Menu

Leggins on teenage boys?

Merry

My opinion is that leggings do not equal pants. I think of leggings as thick tights.  So when worn (yes I wear them) then the top worn with them need to come down far enough to cover crotch and behind.  

That's what I would tell my ds if he wore leggings. However, if he didn't want to follow that fashion rule on purpose then that's his choice. I would just wear a button that says, "I did not dress him."   :lol:

• Like 7

When I was in high school it was popular for girls to wear long thermal underwear with men's boxers.  LOL  And I mean real men's boxers.  Saggy butt, opening in the front.

Oh dear God, I remember that.  My parents would only allow me to sport that look around the house if no one was coming over.

The only legging type pants I have seen on boys around here are compression pants worn under huge basketball shorts.  On the basketball court only.

I'm surprised by how many people say they wouldn't let a kid out in leggings as outerwear ever. I guess I feel like you have to pick your battles and I can't imagine picking this one. Leggings cover everything. But, also, I don't believe in enforcing some sort of modesty culture, so there's that...

The leggings I disallow as standalone outerwear are basically tights and therefore underwear, not outerwear. I wouldn't let my kids walk around in actual tights with nothing covering his or her underpants. I wouldn't let them walk around in just underpants either. I'm not a modesty culture person or religious at all, but cover thy underpants is a family commandment. 

I'm not talking about athletic (or "athletes" like myself rocking the yoga pants when I'm merely stretching to pick up dirty socks and toddlers) bottoms that are opaque and meant to be worn without another layer. I would tell my daughters to put some clothes on if they tried to wear a leotard or swimsuit to the movies, but I wouldn't care if they wore yoga pants. 

• Like 2

I'm surprised by how many people say they wouldn't let a kid out in leggings as outerwear ever. I guess I feel like you have to pick your battles and I can't imagine picking this one. Leggings cover everything. But, also, I don't believe in enforcing some sort of modesty culture, so there's that...

So they say.  I see plenty of people with leggings.  I wore leggings as a teen.  I don't see anything wrong with them.

• Like 5

When I was in high school it was popular for girls to wear long thermal underwear with men's boxers. LOL And I mean real men's boxers. Saggy butt, opening in the front.

I owned a skirt that combined those 2. It was thermal, and the stitching design had the crotch of tighty whitey underwear in front. I was classy.

• Like 8

I don't really care. I didn't know this was a thing.

I know it's wrong, but I wear leggings as pants. It's cold, I'm forever crawling on the floor with my kids, I don't own or wear pants, and I don't care. 

Not only did I wear the boxers-as-shorts, we handled the saggy butt problem by rolling the waist. I paired mine with tank tops, no bra and no panties. So pretty much I was wearing underwear in public. Nice. But it was the nineties, and that was a thing. My parents did say something, but I was in college, technically an adult, and I dressed myself. All the girls were doing it. I even travelled internationally with only one or two dresses as real clothes. I would my mother would have helped me pack a little more actual clothing. 

• Like 4

I figure that by the time the kid is in their teens, nobody blames me for their clothes. If the fashion is ripped jeans or pants above the ankle, nobody tsks and assumes I can't buy new clothes. If the kid wants to dress in some super outre style, that's on them.

So I'd say that as long as the clothing fits minimal standards of decency, is clean, and is weather appropriate, life is waaaaay too short for me to spend time arguing with my kids over clothes.

Mind, if the clothing reeks and will give my child frostbite because it's really exposing most of their privates, then I'll put my foot down.

I reserve the right to breach this rule for unusual circumstances such as going to a funeral, going to a wedding, or feeling that orange stripes and purple plaid is a combination that should never exist.

• Like 11

Leggings cover everything. But, also, I don't believe in enforcing some sort of modesty culture, so there's that...

Leggings cover, everything, yes. Often they outline everything, and I do mean everything, too. I don't think it's trying to enforce a modesty culture to have a general agreement that people don't want to see the outline of a guy's member, and its accompanying dangly bits, or the slit of a girl's front-butt.

YMMV.

Edited by TaraTheLiberator
  • Like 9

I would have a hard time letting my son go around wearing leggings with nothing over them. I can't even imagine that, really. Gives me a bit of a chuckle to think of it. But, I wouldn't want my dd wearing leggings without a long top, either. I am having trouble getting used to the new fad of wearing just leggings. People seem overexposed to me when they do that, like they forgot to put on some of their clothes. I'm okay when they are worn with a long top. That seems normal to me.

