Menu

Bloooooood Moooooooooon!

unsinkable

I'm so sad.. it's supposed to be overcast all night. No blood moon for us.

We have a clearing around the moon here at our house...if we can keep it going a while, we'll be golden.

• Like 1

The moon hasn't risen here yet.  

and the sun is still quite shiny . . . .

after dinner we're going to head where we should be able to see it rise in the east.  eastgate p&r garage looks promising for a low horizon eastern view.

midpoint of totality is 7:47 pdt.

We have some clouds but there are enough breaks in them that we can see the moon sometims. I'm reading a book outside until the moon is completely eclipsed and then I'm off to bed. I'm glad to finally get an evening eclipse in this tetrad after getting up much too early for the other three.

This moon is driving me crazy already. Forecast says "partially cloudy, 45% cloud cover" for all times between 9pm and midnight. Current conditions say "95% cloud cover". 45%, 95%, what's the difference? At least I occasionally can get a glimpse of the moon (I've gone outside a few times; will stay outside longer when it's closer to 22:47. Feeling tired; already took the kid's to family day at the Y earlier today. Kids are tired, and nagging, and all that not fun stuff. I said something yesterday about today doing the 2nd part of the glow stick lab someone gave C for his birthday (we did the first part a week ago), but I'm feeling too frazzled.

At least the kids are young enough that the next one isn't too long from now. I mentioned the blood moon to my MIL, and suggested she watch it, because 2033 is a stretch for her (she's in her 70s).

This moon is driving me crazy already. Forecast says "partially cloudy, 45% cloud cover" for all times between 9pm and midnight. Current conditions say "95% cloud cover". 45%, 95%, what's the difference? At least I occasionally can get a glimpse of the moon (I've gone outside a few times

Spoke too soon. Apparently they meant 95% cloud cover half the time is about 45% cloud cover overall, or something. Clear sky now except to the north. I knew that there was wind from the south, but it was only 4mph. I guess that was enough though. :)

We are in total cloud now, but DS and I were able to see it from half-moon until it was just a little sliver left. dD just called me from college; she can see it! #geekplay #stuffhomeschoolersdo

• Like 1

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh, homeschooling at its finest. Kids cuddled up in blankets on the deck with every pair of binoculars we own, the moon map, NASA youtubes, and hot tea. Texting astronomy friends to find out if China sees the same face of the moon that the USA does (confirming: it does). 

And a 1-hour school delay on the morrow.

Bliss.

• Like 3

My 3 year old nephew just said: "Oh! The moon will go away and then fire will come down!" 
Which is pretty creepy since everyone is predicting the end of the world. :/ 

Also, when is it a blood moon? I guess I was expecting a reddish tint, but it's been pretty white this whole time. 

ETA: Never mind. I see a red tint now. :) 

• Like 1

My 3 year old nephew just said: "Oh! The moon will go away and then fire will come down!" 

Which is pretty creepy since everyone is predicting the end of the world. :/ 

Also, when is it a blood moon? I guess I was expecting a reddish tint, but it's been pretty white this whole time. 

We wondered the same thing and looked it up: the red is just the coppery-brown color that the earth's shadow casts on the moon. It's from the warping that our atmosphere does to visible light (a rookie's understanding).

• Like 1

We wondered the same thing and looked it up: the red is just the coppery-brown color that the earth's shadow casts on the moon. It's from the warping that our atmosphere does to visible light (a rookie's understanding).

Yeah, I was expecting more of the red moons that have happened lately, not when it was totally eclipsed. That was my misunderstanding. 

• Like 1

It's pretty cloudy here, but we lucked out and saw the eclipse through a temporary opening in the clouds.  Then thick clouds and we could see nothing.  I'll check again in a bit.

I let the kids stay up 45 minutes extra on the theory that this was a science lesson.  :P  Though they spent most of the time pretending to beat each other up.

I feel that the plural of apocalypse should be a more impressive word, don't you?

We coined the phrase "Eclipse Delay" at our house tonight. Heh.

It should be, however, I guess one doesn't often refer to multiple apocalypses. Apocalypsi. There. That's better.

• Like 3