Menu

Leggins on teenage boys?

Merry

I don't even know what these words mean together.  I know what they mean individually, but as a phrase, they sound like word salad.  There is a big oxymoron there at the end that makes no sense and slit? what?

Are you asking me to explain it to you, or are you just letting me know that you don't understand slang?

My son is soooo conservative in his dress. Oh my. So wish he would get some color in his life. He wants black, or grey or maybe burgundy plain t shirts. Jeans.

His dress clothes are a little more fashionable. He wears red, green, white, and black dress shirts and a few bright ties, but he won't wear any floral tie or a tie with much print at all.

He did wear a pink tie to the funeral of his close friends mom who died of breast cancer. I thought that was sweet.

• Like 1

The rise and crotch areas of leggings and underwear are different for men and women. Imagine your husband in women's panties. The athletic leggings for men have a gusset and support pouch type thing happening that women's leggings don't.

The gold pants you posted aren't what I pictured as leggings. I'm thinking cotton Lycra blend, thin, unstructured garment. Those are fancy pants! How does one sit in those without squishing everything to oblivion? Men in tight pants like that always makes me think of that episode of Friends with Ross and the leather pants where he can't get them back up after going to the bathroom. :rofl:

Then again some women wear high healed shoes.  If that is not hell and squishing, I do not know what is.

• Like 1

I said more and more the sections are changing. My son used to be able to get everything from kohls. Easily find 8-10 shirts for a season. Now he may get 1-2 b/c of the options and he has commented on the colors/styles looking like something his sister would wear. I know kohls can vary in offerings from region to region.

Well that explains it.  Kohls is awful.  Seriously.  I hate that store.

Everything is on sale and you have to use coupons and all sorts of other weird things.  Too annoying.

• Like 3

My target still has different clothing areas but the signs are gone. In the men's section just last week dh could not find a solid color T-shirt that was a manly color. They were lighter colors or that 'heather' faded color. Nothing red or blue. Faint blue, pink, faded pale green. Same colors were in the girls section.

And I do not shop for clothes often. We are pretty minimal in clothing as we are trying to simplify. But target, kohls, Macy's, jcpenney, Nordstrom are my local stores and all have more feminine clothing in the boys/men's sections. My old navy still seems to have separate colors and styles but they fall apart so quick. We are buying more and more online at REI and other outdoor places.

I don't take issue with people being different. Wear what you want. But why is the fashion world going to one gender clothes???

Next time take some pics if you can.  Honestly this is very hard to believe.  Doesn't describe our Target at all. 

If leggings were banned, 3/4 of the girls at my college would be SOL with clothing. I wear leggings, but because my rumpus needs it, I wear long shirts with them. 

Leggings on guys? I shall have to pay attention to see if that trend has hit. I see a lot of guys with skinny leg sweats, clearly sweats, but we're not really on the cutting edge of fashion in our area. I shall report back later. Yesterday more than a few people were in shorts, either they were much warmer than me, it was not warm at 45 degrees, or they need laundry done badly. Next week, it's supposed to plummet temp wise, lets see if the meggings break out. 

My rule for ds was he needed to "own" whatever he wore. The Halo tshirt to the conservative christian 4H homeschooling group? Sure, if you realize what judgment might happen. He did, proudly. 

I grew up in the 80s. I had faux leather pants (not skin tight) and a rat tail in my hair and a gazillion buttons on my jacket. 

90s? Does anyone remember stirrup pants? Come on, just leggings with a foot holder thing. I had a plaid pair. 

I won't talk about the 70s, except to say I did love my Toughskins burgundy colored jeans when I was about 7. 

• Like 7

ok why would a girl want her boyfriend to wear women's leggings?  I can't get past that. 

<snip>

But I still go back to what was the girlfriend thinking???

Not his girlfriend, just a friend who is a girl. And I'd guess she was thinking, hey, these would look good on you. 

• Like 6

Dh owns and wears pink shirts, purple shirts, and even floral shirts. 

This is unremarkable where I live.

I hate the boys section, and so does ds, because it's all skulls and skateboards and camo. We both fall over in excitement if we see boys clothes that aren't this type of 'manly'.

That's what we usually see in the boys section.  Thankfully, Target also has Pokemon and video game characters because my son is way more into that then super heroes and Star Wars.   Since dd also likes Pokemon and Minecraft we often by her t-shirts from the boys section, although Target has recently started carrying "girls" Pokemon and Minecraft shirts.

I don't see how anyone can say Target is gender neutral in the kids clothing. Girls is mostly princesses, Hello Kitty, My Little Pony, pink, and sparkly.  Boys is all camo, Star Wars, and video games.  I see lots of dark blue, gray, and black.  Although I could see more lighter colors coming with Spring.

