Menu

Best vehicle with 5 growing kids

anmom

Title says it all. We have a Quest now that needs replaced. I'd love more space but don't know if the increased price tag is worth it. Thoughts? I've got it narrowed down to about 8 different things to look at LOL. Kids are 10,9,8,6,5 if it matters. No car seats!

Edited by anmom

My kids are different ages but we went from a mini-van seating 7 to a passenger van seating 12. The big deciding factor for us was the fact that the two oldest are taller than me. It was getting very cramped in the 3rd row with the 7, 10, & 13 yo girls. Plus, they were constantly fighting because there was no room. Now we have them all spread out in the big van. Now we can take one vehicle when the grandparents visit. 

• Like 1

My Honda Odyssey (2007) is awesome.  I had to go without it for six weeks because it got smashed in an ice storm (it was parked, and no one was hurt, but it took forever for the body shop to fix it).  Anyway, I had no idea how much I liked it until I got back in it after all that time.  It seats 8, with the center seat in the middle, but that seat isn't comfy and it makes it difficult to get into the very back.  With it out, though, it seats 7 comfortably.  Mine has almost 190,000 miles on it, and it's still going strong with no major problems (just regular maintenance and normal wear).  It's a well made machine.

I love my 2014 Grand Caravan.  Seriously.

We have 2 car seats (captain's chairs,) a nearly adult sized dd and a smaller dd (back row sides,) and my 6'3" teenager fits comfortably in the middle of the back row (which gives him extra leg room.)  They'll probably shift around as kids grow out of the car seats, but they don't actually NEED to.

Love, love, love it.

I loved my Toyota Sienna all wheel drive! Mini van. LOVED.

We outgrew it & now have a 12 passenger Nissan NV that also rocks but doesn't have all the perks of a mini van. Nor AWD. But, it's being adapted for my sons wheelchair with a lift soon, so we needed it.

The new Ford Transit big vans are very nice, much like my NV, but a bit nicer,

I think.

Our Siena has been great (8 passenger). I would not want a longer, larger car. Much too difficult to maneuver in crowded parking lots for me. Also, as the kids get older, they are not always together in the van. We are generally only all together in the car (all 7 of us) once or twice a year.

• Like 1

We love our 8 passenger Odyssey. We don't use the jump seat often, but when we've needed to configure it to bring along a friend, it has worked well.  We love it for hauling stuff, and it feels cramped only when we are doing cross-country trips (luggage, food, etc.)

I'd also look at bigger vans and taking out the back bench to haul groceries, sports stuff, luggage.

We filled our minivan to capacity, especially since we still have one in a high back booster and two in full car seats. It was comfortable enough but tight, and I'm looking at having four tall teenage boys at some point. Four boys like my DH -- a minivan would be so cramped for them. Plus, even for a four day weekend, it was packed so tightly. DH really pushed for a twelve seater, and after trying it out, I decided I really liked it too. I'm very happy with it. Plenty of room for everyone to spread out if they want, and we can put friends or grandparents in it easily. Plus it has tons of cargo room.

• Like 1

I wouldn't do anything smaller than a larger minivan. when testing things out, put the biggest kids in the tightest spots - because eventually, all the kids will be bigger and need to fit those tight spots.

By larger, which do you mean?

Would anyone feel silly driving a 12 passenger with 5 kids? Is that excessive? Is all that cargo space worth driving such a large vehicle?

I've got in my list anywhere from a sienna to a Nissan nv to a Chevy passenger van 😂

We've had a Suburban (LOVED it) and a Ford Expedition (LOVED it) but they were both huge gas guzzlers. Which isn't a problem so much now, but if you're keeping the car for a while, gas prices will go back up. 

We have all really liked my current Toyota Sienna b/c:

• there's a middle jump seat that's super easy to put in or out and makes room for 8. 
  • the seats are all adjustable and have been very roomy for my tall, long-legged boys. They said they have more leg room in this van than they did in our Ford Expedition. 
  • Toyota just makes a great reliable car
  • it turns on a dime and rides more like a car than a truck. Easier to park and back up. Can't pull a boat but we don't do that. 
  • Has luggage racks on top for any extra carrying like kayaks or cartop carrier. 

