Menu

Workout clothes as regular clothes

Moxie

Cute to you. As a hoodie might be cute to the person wearing it. Jeans aren't uncomfortable to you. But I imagine they are to people with different bodies, or sensory tolerances. Ain't choices beautiful? Each person can wear what makes them feel good and cute and comfortable.

Yes yes yes.

I ran out of likes already.

• Like 3

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I often have on workout clothes when out because I am coming or going to the Studio. I don't actually have exercise wear that I typically wear just because although I've been thinking about getting some "dressier" thicker leggings strictly for comfort. I don't see workout wear as sloppy though, a lot of times it looks just as put together or more so than the typical jeans and tshirt look I generally see. I never, ever, ever wear jeans around the house unless I'm getting ready to leave or working on something rough outside. While I find jeans comfortable enough for out and about I find them extremely restricting for general household wear. I like to move around in a variety of positions too, sit/squat on the floor and jeans aren't nearly as conducive to that. Moving around more is much more important than meeting some arbitrary standard of dressiness.

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

But your comfort level differs from other people. I would never scrub floors in jeans and a cute top. That seems uncomfortable and completely ridiculous to me. But I'm not going to judge you for doing it because that is your preference. Why do you feel the need to judge other people's outfits? What is the point? How does it effect your life at all?

I agree.  

Around here, everyone wears workout clothes all. the.time. Unless they go to job in an office, which seems to be the minority sort of work around here in the land of telecommunting or start-ups or internet based free lance work. And lululemon is the store of choice. I can sort of see wearing the leggings all the time if you spent $100 dollars for them. Which is usually more than my entire outfit, sometimes even including shoes.

Also, most of these ladies are very, very fit and really do look very impressive in their extremely expensive yoga attire. I wear jeans, t-shirt or nice top, or sweater and a some sort of jacket when its cold. Many people I have met in the last few years have commented that I must work because I "dress up" every day.  :lol:

I would never wear athletic wear along side this group. It would look like a before and after picture.

Yeah that would be hard on the ego.

I wear the workout gear, but I don't work out.  Someday I will have time.    I will be the after picture again some day.  :)

• Like 1

Haven't read all replies...

Yes I have noticed that active wear is literally the new normal for any and every woman doing something besides going to a job that doesn't permit wearing active wear.

It's one of those things, kinda like multi-level marketing, that is so common now that I can't say the rude things I'm thinking because every woman does it.

But unlike MLMs, active wear at all times is not really hurting anyone. It doesn't make sense to me but whatever.

• Like 1

I recently made a couple of decisions to make some appearance related changes.  Things that give certain types of people ideas about who I am inside.  How grown up I am, or responsible, or educated.  And all those things had held me back from doing silly frivolous things to MY OWN BODY.  Things that made me feel beautiful, but draw attention to my appearance, which makes me uncomfortable.  But I sucked it up and did if for myself. Making choices about your body based on what other people may or may not think is absolute bull****.  Wear your stretchy pants, ladies.  Or whatever your poison.  You're amazing.

• Like 7

I don't think it's so awful. I just don't get it.

My thought about it is that if the athleisure thing is about comfy stretchy clothes, there are comfy stretchy clothes out there that are cute and look like real clothes.

Plus much of athleisure is not cheap. I am on a thrift store/ Walmart budget.

• Like 2

Maybe this is why I'm bothered by it? The homeschool moms I spent 10 years of my life with all dressed nice. I don't think I ever saw workout attire at a HS function. But, in the new world I'm hanging out in, all the moms are doing it.

What's not 'dressed nice' about yoga pants?  Clean, comfortable, potentially stylish...  I don't wear them much because I live in the country and they aren't suitable, but I would if I lived in a city.

• Like 7

Warning--judgey post ahead!

My kids go to school and we have to walk them into the building so I see lots of people everyday. There are really two kinds of women-SAHM's in workout clothes and women dressed for work (suits and scrubs, mostly).

It bugs me.

I get that they are comfy. I wear workout clothes when I work out. But, dang, so casual! And so painted on!! Most workout pants don't leave a lot of mystery. Are we going to get to a point where we wear our jammies in public because they are comfy?? Idk why this uber-casualness bugs me but it really does. Is it really so hard to throw on some pants?

Honestly, I does kind of bug me, too. And PJ pants bug me a lot. BUT! Just to show how hypocritical a person can actually be, when I drop off my older DS to school, I am almost always either wearing workout wear because I was walking/jogging while other people were still in bed, or I am in PJ pants and a sweatshirt, on the gamble that my bottom half is unlikely to be seen by anyone while I ride in the car.

However, once I back home, I do dress for the day and that does not include activewear or PJs. Or slippers. Or hair in a messy bun. I like to pretend I'm European.

