Menu

Elf on a Shelf

clarkacademy

No way! I have enough stuff to do this time of year without worrying about a badly behaved elf. Besides, considering all the things I see those elves doing, who do they think they are to report bad behavior to Santa?

Ha-ha, yeah I really don't understand why people make it misbehave.

We just move ours around the house so the kids can find him every morning. We also don't talk about the nonsense of him reporting to Santa. The kids still tell him what they want for Christmas for some reason. Ours makes an appearance after thanksgiving

• Like 1

We started hosting an Elf just a few years ago, when my kids were already teens. Our little guy has rather . . . "grown up" tastes and habits. 

Last year was the first one when my kids weren't home during the holiday season. My daughter now lives on her own, and my son is in college. So, I send cell phone photos of the Elf's antics to each of them each morning.

If anyone has any suggestions for seriously bad stuff the obnoxious little dude could get into this year, I'd appreciate hearing them. I'm running low on ideas.

• Like 5

We love the tradition of the Danish Nisse, instead of Elf on a Shelf.  It's sort of the same thing.  Elf.  Mischief.  But it feels a little less Halmark-y.  Our kids are older, so we just have a few nisser as decoration.  We might move them around for fun.  And we will leave out rice pudding on Christmas eve.  Easy and sweet.  A little Nisse reading for fun:

https://sites.google.com/site/thehistoryofchristmas/christmas-traditions/denmark

https://ourhouseinaarhus.wordpress.com/2013/12/12/more-danish-christmas-hygge-this-time-gnomes/

http://www.fjorn.com/whatispixie.html

Our elf will arrive after Thanksgiving.  

When we moved this summer, our 11 year old found the elf in a box - and after a few tearful moments, he's now in on it for the little one.  He's excited about making some magic!

Where did he think it came from?  I guess this is what I've never understood - he's obviously (to me anyway) not a real elf.

A friend gave us Kindness Elves from the UK. My kids are far too old for them, but I might use them in my preschool classroom.

Count me as another who thinks EotS is creepy-looking, and I hate the reporting back to Santa thing, too--but I don't know anyone who tells that to their kids.

Jenny in FL, I've seen really rude (and hilarious, in my twisted opinion) EotS scenarios--just google and you'll get some ideas!

My kids got really into him. He isn't an EOTS though he is very old he was my mothers when she was a little girl passed down to me and I just had to do something crazy LOL. I did make a group last year where people were sharing the ideas for their elves too. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1531059053840070/ This year our elf is getting a reindeer pet and doing a bunch of the Northpole stuff I scored last year on clearance LOL

Our elf has become an expected guest, and what worries me now is that I really think my kids believe in it. I started it because they asked for an elf to come years ago. Ours is not like everyone's, I got him on clearance after Christmas. Ours doesn't do naughty things either, don't see the sense on that.

I really resent my mom for getting it for us several years ago.  :tongue_smilie:

Ours doesn't "do" anything but fly off to report every night, but that does mean he can be found in a different spot every morning.  Well, most mornings.  Definitely at least twice a week.

That stupid elf is worse than the Tooth Fairy around here.  They should have been fired a long time ago.

• Like 1

I actually did not buy the first elf, my mother in law did. I was in the creepy camp so I replaced him with the somewhat cuter stuff version. My son gof super into finding it every morning. Then my 2nd son wanted one too so he got the original creepy one. The original one is a little more fun to move around as he can hang from things. My husband and I have fun finding new spots to hide them. My kids love finding them. But if I had to do it all over again I'd probably just never start, I feel like we're stuck pulling out the elf every year. I need to find the joy in it because it does bring my kids joy.

We don't do the Elf thing, though we know many who really have fun with it. We don't purposefully un-do Santa, but Christmas in our family is more about Jesus. We try to emphasize giving and helping others.

I find the Elf and bit anti-Christmas actually. As a Christian, Christmas is about God sending a Savior to rescue and redeem us from the penalty and power of Sin. Christmas is NOT about being good. The whole point is that we are not good and cannot change that.

• Like 1

We don't do the Elf thing, though we know many who really have fun with it. We don't purposefully un-do Santa, but Christmas in our family is more about Jesus. We try to emphasize giving and helping others.

I find the Elf and bit anti-Christmas actually. As a Christian, Christmas is about God sending a Savior to rescue and redeem us from the penalty and power of Sin. Christmas is NOT about being good. The whole point is that we are not good and cannot change that.

Have you seen A Star from Afar? 

We don't do Santa/Elf either, but I wanted something similar. My friend recently got this and loves it. 

http://www.starfromafar.com/

He arrives on the 1st of December in our house bringing an Advent calendar (Star Wars Lego version for our Lego fan who collects mini figures). He hides somewhere every day, sometimes he spills stuff or takes pencils or erasers or toys, but that is all he has the energy for!

