Menu

The things of yesteryear (products)

DawnM

I don't think you were styling as much as I was in my sea foam green corduroy knickers with coordinating ruffle blouse.  Complete with gold edging on the ruffles.  That I wore with my gold metalic ballet flats.

Okay. You got me. That sounds pretty awesome.

However: in 5th grade, I wore a white shirt and black pants with a *neon green* skinny tie, neon green belt, neon green socks, and black Mary Janes. I ROCKED it. So there.  ;)

• Like 6

However: in 5th grade, I wore a white shirt and black pants with a *neon green* skinny tie, neon green belt, neon green socks, and black Mary Janes. I ROCKED it. So there.  ;)

That is quite awesome.  5th grade fashion for me probably involved some sort of 70's polyester patchwork.  We don't need to go there. However, in 6th grade I remember my love affair with strawbery bonne bell lipsmackers with the awesome roller ball.

• Like 5

Anyone from Canada have plastic hot rollers filled with liquid that you boiled til they were hot and then put in your hair?  My college roommate had gorgeous thick hair and those were the only kind of roller that would set curls in her hair.  You could only buy them from Canada. She would boil them in her hotpot, and then let them work their magic every few days.

• Like 2

I remember having a pair of clogs and those Jesus sandles. Does anyone remover those trading cards that you would get with gum called wacky packages? Also remember getting trading cards or stickers that had different bands like Boney M and Captain and Tenille. We also used to play marbles at recess. Also this game where you would throw a ball against the wall and you had to catch it before it hit the ground and it progressively added things like touch the ground or spin around and if the ball touched the ground before you completed whatever you had to do you were out and the ball passed to another person to see if they could get farther than you?

• Like 5

I remember having a pair of clogs and those Jesus sandles. Does anyone remover those trading cards that you would get with gum called wacky packages? Also remember getting trading cards or stickers that had different bands like Boney M and Captain and Tenille. We also used to play marbles at recess. Also this game where you would throw a ball against the wall and you had to catch it before it hit the ground and it progressively added things like touch the ground or spin around and if the ball touched the ground before you completed whatever you had to do you were out and the ball passed to another person to see if they could get farther than you?

How could forget my clogs. I had a navy blue pair and my dress clogs that were brown with a gold buckle.

The cardboard piece of gum from wacky packs. Check.

• Like 1

Still trying to find Herbal Essence Shampoo - the kind from 1976.

What I would give for it to be 1976 again. :patriot:

I would love the Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific shampoo.  I have read it is still sold in the Philippines.

• Like 1

My white rabbit fur muff had matching wide fur earmuffs rather than a hat when I was little in the 60s. We played a lot with caps---not so much in the pistols but taking the strips and setting them off by laying them on the sidewalk or concrete step and hitting them with a rock. Pixie sticks were a favorite treat.

As a teen in the 70s, I remember trying (unsuccessfully) to walk in my mother's Candie's high heel mules, and I had several pairs of Dr. Scholl's wooden exercise sandals. I was very proud of the platform macrame sandals with long laces that wrapped up around the ankle that I had in 8th grade---until I fell off of one of them in the middle of a church service so I was suddenly tilted sideways.

You could try the Cadbury Curly-Wurly as a replacement for the Marathon Bar http://www.oldtimecandy.com/walk-the-candy-aisle/curly-wurly-marathon-bar/

• Like 4

I LOVED that, too!  

Miss Mary Mack, Mack, Mack!  All dressed in black, black, black! With silver buttons, buttons, buttons! All down her back, back, back!   :D

"Say, say, o playmate, come out and play with me..." was popular with us as well, along with variations. We had one including hippies, marijuana, needles, and LSD (it was the very early 70s, even in very straitlaced small town NC), and one with monsters that I don't remember as well. Our other favorite playground songs in elementary (not clapping games, though) were "Great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts," "On top of spaghetti, all covered with cheese," and "My eyes have seen the glory of the burning of the school." We had jump rope rhymes like "Cinderella dressed in yellow."

