Menu

large families and logistics of shopping

athomeontheprairie

I feel like this is a s/o of that other thread, but I intended to ask it earlier this week and never got around to it :-)

I have four kids +2 extras. if you have more than four kids can you talk to me about the logistics of physically shopping in a large store with a shopping cart?

where are the kids in relation to you, and to the cart?

when my kids were little they were trained to hold onto a stroller handle, or the shopping cart handle . and it worked really well. Too well... because now I can't get them to break the habit :-) and we are too wide to walk four people deep in a tiny grocery store.

at our local store it is in such an issue, the aisles are wider, there's less impulse buying, and fewer people. Couple all that with familiarity of the store and the general safety of a small town- my kids can move around... when we go to the city and the isles are packed with people, where should my kids stand? I just can't figure out a good system, What do you do?

What are your kids ages?

I have 5 but their ages are spread out- two teens who either go off on their own & meet back up at a certain time or who help with the littles.

A severly disabled 7 yr old someone needs to push in his wheelchair, a toddler, & infant. Toddler or infant go on my back, depending.

One in the cart, one holding onto the side of the cart, and six walking behind me. I taught them to stay on one side of the isle, behind the cart, so other people can get by us. I have had other configurations, like a big kid pushing a double stroller, or a toddler leashed to the cart, or carrying a baby in an Ergo. It's not a coincidence that the nights I drink wine are the ones after a day of grocery shopping.

• Like 4

I teach my kids to think of the aisles as roads, so stay in your lane. Ha! That was a great tip I picked up. If it's crowded I have the kids who aren't in the cart or running to other areas to get stuff for me walk behind me, think mama duck style. Otherwise, it's hands on the cart for the littles if there's room to spread a bit. Good question. I'll be listening in.

Edited by LavenderGirl
  • Like 3

Ages help, yes. 10, 8, 6, 4, (2) 2yos.

With those ages I would probably have 10yo push 1 cart with a 2yo in the seat, I would push a second cart with the other 2yo. 4yo and 6yos can each hold the side of a cart a piece. 8yo can trade off pushing the 10yo or just walk behind or in front.

That's my answer if you have to take the kids.  My real answer is to only shop without them. I used to shop at Walmart at 11pm just to avoid having to take my 4 grocery shopping. My kids are old enough to leave at home now. In a few years you'll be able to leave several of them home.  

Can you do your shopping when dh is home?

• Like 8

I usually shop alone. I figure it's easier and the chance of one of them getting abducted is lessened.  That and I can read the labels without interruption.  Nothing like getting tugged on the arm mid label with someone saying, "Hey, Mom!". 

Actually it gets easier than that eventually.  You can hand your driving teen a list and money and *they* do the shopping while *you* stay at home.  This is my most preferred method.

• Like 4

My age spread made it much easier.  Even still, I spent my fair share of time pushing "car" carts.  Car carts with double basket seats were an awesome score at some stores.

Of course, the best has always been the grocery pick up option!  If I ever lived in an area with delivery, we never would have left the house!

I go during co-op. Ă¢ËœÂº

But I hear you. Right now, I'm loving the giant multi-kid carts because even though they are bulky, they are contained.

Without either of those options, we are a bit of a mess right now, so I'm listening in. I now understand why my mother started leaving me home to babysit for short trips to the store when I was 10 (and a similar spread of ages for younger siblings as your kiddos)

when mine were littler I gave them jobs, you get the bananas, you get the flour and you get the oats. I found keeping everyone busy worked really really well.

the twins have not had early training on shopping, and they find the sight of so much food overwhelming ( throwback from being starved) so they are kept firmly strapped in their twin pram.

• Like 1

when mine were littler I gave them jobs, you get the bananas, you get the flour and you get the oats. I found keeping everyone busy worked really really well.

the twins have not had early training on shopping, and they find the sight of so much food overwhelming ( throwback from being starved) so they are kept firmly strapped in their twin pram.

Yes! Even my older ones haven't totally outgrown having their turn putting items in the cart. I pretty much just list my next item, and someone gets it for me. They love this.

