Menu

Leggins on teenage boys?

Merry

My husbands just started wearing long underwear out in the open (only covered by shorts) for his commute to work on his bicycle this week. There was some joking together about his "tights" but of course we are on very friendly terms. He wore skin tight body suits in high school for his ski races.

As a parent I would want to protect my son from ahem potentially embarrassing situations as previously mentioned and discuss some of the pitfalls involved. I doubt most people care what color the shoes are but outlined hard ons umm.. No.

It does make my life easier that my boys prefer Carhartts. No worries of outlining the details in work overalls. I would probably have to really think about how to respond if it was going to be a battle. I would want to protect my son just as much as I would want to protect my daughter.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in high school it was popular for girls to wear long thermal underwear with men's boxers. LOL And I mean real men's boxers. Saggy butt, opening in the front.

Oh goodness, I had forgotten my entire freshman year was spent in men's boxers, no long johns, though I did wear underwear. I went to an all girls college so obviously was not trying to impress members of the opposite sex! It was quite the thing in the 80s, at least at my school.

This guy isn't too hard to look at:

meggings17n-6-web.jpg

He looks like his legs are too small for his body to me.

But I was once really traumatized by a photo of Russell Brand in skinny jeans.  I think only super-skinny men can carry off that look, and then they become totally devoid of sexual interest for me, no matter how cool they are.

• Like 2

So, I posed this question about guys in leggings in public to one of my 16 year old sons (I have 2 of them...). He looks at me and says, "Oh man. They are gonna revoke his man card."

It just isn't something people do around here. So, yeah, the reality is *some* guys are gonna think they don't look very masculine.

• Like 2

I care about the whole issue of leggins on boys so little, that a 10 year old boy in leggins could come into the pool change room when I'm in the nude, carrying a glass which he plans on putting down on a counter instead of the dishwasher, and it wouldn't even register in my Top One Million of Things to Care About. 

I haven't laughed so hard in at least a few days.  Thank you.

• Like 2

Leggings cover, everything, yes. Often they outline everything, and I do mean everything, too. I don't think it's trying to enforce a modesty culture to have a general agreement that people don't want to see the outline of a guy's member, and its accompanying dangly bits, or the slit of a girl's front-butt.

YMMV.

I don't even know what these words mean together.  I know what they mean individually, but as a phrase, they sound like word salad.  There is a big oxymoron there at the end that makes no sense and slit? what?

• Like 2

Although what makes them girls' clothing exactly?

The rise and crotch areas of leggings and underwear are different for men and women. Imagine your husband in women's panties. The athletic leggings for men have a gusset and support pouch type thing happening that women's leggings don't.

The gold pants you posted aren't what I pictured as leggings. I'm thinking cotton Lycra blend, thin, unstructured garment. Those are fancy pants! How does one sit in those without squishing everything to oblivion? Men in tight pants like that always makes me think of that episode of Friends with Ross and the leather pants where he can't get them back up after going to the bathroom. :rofl:

• Like 5

I don't even know what these words mean together.  I know what they mean individually, but as a phrase, they sound like word salad.  There is a big oxymoron there at the end that makes no sense and slit? what?

Sounds like you're as out of the loop with current slang as I am. I recently saw a picture of some Kardashian girl and it said her camel toe was on display and I looked at the picture so confused because the pic didn't show her feet at all.   Yeah. A camel toe is not something on a foot.  It's the same as the word salad you mentioned.  :mellow:

Have a look at the photos here. The clothes look pretty unisex to me. Men wore tights, makeup, wigs, yet we still managed to figure it out and survive as a species.   ;)

82LesPetitesMains_Luxe_Robe_1620-30.jpg

That is interesting, isn't it?  I was at a museum the other day, and there was a lovely old black and white photo of a little 8 or so year old girl with long curls and a lacy white dress.  Except then I looked at the sign and saw that it was a boy, in the early 1800's.  It was just how the wealthy young boys would dress for special occasions.  My own father has a photo of himself when he was about 3 or 4, and he had long blonde curls and a white dress as well.  That would have been around 1930.  It's interesting how fashion changes and that there have been periods of unisex dress for young children in the past.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 2

I don't really care. I didn't know this was a thing.

I know it's wrong, but I wear leggings as pants. It's cold, I'm forever crawling on the floor with my kids, I don't own or wear pants, and I don't care.

Not only did I wear the boxers-as-shorts, we handled the saggy butt problem by rolling the waist. I paired mine with tank tops, no bra and no panties. So pretty much I was wearing underwear in public. Nice. But it was the nineties, and that was a thing. My parents did say something, but I was in college, technically an adult, and I dressed myself. All the girls were doing it. I even travelled internationally with only one or two dresses as real clothes. I would my mother would have helped me pack a little more actual clothing.