• Like 3

I honestly don't care what people wear BUT I do care about what I wear. I workout/run regularly. When running outdoors I have to dress for the occasion obviously. Back when I went to the gym to workout I wore workout clothes out of the house and would stop for groceries or whatever in them. After showering I always change into regular clothes because I feel uncomfortable wearing workout clothes for everyday activities.  I don't feel "dressed" in it and I think it looks very sloppy. Live and let live for me but I can't help and think "ugh" when I see people wearing it as everyday wear.  Sorry I don't mean to sound harsh. It is just how it looks to me, but then, I enjoy dressing up.

Edited by MyLittleBears
  • Like 1

I think there is an age thing going on here too. In my formative years (let's say through age 30), jeans and a tee or cute top were the go-to uniform for casual wear for everyone. So, not surprisingly, I almost always wear jeans and a tee or sweater now at age 50. That is not the current norm, however. For people at least 10 years younger than me, athletic wear has been the go-to casual wear, especially yoga pants and sweats which I don't even think of as athletic wear anymore. What seems new in the last couple of years is more wearing of actual athletic clothes for everyday clothes--Nike running capris and sports-bra type tanks. That particular look seems underdressed for most occasions to me, but I attribute that to the standards of the era I grew up in. And it's a look that 20 year olds rock a lot more than 50 year olds.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 5

Hmm, I have 5 kids, run a house, etc., all in jeans and a cute top. I'll throw on an apron if I'm doing something messy. And, I promise, I'm not uncomfortable.

The ironic thing is that jeans were originally work wear, and then became a statement of rebellion and used to be banned in certain public venues and schools because they were not considered suitable attire.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 18

I like to think of anyone who is out and about wearing workout gear as either really hopeful--as in, hoping that their life makes room for some exercise and self-health that day--or way more motivated and on the ball with exercise than I am.  LOL

And if they're wearing it for any other reason (I think it's kind of a status thing in some areas around here because there are some EXPENSIVE, trendy workout clothes!!), I just don't really care.

Gosh, maybe they've lost some weight and are feeling Goooood about themselves!  I've done that in the past.  :)  Maybe I will get to again!!  lol

• Like 4

I think the idea that others should dress in a style that YOU find affordable or comfortable is . . . perhaps I had better not say.  No one looking at me can tell that I need to choose clothing that I can physically get on (because yes, it is an issue for me) and that is comfortable for ME.  The fact that I know that people are out there judging me without knowing anything about me makes me angry and frustrated.  I know that people choose clothing for all sorts of reasons.  Some mirror my reasons and some don't. 

• Like 15

I don't think jeans are dressier than workout pants. That seems like an arbitrary line to me. Jeans are work pants for many laborers.

I used to share your pet peeve about workout clothes in public unless one was working out. Then I realized life was too short.

I'm not defending it because I do it. I am usually in jeans or dresses/skirts when out and about. If I out and about on workout pants there are several possible reasons:

-Either just worked out or went for a run/hike/bike/walk.

-It is laundry day and all my jeans which presently fit and other clothes are in the wash or on the line so to speak

-I am sick or getting over being sick but being a mom means toughing it out if the kids are well. In that instance, I might don the softest yoga pants I have and mostly just wait in the van at classes/lessons/appointments.

And newsflash: some people have been wearing pajama pants in public for at least 20 years.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 7

Maybe this is why I'm bothered by it? The homeschool moms I spent 10 years of my life with all dressed nice. I don't think I ever saw workout attire at a HS function. But, in the new world I'm hanging out in, all the moms are doing it.

When I'm out and about I almost always wear jeans and a nicer tee shirt (LL Bean pima). And if it's cool a sweater. Mostly because, as someone else said, that was what was considered normal in my formative years. I'm guessing a lot of the ladies on here would consider that frumpy, and I don't think it looks any better than nice athleisure wear. And a lot of times the athleisure stuff looks nicer because it doesn't wrinkle or stretch out and get baggy like jeans do.

I don't really pay much attention to what other people wear. If someone is really "off" (really unusually dressed, unkempt, etc.) then I might notice. But for anyone who's anywhere in a very broad range of normal . . . it's highly unlikely I'd notice. I've got too much other stuff rattling around taking up all the real estate in my brain to pay attention to what people I don't even know are wearing.

• Like 3

I am writing this while in the hall of a homeschooling class thing. Moms and dads are wearing jeans, dresses, abayas (there are a number of Muslim families who come here), leggings, sweats, yoga pants and slacks. Jeans are the most common but there's a lot of leggings and athletic wear too. Lots of hoodies, sweaters, layers since it's a PNW October. I'm wearing jeans, a tank top and a big hoodie. The woman sitting across the hall from me is wearing basically the same thing but she has boots instead of trail running shoes and her sweatshirt indicates her alma matter and mine indicates that I bleached a small spot on the front by accident, lol.

