Menu

The things of yesteryear (products)

DawnM

Did any of you use Sun-In on your hair?   I did.  They even sold it overseas.  My hair was always super dry because of that product!

One of my friends in college did, but, unfortunately, she had really dark hair with red highlights. She looked like a carrot! You can still buy it https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Spray-Lightener-Tropical-Breeze/dp/B00008PC1O?th=1.  

There were also those known to just douse their heads in lemon juice and lay out (probably also covered in baby oil or tanning oil) to get a similar effect.

• Like 1

Lemon-up Shampoo

reading Boys Life magazines (I am female, but they belonged to my brother!)

Slime that we had as kids, probably the original stuff, it had a certain smell and was very slimy!

Creepy Crawlies: that you made on these hot metal plates. We used to  make these rubber like creatures for hours in my friend's bedroom. Totally unsupervised and unsafe I am sure, as I can remember touching the hotplate. But we learned quickly and learned how not to touch it. We never burned the house down. I am sure if these were sold now, there would be many safety features, warnings, etc. and someone would still find a way to sue the company for something stupid they would do!

(Guess I am giving away my age by listing these! Ha!)

I think we had Incredible Edibles, which was the edible version of Creepy Crawlers

I remember using Silly Putty with the Sunday comics. We'd flatten it out over the comics to transfer the ink then mess with the image. We thought it was amazing! :)

Now one of the toys my husband very fondly remembers is a working plastic model toy guillotine with a prisoner you could behead. One of his older cousins had one and he thought it was the coolest thing. Back when my daughter was a baby he came across a re-issue of it and bought two---one he could paint (including "blood" on the blade, etc) and one to put back for her when she was older. His is still displayed on a shelf but I don't think they've ever put hers together and I'm not sure where it is at the moment. http://www.professorplastik.com/monster_site/proscenium/kits/xtrakits/othernonmonsteraurorakits/historicalkits/guillotine/guillotine_kit.htm   You drop the blade and the head falls in the basket.

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 1

Did any of you use Sun-In on your hair?   I did.  They even sold it overseas.  My hair was always super dry because of that product!

Oh, yeah!  My older, super-cool sisters used this on me when I was around 10.  I thought I was something special w/those blonde highlights in my dark brown hair!   :001_cool:

• Like 1

I used to love Quisp cereal. They used to have Quisp and Quake, and then they had a contest to see which one was more popular and Quisp one, so they removed Quake. It was so yummy!

http://www.thefirstfew.com/wp-content/uploads/quisp_cereal_box.jpg

http://nightflight.com/wp-content/uploads/quakebox.jpg

We also had this board game called Hit the Beach. It was a war game, and the Japanese men were all yellow. We had no idea how insulting that was!

http://muskegonareagamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/6330101794_ccd8538d5b_b.jpg

Edited by Home'scool
  • Like 2

Did anyone else have Johnny West and Jane West Western action figures? They had molded-on clothes and rubber accessories like hats, vests, spurs, skirt, saddles, guns and holsters, etc. I had Johnny, Jane, and their horses, while my husband remembers having Johnny and a bad guy who wore a black hat, along with a bunch of camping gear.

http://www.marxtoymuseum.com/action_figures.html

We also had a Sunshine Family (but not any of the accessory sets, as far as I remember) http://clickamericana.com/eras/1970s/sunshine-family-play-sets-1970s

Initially, the bulk of my Barbies came from a cousin who was about 10 years older than me (so born in the early 50s). One of my Kens had flocked brown hair rather than rooted or molded on hair, so it looks like he was a 1961 model http://www.fashion-doll-guide.com/Vintage-Ken-Doll.html. He had a bit of a rough time of it, and was missing an arm (whether we got him that way or inflicted it, I don't know  :) ), so we said he'd been injured in the war. His primary role was to be the groom in the wedding, then we'd throw him under the bed and say he went to work or died.

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 3

I loved my Fisher-price family house and my Weebles camper.

The Weebles would come visit the Fisher-price family and park in the empty lot next door.

:)

"Weebles wobble  but they don't fall down!" :)

How about Romper Stompers? Basically upside down plastic cups with long strings through that you could use as low stilts.