How is it wrong, just because some old and/or stuffy people don't like it?

As far as I'm concerned leggings are good and proper attire for whomever wishes to wear them and honestly as long as you cover your genitals I do not even care if you are wearing pants or not.

I don't wear a bra.

I'm right not to and anyone else who thinks differently is most welcome to settle it in a math test or a fistfight, but you won't win the argument with,

"But what will people THINK?!?!?" As if I cared.

Seriously, some people have absolutely nothing to do other than deal with controlling other people's bodies and those are the last people who are going to tell me right from wrong. How about doing something worthwhile with all that energy.

And I LIKE flowy skirts, flannel and combat boots. On boys and girls. And Mohawks.

Why not? I mean really, do they transmit a virus?

• Like 6

I wear leggings as pants as often as I can.  At home, I wear them with shirts that don't go below the waist.  In public, I wear them with tunics or longer shirts - not because - RULES - but because I have a large derriere and personally don't want it emphasized to the world.  Which it would be.  

• Like 3

My son was *required* to pack a speedo type swimsuit for his semester in France--apparently they consider the voluminous fabric males wear here a hazard (and I see their point, I guess). I suspect half the participants in this thread would faint owing to the shock of elementary school swim practice.

• Like 3

So....

My 17 year old DS and 15 year old DD say, "First, leggings are for girls, and second, girls should not even wear leggings in public unless under a skirt/dress."

My 21 year old DS dresses very metrosexual (he’s never worn skinny jeans or leggings, though). I always was upfront with him about how he might be perceived. He was comfortable in his skin and in his clothes. He went to college, made lots of friends, and in the second half of the semester, his friends told him that, at first, they thought he was "gay" because of the way he dresses. Although DS has a flair for fashion and loves extravagant styles (he’s even worn a beret), he now tends to save his fashion for special occasions and for going places where his style can be appreciated (like when he goes to New York or other urban areas). Edited to add: DS now also wears a Mohawk.

I say allow your son to wear the leggings in public (as long as they aren’t indecent) and let HIM decide if he wants to continue wearing them in public. But, you should warn him about how he might be perceived.

Edited by ValRN
  • Like 1

I've never heard of or seen males wearing leggings, in any setting. 

Could be regional differences.   Could also be what is in one's mind at the word "legging."

Here, currently and for a number of years past, "legging" like coverings at least in winter are common on people, more often men than women, who commute by bike and I don't think it would even raise an eyebrow in many churches if a man came in wearing that. I also see this to a lesser degree on joggers and so on. And I know it to be a "fad" as well due to having checked that because of another thread about clothing choices a while back.

It also seems slightly  retro to the 18th and earlier centuries when some men as best I can tell from old paintings and historic recreations, wore tight rather form hugging breeches or close fitting hose, yeah verily, even hose on men (possibly with codpieces)  that to me seem rather similar to modern thick, opaque leggings, and often with shirts and coats designed to not give extra coverage to the genital area..

eta: However, it could also be that a look that in one context would say, jogger, or  commuter by bike, or just kid being comfortable, or kid being audacious, could perhaps in another --I'm not saying it would, but it might-- suggest something else... like perhaps that someone might be a male prostitute hanging out at the mall waiting for a pick up. That is why if it were my son, I'd check the exact place and situation, and consider the exact leggings in question and the rest of the outfit.

Going back to OPs original questions, based on the situation where I am, which is not to say it would be same where OP is, I'd be much more hesitant about letting a boy wear leggings (assuming that was the "pants" part of outfit) to a mall than to a park, and especially if he were alone, less hesitant if he were with  a group of friends. 

The looks shown in the NYTimes article someone posted with shorts would not even get a second glance, with skirts covering up top would get noticed, but not be a big deal around here, kind of just a "not my cup o tea, but whatever floats your boat" to "hey Dude that's cool". 

Edited by Pen

My fourteen year old son first started out wearing skinny jeans last spring. Then a friend of his, a girl, bought him a pair of leggings for him without my knowledge. He wants to wear them in public but I have forbidden him to do so. But he does wear them around the house along with a pair of high topped boots.

Are the teenage boys now wearing leggings to school and other places? Is that a new fashion fad? For sure, the conservative homeschool and church groups would freak out if they were to see him in the leggings.

If this is really a legitimate fashion choice, then I might let him wear the leggings to the mall and the park if he really wants to. What do you think?

Not a trend around here.

My fourteen year old son first started out wearing skinny jeans last spring. Then a friend of his, a girl, bought him a pair of leggings for him without my knowledge. He wants to wear them in public but I have forbidden him to do so. But he does wear them around the house along with a pair of high topped boots.