I feel like this is a s/o of that other thread, but I intended to ask it earlier this week and never got around to it :-)

I have four kids +2 extras. if you have more than four kids can you talk to me about the logistics of physically shopping in a large store with a shopping cart?

when my kids were little they were trained to hold onto a stroller handle, or the shopping cart handle . and it worked really well. Too well... because now I can't get them to break the habit :-) and we are too wide to walk four people deep in a tiny grocery store.

at our local store it is in such an issue, the aisles are wider, there's less impulse buying, and fewer people. Couple all that with familiarity of the store and the general safety of a small town- my kids can move around... when we go to the city and the isles are packed with people, where should my kids stand? I just can't figure out a good system, What do you do?

I am a lifelong Kroger's shopper thanks to their Playlands. To me, the somewhat higher prices were totally worth it. From 2 - 6, you're in Playland for the hour or two allowed. From 7+, you can walk in a line following me until you can stay home alone. Babies in the double shopping cart or a carrier.

I didn't have many but when I did take extras to the store I just dumped them all in the Playland. Baby on me, toddler in front. I only did this a few times but I feel confident that reducing the number of children in the aisle is a method I would recommend to anybody most any time.

I only have one (two if you count DH, who likes to make a family outing of grocery shopping, sometimes going so far as to want to bring his parents or adult siblings along for the trip).

But my advice was also going to be "don't shop with everyone." Or, I like to shop at night or early in the morning or during ps hours. Its easier because there aren't as many people to bump into. Bonus points that our grocery store is mostly empty around midnight. 

• Like 1

Well, you're at the hardest part - lots of littles, few helpers.  If I take kids shopping, I take more than one cart and more than one pusher.  I also have sitters for anyone who doesn't want to go.  Costco carts carry more than one little - two carts hold four shorties.  :D

The hardest point is when the oldest one is under 8 and there are 3+ under the oldest.  After that, you have reliable hand holders.  When we all make a shopping trip together, my kids know to mostly walk in a line and watch out for others  - more so than most folks shopping on their own. (Insert raised eyebrows)

In your case, any baby under 1 or 2 goes into a carrier.  Then the next "baby" goes into the cart.  Then the oldest holds middle's hand behind you.  They learn to walk in a line and just chit chat or play the animal game between the two of them.  The animal game, in case you don't know, involves one person thinking of an animal and the other asking questions until they venture a guess.  If the little is too little to think of questions, the older gives hints until the animal is guessed.  With homeschooled kids this game can get pretty difficult, lol, AND last FOREVER.  It's gotten us through many a shopping trip, doctor visit, waiting room stay, etc.  

• Like 3

Ages help, yes. 10, 8, 6, 4, (2) 2yos.

Oops!  Didn't see this.

The 10yo gets the easiest 2yo.

The more difficult 2yo goes in the cart front.

The 4yo goes on the end of the cart facing you, to engage.

The 8yo plays the animal game with the 6yo, holding hands directly behind you.

It is the 10yo that brings up the rear and makes sure the 8yo and 6yo keep up while you shop. :)

Also, your instinct is to go fast, get in, get out.  If you are this person then you could feel rushed.

The rushed feeling makes you more frantic and kids feed off it.... Be purposefully and intentionally slow - slow talking, calm, sweet, and very chill.  The kids tend to pick up on that vibe too and just be more relaxed themselves.

• Like 6

With those ages I would probably have 10yo push 1 cart with a 2yo in the seat, I would push a second cart with the other 2yo. 4yo and 6yos can each hold the side of a cart a piece. 8yo can trade off pushing the 10yo or just walk behind or in front.

The 10yo gets the easiest 2yo.

The more difficult 2yo goes in the cart front.

The 4yo goes on the end of the cart facing you, to engage.

The 8yo plays the animal game with the 6yo, holding hands directly behind you.

It is the 10yo that brings up the rear and makes sure the 8yo and 6yo keep up while you shop. :)

One of these would have been my solution. Both of these solutions also allow for little kids to go grab items to help without a line decending into chaos, which keeps them happy in the stores. What Sassenach said is basically what my mums configuration was for years.

Am I the only one who actually LIKES taking the kids shopping? Our weekly shopping trip is something we all look forward to. Granted, I often have DH with me, but I can do it just as happily with just myself and the girls. Logistics are important so that everyone has a place to be and doesn't wander about lost, but, I'd not trade off leaving them at home for anything. But maybe that's just my personality, I enjoy it and, like Blsdmama said, take it slow. 

