Menu

Christmas gifts for parents/InLaws

theelfqueen

Mother in law is getting a print from The Art of Disney. It is a drawing of Mickey making Mickey pancakes. She loves Disney and always makes the kids Mickey pancakes. I hope she loves it.

Mom is getting a purse she wants plus some other stuff I haven't thought of yet.

Dad is getting art supplies and an Amazon Echo.

• Like 2

In the past, we've gotten them a Roomba, subscription to Netflix, and a subscription to fruit of the month club. Now we give them gift cards to local restaurants.  They don't need anything and are difficult to buy for.  Sometimes we'll give them a framed family picture of us even though they don't seem to like us.  We give them jigsaw puzzles to work on together in the winter, too.

We give them stocking stuffers, too - usually lotions, chapstick, purse-pack tissues, socks/fuzzy socks, Ohio State stuff since my three sons graduated/attend there, soaps, word find books, candy, etc.  

It is always hard to decide, but I think we did pretty good this year.

My mom had her Kindle Fire pretty much die on her, right when they were on sale for Black Friday or Cyber Monday, and I was able to snag her a replacement, and in her favorite color.

My dad and stepmom have absolutely everything, hate clutter, and have well beyond the means to buy themselves anything. But, they love local type things, and appreciate art, and are both avid readers. Well, I happened across a local artist who had written a short story/autobiography and the book is illustrated with over 30 of his paintings -- all local landscapes around Texas, a style and subject matter they both love. I bought the book, had the artist autograph it to them, done. I think it will be appreciated, I hope.

My MIL and FIL we aren't done yet. We wanted to get them tickets to a sporting event, but could not find tickets for a time when we were sure they could go. So far we bought my MIL a season of a TV show she mentioned wanting, and plans to get a 5-gallon bucket for FIL and fill it with things....we just aren't sure what things. We'll work on that soon; we don't exchange gifts with them until NYE so we have a bit of time.

• Like 1

We decided a number of years ago to not exchange presents with my parents.  My parents only bought gifts for grandkids.  Last year I got my parents a surprise present because it seemed like a great thing for them.  It was a kindle fire.  This year mom said that she was planning to get me and siblings a little something, so I bought them a personalized ornament with all the grandkid's names on it.

MIL and FIL just sold their house and are living out of a camper on the road and have requested no gifts but did want us to write down memories to give them.  I am not sure what to do with that.

My mom - Christmas CD of a friends singing ensemble, bottle of blackcurrant port.

Stepdad - book "On Immunity" and some sort of nutty treat from the market

Dad - 2 CDs, Old Man Ludecka and Ben Caplan.

Step-mom - same as mum but sparkling wine.

ILs - my dh will get something for them but I've got the same CD for his mom and a jar of ginger jelly for his dad.

Puzzles

This year I got my DH and my parents a punmap (punmap.com) and a frame for the map. But they're whimsical like that. You'd have to be whimsical to want something like that.

Gift cards to restaurants.

Something cat related for my mom.

Some sort of tool for my FIL, if he doesn't run out and buy it for himself. He does that a lot. Mentions in early Dec he needs something, but then forgets Christmas is coming and gets it for himself. He's often yelled at for that!

I got my parents some suuuuper soft flannel sheets one year and a fluffy blanket.

My mom: LL Bean Stabilicers for her upcoming winter trip to Europe (like mini crampons that slide over boots to help with traction. She's not as stable as she used to be, and isn't accustomed to icy conditions)

My dad: a really nice trunk organizer for his new car

MIL: a locally made bracelet she eyed when she visited last summer

FIL: no idea. Does anyone know of really tacky Oklahoma State football crap a lifelong fan might not yet have?

The parents don't want stuff, so we give gift cards (either restaurants, to do stuff, toward classes, towards hobby supplies), magazine subscriptions (can pass on or recycle when finished reading), shirts from dc's colleges (ok, this is stuff, but wearable).

I have gotten my dad and stepmom new towels for the bathroom and kitchen when I realized they were still using towels older than me and thinner than a sheet of paper. I don't think they use the new ones though.

I have also gotten them new knives and cutting boards, stuff that every several decades could stand to be replaced. My stepmom took offense to the knife (really - she thought I was sending a message through the knife (she doesn't like me)), so I stopped that gift idea. My sister and I went together and got my mom several Cutco knives for a year or two and we would have done the same for our dad and sm, but since she took offense the first time I gave her a knife, we didn't bother.

One idea that I think is a good one is the seasonal Starbucks cup that you buy now and get free refills in January, but I don't think any of our parents drink Starbucks coffee.

When the kids were tiny (toddler/baby) I bought them a display case frame for a 12 x 12 scrapbook page and created one 12 x 12 photo collage for them with pictures from that year and the year on it.  The next year I made one with pictures from that year and bought them an album in which to store the previous year's page.  And so forth and so on.  We are on our 7th or 8th year now and my hope is that the album will eventually serve as a nice way for them to see their grandchildren growing up.

Also, I've made gifts for them before.  I knit, so I've knit everyone hats.  One year I made a cowl for my mother and MIL.  One year I made fingerless gloves for people.  This year I socks.

• Like 1

Mother and Father In Law: cheese/meat basket from Harry & David's

My mom: A christmas cd, a variety of Bath & Body Works products, a couple of boxes of  Keurig coffee and a sweater

My dad: candy, athletic pants and sweatshirts

I generally do a food basket for my in-laws, but I decided to mix things up this year. We moved this summer to an area that my in-laws really like, so I'm sending stuff from here - a book about the history, some food common to the region and a puzzle that shows a big attraction here. They likely won't acknowledge the gift, but I feel good giving...

