Menu

Laundry detergent questions

Jean in Newcastle

Do you use liquid or powdered laundry detergent?  I was using Arm and Hammer free and clear powdered detergent.  But I can't find it anywhere around here any more.  (I even went to Arm & Hammer's website and put in my zipcode).  All they have is liquid detergent.  I tried the liquid but no one in my family really likes the liquid.  It has to be detergent with no dyes or perfumes but do you have any suggestions of alternatives?  Or do you know where I can order the Free and Clear powdered detergent? 

I don't know.  I was at Walmart the other day and noticed they have more powder selections than any other place I go to.  I was surprised because a lot of places might have one or two options in powder and that's it.  I know you can order even laundry soap from them on-line.  Or if you have a Walmart nearby. 

I like the powder myself, but it got harder and harder to find so I just use liquid.  And usually Arm and Hammer, but in whatever type it doesn't really matter to me. 

When we used powder, it was seventh generation. Now I use liquid. I have an absolute need for free and clear and have found the Arm and Hammer free and clear liquid with oxyclean to be a very good choice. I also sometimes use the seventh generation liquid but only the plant power plus one. I am very picky about detergent.

I have found that ALL free and clear leaves a residue and doesn't get my clothes clean.

There's a group on FB called Laundry Love and Science. Those ladies know their stuff. I would ask there if I absolutely needed a powder.

• Like 1

I need the Free and Clear too.  But, a long time ago I found that liquid rinses out more completely/easily.   I used to use Tide Free and Clear.   Now I make my own laundry soap.   I start with the recipe on the ICanTeachMyChild.com, then I add some extra Borax because of nasty water.  You can use that as powder.   But, I put a heaping iced teaspoon of it in 2 cups of water in an iced tea container.  Heat in microwave and stir.  Heating and stirring puts it in solution.  I add water to bring it to the top of the container, and then let cool.  Works great, and cheap, and perfume/dye free.  

• Like 1

I like the packaging (or lack thereof), but it's rather expensive.

is it? My previous brand was Method & I think it was costing me more.  Method is expensive in Canada. 

I guess the thing is that the $ of the stuff in most stores is irrelevant to me because I won't buy it because almost all test on animals. Gruesome horrible tests on bunnies, cats and dogs, so they were never in the running for me. 

• Like 3

is it? My previous brand was Method & I think it was costing me more.  Method is expensive in Canada. 

I guess the thing is that the $ of the stuff in most stores is irrelevant to me because I won't buy it because almost all test on animals. Gruesome horrible tests on bunnies, cats and dogs, so they were never in the running for me. 

Ah.  Well I bought a bottle of my usual stuff (Arm and Hammer) yesterday.  170 loads for $12.  That'll last me more than 6 months. 

Ah.  Well I bought a bottle of my usual stuff (Arm and Hammer) yesterday.  170 loads for $12.  That'll last me more than 6 months. 

They test on animals :( 

Wow, I must do a lot more laundry. I do 3+ a day. We go through the 64 load packs every 3 weeks. 

And it strikes me.... at the low rate of laundry you do, the diff in costs over a year is not so big for your so maybe you could afford to spend more to not torture animals  :P 

I use the Arm & Hammer free and clear liquid and I've never seen the powdered form. It's the only free and clear formula my highly sensitive daughter can tolerate.

Sometimes I add a bit of powdered washing soda with the liquid for a really dirty load.

I'm curious as to why you don't like the liquid?

I'd totally forgotten about the Sears laundry soap!  My sil told me about it early in my marriage. I remember liking it but not much else. I hadn't really done a lot of laundry at that point. :)

Does it fade your clothes at all? I'm trying to find something that is cheaper than Tide but doesn't fade the colors and that also smells good.

I'd totally forgotten about the Sears laundry soap! My sil told me about it early in my marriage. I remember liking it but not much else. I hadn't really done a lot of laundry at that point. :)

Does it fade your clothes at all? I'm trying to find something that is cheaper than Tide but doesn't fade the colors and that also smells good.

Not that I can tell, I don't really think it has much of a scent, but everything comes out clean.

• Like 1

I hate that, and yet I'm so frustrated by cruelty free brands. In my hard water, they don't get the laundry clean. I've tried Method, Ecos (useless), and a bunch of others. Stinky, not clean laundry. 

• Like 3

I use the arm and hammer free and clear liquid. I wash with cold water most of the time and I find the powder doesn't dissolve. I do hate buying the liquid because I know it is mostly water.

I did purchase the dizolve strips for ds to take to college. They arrived today. Looking forward to trying it.

• Like 1

I use powdered Tide because I like that it comes packaged in cardboard rather than plastic. I can still find it in large sizes at a local chain called Smart & Final.

Target's detergent aisle usually has a few powdered brands as well.

Do you use liquid or powdered laundry detergent?  I was using Arm and Hammer free and clear powdered detergent.  But I can't find it anywhere around here any more.  (I even went to Arm & Hammer's website and put in my zipcode).  All they have is liquid detergent.  I tried the liquid but no one in my family really likes the liquid.  It has to be detergent with no dyes or perfumes but do you have any suggestions of alternatives?  Or do you know where I can order the Free and Clear powdered detergent? 

I've used Amway stuff for almost 40 years. I've used both the liquid and the powder and have no preference. :-) It's the only stuff that does not cause Mr. Ellie to break out in a rash.

Thanks, I'm going to look into trying it out (again!).

I'm also curious as to why so many of you don't like powder detergent? Is there something I'm missing?

IME powder perfume free HE detergent is hard to find. 