• Like 3

That's what we usually see in the boys section.  Thankfully, Target also has Pokemon and video game characters because my son is way more into that then super heroes and Star Wars.   Since dd also likes Pokemon and Minecraft we often by her t-shirts from the boys section, although Target has recently started carrying "girls" Pokemon and Minecraft shirts.

I don't see how anyone can say Target is gender neutral in the kids clothing. Girls is mostly princesses, Hello Kitty, My Little Pony, pink, and sparkly.  Boys is all camo, Star Wars, and video games.  I see lots of dark blue, gray, and black.  Although I could see more lighter colors coming with Spring.

I happen to be excited because my Target seems to have more Marvel and Star Wars shirts in the juniors/womens section than the mens.  Though that didn't help me with Christmas shopping. :-(

Moreover, it's not a new thing. Men have been wearing pastel colors particularly in the spring, for as long as I can remember. I vividly remember my Dad having pastel dress shirts for work when I was a little girl. My husband shops for lighter colored dress shirts every spring as well....some are even lavender, etc. He always has. This isn't some feminization thing. Plus, what on earth makes light blue more feminine than dark blue?

Women's clothes do the same...in the winter before the holidays dark/vivid jewel colors are more common and in the spring (the stuff on shelves right now) pastels are more common. Nothing to do with feminine or masculine, it's just fashion.

I agree for the most part. I do think that some colors such as pink were less common for men to wear during a period, even in spring. I distinctly remember when boys in school started deliberately wearing pink (pink polos, etc). I think I was in high school. I think this is around the time the phrase, "real men wear pink" was popular. I was not a fan of the pink trend. And I actually was good friends with a guy that sported a pink mohawk. No problem with that. I would not describe baby blue as feminine, but definitely could see if a man thought it was less manly because he associated it with babies? I think of certain shades of purple as kind of neutral (that sounds stupid, I know colors are just colors) because they are found on muscle cars and such. But I don't think many men would drive a pastel muscle car.

Ds has rotated out several soft colored shirts for spring. We've done mint green, lavender and salmon. Dh has a shirt/tie combo that is a soft purple and some type of purple paisley for the tie. Looks nice.

• Like 1

I happen to be excited because my Target seems to have more Marvel and Star Wars shirts in the juniors/womens section than the mens.  Though that didn't help me with Christmas shopping. :-(

That's true.  Like the girl's Pokemon and Minecraft shirts, I do see Marvel and Star Wars in the womens/girls sections at Target.   Some are even identical to the boys/mens except they may be cut more feminine.   I guess I don't really consider that "gender neutral" though.  I consider it finally acknowledging that girls and women are also into all those things, not just boys/men.

• Like 3

I agree for the most part. I do think that some colors such as pink were less common for men to wear during a period, even in spring.

If you go back far enough, pink was a man's color, not a woman's because it was a shade of red. And blue was a feminine color!

• Like 9

I had heard this expression many, many, years ago and until now never understood how you could tell a man's religion by the cut of his pants.

I have never heard this expression but my best guess of the top of my head is 1 of 2 things.

1) Some religions require male circumcision, so it could simply be a way of saying the clothing is so tight/revealing you can see the details of his actual genitalia through his clothing

OR

2) There is a clothing brand called "True religion" but I'm not sure how that plays into the slang...

• Like 1

That's true. Like the girl's Pokemon and Minecraft shirts, I do see Marvel and Star Wars in the womens/girls sections at Target. Some are even identical to the boys/mens except they may be cut more feminine. I guess I don't really consider that "gender neutral" though. I consider it finally acknowledging that girls and women are also into all those things, not just boys/men.

It's still hard to find a girl's cut snake shirt or one that's not in dark blue, black, green, or brown without going to Zazzle or CafePress, though. Conference shirts are invariably either beige or black. Kind of frustrating when you have a girl who loves snakes-and who's favorite color is fuschia!

• Like 1

I don't even know what these words mean together.  I know what they mean individually, but as a phrase, they sound like word salad.  There is a big oxymoron there at the end that makes no sense and slit? what?

I have never heard that expression either, but I'm assuming their referring to the labia. Even though body shapes vary and its been a while, if memory serves the front view of a womans shaved public area looks sort of like a butt crack if the labia are allowed to be analogous to the butt cheeks.

Edited by Gil
  • Like 1

My target still has different clothing areas but the signs are gone. In the men's section just last week dh could not find a solid color T-shirt that was a manly color. They were lighter colors or that 'heather' faded color. Nothing red or blue. Faint blue, pink, faded pale green. Same colors were in the girls section.