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 4

Did anyone else have Johnny West and Jane West Western action figures? They had molded-on clothes and rubber accessories like hats, vests, spurs, skirt, saddles, guns and holsters, etc. I had Johnny, Jane, and their horses, while my husband remembers having Johnny and a bad guy who wore a black hat, along with a bunch of camping gear.

http://www.marxtoymuseum.com/action_figures.html

We also had a Sunshine Family (but not any of the accessory sets, as far as I remember) http://clickamericana.com/eras/1970s/sunshine-family-play-sets-1970s

Yes! I had Jane, her horse, their stable, and lots of accessories (including both guns and lipstick!). I loved dressing Jane and packing up the horse's saddle bags for adventure. They sell fairly well on eBay, last I checked, and that's where mine are headed, especially after the "No One Wants Granny's Stuff" thread.

I also had the Sunshine Family and their house. They were very sweet. I actually got them out for my daughter to play with recently, but she wasn't as enthralled as I was.  ;) She's not a doll person.

I spent many, many happy hours playing with both sets.  :)

• Like 2

I loved my Fisher-price family house and my Weebles camper.

The Weebles would come visit the Fisher-price family and park in the empty lot next door.

:)

I had a Weebles jungle treehouse, ranch, submarine, and playground. It sounds like I had a ton of toys, and I guess I did, but my mom was an avid garage saler before it was cool.  :001_cool:

• Like 3

I had a Weebles jungle treehouse, ranch, submarine, and playground. It sounds like I had a ton of toys, and I guess I did, but my mom was an avid garage saler before it was cool. :001_cool:

It *never* occurred to me that there was other Weebles stuff. In my world the Weebles family were just modern day nomads with a convertible pulling a camper! :)

• Like 3

When I was little, I loved riding my bike to the news stand with my friends and buying candy. Man, that stuff was toxic, but it was fun. Some of my favorites:

Gold Rush Gum

Fun Dip

Bazooka gum (with the little comics)

Smarties lollipops

Candy cigarettes

Pop Rocks

Bottle Caps

All these items are sold at The Mast General Store(https://www.mastgeneralstore.com/candy/old-fashioned-favorites#Page=All|). There are real-life stores in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. I always get candy from there for my kids' stockings.  :thumbup1:

Edited by Momofeat
  • Like 3

I wanted Weebles sooo badly, but never got them.  :( I did have the Sunshine family and lots of Fisher Price. No Barbies, but I had her sister, Skipper.

Does anyone remember the Special K commercial - "If you can pinch an inch, you need to eat Special K" or something like that? That one just popped into my head the other day!

• Like 2

I remember cinderella dressed in yella from the early 90s.  I had an obsession with what I think was some sort of clear pepsi around the same time.  And:

girls go to mars to get more candy bars

boys go to jupiter to get more stupider

Crystal Pepsi is back!  They are selling it at my Kroger. 

• Like 1

We have a new version of romper stompers now.

Who remembers Romper Room, the show?

Loved Romper Room.  I do remember my grandma calling the station becasue she never said my name when she looked through her magic mirror.

Also loved Wonderama and Zoom.

Of course, proper tv viewing also included

H.R. Puffinstuff, Sigmond the Sea Monster, Land of the Lost, and Family Affair (I miss my Mrs. Beasley doll)

• Like 1

Loved Romper Room.  I do remember my grandma calling the station becasue she never said my name when she looked through her magic mirror.

H.R. Puffinstuff, Sigmond the Sea Monster, Land of the Lost, and Family Affair (I miss my Mrs. Beasley doll)

Wasn't there something to do with a bee in Romper Room? I have somewhat clearer memories of Captain Kangaroo. Not familiar with Wonderama, but we did watch Zoom and Electric Company. I believe there was also a claymation show called Davey and Goliath, and I loved watching Speed Racer. We'd watch Japanese monster movies on Saturday afternoon, and I was thrilled when they started showing Ultraman on weekday afternoons in our area.

We had a Mrs. Beasley doll.

One of the big milestones of my "growing up" was being allowed to stay up on Friday night until the tv channels went off the air, I think it was around 1 am. Wild and crazy times! ;)

• Like 2

I have fond memories of playing with real metal jacks--not plastic made to look like metal. My friends and I would play jacks at recess. We'd find a spot with smooth concrete--the best surface for jacks--and use only a golf ball, which we thought was the ideal ball. We thought the rubber bouncy balls were unreliable as they might decide to bounce too high or go off in the wrong direction.

I also remember a friend and I sneaking Vicks cough drops during recess because it was our favorite candy but it wasn't candy, y'know. Do these still exist?

