Menu

Please help me find a show to watch on Netflix

aaplank

I am recovering from major surgery and have to lay low for a few weeks. I am desperately trying to find a tv show to watch to kill time. I am really hoping for a long running binge-worthy program.

I'm kinda in a funk and feeling a bit down and lonely so watching something too traumatic and violent is not something I can do right now, i.e. Breaking Bad. I also don't want the show to be too frivolous and stupid.

Is there any shows like Parenthood or Gilmore Girls that you could recommend? I appreciate the help.

Blue Bloods is a police drama. Tom Selleck is the commissioner of the NYPD, and his family are all involved in the biz in some capacity or another. Good, close family, nice depiction of happy marriages (so rare on TV).

I enjoyed Bomb Girls as well. There are several seasons and then a wrap-up episode. Factory girls in Canada during WWII.

Call the Midwife. (Duh.)

Longmire is my current favorite. Wyoming sheriff. Lots of 80s actors show up. Love it.

• Like 3

DH and I had great fun watching Parks and Rec together.  Warning: the final season is not yet up on Netflix but it should be soon.  It reminded me of sort of a modern Mary Tyler Moore show, which my mom loved, and I grew up watching. It is mostly heartwarming, but not frivolous and we really came to adore the characters.  Every single character adds something to the show, even if they are only on for a few mins. 

We also loved Frankie and Grace. It is a "dramedy", so a serious comedy or a funny drama, lol.  Lilly Tomlin, Jane Fonda... it's great.

And have you seen The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt? It is a Tina Fey produced show and was pretty good.

And yes, The West Wing is great.

• Like 4

I'm watching Rita. It's a Danish program about a deeply flawed, but extremely compelling high school teacher. It's all about her relationships, with her teenage children, her coworkers, her students, their parents... It's a comedy, but there is a lot of drama and some really phenomenal acting. The plots are sometimes a bit forced, but the individual characters are pretty believable. Three seasons, good stuff. And some very attractive Danish men...

• Like 4

Korean dramas? They're so fun.

The Great Doctor or Secret Garden are good ones.

:iagree: We started with The Great Doctor based on a recommendation from these boards and thoroughly enjoyed it.  We are now watching Gu Family Book (very good) and Boys Over Flowers (not sure yet).

You have to be ok with reading subtitles though.

• Like 1

I'm watching Rita. It's a Danish program about a deeply flawed, but extremely compelling high school teacher. It's all about her relationships, with her teenage children, her coworkers, her students, their parents... It's a comedy, but there is a lot of drama and some really phenomenal acting. The plots are sometimes a bit forced, but the individual characters are pretty believable. Three seasons, good stuff. And some very attractive Danish men...

I have Rita in my queue.  Thanks for the thumbs up, maybe I'll finally get to it next.

I have Rita in my queue.  Thanks for the thumbs up, maybe I'll finally get to it next.

Just make sure there are no kids within eye or ear shot ;)

There's also a spin-off, Hjordis.

• Like 4

Frasier if you're in the mood for comedy. I had forgotten how funny that show was. Watched the whole series, 1 episode most nights and it lasted me a looooong time!

How I Met Your Mother

Eureka

Good Eats and Chopped are on there now too I think.

Hope your recovery goes smoothly!

• Like 2

I love Gilmore Girls too!

Dh and I just finished White Collar. It is fantastic. Witty, upbeat, enough drama to keep interest, good plot and characters, and fairly clean (no crude humor, very mild rare swearing, just a bit of insinuated teA in later seasons). Plus I'm pretty sure my 4 year old *is* Neal Caffrey just shorter, lol!