NV passenger. We've done the mini van (loved it but you've almost outgrown it). We currently drive a ford excursion (fits everyone and handles great in the winter), but the NV has headrests for every seat, which is a must. I'm a bit more of a car seat spaz, though. My kids are 9, 8, 6, 4, 2, and 9 mod and only the 9 and 8yo are not in a harness. And they still sit in boosters.

• Like 1

I almost posted this exact same question today! I have 5 ages 9,8,6,2 and 1. We currently have a Chrysler dodge town and country. When we go out of town we have a luggage rack and soft top. It is ok for now. I can see us needing a 12 passenger van soon...if we can afford it.

I think we did it right.  We upgraded to a Suburban when the kids were still growing, and new was $25,000 less.  Three of them are now approaching six foot and it still works.  I love that I still have storage space for shopping and travel.  I refuse to go back to a minivan (no storage and piling things under kids feet for travel), but might consider one for something for the kids to drive.

Edited by melmichigan

Love our 2005 8 passenger Sienna minivan.

The newer 8 passenger ones aren't nearly the same, though. They downsized the middle-middle seat.  :thumbdown:  

When DH's dad visits, it fits us all. We're down to one in a booster seat, but it fit four car seats just fine. However, there were only about two ways I could put the seats due to personality conflicts between children.  :001_cool:

Dunno what we'd do if we had to get rid of it. :001_tt1:  We love it.

If we had more kids, I'd have to upsize to a bigger house and a bigger vehicle. So, hopefully, we're done.

I don't know of anything else like it on the market today, though.

Would anyone feel silly driving a 12 passenger with 5 kids? Is that excessive? Is all that cargo space worth driving such a large vehicle?

I think it really depends.  You want to buy a vehicle for the way that you use it the most.  My oldest is 6'9" and he gets squeezed into the backseat of my Rav4 on a regular basis.  I don't care.  It won't kill him.  I grew up sitting "on the hump" (sometimes the hump had a change tray instead of a seat!).  I survived, he will, too.  I wasn't willing to spend the extra money just to make the kids more comfortable.  A bigger vehicle means, more gas, more insurance, more parking farther from the door so that you can find a pull-through spot.

But, we only go out a couple of times per week.  If I were going out with the kids daily, I might want them to have more room.  We actually have an Expedition, but I only take that out when I need it, because hello 13mpg.

I wouldn't drive a 12 passenger van with 5 kids.  That just seems nutty to me (and for sure I wouldn't drive one just because the kids argue, that's a behavior problem that is not allowed). But it's your money.  Does it fit your budget?  I mean, really and truly, not just squeezed in around the margins?  Have you checked out the maint/repair costs?  Have you test driven to see that you won't hate it?  There are benefits to a big van like that (you can use it to pick up: furniture, lumber, water heaters, beds), you can take the kids and others.

By larger, which do you mean?

I've got in my list anywhere from a sienna to a Nissan nv to a Chevy passenger van 😂

We do it, and often we aren't using the last row, as the big two kids often like to sit with the baby. It IS a little silly, but since the cargo room is really helpful when we travel, it's worth it. I don't drive a lot, though, and I base my gas budget on $4 gallon, so I have plenty of wiggle room for when gas does go back up. It has been really lovely to bless friends by being able to take them as needed, or to offer to pick up the subs for our group's fundraiser because I have the room. Since DH really wanted the bigger vehicle for the times we do need it, I look at it as something I have that I can offer freely when helpful. (It has also taken the place of a pickup truck several times, for picking up shelves from a friend or for loading drywall and such for home remodeling, because the seats come out easily.). I had a Ford Expedition for a while, and it could seat eight, but one, its gas mileage was about the same as the twelve passenger's is, and when the third row seat was in use, its cargo space was very limited. No way could I put a week's worth of groceries for seven people in the Expedition, and definitely not a long weekend's worth of clothes and all.

I was really unsure about driving such a big beast regularly, because it IS a little overkill for most days, but I love it way more than I ever expected. It's really nice in lousy weather to be able to have everyone jump in so you can close the doors, even while everyone's still getting into their seats (although the minivan did that pretty well too). Mine is a Ford E350 because that's what was in my price range, but man, there are some other really nice ones out there.

• Like 1

Also, price tag-wise, a slightly older model of the full size van was the same, or better than, a newer minivan. We expect that we will get about 150K-200K more miles out of whatever vehicle we have, and that would have meant a newer minivan. So you might look at it from that angle as well, but for just the price of the vehicle, the full size van actually was a pretty decent deal.