Are the teenage boys now wearing leggings to school and other places? Is that a new fashion fad? For sure, the conservative homeschool and church groups would freak out if they were to see him in the leggings.

If this is really a legitimate fashion choice, then I might let him wear the leggings to the mall and the park if he really wants to. What do you think?

Not a trend around here.

Yeah, I think if fashion choices are the biggest thing you have to worry about with your teen, you've done everything right. :)

I also think it's interesting that the vast majority of posters say they would never allow leggings to be worn by their kids, yet almost all the kids (especially girls, yes, but boys too) around here wear them. It's just totally normal and everyday wear, like jeans. Regional differences, I guess.

I see plenty of it. I am not even part of some modesty culture...but leggings without a top that covers the rear just looks icky. Unless you are 3.

• Like 1

I care about the whole issue of leggins on boys so little, that a 10 year old boy in leggins could come into the pool change room when I'm in the nude, carrying a glass which he plans on putting down on a counter instead of the dishwasher, and it wouldn't even register in my Top One Million of Things to Care About. 

:hurray: :001_wub: :001_tt1:   Perfect.

• Like 3

I see plenty of it. I am not even part of some modesty culture...but leggings without a top that covers the rear just looks icky. Unless you are 3.

My 12 year old dd just walked by in her leggings and a cami that doesn't cover her butt.

I can absolutely assure you that she doesn't look icky.

• Like 11

I wear leggings as pants as often as I can. At home, I wear them with shirts that don't go below the waist. In public, I wear them with tunics or longer shirts - not because - RULES - but because I have a large derriere and personally don't want it emphasized to the world. Which it would be.

Ditto
  • Like 1

You people are reminding me of breeches.

This riding breech is kind of skin tight.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/mens-devon-aire-cool-cotton-riding-breeches/p/X1-3512/

I wear riding breeches everywhere, and yeah, they're pretty much a high quality legging. I even wear them without a long shirt, skirt or dress, because that would be inconvenient and unsafe while riding. No way am I changing clothes to go to the grocery store on the way home, and anyway, the breeches cover just as much as my jeans do. Everyone at my barn also wears breeches, regardless of gender. It's not an issue.

• Like 1

My son was *required* to pack a speedo type swimsuit for his semester in France--apparently they consider the voluminous fabric males wear here a hazard (and I see their point, I guess). I suspect half the participants in this thread would faint owing to the shock of elementary school swim practice.

I don't think anyone has said that. Swim attire is expected at swim practice, and swim suits are opaque. Would he wear the Speedos, alone, to school or the store? I would tell my DS or DDs to put on pants.

• Like 2

My target still has different clothing areas but the signs are gone. In the men's section just last week dh could not find a solid color T-shirt that was a manly color. They were lighter colors or that 'heather' faded color. Nothing red or blue. Faint blue, pink, faded pale green. Same colors were in the girls section.

And I do not shop for clothes often. We are pretty minimal in clothing as we are trying to simplify. But target, kohls, Macy's, jcpenney, Nordstrom are my local stores and all have more feminine clothing in the boys/men's sections. My old navy still seems to have separate colors and styles but they fall apart so quick. We are buying more and more online at REI and other outdoor places.

I don't take issue with people being different. Wear what you want. But why is the fashion world going to one gender clothes???

Edited by tess in the burbs
  • Like 1

I don't like leggings and, thankfully, neither of my dds wish to follow that fashion trend. They own none and don't understand the appeal either. I would let them buy and wear them but they have zero desire even though many here do.

I would let my son, if I had one, wear them if he wanted though. The idea they might get teased just isn't something I worry about. Kids can be teased and picked on for anything and there is no way to avoid it all. I actually don't want to be a parent who advised my dc to try to avoid it. I want them to be themselves. So far, they've done well with that.

• Like 2

On the subject of store clothing. I would absolutely love it if they got rid of separate sections for men and women. My dds, and myself, have often found what we wanted in the mens department. I loathe women's workout clothes these days and shop in the mens. Often, my dds have found shirts they loved that were in the boys/mens section. One dd has often had trouble doing so since they were labeled mens. 

• Like 3

On the subject of store clothing. I would absolutely love it if they got rid of separate sections for men and women. My dds, and myself, have often found what we wanted in the mens department. I loathe women's workout clothes these days and shop in the mens. Often, my dds have found shirts they loved that were in the boys/mens section. One dd has often had trouble doing so since they were labeled mens.