And I do not shop for clothes often. We are pretty minimal in clothing as we are trying to simplify. But target, kohls, Macy's, jcpenney, Nordstrom are my local stores and all have more feminine clothing in the boys/men's sections. My old navy still seems to have separate colors and styles but they fall apart so quick. We are buying more and more online at REI and other outdoor places.

I don't take issue with people being different. Wear what you want. But why is the fashion world going to one gender clothes???

What is a 'manly' colour?  I wear a lot of red and blue and forest green and almost never wear pastels or prints.  Am I wearing 'manly' colours?

• Like 4

The "tell his religion" comments keeps making me think of the movie the Three Musketeers with Rebecca De Mornay and Tim Curry (as Cardinal Richelieu) in a scene where she's holding a knife to his crotch and says something like "with a flick of my wrist, I can change your religion".   :laugh:

• Like 4

I have never heard this expression but my best guess of the top of my head is 1 of 2 things.

1) Some religions require male circumcision, so it could simply be a way of saying the clothing is so tight/revealing you can see the details of his actual genitalia through his clothing

OR

2) There is a clothing brand called "True religion" but I'm not sure how that plays into the slang...

LMAO

Oh my....

:lol:

I seriously doubt one could see the details of that unless literally the clothing were see through. 

LMAO

Oh my....

:lol:

I seriously doubt one could see the details of that unless literally the clothing were see through. 

You'd be surprised. Human skin is really something. I'm sure we've all had our nipples stick up against our shirt at some point, just imagine if you were braless (not being pervy, but being a guy I don't wear a bra) and wearing a tight fitting shirt when your nipples stood up. The details of the nipples would be a heck of a lot more defined.

Either way, that is just my guess. I don't know what the expression actually means, but that was my off-the-cuff interpretation... If anyone wants to educate me.

I have seen tons of boys and men wearing compression pants for sports, running and cycling. Especially in winter, when it is chilly in California. Even the NBA Greats on TV wear them during matches. The look is similar to the links below. I googled to get these links. They are comfortable, but they do show the outline of private parts. Most kids on my DS's basketball team wear these tights with a mesh shorts on top as in the links below.

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=715054002&vid=1&locale=en_US&kwid=1&sem=false&sdkw=boys-go-dry-mesh-panel-shorts-P715054&brandCvoSid=GX8RP7CSNE4T&sdReferer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oldnavy.com%2Fproducts%2Fboys-activewear.jsp

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pw/boys-cold-weather-nike-pro-compression/7pvZb97Zobn

ETA: Men in Tights - basketball - http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/sports/ncaabasketball/for-college-basketball-players-skin-is-no-longer-in.html

ETA2: I remember watching a Mel Brooks movie in my youth called "Robin Hood - Men in Tights" and this thread reminded me of that movie :)

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 1

You'd be surprised. Human skin is really something. I'm sure we've all had our nipples stick up against our shirt at some point, just imagine if you were braless (not being pervy, but being a guy I don't wear a bra) and wearing a tight fitting shirt when your nipples stood up. The details of the nipples would be a heck of a lot more defined.

Either way, that is just my guess. I don't know what the expression actually means, but that was my off-the-cuff interpretation... If anyone wants to educate me.

You were right, Gil, on both expressions. 

• Like 2

Well just saying if a guy is not circ'd and his wares are erect and poking out through clothing it looks the same as if he were not circ'd. 

Probably TMI. 

• Like 3

Are you asking me to explain it to you, or are you just letting me know that you don't understand slang?

I'm not sure it's slang.

The only people I've heard of that habitually say 'front butt' are 3 year old girls, and the only place (other than this) that I've *ever* read about a 'slit' is in really bad erotic fan fiction. (It's right up there with 'throbbing member'.)

I'm pretty sure the actual slang for clothing that sufficiently defines a female's genitals, such that one labia is visibly separated (estranged?) from the other is, indeed, "camel toe"... possibly "front wedgie" if the seam of the clothing is involved in the estrangement.

I think I might delete this. Laugh while you can.

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 10

My son is soooo conservative in his dress. Oh my. So wish he would get some color in his life. He wants black, or grey or maybe burgundy plain t shirts. Jeans.

His dress clothes are a little more fashionable. He wears red, green, white, and black dress shirts and a few bright ties, but he won't wear any floral tie or a tie with much print at all.

He did wear a pink tie to the funeral of his close friends mom who died of breast cancer. I thought that was sweet.

This is my son, he wanted me to buy the exact same pair of pants and same shirts all the same color.  Mainly because he's lazy and doesn't want to have to change his clothes every day.  I told him I could tell yesterdays blue shirt from today's blue shirt so that wouldn't help him.