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 14

"Say, say, o playmate, come out and play with me..." was popular with us as well, along with variations. We had one including hippies, marijuana, needles, and LSD (it was the very early 70s, even in very straitlaced small town NC), and one with monsters that I don't remember as well. Our other favorite playground songs in elementary (not clapping games, though) were "Great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts," "On top of spaghetti, all covered with cheese," and "My eyes have seen the glory of the burning of the school." We had jump rope rhymes like "Cinderella dressed in yellow."

"Like" times 1,000!   :)

• Like 2

However: in 5th grade, I wore a white shirt and black pants with a *neon green* skinny tie, neon green belt, neon green socks, and black Mary Janes. I ROCKED it. So there. ;)

In about 4th grade I had my photo taken at the mall (maybe sears?) with a skinny tie on. I was also photographed with my favorite cabbage patch kid. What was my mom thinking???

• Like 1

I remember it as Cee Cee my playmate,... There was also Cee Cee my enemy, come out and fight with me. Slide down my razor blade... That's all I remember.

Since I taught what I could remember to my daughter, my version want like this:

Oh little enemy

Come out and fight with me

And bring your bb gun

And we'll have lots of fun

I'll poke your eyes out and make you bleed to death

And we'll be jolly enemies

Forever more 1234

Oh little enemy

I can't come out and fight

My heiny's black and blue

Boo hoo hoo hoo

Can't poke your eyes out

Can't make you bleed to death

But we'll be jolly enemies

Forever more 1234

Body on Tap shampoo

I ate a lot of Frankenberries and Booberries cereals growing up. It's really a wonder I don't have diabetes. 

I also have memories of Mom putting Sloan's liniment on my leg when it would get sore at night. The lid had a wire wand with a cotton pom-pom at the bottom for swabbing the liniment. 

• Like 2

Body on Tap shampoo

I was trying to remember the name of that shampoo this morning. I could only remember the commercial with the woman saying "but don't drink it"

I was a Breck girl for awhile.

Also Short and Sassy with my Dorothy Hamil hair cut.

Wella Balsam was a favorite

And of course I told 2 friends, and they told 2 friends, and so on and so on about Faberge organics shampoo with wheat germ and honey.

• Like 5

I remember it as Cee Cee my playmate,... There was also Cee Cee my enemy, come out and fight with me. Slide down my razor blade... That's all I remember.

Since I taught what I could remember to my daughter, my version want like this:

Oh little enemy

Come out and fight with me

And bring your bb gun

And we'll have lots of fun

I'll poke your eyes out and make you bleed to death

And we'll be jolly enemies

Forever more 1234

Oh little enemy

I can't come out and fight

My heiny's black and blue

Boo hoo hoo hoo

Can't poke your eyes out

Can't make you bleed to death

But we'll be jolly enemies

Forever more 1234

:eek:

• Like 1

:w00t:  Wow, I forgot about some of those!!! I taught my girls Miss Mary Mack, and then later, when they were older, I taught them Miss Lucy:

Miss Lucy had a steamboat

The steamboat had a bell

Miss Lucy went to heaven

And the steamboat went to...

Hell-o operator

Give me number nine...

That one is BURNED into my memory :lol: 

• Like 13

:w00t: Wow, I forgot about some of those!!! I taught my girls Miss Mary Mack, and then later, when they were older, I taught them Miss Lucy:

Miss Lucy had a steamboat

The steamboat had a bell

Miss Lucy went to heaven

And the steamboat went to...

Hell-o operator

Give me number nine...

That one is BURNED into my memory :lol:

What is a childhood without miss Lucy and that piece of glass? I also taught mine both versions of miss Mary Mack, one with the elephants and one with the boys.

• Like 3

I don't think childhood has ever been as sweet and innocent as nostalgia paints it. Kids can be very bloodthirsty. Read the full text of some of the Grimm's fairy tales or books like Pinnochio. :)

Yes, I remember too clearly my heavy thoughts even as an eight-year-old. Whenever I am dealing with a child, I try to remember that, and take them seriously.

• Like 2

We had one including hippies, marijuana, needles, and LSD (it was the very early 70s, even in very straitlaced small town NC),

Mara Juana

Mara Juana

Ellis Dee

Ellis Dee

All the mothers make it

All the teachers take it

Why can't we

Why can't we

Sung very sweetly and innocently to the tune of Frere Jacques.