Now, would I forbid it? I don't know and I hope I never find out. Lol! I'm not really the forbidding type, but man, I cannot imagine showing up in public or even to my parents house with my kids dressed like that. I might have to just drop them off without me.

Sometimes I wonder if I"m the only one who remembers spandex.  With Wigwams and high tops.  And I don't remember anyone talking about shirt length!

Right? This is nothing new. Leggings and a big t shirt were standard wear for girls for many years. 

I don't know if I feel differently for boys. I guess I just think, whatever.

• Like 3

Well, these are actual leggings for girls that my son is wearing.  Not meggings or jeggings.

No. Just no. I would not allow him out of the house in those. Leggings are for wearing under skirts, not as pants. Leggings are NOT pants. Not on anyone. I would especially not allow him out of the house in girls' clothing.

• Like 1

Leggings cover, everything, yes. Often they outline everything, and I do mean everything, too. I don't think it's trying to enforce a modesty culture to have a general agreement that people don't want to see the outline of a guy's member, and its accompanying dangly bits, or the slit of a girl's front-butt.

YMMV.

That is what I was going to say but stopped myself.  So I'm glad you said it.

Appropriateness of dress and/or modesty are not just about not showing skin.  At the pool once, I saw a girl wearing a skintight neck-to-ankle swimsuit for modesty. (I assume modesty because of the dress of the female adult accompanying her.)  But the outline of her body was just as obvious as that of the girls wearing tank suits.  I assume that fit her family's/culture's modesty standards but it really was no different from the girls in typical swimsuits except in the amount of skin showing.  

• Like 2

YMMV.

Yes, this!

YMMV.

He could always add a codpiece.

ETA: camel toe is always a faux pas, along with whatever you call the male version.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 8

Wearing clothes that are weirdly tight is a separate faux pas from leggings, which, in and of themselves are usually fine. I mean, sure, sometimes they're sheer or worn in a weird way that makes me groan, but I could say that about T-shirts or jeans or skirts or other things.

I have zero issue with my boys going out in "girls' clothing" so there's also that. If they want to dress in clothes deemed "girl clothes" that's up to them. When they were little they both did. Now, other that ds's leggings, which is really mostly about dance for him, they don't. But if they decided to don dresses again, whatever. One of my ds had a little purple shirt with a sparkly heart and cap sleeves that he wore to death in kindergarten. He wouldn't be caught dead in it now, but all things come back around. If he changed his mind, that'd be okay.

• Like 7

We have seen lots more interesting dressing styles in SF :lol: My in-laws saw a guy in a flouncy white bridal gown running up and down the street in downtown SF for fun when they visited.

Here leggings on runners and bikers are more common than on someone strolling down the street or mall. On teen boys, saggy pants showing underwear is more common than leggings.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

When I was in high school it was popular for girls to wear long thermal underwear with men's boxers. LOL And I mean real men's boxers. Saggy butt, opening in the front.

I'd forgotten all about that! I used to wish I could be like the cool kids who did that. My parents would have never let me and I wasn't cool enough to pull it off anyway.

I thought those girls looked soooo good.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

We have seen lots more interesting dressing styles in SF :lol: My in-laws saw a guy in a flouncy white bridal gown running up and down the street in downtown SF for fun when they visited.

Here leggings on runners and bikers are more common than on someone strolling down the street or mall. On teen boys, saggy pants showing underwear is more common than leggings.

Yeah, that's where I grew up. Maybe that's why I don't get fussed about it.

(Not to mention I'd have no right--my goodness I took eighties punk-hippie fashion to heart! Lol)

• Like 1

I'd hate to hear what some folks might think of the bright purple and pink **womens!** running shoes my son bought yesterday. Lol

I guess I'm just amused that anyone cares about these things at all.

Nope, not unless they are see through and somehow show his bits.

• Like 1

We have Baton Bob in Atlanta. He has a wedding gown too some days. I wouldn't let my 14 year old of either sex wear a giant wedding ball gown to school. The attire for adult street performance artists is in a whole 'nother category. :)

We have Baton Bob in Atlanta. He has a wedding gown too some days. I wouldn't let my 14 year old of either sex wear a giant wedding ball gown to school. The attire for adult street performance artists is in a whole 'nother category. :)

It has been years since I have seen him.  Last time he was wearing a really nice butterfly ensemble.

