Menu

Do you own a cookie jar(s)?

SparklyUnicorn

Yes, but it has never stored cookies. 

My cookie jar is an antique from my granny and I absolutely love it for sentimental reasons. When moving I dropped it and shattered the top half. Dh still says he thinks I cried harder over that cookie jar than any other time he remembers me crying! I was so upset. Fast forward a couple of years later, and thankfully I had held onto the bottom half of the cookie jar, because my granny was at a flea market and found someone selling JUST the head to the exact same jar! Now it's complete again, yay! 

https://p2.liveauctioneers.com/602/10529/2463839_1_l.jpg

• Like 18

Nope. Mostly because I fail at making cookies. I can bake almost anything else, too. I can make a beautiful braided challah loaf. I can make pie with a lattice crust. I can make a layer cake with buttercream frosting. But for some reason, a decent chocolate chip cookie eludes me.  :sad:

• Like 2

No, but I could use one.  I also need a bread box.

I've never seen a cookie jar for sale, except for antique ones. I guess I could buy some random canister, but that isn't any fun.

I can't remember where I got either jar, but I was just looking at the strawberry one today and thinking huh, I can't remember the last time I saw cookie jars in the store for sale.  I wonder if they just aren't common anymore.

My younger kid baked cookies today.  I actually do sometimes use my cookie jars. 

• Like 1

Silly little question.  I have one shaped like a strawberry and one with Santa Clause. 

Mine is from the Depression.  It's made of green glass.  It was the cookie jar that I grew up with and my mom was kind enough to pass it down to me.  It also holds muffins.

• Like 2

No, I never had one. We like soft cookies so when I bake, I keep them in a rubbermaid container with a slice of bread to keep them soft. Then a day later I was the empty container. 

For those who haven't seen one for sale recently: Pioneer Woman has a new line of kitchen stuff at Walmart and one item is a cookie jar shaped like one of her dogs.   So I guess they are still a thing. 

• Like 2

No, I never had one. We like soft cookies so when I bake, I keep them in a rubbermaid container with a slice of bread to keep them soft. Then a day later I was the empty container.

For those who haven't seen one for sale recently: Pioneer Woman has a new line of kitchen stuff at Walmart and one item is a cookie jar shaped like one of her dogs. So I guess they are still a thing.

Cookies don't last long at your house, either, eh?

To answer the OP, I do have a cookie jar, a large glass square one that says "Cookies" on it. It belonged to one of DH's grandmothers. I rarely use it, though. Most of the time, if I bake cookies, it's because we need to take some to an event, so I use a plastic box for storage and transport, or it's Christmas, so I store the cookies in my collection of metal Christmas tins.

ETA: My people like cookies, though, and I have a lot of good recipes, and some boys who need to learn to be handy in the kitchen (DD already bakes well). Methinks I will put them on the task of baking cookies. What girl won't love a man who can bake cookies?

• Like 1

My cookie jar is an antique from my granny and I absolutely love it for sentimental reasons. When moving I dropped it and shattered the top half. Dh still says he thinks I cried harder over that cookie jar than any other time he remembers me crying! I was so upset. Fast forward a couple of years later, and thankfully I had held onto the bottom half of the cookie jar, because my granny was at a flea market and found someone selling JUST the head to the exact same jar! Now it's complete again, yay!

I just looked at your link. That is my grandmother's cookie jar. I never knew anyone else who had it.

• Like 2

I have two. One is a a 30 plus year old strawberry shaped one I got from my daughters on Mother's Day. I don't bake as often as I did the girls were young, so,it doesn't hold cookies very often.

The other one is 62 years old and it was a wedding gift to my parents. It was the cookie jar in the counter all thru my child hood, I have had it over twenty years in my kitchen . I use it for utensils next to my stove.

It is green and has the three blind mice on it.

• Like 2

I had one once, but it didn't seal well and the cookies just got stale within a day.  My MIL has a couple of cookie jars but hers don't seal well either, and she doesn't actually use them.  So, I don't really get the point.

When I make cookies, I seal 2 days' worth in an airtight rubbermaid container and freeze the rest.

• Like 2

I can't remember where I got either jar, but I was just looking at the strawberry one today and thinking huh, I can't remember the last time I saw cookie jars in the store for sale. I wonder if they just aren't common anymore.

I bought one for my dd 3 years ago at tjmaxx.

I have salt and pepper shakers from my grandma that nearly match your cookie jar! So cool your granny was able to find the head!

• Like 2

Who stole the cookies from the cookie jar?

Dennis stole the cookies from the cookie jar!

Who, me?

Yes, you!

Couldn't be!

Then who?

Georgia

Georgia stole the cookies from the cookie jar!

(One of our favorite jingles about cookie jars. Fun to do as a group.)

• Like 3

I have been given a couple of Christmas ones as gifts over the years, but they all went away since I don't use them.  

I put cookies on a plate covered in saran wrap in the plate cupboard.  They are out of sight/out of mind from the little kids, but everyone else knows they are there and eat them up. 

I have my grandmother's Little Red Riding Hood cookie jar, and I love it. But I don't keep cookies in it. My dad remembers that he and his sister bought it for Gram for her birthday one year. He was around age six, so the cookie jar is 75 years old. When my grandmother died, it is the one thing of hers that I requested.

• Like 1

No, no cookie jars, only tins or plastic Tupperware type containers. I especially like to use tins; they look charming and homey and then I can use my favorite Brittish colloquialism and call it a biscuit tin.

• Like 2

Here's my green glass Depression cookie jar: http://indulgy.com/post/B7MYZZFMO1/green-depression-glass-cookie-jar 

I don't care that I rarely make cookies or that I generally abhor knick-knacks, I love this cookie jar.  Probably because I remember it being filled with my mom's baking - bran muffins, chocolate chip cookies, mud pie cookies, etc.  

• Like 2

I had one once, but it didn't seal well and the cookies just got stale within a day.  My MIL has a couple of cookie jars but hers don't seal well either, and she doesn't actually use them.  So, I don't really get the point.

When I make cookies, I seal 2 days' worth in an airtight rubbermaid container and freeze the rest.

This is why I don't use a cookie jar.  I love the looks of them, and I love the idea, but gosh, I hate stale cookies!

We put cookies in gallon ziplocs or a few larger rubbermaid-like containers if I've made a quantity. 

• Like 2

I have 2 cookie jars.  One is shaped like a bear and the other like a canister made out of flowers.  They are both pretty ugly, both were made by my MIL who was so bored of being a housewife she took every craft class available to get away from the kids.  The bear holds onions & the other holds individually packaged snacks that the kids know they can help themselves to at snack time.

I keep them because my dh & his siblings remember how much their mother hated being a stay-at-home mom and I want my kids to know how much I love being at home with them, even when it is difficult.  Seeing these cookie jars daily and using them helps me remember to let my kids know how much I enjoy my life at home with them.

Amber in SJ

PS:  the cookie jars are all I kept.  I did not keep the drunken leprechauns or the hillbilly family making their way by lantern to the outhouse (Ma, Pa, Sister, Brother and the hound dog all in nightgowns or long johns complete with sagging bum flaps.)    I even passed on the 3 foot tall bunny rabbit that was dressed in a lime green coat and painted with the most evil, demonic face I had ever seen.  Both my girls used to scream when they saw it.

• Like 1