Ours didn't have needles, but it still had plenty of shock value and was popular to teach to younger siblings, the younger the better.

ETA:

Oh I wear my pink pajamas in the summer when it's hot

And I wear my flannel nightie in the winter when it's not

And sometimes in the spring and sometimes in the fall

I jump between the sheets with nothing on at all

Glory, glory what a wonderful way to sleep

With nothing on at all

God bless my underwear

My only pair

Stand beside them and guide them

Through the wear and the tear of the wash

From the washer to the dryer to the clothesline

In the air

God bless my underwear

My only pair

God bless my underwear

My only pair

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

People who mentioned candy cigarettes--did they have chocolate cigarettes in the US? That's what we had in France. It wasn't very good chocolate though.

I don't ever remember seeing chocolate cigarettes, just ones made of this hard, chalky white candy and then others made of bubble gum. Both kinds would emit a white, powdery residue if you blew through them--just like real cigarettes!  :lol:

• Like 2

I have fond memories of my aunts phone. I'm sure it was at least pre-war, maybe 30s.  the house was build in the 20s.

ever single part was metal. it was heavy, and it was very hard for me to rotary dial.  (as a child I had to use two fingers)  but, I found one in an old store (more than i was willing to pay), and "it felt good".

and those old 33 rpm record players where you could adjust the speed.

• Like 1

How funny that so many things were nearly universal - the power of advertising!

Hoppy Taws for playing hopscotch

Pogo-Balls (that instantly got lumpy and impossible to use)

Big, giant bookbags that were horrible for your posture

"Birthday lunch" offered once a month at school - we got a hot dog wrapped in a roll, some fruit and veg, and a little square of birthday cake.

We learned the rhyme as:

"Say, say, oh playmate,

Come out and play with me,

And bring your dollies three,

Climb up my apple tree.

Slide down my rainbow, [shout down my rain barrel]

Into my cellar door, [slide down my cellar door]

And we'll be jolly friends

Forevermore, more, shut the door

Eat the ice cream off the floor!"

We didn't have rain barrels or cellar doors in my area, so I guess we improvised.

I had banana clips, bow clips, charm necklaces, jelly shoes, Garbage Pail kids, Lip Smackers, Jovan Musk, and a Vuarnet sweatshirt. Also, spandex shorts and later baggy plaid pajama pants bought from the men's section. Neon sunglasses (lots of neon), hypercolor shirts, Guess jeans, and Keds. I was an 80's cliche, which is kinda funny because I am so far from trendy now.

• Like 2

I have fond memories of my aunts phone. I'm sure it was at least pre-war, maybe 30s.  the house was build in the 20s.

ever single part was metal. it was heavy, and it was very hard for me to rotary dial.  (as a child I had to use two fingers)  but, I found one in an old store (more than i was willing to pay), and "it felt good".

and those old 33 rpm record players where you could adjust the speed.

Five years ago I gave away my Sesame Street vinyl record collection that was TIMELESS. I am still kicking myself!

I also had those Little Golden Books with records. "You can read along with me in your book. You know it's time to turn the page when you hear this sound. [ring]"

I also gave away my Annie lunchbox, but I know it has a good home so I'm cool with that.

Edited by ondreeuh
  • Like 1

I hadn't heard that one. Ours was to the "Say, Say, Oh Playmate" game:

Say, say, oh hippie, come out and play with me,

and bring your LSD,

climb my marijuana tree,

Slide down your needle 

into my [we said "sailor's door" which makes no sense but we didn't have cellar doors locally, so it was no more odd than that]

and we'll be jolly friends,

forever more, more, more, more

It was definitely for shock value.

Mara Juana
Mara Juana
Ellis Dee
Ellis Dee
All the mothers make it
All the teachers take it
Why can't we
Why can't we

Sung very sweetly and innocently to the tune of Frere Jacques.

Ours didn't have needles, but it still had plenty of shock value and was popular to teach to younger siblings, the younger the better.

I also had those Little Golden Books with records. "You can read along with me in your book. You know it's time to turn the page when you hear this sound. [ring]"

I had Disney records when I was a small child. They were basically the audio tracks of the movies themselves. I still get anxious and my heart pounds when I hear the forest fire music in Bambi, and the opening strains of Little April Shower give me chills! And I have strong memories of listening to The Jungle Book in my bedroom in our first apartment. I still love audiobooks :lol: I'd give a lot to have those back!