When my brother drops off his kids at school he's often in sweats. He's a SAHD and it's an early time. He tends to get up, get breakfast made, pack lunches, check backpacks herd the girls to the car, drop them off, usually going inside to pick up or drop off some volunteer stuff and then he goes for a walk and often gets coffee with SAHM friends, then goes back home and showers and gets dressed in jeans or slacks. Seeing people who aren't office/factory/job bound in the morning is kind of a skewed view of what they dress like most of the time.

ETA- given what I said about one of my brothers on the "what does this mean" thread, I feel compelled to clarify that my brother mentioned above is not the same brother. I have one skeevy bro and one who is a perfectly ordinary family caregiver, lol.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

Warning--judgey post ahead!

My kids go to school and we have to walk them into the building so I see lots of people everyday. There are really two kinds of women-SAHM's in workout clothes and women dressed for work (suits and scrubs, mostly).

It bugs me.

I get that they are comfy. I wear workout clothes when I work out. But, dang, so casual! And so painted on!! Most workout pants don't leave a lot of mystery. Are we going to get to a point where we wear our jammies in public because they are comfy?? Idk why this uber-casualness bugs me but it really does. Is it really so hard to throw on some pants?

Haven't read the other replies, but when my dc were in school, I wore exercise clothes because I dropped them off and went to the Y. I don't have an issue with exercise clothes in public. IMO, that's not the same as pajamas in public. I only really see that when I go to Walmart. Ă°Å¸Ëœ

• Like 1

Also, I started working a couple of hours at our local pharmacy. Required dress? Scrub top with either scrub pants or yoga type pants. No jeans, no sweats. And since I work directly after dropping the kids off at school until directly before picking them up, you will see me at the school in a scrub top and yoga pants!

• Like 1

When ds was in school, it was a miracle if I was dressed when I dropped him off. Telling a non-morning 6-7 year old that they must tuck in their shirt and wear a belt was enough to incite an argument every morning. I was so glad when we started homeschooling and he didn't have a uniform. 

Ackk.  I had a long post typed out and my wrist bumped the touch pad on my laptop.  Grrr.  Anyway, I don't really care about people wearing athletic wear as casual clothes.  As long as something isn't so tight that it looks painful or that it is obvious what kind of underwear one is wearing (if any), I really don't care.  Ok, I do care if it smells bad :).  I do find that I squeeze in more athletic pursuits if I am dressed for it.  I clean more, take more steps, actually make it to the gym, etc.  Part of that has to do with actually wearing athletic shoes, though.  But my usual uniform is a pair of jeans and a decent top. 

Regarding scrubs, I think you have much more to worry about with a man's tie than you do with scrubs.  At least scrubs get washed.  Can't say the same for ties.  I've seen several articles about this recently, mostly assuring the public that this really isn't an issue. Scrubs have become more like regular clothes.  Healthcare workers don't consider scrubs to be personal protection equipment.  They don other gear over their clothes when they are dealing with bodily fluids  And that gear gets discarded between patients.  And, as others have mentioned, all kinds of people wear scrubs these days, many having almost nothing to do with direct patient care.

Oops! I had no idea that workout clothes are offensive to some people until I read this thread. I live in the Silicon Valley where it is not out of the ordinary to see people go to their daily jobs in workout pants and hoodies - the ones that I know who do this are highly educated and work in high-tech jobs earning respectable salaries and making good impressions on their coworkers and bosses all the time. Dress code is casual and no one bothers as long as parts of the body that are supposed to be covered are kept covered in public - these people are also allowed to bring their dogs, cats, lizards etc to work - seeing a lizard or fish in someone's cubicle is more weird than the clothes they wear to me.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 9

I got this morning and put on my workout clothes like normal and then realized it was too late to start my workout before I had to take DD to art school.  I figured it was a waste of time to change so I threw on a hoodie and headed out the door.  Then the boys and I decided to do our grocery shopping this morning.  I didn't get to my workout until right before lunch time,and I don't get dressed for the day until after my workout and shower.  I would hope no one was judging me.  I was actually feeling pretty good about myself since the workout pants were ones that I bought month ago and were way too small and now they finally fit nicely.

• Like 4

The ironic thing is that jeans were originally work wear, and then became a statement of rebellion and used to be banned in certain public venues and schools because they were not considered suitable attire.

True!

And just a few decades ago a woman wearing even dressy pants out and about, nevermind something so unclassy as jeans, would have been looked askance at.

• Like 4

I wear flowing black pajama bottoms. The comfiest thing ever and no one knows that they are sold in the pajama section of Target.