I think it's wise to picture what kind of vehicle you enjoy driving regularly. I much prefer a mini-van, which is more like driving a car, to a full-sized van or large SUV, which is like driving a truck. I'm frequently driving and parking on smaller city streets, parking in crowded lots, and putting on lots of miles. We only do a long-distance vacation once a year where we might need more luggage space, but haven't actually. The older the dc get, the less stuff they have. Babies, strollers, porta-cribs and the like need more space. 

So for me, I love our 8-seater Toyota Sienna. We have room for extra passangers, can haul our pop-up trailer and utility trailer, and fits pretty much anything we use on a regular basis (kids, dogs, crates, multiple hockey bags). And it's better on gas than something larger, which is good in Canada where gas isn't cheap.

• Like 2

Title says it all. We have a Quest now that needs replaced. I'd love more space but don't know if the increased price tag is worth it. Thoughts? I've got it narrowed down to about 8 different things to look at LOL. Kids are 10,9,8,6,5 if it matters. No car seats!

I haven't read all the responses so maybe this was addressed but I'm really surprised at those ages you have no car seats.  Here kids are required by law to be in car seats or boosters until 8 or 80 pounds.  My kids are big for their ages but none of them have hit 80 pounds before 8.

Anyways, we have a Honda Odyssey.  I adore it.  I love all the different seat configurations we can make with it and putting seats up or down for storage is very easy.  The gas mileage has been consistently better than expected as well.

• Like 3

I haven't read all the responses so maybe this was addressed but I'm really surprised at those ages you have no car seats. Here kids are required by law to be in car seats or boosters until 8 or 80 pounds. My kids are big for their ages but none of them have hit 80 pounds before 8.

Anyways, we have a Honda Odyssey. I adore it. I love all the different seat configurations we can make with it and putting seats up or down for storage is very easy. The gas mileage has been consistently better than expected as well.

Not that I feel like I have to explain myself, but we are in boosters, not large car seats, which I think makes a difference in seating configuration.

• Like 1

Not that I feel like I have to explain myself, but we are in boosters, not large car seats, which I think makes a difference in seating configuration.

It can sometimes make it harder. Not as bulky as the huge seat for my baby, but the baby's seat and the preschooler's seat, since they have their own harnesses, can go in spots that only have a lap belt or LATCH loops. My first grader's high back booster has to have a spot with a shoulder belt, and also, he has to be able to reach between his seat and whatever is next to it to buckle his shoulder belt. You definitely need five shoulder belts. So do check all vehicles to make sure they have those in the central spots too. (I didn't particularly care because when I bought my big van, I knew we still had 4-5 years of at least one harnessed kid, and anyway, aside from the driver row, there are six shoulder belts in the rear three rows anyway, so plenty of space even once they're out of harnesses.)

• Like 1

I love my suburban.  It's a 2004, and saw me through our 4 kids' childhoods.  Plenty of space.  Plenty of storage. Plenty of room for friends. The middle seats are still roomy. Roof Rack. Towing. Room for big musical instruments AND football pads. As the kids went from little kids to big kids, there was still plenty of space. Comfortable to drive. Not great to park, but I drove it in Hawaii and now we have it in DC and I've gotten pretty good at parking - I have even parallel parked downtown a few times, though I prefer to park in big parking lots with a few empty spaces next to me...

Next year we will just have 2 kids at home, so it's probably time for me to downsize, but i just love that big beast of a car. I think I can get one more year out of it... I really love it. Great in the snow.  Great for vacations.  That thing can really hold stuff - great for picking up, say, a dresser from craigslist!  Or even lumber from Lowes... 

I'm a little jealous that you are just heading into the awesome, fun, driving kids as they grow up years!! - ours were 12 years old down to 2 years old when we got it, and now our oldest is getting married this summer!  You are going to spend a lot of time in your car - make sure you love it!!

• Like 4

We have both a Toyota Highlander and a Dodge Grand Caravan.    I only have two children- one who is my height, and the other who is taller than me and showing no sign of stopping.

We are sort of comfortable driving as a family of four in our Highlander.  (The actual seats are not comfortable, but there is leg and head room.)  There is no way a third person would fit on the bench seat that my kids sit on directly behind the driver.  So at most, it would seat 4 children comfortably for a while, but you would also not have any cargo space if you use that back bench.  The way back bench would only be comfortable for two at most- and they must be smaller.  It's claustrophobic back there.