Edited by mathnerd

We just received an official-looking memorandum informing us that the arrival of our elf will be unavoidably delayed this year. It included an aerial photo of the little guy and his friend (the Mensch on a Bench) huddled around a flaming garbage can in what seems to be a very snowy and remote location. In theory, as long as our elf continues to cooperate with his current program, he should arrive for a 12-day stay beginning later this month.

(In other words, certain people are having a little trouble getting on board with all of the holiday stuff this year and needed a little break.)

• Like 3

Along this line but an idea I like much better - a friend of mine bought a random elf last year and called it the "kindness" elf.  Every few days shows up with a letter and instructions for an act of kindness for them to do that day.  One day he showed up with baking supplies to make cookies for the neighbor.  One day with cards for them to fill out for friends.  One day with some money to buy toys for Toys for Tots.   Anything like that you can think of.  I thought it was a much nicer way to get in the holiday spirit!

• Like 6

I had a great one come across my facebook feed today.

at first, I only saw star wars figures posed around a lit gas stove burner.  the caption was "if you're going to do elf-on-a-shelf, do it right".   as I continued looking - there was an elf hanging upside down, it's feet duct taped to the range hood.

• Like 1

Ha-ha, yeah I really don't understand why people make it misbehave.

Sending the Fred Weasley rather than the Hermione of elves just shows Santa's generosity.

Our elf, of course, is late. He probably got lost on his way from the north pole, but rumor has it he will turn up after my eldest's piano lesson. 

Also, did anyone else see that there is now a Jewish spinoff? Mensch on a Bench.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

When we first saw this I told dh, "Good grief, now not only do Jews not have Christmas, they now do have Elf on the Shelf. What could be worse?"

At least this one has positive cultural educational value.  The elf is just more commercialization of a religious holiday.  Nothing could be more middle class american than a store bought "tradition", I suppose.

My husband (Episcopal priest) actually wrote his parish newsletter article about Elf on the Shelf. He's not for it.

I'll link--IDK if you can open it, but I thought he did a pretty good article.

Your dh nails it, IMO.  Esp the difference between elf and mensch.

We do a little Santa, tho my skeptic kids never believed very much.  We also do St Nicholas and a Jesse Tree and a xmas devotional (Jotham's Journey books).  

I have teens and I do collect moderately inappropriate elf images to show them.  My fav this year is the elf filming barbie dolls in a sink full of bubbles.  Salient message for teens in a world of sexting.  ;)

We started hosting an Elf just a few years ago, when my kids were already teens. Our little guy has rather . . . "grown up" tastes and habits. 

Last year was the first one when my kids weren't home during the holiday season. My daughter now lives on her own, and my son is in college. So, I send cell phone photos of the Elf's antics to each of them each morning.

If anyone has any suggestions for seriously bad stuff the obnoxious little dude could get into this year, I'd appreciate hearing them. I'm running low on ideas.

This is why we don't have an elf - DH and I would make it do really bad things.

Warning - do not click this link if you are easily offended.....

http://www.buzzfeed.com/michelleregna/must-be-a-south-pole-elf#.bynYO6nVR

• Like 4

This is why we don't have an elf - DH and I would make it do really bad things.

Warning - do not click this link if you are easily offended.....

http://www.buzzfeed.com/michelleregna/must-be-a-south-pole-elf#.bynYO6nVR

Did you see the glory hole elf?  There is a candy cane sticking thru a hole in the wall.  Super inappropriate.  I nearly died laughing.

Inappropriate is my middle name.  

• Like 1

Did you see the glory hole elf?  There is a candy cane sticking thru a hole in the wall.  Super inappropriate.  I nearly died laughing.

Inappropriate is my middle name.  

That's awesome. And also the first (and last) time I've googled "glory hole elf". :-)

One of our friends has been giving us a super hard time about not having an elf. He told DH that we were basically ruining DS's Christmas memories for all time by not having one. So I've been sending him terrible horrible elf pictures in retaliation. He is so getting glory hole elf next! Ha!

• Like 1

I had a great one come across my facebook feed today.

at first, I only saw star wars figures posed around a lit gas stove burner. the caption was "if you're going to do elf-on-a-shelf, do it right". as I continued looking - there was an elf hanging upside down, it's feet duct taped to the range hood.

Today I saw one in which Darth Vader had the Elf by the neck up against the walk with his feet dangling down, obviously choking him. A storm trooper stood by passively.

• Like 2

So my kids think their elf needs clothes, but his hands are sewn together. If I snip them apart, he won't be able to hug his knees or hang. Do most people cut the hands loose?

Could you cut the hands loose, then sew/glue on small pieces of velcro so that he could still hang or hug his knees?

We've never done the elf and I've never even talked about it with the kids.   Somehow they heard about it and they were discussing it the other day.   Ds said that it ever came to our house he would kill it and bury it because it was creepy.

My parents have had elves for years.  Evidently it's an Irish thing?

• Like 1