Well, Jean, you are truly beautiful, so that works for you. Others may have some serious compensating to do, hence the obsession with the exterior.

Ă°Å¸ËœËœ

• Like 6

I used to wear jeans, but then I found Athleta high-waisted, straight leg yoga pants with pockets in the rear and pockets in the front. Pockets help with the overall look that some of us prefer to avoid. And since I hike every day now I prefer to wear it as soon as I head out the door knowing that I have to run errands afterwards. And when I'm waiting around for DD to finish her outside activities, I walk around in order to get some extra exercise. Much easier to walk in yoga pants than in jeans. There are some beautiful yoga pants I've seen on women, especially the ones with mesh on the sides.

I'm honestly more upset that someone is wearing scrubs out in public. Ew.  Either they are taking germs from work out into the public world or they are taking school germs to work with them. Neither of those sound look a great choice.

:thumbup1: This was going to be my response. You saved me typing it.  

Sorry, but I have a very active lifestyle and I sweat a lot. Workout clothes are just what works for me. If I changed my clothes every time I went somewhere I would have to change several times a day and I just don't have time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FIL actually does this.

Sleeps in one pair of pants. Upon waking he immediately changes into his lounging pants.  After coffee he changes into his going walking pants.  Back home, and then it's some kind of work pants for puttering around the yard.  Oops, another walk- this time to the hardware store, have to change the pants into something presentable.  Back home he changes into pants suitable for dinner and lounging around in front of the TV.  Sometimes there is a change into lounging pants between dinner and TV time.  Pajama pants right before bed.  

No joke.  And all of these pants (except the pajamas) have belt loops, and thus require a belt.  And a lot of these pants look just like the ones worn earlier, but most assuredly, there is something different about them. 

Don't get me started about all the appropriate footwear required to go with those pants.  He's seriously horrified when he comes to visit and I'm running around barefoot and wearing a ratty old T-shirt and pair of jeans.

Edited by Lady Marmalade
  • Like 4

Around here, everyone wears workout clothes all. the.time. Unless they go to job in an office, which seems to be the minority sort of work around here in the land of telecommunting or start-ups or internet based free lance work. And lululemon is the store of choice. I can sort of see wearing the leggings all the time if you spent $100 dollars for them. Which is usually more than my entire outfit, sometimes even including shoes.

Also, most of these ladies are very, very fit and really do look very impressive in their extremely expensive yoga attire. I wear jeans, t-shirt or nice top, or sweater and a some sort of jacket when its cold. Many people I have met in the last few years have commented that I must work because I "dress up" every day. :lol:

I would never wear athletic wear along side this group. It would look like a before and after picture.

My hometown is the epicenter of organics and fitness (I believe we are in the same metro area). Athletic and Athleisure are acceptable nearly everywhere, and definitely predominate in preschool circles and sports mom circles. I like to dress up a bit more, but like LucyStoner, if I'm sick or something, you will find me in yoga pants.

I don't really notice what other people are wearing, unless it's something I admire or it's indicative of a need for help.

Where are these long shirts everyone talks about? Everyone here wears their yoga pants and leggings with shirts that stop at the waist. Sorry, but that is more butt than I want to see

Where are these long shirts everyone talks about? Everyone here wears their yoga pants and leggings with shirts that stop at the waist. Sorry, but that is more butt than I want to see

I buy long tank tops from Costco and wear t-shirts over them. They cover two-thirds of my butt, but my butt is very attractive so I don't think you would mind looking at it.
  • Like 19

It's a clothed bottom.  A bottom in jeans is a clothed bottom.  A bottom on the beach is a clothed bottom.  I don't tend to notice them much one way or the other.  I like to look at people's faces, mostly.

• Like 13

I remember my mother speaking disparagingly of people who would go into drop off their kids at school (usually late) wearing a housecoat, slippers, and with curlers in their hair when I was a child. :). People can wear what they want, but I personally feel uncomfortable in wearing yoga pants in public if I don't have a long shirt to cover my bottom. I don't let my kids go out in leggings with no shirt over their bottoms either (unless they are very young). I also basically live in yoga pants at home, so when I actually get to leave the house to go somewhere, I like to put on real clothes. That might change if I had to get kids somewhere every day, or if I actually worked out at a gym.

• Like 1

Umm then don't look at their butts.

Um, yeah, the thing is...  it isn't just butts.  Sincere question, because I honestly have no clue.  Do women not realize how much is being revealed in the FRONT, or do they just not mind it?  I wear tunic-length tanks if I'm wearing tight workout bottoms, because while I realize cultural taboos against revealing the contours of your backside have disappeared, I still feel that there are some contours in the front that no one but my husband needs to see!

• Like 3