Edited by abba12
  • Like 1

When I had 5 10 and under, I made sure to go during the day (usually late morning) when there weren't as many people in the store, but yes to two carts, split up the 2 year olds and probably put the 4 year old in the basket of your cart just to keep him/her from running everywhere.

When they got a bit older I would leave the oldest home with one of the youngers but not the youngest and only take 3-4 with me.  Somehow, 3-4 seemed like a piece of cake compared to having all 5-6 with me.  Then I reached a point where I left them all home.  Now we are back to they all go with me even though they hate shopping.  But we have discovered our local grocery store discounts donuts just about the time they get out of phyed class. So they all wait in the vehicle while I run in (I buy my meat in bulk and freeze over half of winter produce needs in the summer and buy most of our grains from a local food-co-op so my actual grocery run is at most 40 minutes but often I can be in and out in under 30) and then we go to Costco which is across the street and of course they all have to come in and are extremely well behaved because they want the samples. 

I love this thread as I hate shopping with my kids! They do not walk well in a line they are so random. And will just cut in front of the trolley or try to squeeze in tiny places! I have a 9 and 6 year old but if I have them walk behind me together they will just fight and muck around! I think it would possibly work better to have the 9 and 3 year old behind and keep the six year old with me as helper because she is the worst.

Now I write it down I realise I have more of a behaviour issue than a logistics issue Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€¢

• Like 2

I only have 4. Mine are 1, 6, 8, & 11.

I like one older child pushing the cart, one entertaining baby by carrying or holding her hand and walking in front of us, and the 6 year old following and putting things in the cart for me or holding on to the cart if he can't behave. The older two often switch entertaining baby or pushing the cart. Another job if baby is in the cart is to have one push and one check off items on our list.

When they were 5, 2, newborn we did the big cart with baby and toddler and 5 year old holding cart.

I love this thread as I hate shopping with my kids! They do not walk well in a line they are so random. And will just cut in front of the trolley or try to squeeze in tiny places! I have a 9 and 6 year old but if I have them walk behind me together they will just fight and muck around! I think it would possibly work better to have the 9 and 3 year old behind and keep the six year old with me as helper because she is the worst.

Now I write it down I realise I have more of a behaviour issue than a logistics issue Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€¢

My six year old is the worst at the store, too! Must be the age?

• Like 2

I have a 2,3,4,5 that stay with us when their parents go away on mission and we do this my 9yr old drives one cart, the 2 and 3 yr old each ride. The 7 yr old & 1 of the 4/5 yr olds buddy up to grab items.  The other 4/5 year old gets to the push the cart while I steer from the front.  We walk like like ducks with me in front, and the 9 yr old in back.  

I have everyone "find their spots" for shopping, they know what that means. I wear the youngest (10 months), my toddler is in the seat of the cart. The two middles hold onto the left side of the cart, one in the front and one by the handle. Both on the same side, so I can move the cart close to the shelves and so we don't take up too much room. The other two are walking behind or beside me, with one of them checking off the list or running to get things. It's easier to do it with me and all the kids than it is to have another adult along, because if it's just me then they know what to expect and there's no "who wants to walk with dad/grandma?!"  This started when I only had a couple kids and DH was active duty, so I was always shopping with all the kids along.

I would rather chew glass than take all my children shopping.

If you have older kids, can they babysit while you go out? Mayne just take the youngest with you so it's easier for the babysitting child? I will take all my kids if I absolutely have to, but only for a quik trip into the store. If I have a lot of shopping to do, I wait until I don't habe to bring them.

Edited by DesertBlossom

My quick answer, since the dawn of having more than 3 kids = use 2 carts.  One in each baby seat, but also one in each of the back parts. 

The stuff you're buying goes in the trays underneath the carts.  I brought plastic Rubbermaid box-lids so that the tiny stuff wouldn't fall through.

And count down the days (years) until your 10yo will be old enough (& responsible enough, which is the main trigger) to stay home & babysit at least SOME of them!  :)  It does eventually, actually happen.

And quickly:  Sometimes the large family logistics are such that the dh isn't available for those long grocery treks into town (mine worked 30 min from home, in the opposite direction of the 30 min drive to our Aldi/Walmart).  Our kids actually have semi-fond memories of these mega trips.