On the other hand, I used to have a book of poetry as a child that included the poem Little Orphant Annie, which also used to terrify and thrill me as a child. I never did know what happened to it, but out of the complete blue, I came across a copy of the book at a library book sale. I almost cried! Of course I bought it, and I won't be letting it go again :D

Oh, and when I was 8-11 or so, I was obsessed with a book called The Little Broomstick, about a girl in England who accidentally discovers a magical flower, a witch's broom, and a very smart cat. The book was my aunt's, though, and she gave it away at some point. I could never remember the title and couldn't even come up with it after the advent of the Internet. One day, after I had my first daughter, I went to the mailbox and found an envelope with an old library copy of that same book. My aunt had come across a copy at a library book sale (of course!) for 50 cents, bought it, and shipped it to me  :001_wub:  Another one I won't be letting go! Neither of my girls wanted to read it, so I'm saving it for grandchildren  :blush:

So sometimes those old beloved things do drift back into our lives. Keep your eyes open :D

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 5

Preppy was big when I hit college, though I was never in fashion. I received as a high school graduation gift one of those wooden handled purses with the covers that buttoned on, including a cover with my college logo. In looking for a picture, I just learned it was called a bermuda bag. Who knew? http://www.liketotally80s.com/2011/07/bermuda-bag/  You'd see these around campus with girls in long walking shorts with knee socks and monogrammed sweaters in cooler weather, while the guys wore madras plaid patchwork shorts and pastel Lacoste polos with popped colors (often several layered) and boat shoes in warmer weather. My roommate's side of the dorm room looked like the Lacoste alligator threw up pink and green everywhere.

I've been trying to find a photo similar to a particularly hideous skirt one of the preppy fashion leaders of my high school liked to wear, but I can't. We called the style an umbrella skirt. It was alternating skinny vertical panels of pink and lime green prints forming pleats, with, I believe, lime green piping on the vertical seams (maybe it was solid green panels alternating with pink print panels). 

I noticed recently that bodysuits have come back into the stores, which I don't recall seeing since the 70s.

Clackers, anyone?

YES!

Preppy was big when I hit college, though I was never in fashion. I received as a high school graduation gift one of those wooden handled purses with the covers that buttoned on, including a cover with my college logo. In looking for a picture, I just learned it was called a bermuda bag. Who knew? http://www.liketotally80s.com/2011/07/bermuda-bag/  You'd see these around campus with girls in long walking shorts with knee socks and monogrammed sweaters in cooler weather, while the guys wore madras plaid patchwork shorts and pastel Lacoste polos with popped colors (often several layered) and boat shoes in warmer weather. My roommate's side of the dorm room looked like the Lacoste alligator threw up pink and green everywhere.

I've been trying to find a photo similar to a particularly hideous skirt one of the preppy fashion leaders of my high school liked to wear, but I can't. We called the style an umbrella skirt. It was alternating skinny vertical panels of pink and lime green prints forming pleats, with, I believe, lime green piping on the vertical seams (maybe it was solid green panels alternating with pink print panels). 

I noticed recently that bodysuits have come back into the stores, which I don't recall seeing since the 70s.

Oh, I loved preppy style, but it was not the thing at my high school, so I stood out when I tried to wear it. 

I've seen the bodysuits too! They were back in for awhile in the mid to late 90s, I think. I lived in NYC at the time and definitely had a few. It's so weird to be old enough to see these things coming back in. Oldest DD mentioned to me last year that she really liked this acid-washed jacket she'd seen at Target, and I absolutely refused to let her buy it :lol:

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

Does anyone remember the candy called Bonkers? Kind of like a starburst but more intense, with a concentrated flavor in the center. If I could just have one more piece of bonkers candy I would be so happy. I never understood why they stopped making them because they were AWESOME!

Also I had a bathing suit that had suspenders (?) A two piece with straps attached to the bottoms that you wore over the shoulders. Seriously?

And humongous TEAL glasses that covered half my face.

• Like 1