And picnics at the beach with mom cooking on a small hibachi. The ones from my childhood were small and low-profile cast iron grills. By the time dh and I married hibachis were made of steel, but when that one died we never found another and had to settle for the smallest Weber which is still at least twice as big as that old hibachi. (Ooh--I just checked Amazon and see they carry both kinds of hibachi. Squee!)

And taking lunch in wax paper sandwich bags.

I'm sure I'll think of more. I have lots of yester-years to remember. :p

Yes to the real jacks!!! My friends and I spent many recesses sitting on a cool terrazzo floor playing jacks while our 4th grade math teacher graded homework papers. Good times. The plastic jacks are sooooo disappointing. Nobody's ever getting to tensies with those clumsy things.

• Like 3

:w00t: Wow, I forgot about some of those!!! I taught my girls Miss Mary Mack, and then later, when they were older, I taught them Miss Lucy:

Miss Lucy had a steamboat

The steamboat had a bell

Miss Lucy went to heaven

And the steamboat went to...

Hell-o operator

Give me number nine...

That one is BURNED into my memory :lol:

Don't forget Rockin Robin!

• Like 1

My college roommate's mom was the local Romper Room lady.  My roommate and her siblings showed up ***every stinkin' day*** in the Magic Mirror.  I cry foul!

And I was on Romper Room.  Or my sister was.  I forget which.

The steamboat had a bell

Miss Lucy went to heaven

Hell-o operator

Give me number nine...

"if you disconnect me I'll kick you in the

Behind the refrigerator there was some broken glass.

Sally sloped and fell and broke her little

Ask me no more questions.

I'll tell you no more lies.

The cows are in the pasture, baking chocolate pies."

Edited by amy g.
  • Like 8

I used to love Quisp cereal. They used to have Quisp and Quake, and then they had a contest to see which one was more popular and Quisp one, so they removed Quake. It was so yummy!

http://www.thefirstfew.com/wp-content/uploads/quisp_cereal_box.jpg

http://nightflight.com/wp-content/uploads/quakebox.jpg

We also had this board game called Hit the Beach. It was a war game, and the Japanese men were all yellow. We had no idea how insulting that was!

http://muskegonareagamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/6330101794_ccd8538d5b_b.jpg

Our Grocery Outlet had Quisp last year and I had to get some. The packaging was the same. It tasted so awful! (It's just like Captain Crunch).

• Like 1

Just thought of something else. I miss real phones - the ones connected to the wall. Dialing a phone used to feel like you were actually doing something.

I still have a house line with phones that sit in their little chargers.

But then someone gave me an old rotary phone because they know I like old things. I plugged it into the wall just to see if it works. It did! It works! I can make calls on my old rotary phone!

The second call I made was to the pharmacy to renew a prescription. It told me to "press 1 if you know your prescription number..." I had to hang up and call back on a phone with numbers I could press. :)

I still use my rotary phone, but not to call companies where I'll have to press buttons.

• Like 6

The steamboat had a bell

Miss Lucy went to heaven

Hell-o operator

Give me number nine...

Those are the ones we said, at our CHRISTIAN school.  The teachers hated it.  I remember one teacher telling us that those words were from Satan.  

Lol!  The ending I remember was:

If you keep your big mouth shut

You will catch no flies!  

:lol:

Edited by Chelle in MO

You guys all sang a much cleaner version than we did.

Miss Suzie had a steamboat

The steamboat had a bell

Miss Suzie went to Heaven

And the Steamboat went to

Hello operator, give me number nine

If you disconnect me, I'll kick your fat

Behind the 'frigerator

There is a piece of glass

If you sit upon it

It will go up your

Ask me no more questions

Tell me no more lies

Boys are in the bedroom

Zipping up their

Flies are in the meadow

Bees are in the park

My sister and her boyfriend

Are kissing in the

D-a-r-k, d-a-r-k, d-a-r-k

Dark is like a theater

A theater's like a show

A show is like a movie

And that is all I know

I know my mother

I know I know my pa

I know I know my sister

Wears a forty-acre bra.

You can get metal jacks here at the supermarket for $2. You guys need me to mail you any?

• Like 1

Just thought of something else. I miss real phones - the ones connected to the wall. Dialing a phone used to feel like you were actually doing something.