DN is much more adventurous. All the colors of the rainbow except green (he's a ginger and thinks it's too contrasting). He will only wear skinny jeans (he has a couple pairs that are bright orange and red)and bright shirts.  So much more fun to buy clothes for him.

What is a 'manly' colour?  I wear a lot of red and blue and forest green and almost never wear pastels or prints.  Am I wearing 'manly' colours?

I don't mean some colors are boy vs girl.  But my son doesn't want a faded 'heather' colored shirt.  He wants Red.  Or Royal Blue/Navy Blue.  Green.  Last week in our Target in the men's section we were looking for a solid color shirt.  Everything was pink, light green, pale pale blue.  Where are the bright solid colors?  Not the lighter colors my daughter likes?  When I shop in men's clothing my daughter shouldn't be begging for a shirt b/c it's 'pretty colors'.

I won't be at target for 2 more weeks, but I will try to remember to take a photo of the men's t-shirt section.  It looked like a girls section....the colors were all light and faded.  Nothing bright or solid. And my son is the one who commented about it.  My husband bit his tongue.  And my daughter wanted to buy men's clothing b/c it was prettier than the girls area. 

I don't mean some colors are boy vs girl.  But my son doesn't want a faded 'heather' colored shirt.  He wants Red.  Or Royal Blue/Navy Blue.  Green.  Last week in our Target in the men's section we were looking for a solid color shirt.  Everything was pink, light green, pale pale blue.  Where are the bright solid colors?  Not the lighter colors my daughter likes?  When I shop in men's clothing my daughter shouldn't be begging for a shirt b/c it's 'pretty colors'.

I won't be at target for 2 more weeks, but I will try to remember to take a photo of the men's t-shirt section.  It looked like a girls section....the colors were all light and faded.  Nothing bright or solid. And my son is the one who commented about it.  My husband bit his tongue.  And my daughter wanted to buy men's clothing b/c it was prettier than the girls area. 

I've honestly never heard that faded/heather colors are girls versus boys. Pink versus blue, sure, but light versus dark? Heather colors and faded colors are not even really pastels. I mean heck, grey is faded black, and not girly. I really think this isn't about feminine, it's about time of year/seasonal. 

• Like 7

I have to say that this is one of the oddest mindsets expressed in this thread  :confused1:

This has nothing at all to do with gender neutrality and everything to do with current style. If I could express how sick to death I am women's clothing so often being available in only bright/jewel tones (or black), they would have to delete this thread. It's been YEARS, designers! It's time to move on! But that is a trend, not a statement on femininity.

I find it very hard to believe that your Target is so vastly different from the multiple Targets frequented by many of us. I shop regularly at three of them, in a very liberal/progressive area, and I'm not seeing anything like you're describing, so I have to think there's some kind of odd lens at play here. 

• Like 10

I have to say that this is one of the oddest mindsets expressed in this thread  :confused1:

This has nothing at all to do with gender neutrality and everything to do with current style. If I could express how sick to death I am women's clothing so often being available in only bright/jewel tones (or black), they would have to delete this thread. It's been YEARS, designers! It's time to move on! But that is a trend, not a statement on femininity.

I find it very hard to believe that your Target is so vastly different from the multiple Targets frequented by many of us. I shop regularly at three of them, in a very liberal/progressive area, and I'm not seeing anything like you're describing, so I have to think there's some kind of odd lens at play here. 

Yeah I went and looked at the on-line store and I don't see the gobs and gobs of unusual colors in the men's department.

It's hard to find certain colors for boys/men.  For example, I once needed white pants for one of mine for a play.  They DO NOT sell white pants for boys anywhere.  I couldn't find them.  I ended up buying a costume.  They sell plenty of white in the girl's department though.  Well except at the time the style was skinny jeans.  Skinny white jeans to be worn as a costume representing sailor pants wasn't going to work. 

Granted, white is a pretty dumb color (or non color) for an active kid anyway.  I guess girls are supposed to just be pretty and inactive though.  LOL 

• Like 2

Leggings on boys isn't a trend around here, except with basketball players who wear them under their shorts. 

That said, Ds13 sometimes wears leggings to dance class, and doesn't think anything of stopping by a store on the way home or going out for Subway between classes while still in his leggings. They aren't exactly fashionable, but he wears a dance belt so there's nothing to see, and he's never gotten any comments about them. If he or any of my other boys wanted to wear leggings regularly, I'd just make sure they had appropriate underwear. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure it's slang.

The only people I've heard of that habitually say 'front butt' are 3 year old girls, and the only place (other than this) that I've *ever* read about a 'slit' is in really bad erotic fan fiction. (It's right up there with 'throbbing member'.)

I heard all the terms I mentioned form adult friends or my college-age daughter, so there ya go! Maybe it's the company I keep.  :laugh: