Menu

What's for dinner?

Night Elf

I'm seriously thinking about ordering a pizza because I have no idea what to have for dinner tonight. We had broiled chicken on Saturday and steak last night. I have frozen ground beef. I guess I could make spaghetti but that really doesn't sound appetizing tonight.

What's on your menu tonight?

I roasted a turkey on Saurday and had mashed potatoes with it.  Yesterday I turned the leftover potatoes into Shepherd's pie.  Right now I've get the leftover turkey carcass boiling away.  I'll use some of the meat to make something Mexicanish for supper.  The broth with will be turned into soup on Wed.

Mexican is very loosely defined in our house.  I will have turkey meat mixed with salsa, beyond that, I haven't decide if I will turn it into tacos, taco salad, quesadillas or enchiladas.  But something along that lines will become supper.

Busy kid-activity night here, so just soup and sandwiches. "Soup" is a carton of tomato soup, and we have mini saltines to go on that. "Sandwiches" may turn into make-your-own. Ham and cheese panini for the kids, turkey for dh. Maybe a salad if I have time to make one. And I made oatmeal chocolate chip muffins this morning to fuel kids through the activites, so those are up for grabs too. And there's a good chance we'll be eating in two different shifts.

Not dinner, but I made some awesome nachos for lunch.  I found a can of refried beans at the back of the cabinet, chips in the pantry.  One Roma tomato in the fridge, and a large block of pepper jack that nobody has really liked (because of it's texture...but it melted awesomely).  I had 2 kids and 1 husband begging for my lunch (even though they all poo'd my idea when I was putting it together and they chose other items... :p)

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

Chicken thighs in a Dijon-maple sauce: 

1/4 cup Dijon mustard

1/4 cup maple syrup (I don't use the real stuff, lol)

Garlic

Rosemary or Thyme (I don't measure the garlic or herbs)

Coat the thighs completely in the sauce and bake at 425-450 until done, nicely browned on top. Maybe 35-45 min.  The original recipe says to bake the chicken in all the sauce, but I reserve just a bit and baste halfway through. (I tend to double this, btw, because we're feeding 8.)

People either love or hate this recipe so if you don't like mustard, don't bother.  lol  (The original recipe also called for 2:1 mustard to syrup so I changed it!)

I'm using up some stuff in the fridge for lunch to make fried rice and egg drop soup. We also have leftover hamburgers and hot dogs, a little bit of red beans and rice, two turkey sandwiches, and a large bowl of salad.

Dinner is whatever remains of that, plus whatever else people can scrounge up.

DH has that "influenza-like illness" thing, and my throat is starting to hurt, so I hope there's enough random stuff for the kids to feed themselves if necessary.

Omelettes. A friend with a large flock of hens gave me three dozen eggs. So I will saute red pepper, spinach, leeks, and potatoes with a little ham for the filling and top them with parmesan. Fresh fruit on the side for those that want it.

And now I know where I'm eating tonight...................... I'll bring dessert. And wine if you want.