I'm not totally decided about my parents. over thanksgiving,my mom mentioned two things she would like - a fitbit and a cordless vacuum. I need to see if any of my sister's want to go in with me. Not sure for my dad. May be a caramel apple from a local shop?

Thank you for this thread. I am desperate. We have had some extreme stress in our family in the last few weeks and have done NO Christmas shopping. We have three sets of parents to get gifts for (my mom and stepdad, my dad and stepmom, dh's parents). All three live far away, so we will need to ship gifts. All three have much more money than we do, do not want clutter, and are "picky" in one way or another (for example, clothes are not a possibility.) None of them want food gifts. I don't have time to do anything like a photo album. It's always hard to find gifts but this year I just have no time or energy to figure it out. I would really like to just buy three of the same thing, ideally something I can just have shipped directly to them. 

I generally do a food basket for my in-laws, but I decided to mix things up this year. We moved this summer to an area that my in-laws really like, so I'm sending stuff from here - a book about the history, some food common to the region and a puzzle that shows a big attraction here. They likely won't acknowledge the gift, but I feel good giving...

I'm not totally decided about my parents. over thanksgiving,my mom mentioned two things she would like - a fitbit and a cordless vacuum. I need to see if any of my sister's want to go in with me. Not sure for my dad. May be a caramel apple from a local shop?

I was pretty annoyed 2 years ago when inlaws got 'me' a Dyson DC44 Animal cordless vaccuum as a gift (not a huge fan of cleaning supplies as gifts LOL)

BUT IT IS AWESOME.

The charger is installed on my laundry room wall. We use it all the times for both hard surfaces and carpet and it's GREAT!

• Like 2

Thank you for this thread. I am desperate. We have had some extreme stress in our family in the last few weeks and have done NO Christmas shopping. We have three sets of parents to get gifts for (my mom and stepdad, my dad and stepmom, dh's parents). All three live far away, so we will need to ship gifts. All three have much more money than we do, do not want clutter, and are "picky" in one way or another (for example, clothes are not a possibility.) None of them want food gifts. I don't have time to do anything like a photo album. It's always hard to find gifts but this year I just have no time or energy to figure it out. I would really like to just buy three of the same thing, ideally something I can just have shipped directly to them. 

A live plant? A lovely fresh Christmas wreath (might be a bit late) or a centerpiece for their Christmas table? Wine.com? Could you make a photo gift on snapfish.com (I just sent my FIL a "Wood Panel Photo" from Snapfish because a couple of years ago he told me that the photos I framed for them as a gift were the best gift we could give)... this can be done really quickly.

Thanks everyone!

My mom I always make a Photo Calendar -- in the past I've always stressed about getting my brother's kids pics into it but this year I decided that it wasn't worth the hassle, My niece who I care for twice a week is in there a lot, the others, not so much. Oh well. Also my son lost my camera with a full memory card in May and I am short on photos from the early part of the year other than phone pics... but I made it work.

For Inlaws I went with Whiskey Stones and Wine Pearls (MIL likes Ice in her wine), and a running belt (she walks ~3 miles every day and now takes her small dog that frequently needs to be carried -- I thought it might be good for her phone... she'll probably hate it but I tried to be thoughtful) and the photo gift I sent FIL... plus I have a personalized ornament that I need to ship and a photo frame ornament. I guess that will do it. I will probably send them a plant or flower arrangement

Tickets to a local outing. (One pair is getting symphony tickets; the other is getting comedy tickets.)

The gift includes chauffeur service by me where I will drive them, including drop off/pick up at the front of the venue. And usually dinner while we are out too.

I bought my mom a pair of flannel pjs from Garnet Hill (caught a good sale)

Step dad got a book on fermenting foods and the lid/pump to do it. I need to go find a jar as well. 

I'll hit our Persian market to do a fun snack basket. 

Actually, a few years ago I found jars of nuts and honey at the Persian market, and saw this year Trader's is selling it (not quite as spectacular). It makes a pretty gift!

http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/3321

ETA:

Inlaws, I think a gift card to a posh movie theater that serves food and drinks. So, enough for both. You know, a hot date! :)

Edited by helena

A live plant? A lovely fresh Christmas wreath (might be a bit late) or a centerpiece for their Christmas table? Wine.com? Could you make a photo gift on snapfish.com (I just sent my FIL a "Wood Panel Photo" from Snapfish because a couple of years ago he told me that the photos I framed for them as a gift were the best gift we could give)... this can be done really quickly.

Thanks, theelfqueen. I appreciate the help!

Here's what we ended up doing:

a potted amarylis bulb shipped directly to each house

a donation in their names to Doctors Without Borders

a donation in their names to a charity local to each couple and related to their interest

This weekend we will write them each a nice letter explaining what the charities do, print a few pictures, and mail it off with a card. Dh and I have been wanting for years to scale back on the Christmas gifts, so now we are.

I know some will consider these terrible gifts, but honestly this year I just feel so relieved to have it done (except for the pictures and card, which should be pretty easy).

• Like 2

My grandmother (nearing 90) gets a chocolate bar and a gift certificate to her local supermarket. (DS21 will buy her lottery tickets.)

My father is getting a shirt, wool socks, and a flashlight.

My mother is getting a weaving loom. (She's going to be so excited!)

My father-in-law is getting Celtics tickets (husband and DS7 will go with him).

My mother-in-law is getting a membership to her local art museum, as she just moved there last month.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Noreen Claire