Menu

Do teenagers like Disney?

Harriet Vane

We just came back from Disney World, and it was my oldest dd's senior trip - not with friends, but family. 

Mine are 17 and 15, so, yeah, teens CAN love Disney.

Like Zoobie, I think it depends more on the person rather than their age. dh and I love it as adults, and my mom loves it as a senior, but I also know people in each of those age groups who don't care for it.

• Like 3

Definitely depends on the teen (or adult). My DD15 has an opportunity to go with her student council to Disney this year. Lots of friends. She has no interest and will not be going. On the flip side of that coin DH and I chose to go to Disney for our honeymoon and LOVED it. All depends on the person. There is definitely a ton to do, no matter the age. Can you do some research and show them things they can do then ask if they are interested?

• Like 1

My DD is 15 now. In Latin America, 15 is THE BIG birthday for girls. She wanted a trip to Disney, and not a party. Hopefully in mid April 2016 that dream will be fulfilled. OP I suggest you ask your teens whether or not they would like to go to WDW.  Have them read about what each park has, to make the best use of the time they have each day in the parks.

I loved Disney as a teen and as a young adult.   My husband liked it.  But we never took our kids there. A few years ago, when they were younger teens, we asked them if they wanted to go.  I felt like a trip to Disney one of those things US American kids "had" to do.  They were not really interested.  As I think about it, they never loved most Disney movies and were never interested in Disney products (character toys, clothing, and such).   So, we didn't go.  They may go as adults someday, and who knows, they may love it.

Add me to those with kids who like Disney and enjoy themselves there, BUT... when I gave them a choice between Disney and the beach on a trip to FL, they both chose beach with less than 5 seconds of thought (independently).

Given a choice of traveling anywhere at all, Disney doesn't make their Top 10 list.

They've been to Disney, but not often.  We took them there right before we dropped youngest off at college in 2014 (and yes, they loved it), but before that the last time they'd been was 2007.  After our trip in 2007 they all told us they preferred Busch Gardens (more roller coasters).

When asked what their favorite trips we've taken in our family life have been, HI tops the list.  Western National Parks are also up there and so are FL State/National parks & beaches.

Will your teens like Disney?  I'm not sure any of us can answer that for you... have you asked them where they want to travel to?  We went on many of our trips by request.  Our guys loved being asked what they wanted to see.

• Like 1

The thing about WDW is it does have something for everyone. And if your group has divergent interests, a day can be planned with some group time and some do your own thing time. This is especially good with park to park tickets (my then 13 year old returned to EPCOT daily for four days)

That said, if your kids were Harry Potter fans, you should go to Universal.

• Like 1

Yes. Disney is fun for teens. My teens would probably prefer Universal Studios or Busch Gardens but they would not turn down a Disney trip.

Agreed.

My 20 yo and 17 yo would take Cedar Point, Universal Studies or Busch Gardens (any of them) over Disney because those parks have more (and bigger) roller coasters.  But they wouldn't turn down a trip to Disney, even though they've never been into any of the character stuff (not even when they were little).  IMO Disney has something for everyone.  DH and I went there pre-kids when we were around 30 and we had a great time.

• Like 1

It could be important to note that my guys wouldn't turn down a trip to anywhere.  Like their parents, they love traveling.  The only truly disappointing major place we've found has been Las Vegas, but even then, if a trip were free, we'd go and head off to Red Rock Canyon or see shows or something.  It's not that difficult to find something we like pretty much anywhere.

We love Disney.  My Aspie (almost 18) says he is done with it, but I am not sure.

We typically go once per year.

But my friend, who hates Disney herself, says her kids hate it.  But her 16 year old went last year with her aunt and loved it.....I had to laugh.

My parents took me when I was 13 and I feel very 'meh' about it. I mean it was fun, but I didn't think it was any more fun than Valley Fair (the amusement park that is 1 hr away and sells season tickets for less than the price of a day at DW). I loved some of the other things we did - the space center and the beach were my favorites, but when I think back on it, DW seems way overrated.

I have been trying to decide if Disney is a trip we should make with our kids at some point. It seems like one of those "must do" trips, but I can't muster up much enthusiasm for it... I'll be curious to hear other responses.

Ds really didn't like Disney as a child.  Crowded, noisy, overstimulating...and he doesn't like rides.  There is no way he would have wanted to go as a teen.

DD17 loves DIsney for all those same reasons. 

I would ask them, and let them help make the decision.

Do teenagers like Disney? Trying to figure out if a frivolous Disney trip will be fun and silly, or if my 19yo and 14yo will think it's weird and not really a good fit for them.