• Like 1

ok why would a girl want her boyfriend to wear women's leggings?  I can't get past that. 

I personally don't like the one gender clothing revolution currently happening in our stores. I can't find a real blue shirt for my son.  It's a heather blue and looks girly.  I don't care if someone wants to be transgender, but why is this tiny % of the population causing stores to ditch boy/girl sections and produce only clothing that is feminine?  

I let my kids pick their own clothes.  But I would have to draw the line at a boy wearing women's leggings b/c his girlfriend wants him to.  If he wanted to on his own I might explain how the world is going to react and let him decide. But I still go back to what was the girlfriend thinking???

• Like 3

This board constantly surprises me, felt the same

With the tattoo thread. I guess it follows the historic (?) demographic of homeschoolers as relatively conservative religious folks? Don't know, I join you in bafflement.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 8

Eh.... I wouldn't care. Air Force kid would not be likely to run around in leggings in public, but he does have compression tights as part of his flight suit (and he rocks them!) and we had a hilarious discussion at Christmas about the proper way to get tights on without messing them up.

DS20 doesn't care about his clothes At.All. So would be unlikely to put the effort into wearing leggings. He has worn tights on stage as part of costumes, so it wouldn't be impossible if leggings were super comfortable and as easy to put on as his old pair of jeans.

And I personally rocked the tights and long sweater with low boots look yesterday at a work meeting. I looked good!

• Like 1

Although what makes them girls' clothing exactly?

The OP specifically stated that they were women's leggings. I didn't know that meggings were a thing but I would like to assume that meggings would have a bit more, ahem, support in all of the right places if you catch my drift. ;)

And by the way, the OP also asked what we would do if it was our own child. I am telling you what I would do with MY boys. Though I can't picture any of the three wanting to wear leggings unless MDS wore them with shorts I suppose...I could see him doing that. I would, however, insist he buy them in the men's/boy's department and wear shorts over them to cover his boy bits. I am in the "leggings/meggings are not pants" camp. ;)

• Like 3

ok why would a girl want her boyfriend to wear women's leggings?  I can't get past that. 

I personally don't like the one gender clothing revolution currently happening in our stores. I can't find a real blue shirt for my son.  It's a heather blue and looks girly.  I don't care if someone wants to be transgender, but why is this tiny % of the population causing stores to ditch boy/girl sections and produce only clothing that is feminine?  

I let my kids pick their own clothes.  But I would have to draw the line at a boy wearing women's leggings b/c his girlfriend wants him to.  If he wanted to on his own I might explain how the world is going to react and let him decide. But I still go back to what was the girlfriend thinking???

Maybe he has cute buns?

And to the rest, really so not true at all.  Which store has done this? 

• Like 6

ok why would a girl want her boyfriend to wear women's leggings? I can't get past that.

I personally don't like the one gender clothing revolution currently happening in our stores. I can't find a real blue shirt for my son. It's a heather blue and looks girly. I don't care if someone wants to be transgender, but why is this tiny % of the population causing stores to ditch boy/girl sections and produce only clothing that is feminine?

I let my kids pick their own clothes. But I would have to draw the line at a boy wearing women's leggings b/c his girlfriend wants him to. If he wanted to on his own I might explain how the world is going to react and let him decide. But I still go back to what was the girlfriend thinking???

Huh. In high school I dated a boy who wore skirts. Trust me, he was all boy and very cool. I had very nice things to think. ;)

• Like 8

I think I'm going to prescribe, for all the naysayers who think boys shouldn't wear...ah...revealing clothing: get thee to a cycling race. :). Leggings, bike shorts and kilts abound (yep, men in kilts racing bikes...really, you should want to go).

You're welcome.

;)

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 9

You must shop in a very small sample of stores.

• Like 6

I dated a guy who wore makeup. Yes very much all boy.

It was amusing though that his first name was the same as my sister's.