I use it for washing goretex or similar material rain jackets.  The liquid detergent does something to the breathable membranes (coats them?) so they don't work properly.

Thanks, I'm going to look into trying it out (again!).

I'm also curious as to why so many of you don't like powder detergent? Is there something I'm missing?

I noticed that the liquid rinsed out better than the powder.   As in much better.  As in I've wondered how anyone uses powder.  

But, then I wash on cold, and until recently in hard water and I am very sensitive to soap residue.  Maybe if someone doesn't have at least of those things true for them, then maybe powder works fine.  

If you have a top-loader, you might try an experiment.  Do a perfectly normal load.  Then don't remove the clothes and start another wash cycle without adding any more soap.  Leave the lid open, which will keep the water from draining.  When you hear it stop agitating, go look inside.   You might be shocked at the suds you find.  

When I had a top-loader, my routine laundry procedure included leaving the lid up during the first wash, and then removing the fur which floated to the top before it could be redeposited on my clothes, then when the first full cycle was done, to run the clothes through another complete cycle without soap.   When I used cold/powder the suds on the second go-through were much more than the suds for cold/liquid.  

Niether. 

I use these strips now: Dizolve http://mydizolve.com/

I love them! Easy to use, don't take up space, environmental, do a great job of cleaning - even on dd's gross and skunky and bird poo etc wildlife rehab scrubs. 

Are they really good cleaners compared to other eco detergents?  I also have the animal testing problem but most of the stuff from Whole Foods that I've tried just does not clean the laundry very well.  Some of it smells good, but we do cloth diapers now and I need something that really *cleans* (also I have lots of messy kids).

Do I need to add an abrasive to it, do you think?  Or does it just work like magic or something?  It looks kind of unlikely to work.

I use powdered Tide because I like that it comes packaged in cardboard rather than plastic. I can still find it in large sizes at a local chain called Smart & Final.

Target's detergent aisle usually has a few powdered brands as well.

My local Costco sells it in big boxes. It $6 off this month too :D

• Like 1

Are they really good cleaners compared to other eco detergents? I also have the animal testing problem but most of the stuff from Whole Foods that I've tried just does not clean the laundry very well. Some of it smells good, but we do cloth diapers now and I need something that really *cleans* (also I have lots of messy kids).

Do I need to add an abrasive to it, do you think? Or does it just work like magic or something? It looks kind of unlikely to work.

I don't have kids in diapers but I have a sort of incontinent dog ... I've been satisfied with the Dizolve. I think it's better than 7th generation and def better than dr bonner.

I'll try it, then.  I am at the point of trying something new every time I buy laundry detergent anyway, as I'm perpetually unsatisfied.  7th generation was the best of them and it still didn't really do a great job.

Mostly I just wash the diapers a million times each load on hot.

I bought Tide a couple of months ago, having gotten so desperate that I completely forgot why I'd stopped buying mainstream laundry detergents.  It did a magnificent job for a few loads before I remembered why I'd quit it in the first place and felt awful.  Still, I think in terms of pure selfishness, I'd go back to Tide before I went back to bacon cheeseburgers.  (not that I will ever go back to either, sigh)

I use Charlie's and get it through Amazon's subscription program. I used to split one of their big containers with friends, but the one coordinating it moved, and I just buy my own now in a smaller container. 

It's still pretty cheap and works with our well water and allergies. When we flew west on vacation, I packed snack zip-locks with it to wash because we didn't want to check luggage.

I'll try it, then.  I am at the point of trying something new every time I buy laundry detergent anyway, as I'm perpetually unsatisfied.  7th generation was the best of them and it still didn't really do a great job.

Mostly I just wash the diapers a million times each load on hot.

I bought Tide a couple of months ago, having gotten so desperate that I completely forgot why I'd stopped buying mainstream laundry detergents.  It did a magnificent job for a few loads before I remembered why I'd quit it in the first place and felt awful.  Still, I think in terms of pure selfishness, I'd go back to Tide before I went back to bacon cheeseburgers.  (not that I will ever go back to either, sigh)

Yup, I totally get that.

Fwiw, I think what we're 'missing' in the green detergents is the optical brighteners.  I like the effect but what I read is that they don't actually clean any better, it's purely cosmetic. It just looks cleaner though honestly, often the point of washing stuff is to make it look cleaner.  And they leave a residue on the fabric which may or may not be safe.  I don't think any  eco company is putting optical brighteners in. 

You can add your own enzymes to the laundry using the pet solutions Nature's Miracle in the presoak. 

You can also add your own optical brightener - most of the laundry boosts are just that. But I have yet to find one that comes from definitely a cruelty free co which sucks :( 

Yup, I totally get that.

Fwiw, I think what we're 'missing' in the green detergents is the optical brighteners.  I like the effect but what I read is that they don't actually clean any better, it's purely cosmetic. It just looks cleaner though honestly, often the point of washing stuff is to make it look cleaner.  And they leave a residue on the fabric which may or may not be safe.  I don't think any  eco company is putting optical brighteners in. 

You can add your own enzymes to the laundry using the pet solutions Nature's Miracle in the presoak. 

You can also add your own optical brightener - most of the laundry boosts are just that. But I have yet to find one that comes from definitely a cruelty free co which sucks :( 

It's not just the look, although I agree part of it is dingy whites. But also the smell..they don't smell as clean. The one that seemed to work best was the Kirkland environmentally friendly one, but they don't seem to make it anymore :(

I still have a big bottle of Ecos Plus, with enzymes, that is totally useless in my water. I don't even know what to do with it...dumping it down the drain seems bad, not sure how to dispose of it. 

SaveSave