Yes! When I was in HS (my senior year -- 1991), Disney is where our band went for their once-in-four years out of state trip!

Edited by vonfirmath

It really depends on the teen. Some go through a stage where WDW is uncool (especially those who live near the theme parks, but it can hit any teen), then come out of that phase as older teens. Mine went through it and is over it and loves it again. His girlfriend always loved it. 

A lot of teens prefer Universal because of the rides, but that doesn't mean they won't like WDW.

I guess I'll be the grumpy old man here... My Disney experiences are in circa '83, '87, and '90. At age 9 it was cool but sort of fake. At 13 the rides were cool but Epcot was very lame and pseudointellectual... on the same trip, Cape Canaveral was completely awesome. My last Disney experience was at age 16 on a free trip to Japan sponsored by a new local factory. On that trip we went to  Expo 90 in Osaka which despite being a horticulture expo was everything Epcot wanted to be. I still remember a virtual reality demo from Mitsubishi that was a decade before its time. Disney Tokyo was the most plastic thing I've ever seen. I can't imagine going to Disney as an adult.

I respect Disney's ability to be an immersive experience. The work they have done with the smart passes and wristbands and rfids is really, really cool. The only folks approaching this level of marketing expertise are the American Girl stores. It is a marvel of seamless marketing to meet consumer demand. Unfortunately it is way to fake and commercial for my taste.

DS9 is going to Disney with the grandparents in 2 weeks... he can experience it without my cynical views... but I can't imagine it will be his first choice in 5 or 6 years.

We enjoy going b/c as a big family with various aged kiddos, everyone can enjoy it!  I'd like to try Busch Gardens and Universal, but my littlest would be left riding nothing.  I"d ask if they wanted Disney or Universal/Busch/SeaWorld- the ticket prices are about the same.  Another really neat one to do is Discovery Cove.  I'll bet your say Universal! 

I grew up close to Disneyland and we loved it as pre-adolescents/teens. It was our first chance to really be on our own, separating from parents and meeting up later. It taught us how to problem solve, get around, ask for help, estimate times, use maps, order in restaurants, etc. We did that from age 11 onwards.It's really quite a safe place for kids to learn some good life skills while having fun.

• Like 1

I grew up close to Disneyland and we loved it as pre-adolescents/teens. It was our first chance to really be on our own, separating from parents and meeting up later. It taught us how to problem solve, get around, ask for help, estimate times, use maps, order in restaurants, etc. We did that from age 11 onwards.It's really quite a safe place for kids to learn some good life skills while having fun.

I think it's a rite of passage for kids growing up near either Disneyland or Disney World. The first time you go to go off on your own at Disney is a Really Big Deal.

Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 1

As I think about it, they never loved most Disney movies and were never interested in Disney products (character toys, clothing, and such).   So, we didn't go.  They may go as adults someday, and who knows, they may love it.

My kids were 6 & 8 on their first trip, and weren't too much into the characters and such before that - their Disney watching was very limited, because every movie seemed to traumatize them! and they were never big cartoon watchers. Our biggest surprise of that first trip was seeing them go nuts with autograph books and meeting characters. 

I think it's just really hard to tell if someone is going to like Disney World in advance, or what they will like about it. 

As a family, we don't tend to like crowds and noise, but we still love Disney World. Of course, we were generally lucky enough to go at less crowded times!

Everyone but me loves really intense roller coasters. Universal has more of those, but they still prefer Disney World.

We've only done Universal once, because every time it's suggested, no one can stand the thought of being in Orlando but not being at Disney, lol. dh said he's going to plan a trip to Cedar Point so we don't have that problem. 

If it would help you decide, there are video walkthroughs of Disney on youtube.  You can see the whole thing for yourself.  I've yearned to go for years, so I spend little snitches of time looking at the videos and dreaming.   :D  Really though, I like the suggestion of Busch Gardens.  If you're really not Disney freaks, it really might be more fun, especially if what you want is the coasters.  I took my dh on a trip to Alaska when he turned 40, so I want him to take *me* on a trip when I turn 40 this year, hehe.  Of course, if I were smart I'd ditch 'em all and go take a cruise.  Oh well.  

Btw, if you're doing Florida, do you know about the Ringling Brothers museum down there?  My dh went a few years ago on a quickie fishing trip with a friend, and he said it was PHENOMENAL.  He said if I ever dragged him to Florida, he'd skip Disney and do that museum again.  There you go.   :)

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1