My 4 year old cannot have anything to do with girl stuff. She asks me if something is a "boy color" or "girl color" so she can avoid the girl stuff. It was too upsetting for her to wear dresses so we stopped (it breaks my heart but whatever). It would help me SO MUCH if things were not categorized by gender.
  • Like 1

My target still has different clothing areas but the signs are gone. In the men's section just last week dh could not find a solid color T-shirt that was a manly color. They were lighter colors or that 'heather' faded color. Nothing red or blue. Faint blue, pink, faded pale green. Same colors were in the girls section.

And I do not shop for clothes often. We are pretty minimal in clothing as we are trying to simplify. But target, kohls, Macy's, jcpenney, Nordstrom are my local stores and all have more feminine clothing in the boys/men's sections. My old navy still seems to have separate colors and styles but they fall apart so quick. We are buying more and more online at REI and other outdoor places.

I don't take issue with people being different. Wear what you want. But why is the fashion world going to one gender clothes???

Your sample seems a bit skewed.  Our Target has the same choices as always in the men's sections, although with spring selections coming out there are more lighter options in the fall.  I see no change in Kohl's.

What is feminine about these shirts?

http://www.kohls.com/catalog/mens-tops-and-tees-tops-clothing.jsp?CN=4294723349+4294719646+4294719805+4294719810&cc=mens-LN3.0-S-shirtstees

• Like 1

Well, these are actual leggings for girls that my son is wearing.  Not meggings or jeggings.

That sounds more like an underhanded prank than a thing a friend would do. What the..??

I don't care if people wear them for sports or such, but just randomly it sounds odd. I think I'd rather my son wear a kilt than that. All I can think is how revealing leggings can be when worn as pants. I used to wear leggings as a little girl, but now only under a dress or around the house.

Can I just say that my dh rocks his light purple dress shirt? He gets tons of compliments when he wears it to the office as well. I don't get the whole manly colors thing.

Gingham pink and gingham purple, with navy suit? Need I say more? ;) (jcrew/banana republic, i know you'll want to know) :)
  • Like 2

I said more and more the sections are changing. My son used to be able to get everything from kohls. Easily find 8-10 shirts for a season. Now he may get 1-2 b/c of the options and he has commented on the colors/styles looking like something his sister would wear. I know kohls can vary in offerings from region to region.

I said more and more the sections are changing. My son used to be able to get everything from kohls. Easily find 8-10 shirts for a season. Now he may get 1-2 b/c of the options and he has commented on the colors/styles looking like something his sister would wear. I know kohls can vary in offerings from region to region.

They don't vary that much. 

Regardless, it is clear from the online selections that "gender neutral" is not the fashion norm.

• Like 1

This guy isn't too hard to look at:

meggings17n-6-web.jpg

I dress kind of like that when I'm doing the laundry and only the last 3 random things are clean.

My son has never worn leggings, or expressed an interest in wearing leggings, but he has definitely worn some things that make me scratch my head.  But in my experience, he has a much better sense than I do of what the norms are for teenage boys, and whether or not he himself is the person who can pull off leggings.  I can't really imagine sitting my kid down and explaining to him that sometimes teenage boys tease people who make the wrong fashion choices.  He undoubtedly knows that, and has a better understanding than I do of the specific teen culture in our area, and his place within in it, and the consequences that will come to him if he makes this choice.  

• Like 3

My Dh is partial to budgie smugglers himself.

They are worn for swimming - where everyone seems to not mind wearing clothes skimpier than underwear and not  down the street or hanging out with friends.

Edited by Melissa in Australia

My Dh is partial to budgie smugglers himself.

They are worn for swimming - where everyone seems to not mind wearing clothes skimpier than underwear and not down the street or hanging out with friends.

DS prefers them too. He says they are much more comfortable than those gigantic floaty tents that many boys wear as swim trunks. They can't fall off in a wave and there's no threat of misplaced sand. ;)

Also, he competes in triathlons, so they kind of necessary. Though he would choose them regardless.

And yes, he's worn them to and from swimming or competitions, quite in public. Again, I'd never thought to care (and still don't).

Eta: I might be wrong about that, depending on what the term means. If it means long speedos, then it's all good. If it's something else, then please disregard.

Edited by MEmama

Can I just say that my dh rocks his light purple dress shirt? He gets tons of compliments when he wears it to the office as well. I don't get the whole manly colors thing.

Moreover, it's not a new thing. Men have been wearing pastel colors particularly in the spring, for as long as I can remember. I vividly remember my Dad having pastel dress shirts for work when I was a little girl. My husband shops for lighter colored dress shirts every spring as well....some are even lavender, etc. He always has. This isn't some feminization thing. Plus, what on earth makes light blue more feminine than dark blue?

Women's clothes do the same...in the winter before the holidays dark/vivid jewel colors are more common and in the spring (the stuff on shelves right now) pastels are more common. Nothing to do with feminine or masculine, it's just fashion. 

• Like 10