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 1

One year I had seven kids under 10 (my own four plus neighbor's three I babysat after they got out of school) and if I needed to go to the store I had them pretend to be the Von Trapps and we sang songs from the movie as we manuvered our way through the grocery store. They held hands, too.  I am sure we were a sight to behold (and hear).  Those were my mini-van days, too (and in the middle seat two kids shared a seatbelt. I would NOT do that today!)

Am I the only one who actually LIKES taking the kids shopping? Our weekly shopping trip is something we all look forward to. Granted, I often have DH with me, but I can do it just as happily with just myself and the girls. Logistics are important so that everyone has a place to be and doesn't wander about lost, but, I'd not trade off leaving them at home for anything. But maybe that's just my personality, I enjoy it and, like Blsdmama said, take it slow.

I like going with kids, however, shopping trips when shopping for thirteen is just.... different. My weekly shopping list would be like your shopping for two families of five coming to stay with you for a week. ;) Think Thanksgiving week shopping when everybody and their brother is coming, lol. When we do our bi-weekly trips to Costco it generally means pushing two moderately full carts. I find I enjoy shopping with about four kids best. It gives me a helper and the ability to have conversations without having to be constantly conscious if we are in someone's way, or, in all seriousness, having to stop and have conversations about our family size. When we all go out, conversations with strangers can add up to an extra half hour of time, no kidding. You add in that Costco is about fifty minutes from our house and grocery shopping becomes a four hour adventure.... bound to upset naps for nappers, of which they are four. Then there is, "Let's get something to eat." Dollar menu for the whole family because I also have teens? About $35 if we order fries to share and waters. Lol, large family shopping requires a whole different set of logistics. :) The list is longer and the consequences for missing naptime is dreadful times four, lol.

Plus? My teens despise whole family trips to Costco. They will not only babysit, but make sure kids stay on schedule, house gets picked up, and throw chicken in the oven. Yeah, I rarely say no to that.

I love to take my "Quality Time" kids with me shopping. Often we disagree who gets to go because then it's more special to be just one kids who goes. But there was a period of about fourteen years when we did all shopping as family shopping.

• Like 3

I like going with kids, however, shopping trips when shopping for thirteen is just.... different. My weekly shopping list would be like your shopping for two families of five coming to stay with you for a week. ;) Think Thanksgiving week shopping when everybody and their brother is coming, lol. When we do our bi-weekly trips to Costco it generally means pushing two moderately full carts. I find I enjoy shopping with about four kids best. It gives me a helper and the ability to have conversations without having to be constantly conscious if we are in someone's way, or, in all seriousness, having to stop and have conversations about our family size. When we all go out, conversations with strangers can add up to an extra half hour of time, no kidding. You add in that Costco is about fifty minutes from our house and grocery shopping becomes a four hour adventure.... bound to upset naps for nappers, of which they are four. Then there is, "Let's get something to eat." Dollar menu for the whole family because I also have teens? About $35 if we order fries to share and waters. Lol, large family shopping requires a whole different set of logistics. :) The list is longer and the consequences for missing naptime is dreadful times four, lol.

Plus? My teens despise whole family trips to Costco. They will not only babysit, but make sure kids stay on schedule, house gets picked up, and throw chicken in the oven. Yeah, I rarely say no to that.

I love to take my "Quality Time" kids with me shopping. Often we disagree who gets to go because then it's more special to be just one kids who goes. But there was a period of about fourteen years when we did all shopping as family shopping.

This happens here too! My thing now is usually just taking one child when shopping because it's a great time to hang out, talk, and grab food together. 

Oh I definitely understand why you wouldn't want to take ALL of yours every week. I was more referring to the people who had 4-6 who don't want to take everyone shopping and said the OP should shop when DH can be home. 

Also, yes shopping is great for quality time. I remember fights over who got to go shopping with mum when I was a kid, for just that reason. 

• Like 2

When I had all 5 at home I'd have one of the oldest push a cart and so would I and the others either inside or hold onto the side of the cart . Had a sn bolter. He went INSIDE the cart n still tried to climb out lol.

I'd think maybe the same could hold true for ur kids ages. The 10 yo push a second cart and put the youngest inside with some very precariously placed food items around them.

Or better yet?....loved this one if for nothing else than the sheer wnjoymnt of laughing at him while I was gone....leave them home w dh?? ;) he he

And, oh, I didn't mention I was shopping for coffee along the way??