We had all the fun in the 80s, didn't we? My poor kid just shakes his head when I make him watch early videos, but really...we all looked so dang good! :)

• Like 8

I think I'm going to prescribe, for all the naysayers who think boys shouldn't wear...ah...revealing clothing: get thee to a cycling race. :). Leggings, bike shorts and kilts about (yep, men in kilts racing bikes...really, you should want to go).

You're welcome.

;)

Maybe I'll buy my husband a pair.

:lol:

I will need to look in the men's section though.  Or these non gendered sections that I have yet to find, but apparently exist so many places now.  Because he is too big to fit into women's clothing.

• Like 3

This is funny to me because I was just talking to someone about dressing my super skinny kid and remembered that he used to wear legging so nicely as a small child. He's 9 now. I was thinking that maybe he would like to try them again. I do think he would like them and they would look good on his boney little self. 

• Like 6

This is funny to me because I was just talking to someone about dressing my super skinny kid and remembered that he used to wear legging so nicely as a small child. He's 9 now. I was thinking that maybe he would like to try them again. I do think he would like them and they would look good on his boney little self.

Oh yeah, it's the skinny dudes that can really rock the look. :)

• Like 5

For hanging out at home, casual situations, at the mall, with friends, etc? Sure, kid, knock yourself out-just remember, no one wants to see your private parts, so cover 'em, Ok?

For more formal occasions, no.

I live in leggings and dresses/tunics all winter. I can't blame a guy for choosing such attire-it's comfortable and easy to wear for informal occasions.

• Like 2

Someone told me that Target has done this because in the news Target announced they will end gender labeling of toy aisles. Just another example of people being ridiculous.

What, like they are just going to mash together the skater dude t shirts and the sparkly tutus in one jumbled mass? Ours hasn't done that yet, but it sure would make for interesting eavesdropping in the Gender Neutral Children's aisle. :)

• Like 2

What, like they are just going to mash together the skater dude t shirts and the sparkly tutus in one jumbled mass? Ours hasn't done that yet, but it sure would make for interesting eavesdropping in the Gender Neutral Children's aisle. :)

They haven't done that here either. Someone told me they did though.  They insisted.  No what it was was an exaggeration of the facts.  I don't have a problem with them not having a "girl's building sets" aisle.  How about you?

They still have the girl section which at Target is pretty sparkly, frilly, and massively pink. 

The boy's section?  Skater, blue, blue, dark green, soccer shirts, sweat pants, jeans.  All dark colors.  Pretty drab stuff.

• Like 2

They haven't done that here either. Someone told me they did though. They insisted. No what it was was an exaggeration of the facts. I don't have a problem with them not having a "girl's building sets" aisle. How about you?

They still have the girl section which at Target is pretty sparkly, frilly, and massively pink.

The boy's section? Skater, blue, blue, dark green, soccer shirts, sweat pants, jeans. All dark colors. Pretty drab stuff.

Yeah, I just don't get all fussed about any if it. You want building toys: go to this aisle. Princess castles? Next aisle over. Or jumble them together, I don't care either way. Build-a-castle sets--maybe that's the solution! Lol.

I think a person's innate personality and belief system and familial attitudes (to a lesser extent in the long run unless it's abusive) will have a far greater impact on their worldview than whether clothing or toys are sold as gender neutral. Hopefully the same is true for their sense of self while growing up.

(I have noticed their boy clothing tends to be pretty boring though. We don't shop there for clothes for that reason. The girls get the cute stuff!)

• Like 3

Yeah, I just don't get all fussed about any if it. You want building toys: go to this aisle. Princess castles? Next aisle over. Or jumble them together, I don't care either way. Build-a-castle sets--maybe that's the solution! Lol.

I think a person's innate personality and belief system and familial attitudes (to a lesser extent in the long run unless it's abusive) will have a far greater impact on their worldview than whether clothing or toys are sold as gender neutral. Hopefully the same is true for their sense of self while growing up.

(I have noticed their boy clothing tends to be pretty boring though. We don't shop there for clothes for that reason. The girls get the cute stuff!)

Yeah my boys were always bummed when they were little. The girl stuff looks so fun (clothing I mean). 

It's easier to be a girl/woman.  I buy t-shirts in the men's department.  I really like graphic t's.  Nobody gives me a hard time nor accuses me of wanting to be trans.  I haven't met any trans person who WANTED to be trans.  Like they selected it among some options.  Nope.

• Like 9