The Grand Caravan fits us much better- more space and comfortable for all.  But, I still wouldn't put more than four children in the back.   There are two bucket seats in the middle, and a back bench seat.  I can't see how three would sit on that back bench and not be fighting all the time.

• Like 1

It can sometimes make it harder. Not as bulky as the huge seat for my baby, but the baby's seat and the preschooler's seat, since they have their own harnesses, can go in spots that only have a lap belt or LATCH loops. My first grader's high back booster has to have a spot with a shoulder belt, and also, he has to be able to reach between his seat and whatever is next to it to buckle his shoulder belt. You definitely need five shoulder belts. So do check all vehicles to make sure they have those in the central spots too. (I didn't particularly care because when I bought my big van, I knew we still had 4-5 years of at least one harnessed kid, and anyway, aside from the driver row, there are six shoulder belts in the rear three rows anyway, so plenty of space even once they're out of harnesses.)

Sorry if my posted sounded critical that wasn't my intent.  But while booster seats are often easier than the big car seats they aren't without consideration and I took your post to mean you had none of them.  In addition to what happypamama said above another consideration with booster seats is the top teather hooks (the hook on the floor behind the seat where you secure the top portion of the booster seat to, I think I have the correct term for them).  The more I read about them, the more I realize how important they are to help stabilize booster seats.  In most of the vehicles we've had, there is only a couple of these hooks total so it has been important to consider their placement with where I put a child in booster seats.

I haven't read all the responses so maybe this was addressed but I'm really surprised at those ages you have no car seats. Here kids are required by law to be in car seats or boosters until 8 or 80 pounds. My kids are big for their ages but none of them have hit 80 pounds before 8.

Anyways, we have a Honda Odyssey. I adore it. I love all the different seat configurations we can make with it and putting seats up or down for storage is very easy. The gas mileage has been consistently better than expected as well.

Post #26! My money was on this particular digression occurring around post 10 or 12.

• Like 3

Post #26! My money was on this particular digression occurring around post 10 or 12.

I guess my train of thought when I said no car seats was no monster Britax seats which they all had when they were younger. So, if it makes anyone feel any better in order to comment on what car you enjoy or would get to accommodate such a large group, please note that I do follow the law and the recommendations on car seats, have always been a stickler when it comes to making sure they are followed, and I have no desire to put my kids in any danger.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Now...if we can proceed.... :driving:  :driving:  :driving:

I guess my train of thought when I said no car seats was no monster Britax seats which they all had when they were younger. So, if it makes anyone feel any better in order to comment on what car you enjoy or would get to accommodate such a large group, please note that I do follow the law and the recommendations on car seats, have always been a stickler when it comes to making sure they are followed, and I have no desire to put my kids in any danger.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Now...if we can proceed.... :driving:  :driving:  :driving:

My DB and SIL just purchased a used GMC Yukon Denali for their brood of 5.  They follow the carseat recommendations and beyond, so four of their five are all in full out seats yet- one is a rear-facing 16 month old.

They LOVE the new car.  There is a spot for each child, with proper shoulder harnesses and latch positions.  They also got the XL edition, which means it has an extended back end, which is necessary for toting all the STUFF that goes with those kids.   They are looking forward to their first extended car trip in April so they can really test it out, but so far it's a big winner for them.  Their kids ages are 11, 8, 6, 4, 16mos.  Only the 11 year old is out of a booster. 8 year old is a tiny thing and will probably be in a car seat until she gets her license.  ;)

• Like 1

Well, we drove the Nissan NV today and really liked it. It's a little big for us but we could travel without two cars and have plenty of space and it's cheaper than the Yukon xl and suburban. We shall see....

What type of weather do you drive in? Will you need 4 wheel drive regularly? Do you need a higher tow capacity? What is gas mileage of each?

I love our suburban but it is a 1999 and is larger and seats 8 easily and tows our horse trailer well. Gas mileage stinks. It is also a pain to get in and out of the 3rd row seats so I would practice that with the kids....with the car seats installed to see if it would work easily or not for you.

We rarely have bad enough weather for a 4 wd and when it is I don't get out. And we don't have anything to tow now but the NV does have towing capabilities. Gas mileage is not great but I think that will be the normal if we upgrade from a mini.