We haven't had a home phone in years but I just added landline service and a phone with a cord attached to the wall. I've started leaving the kids home alone more often while I run errands; they have a cell phone but I wanted to make sure there was a phone that couldn't get lost or have a dead battery, and that 911 service could locate quickly. I had fun showing it to my kids and telling them that all phones used to be this way--well, except when I was small and they were mostly rotary dials. I would've loved to get one of those but couldn't find one (and anyway, not so easy to dial 911).

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

You guys all sang a much cleaner version than we did.

Miss Suzie had a steamboat

The steamboat had a bell

Miss Suzie went to Heaven

If you disconnect me, I'll kick your fat

Behind the 'frigerator

There is a piece of glass

If you sit upon it

It will go up your

Ask me no more questions

Tell me no more lies

Boys are in the bedroom

Zipping up their

Flies are in the meadow

Bees are in the park

My sister and her boyfriend

Are kissing in the

D-a-r-k, d-a-r-k, d-a-r-k

Dark is like a theater

A theater's like a show

A show is like a movie

And that is all I know

I know my mother

I know I know my pa

I know I know my sister

Wears a forty-acre bra.

You can get metal jacks here at the supermarket for $2. You guys need me to mail you any?

:laugh:

:lol: I had no idea there were so many versions of Miss Lucy/Suzie! 

This is the version we sang:

The steamboat had a bell

Miss Lucy went to Heaven

If you disconnect me, I will chop off your

Behind the 'frigerator

There was a piece of glass

Miss Lucy sat upon it and

It went right up her

Ask me no more questions

Tell me no more lies

The boys are in the girls' room

Pulling down their

Flies are in the meadow

Bees are in the park

The boys and girls are kissing in the

D-a-r-k, d-a-r-k, d-a-r-k DARK!

And I remember Romper Room, but does anyone remember the Magic Garden?! Oh, how I loved that show. I can probably still remember all the words to the songs the sang. And the Chuckle Patch was my favorite thing. I remember finding little patches of wildflowers during my childhood explorations and always looking to see if there were any jokes tied to the flowers.  And the Story Box!  :001_wub:

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

Wasn't there something to do with a bee in Romper Room? I have somewhat clearer memories of Captain Kangaroo. Not familiar with Wonderama, but we did watch Zoom and Electric Company. I believe there was also a claymation show called Davey and Goliath, and I loved watching Speed Racer. We'd watch Japanese monster movies on Saturday afternoon, and I was thrilled when they started showing Ultraman on weekday afternoons in our area.

We had a Mrs. Beasley doll.

One of the big milestones of my "growing up" was being allowed to stay up on Friday night until the tv channels went off the air, I think it was around 1 am. Wild and crazy times! ;)

The Do-Bee!!!

Space Food sticks! I had forgotten about them.

http://www.metv.com/stories/space-food-sticks-were-the-coolest-snack-of-the-1970s

Do you remember watching SeaLab 2020? It was a Saturday morning cartoon. Others: 

Herculoids

Fantastic Four

Banana Splits

Johnny Quest

Journey to the Center of the Earth

Fantastic Voyage

The Perils of Penelope Pitstop

HR Pufnstuf

The Bugaloos

Josie and the Pussycats

the Groovy Ghoulies

The Monkees

Land of the Lost

Sigmund and the Sea Monsters

Inch High Private Eye

Shazam and Isis

I had forgotten some of those.  I have only watched a few of them.  

My son watched some classic cartoons and would watch Banana Splits and I would sing the theme song along with them.

One banana

Two banana

Three banana

Four

Edited by DawnM

:lol: I had no idea there were so many versions of Miss Lucy/Suzie!

This is the version we sang:

The steamboat had a bell

Miss Lucy went to Heaven

If you disconnect me, I will chop off your

Behind the 'frigerator

There was a piece of glass

Miss Lucy sat upon it and

It went right up her

Ask me no more questions

Tell me no more lies

The boys are in the girls' room

Pulling down their

Flies are in the meadow

Bees are in the park

The boys and girls are kissing in the

D-a-r-k, d-a-r-k, d-a-r-k DARK!

And I remember Romper Room, but does anyone remember the Magic Garden?! Oh, how I loved that show. I can probably still remember all the words to the songs the sang. And the Chuckle Patch was my favorite thing. I remember finding little patches of wildflowers during my childhood explorations and always looking to see if there were any jokes tied to the flowers. And the Story Box! :001_wub:

This was my version as well. And absolutely loved The Magic Garden. I so wanted my own chuckle patch, and a story box, and a pink squirrel.