Baha. Sry. Humor keeps me going over here! :)

I didn't read the whole thread but sigh. That is such a tough stage. Hugs to you!

I rarely have to take little ones with me anymore but yesterday I had 5 ages 1,3,5, 7 and 10. I got all excited and chose to be pleasant. That really goes a long way. I told them about the "game" their older siblings played with me. Where they would get a treat for every compliment on their good behavior. But the trick was that just sorta good or average behavior wouldn't be noticed. They had to go above and beyond and be exceptional. They didn't believe me. Thought no one would comment. But they were amazing once we discussed the "rules" and guidelines. (Mostly involving staying near and lining up behind so as to avoid annoying others). The 2 littlest were in the cart BTW. Anyways it worked! They got a compliment on how good they were, I had a peaceful shopping trip with great helpers. (This was not for a bunch of groceries though. Only about 20 items. I just don't take them on the larger runs and did everything I could to avoid it when my olders were young also)

First, I try very hard to not take that many kids with me if possible.  Next, when my twins were 2 and under, I took a double stroller into the store w/ me all the time.  My others were just 4 and 6, so no one could push the cart or stroller.  I would push the stroller, pull the cart, and just kept the 4 and 6 year olds walking beside me, maybe letting them find the right item to put into the cart.  A stroller is easier to maneuver and more comfortable than a cart to sit in, so maybe put the 2 year olds in that, and have the 8 year old push.  I'd have the 10 year old be my runner-  run down the isles you only need a few things on, so you don't have to drag the whole circus down as many isles ;)  Now my youngest is 4, and I have 2 old enough to be runners.  I just tell them things to get, and stand at the isle until they get back.  I also leave the 10 or 12 year old (or both together) at the meat counter after I place my order, which saves a LOT of time.  One other advantage having toddlers in a stroller, no one is getting into the groceries or dropping things out of the cart. 

• Like 1

We would be eating floor sweepings and toaster shakings before I took 6 young children to the grocery store. 

I would most definitely be shopping without them. 

• Order what you can online - canned goods, cleaning products, toilet paper, toiletries, there is a TON of stuff you can order online. Walmart has free shipping on many items with a $50 order, Walgreens with $35, I am sure there are others. 
  • Shop early, shop late, even shop on weekends if you must, just shop when dh is home with the kids. 
  • Get on a schedule and buy ahead. If you run out of something, make do until the next trip. 

Shopping without them is based on the assumption that you aren't a single parent, or that someone else periodically has the kids. If that's not the case, I would be even more set on buying ahead and ordering online in order to minimize the number of trips needed. 

• Like 1

We would be eating floor sweepings and toaster shakings before I took 6 young children to the grocery store.

I would most definitely be shopping without them.

• Order what you can online - canned goods, cleaning products, toilet paper, toiletries, there is a TON of stuff you can order online. Walmart has free shipping on many items with a $50 order, Walgreens with $35, I am sure there are others.
  • Shop early, shop late, even shop on weekends if you must, just shop when dh is home with the kids.
  • Get on a schedule and buy ahead. If you run out of something, make do until the next trip.
Shopping without them is based on the assumption that you aren't a single parent, or that someone else periodically has the kids. If that's not the case, I would be even more set on buying ahead and ordering online in order to minimize the number of trips needed.

I tend to agree. If I need to go with 4 children we do, but generally we save it for after church with dh on Sundays so I have him entertain and I speed through and shop or I wait until he's off work and sometimes go in the evening or just send him. This was pretty standard when I have had a nursing newborn.

We do 2 carts or 1 cart and a stroller.  19 yo is at college, so never ever goes with us(even when he's home, lol)  13 yo pushes 4 yo. and 10 yo walks beside her. I push 2 yo and 8 year old walks beside.  I put most groceries in my cart.  Sometimes 13 yo will push 2 yo in stroller with 10 yo next to her and I have the cart with 4yo and 8 year old walks beside.  If it's a quick trip, I put 2 yo in the restraint and 4 yo in the basket.  8 yo walks beside and 10 and 13 yo walk behind and collect grocery items so i don't leave the cart with a child in the basket.

But, my favorite scenario:  dd13 stays home with them all and I go alone. :)