. Donuts for break, greasy fried burritos or a mystery meat hamburger for lunch (tasted like no other burger I've eve had).

• Like 12

Banana clips for hair. And big hair clip bows, worn either at the crown of the head or at the nape of the neck at the end of a French braid. Hot rollers for my hair every day.

I used to have a few dickey collars that I wore underneath crew neck sweaters instead of having a full blouse underneath, but I think they weren't in wide use at that time

Prairie skirts. Giant shoulder pads. Stirrup pants.

I also had a canopy over my bed. Haven't seen those for awhile.

• Like 9

I think these made a comeback recently, but crimpers. And tight rolled jeans. And cans and cans and cans of hairspray. Slap bracelets. Bag phones. Z Cavaricci (so?), I.O.U. I could probably keep going 😊

Anybody remember Garbage Pail Kids?

I was horrified to learn that tight rolled jeans are making a big comeback.  Apparently that's the thing to wear right now with super cute heeled booties.  

• Like 1

Birthday Cake flavored lip balm

original clackers

zotz fizz candy

I have fond Christmas memories of candles shaped like angels and choir children and reindeer.  And tinsel

banana seat bikes

suzy homemaker toys....my mother was quite the feminist so I didn't actually have any of these, but my friends did :)

Charlie perfume...didn't like it, but it seemed live "everyone" wore it

• Like 3

Does anyone remember when knickers were in back in the early 80's? Like golfer's knickers that came down to just below the knee? We would wear those with long argyle socks and monogrammed sweaters.

Yep. I had a lovely maroon pair that I worn with a white blouse with ruffles at the throat. Yeah, I was stylin'. :coolgleamA: I tripped coming in from recess and put a hole in them. I was so upset. I always did sort of enjoy getting fussed over in the nurse's office, though, so at least I got to make a trip there for iodine and a bandaid. 

• Like 4

Yep. I had a lovely maroon pair that I worn with a white blouse with ruffles at the throat. Yeah, I was stylin'. :coolgleamA: I tripped coming in from recess and put a hole in them. I was so upset. I always did sort of enjoy getting fussed over in the nurse's office, though, so at least I got to make a trip there for iodine and a bandaid. 

First I was  :crying: , then I was  :lol:

• Like 1

I didn't have the knickers, but my sister did.

I did wear a lot of blouses with a high ruffled collar. Also blouses with a peter pan collar worn with a scarf thing tied in a bow. Some of my blouses had the bow as part of the shirt, but I had a collection of bows that I could add to any blouse.

I had a lot of blouses. And then when I went to college, I discovered that I didn't want to iron them and switched to turtlenecks. I don't wear turtlenecks any more, either, but I used to have quite a few. Many of them had cute little designs printed all over them.

• Like 2

Oh my, y'all sparked memories for me! I had burgundy corduroy knickers, and I had several prairie skirts. One year, in 10th grade, I wore a large round skirt midi length, with a big Irish type sweater (I think I belted it) and tights. My long hair had two mini braids at the sides. My best friend said I looked like I had just stepped out of Seventeen magazine. Best compliment I ever got.

Y

Edited by Chris in VA
  • Like 10

Banana clips for hair. And big hair clip bows, worn either at the crown of the head or at the nape of the neck at the end of a French braid. Hot rollers for my hair every day.

I used to have a few dickey collars that I wore underneath crew neck sweaters instead of having a full blouse underneath, but I think they weren't in wide use at that time

Prairie skirts. Giant shoulder pads. Stirrup pants.

I also had a canopy over my bed. Haven't seen those for awhile.

I think we are same exact age LOL!!!

• Like 2

original clackers

zotz fizz candy

I have fond Christmas memories of candles shaped like angels and choir children and reindeer. And tinsel

banana seat bikes

suzy homemaker toys....my mother was quite the feminist so I didn't actually have any of these, but my friends did :)

What the heck happened to the Christmas tree tinsel?!?!?! I still look for it every year....

• Like 1

original clackers

zotz fizz candy

I have fond Christmas memories of candles shaped like angels and choir children and reindeer.  And tinsel

banana seat bikes

I loved the peppermint chap stick that came out at Christmas.

And root beer chapstick.  And then they had Dr. Pepper.

• Like 2

I had rabbit's fur mittens (which seems :(  to me now, but it was the 70s). My cat liked them very much, and I had to hide them in a cupboard, or he would steal them and carry them around the house.

I also had a muff. I never see muffs any more.

I had a rabbit fur muff and hat, too.  :( I wore them to church and felt very elegant.

• Like 3

Oh my, y'all sparked memories for me! I had burgundy corduroy knickers, and I had several prairie skirts. One year, in 10th grade, I wore a large round skirt midi length, with a big Irish type sweater (I think I belted it) and tights. My long hair had two mini braids at the sides. My best friend said I looked like I had just stepped out of Seventeen magazine. Best compliment I ever got.

My mom used to buy me the big Seventeen back-to-school issue every year. I loved it. 

I bet you looked amazing! 

• Like 5

I have fond memories of playing with real metal jacks--not plastic made to look like metal. My friends and I would play jacks at recess. We'd find a spot with smooth concrete--the best surface for jacks--and use only a golf ball, which we thought was the ideal ball. We thought the rubber bouncy balls were unreliable as they might decide to bounce too high or go off in the wrong direction.

I also remember a friend and I sneaking Vicks cough drops during recess because it was our favorite candy but it wasn't candy, y'know. Do these still exist?

And picnics at the beach with mom cooking on a small hibachi. The ones from my childhood were small and low-profile cast iron grills. By the time dh and I married hibachis were made of steel, but when that one died we never found another and had to settle for the smallest Weber which is still at least twice as big as that old hibachi. (Ooh--I just checked Amazon and see they carry both kinds of hibachi. Squee!)

And taking lunch in wax paper sandwich bags.

I'm sure I'll think of more. I have lots of yester-years to remember. :p

We used to play with the metal jacks at recess all the time! And Chinese jumprope.

• Like 2

I don't think you were styling as much as I was in my sea foam green corduroy knickers with coordinating ruffle blouse.  Complete with gold edging on the ruffles.  That I wore with my gold metalic ballet flats.

• Like 5