• Like 2

Crossing Jordan (crime drama, and having lived in Boston as a newlywed, I have a fondness for it)

Switched at Birth (the first three seasons are on Netflix, although I thought the first couple were the best)

Blue Bloods (crime drama, not generally too gory, still waiting for the fifth season to come to Netflix)

Lipstick Jungle (fluff -- I think it's on Netflix)

Women's Murder Club (more crime drama -- not sure if it's on Netflix or not)

Call the Midwife

Sherlock

Army Wives (the last couple of seasons were a little fluffier, but it was still interesting)

I'm just about to finish the fourth season of White Collar. More crime drama, but not gory. Murder is rare. It's dramatic and funny, and it's nice to see Tiffani Thiessen and Sharif Atkins in new and different roles. I'm very much enjoying both the individual episodes and the long-running background mysteries and will be sorry to see it finished. And like imagine.more, I appreciate that it's pretty clean and not generally crude. (Of course, my favorite is Rizzoli & Isles, so maybe I'm just appreciating White Collar because it's not murder, but WC and Blue Bloods too are both pretty clean.). No idea what I'll pick next, so I'll be watching this thread.

• Like 1

I love, love, love Rita. Engrossing, but agree with poster down thread about keeping kids away from it. And the spin off, Hjordis, is good too. Btw, I read about Danish schools online -- kids really do call teachers by their first names, and parents have a lot of control.

Another Danish series I love is Dicte. Dicte is a detective, but the crimes are not portrayed too graphically. What I like about Dicte is that she is divorced, has a teenage daughter and great friends, and is in her middle years. I am so tired of American shows about twenty somethings.

Gosh, I have seen an astonishing number of the shows mentioned. Great suggestions.

Another Danish series I love is Dicte. Dicte is a detective, but the crimes are not portrayed too graphically. What I like about Dicte is that she is divorced, has a teenage daughter and great friends, and is in her middle years. I am so tired of American shows about twenty somethings.

Gosh, I have seen an astonishing number of the shows mentioned. Great suggestions.

I wanted to love Dicte. The actress was great in High Fidelity. Somehow I couldn't get through the first episode. Should I try again? Does it gain momentum? I love Scandinavian television, I wish there was more on Netflix.

• Like 2

Bones - forensics - could be a bit gruesome?

Criminal Minds - profiling criminals - definitely twisted, but I throw it out there for others following

Suits - lawyer drama

Psych - "psychic" crime show

White Collar - crime

Chuck - inexperienced spy

We also did the first bit of House, Grey's Anatomy, Ugly Betty, Royal Pains...

I wanted to love Dicte. The actress was great in High Fidelity. Somehow I couldn't get through the first episode. Should I try again? Does it gain momentum? I love Scandinavian television, I wish there was more on Netflix.

Well, I liked Dicte from the first episode, so that is not much of a help. I am trying to remember how much of the first episode was about her mother and father? In any case, the parents barely made another appearance in the rest of the series.

Agree with you about Scandinavian TV. If you find anything else you like, pls recommend here!

West Wing, mentioned by someone else is excellent.

Is the Canadian police show Flashpoint on Netflix? It sometimes has emotional story lines, but isn't violent, and the characters are likeable and scenarios are very well conceived and thought provoking.

• Like 1

Well, I liked Dicte from the first episode, so that is not much of a help. I am trying to remember how much of the first episode was about her mother and father? In any case, the parents barely made another appearance in the rest of the series.

Agree with you about Scandinavian TV. If you find anything else you like, pls recommend here!

I really enjoyed The Protectors.  I wasn't sure after the first episode but it really grew on me.

• Like 1

Since no one mentioned it, Friday Night Lights was good. So many moments I teared up from the feel-good aspects that sports shows can do!

Someone else mentioned it above. I read about it on a blog recently too. It keeps popping up. Maybe DH will watch it w/ me.

Some of these were mentioned already, but:

Doc Martin

Midsomer Murders

SHERLOCK!!!

The IT Crowd (a bit racy at times, British show you know, but I  :001_wub: Moss. And Roy!)

Rosemary & Thyme for a slow paced, British version of Murder She Wrote

White Collar

Criminal Minds (three hunky guys on there, but it is too dark for me!)

NCIS 

The Office (perhaps both versions, but I saw the US version first and love Jim, so prefer it)

Lots of old TV shows: Cheers, Frasier, M*A*S*H

I loved the first season of Broadchurch, but it had a disturbing plot. Still it hooked me right away. David Tenant is in it. And Jodie Whitaker. And Olivia Colman. 

Oh, and there are episodes of Alton Brown and Pioneer Woman on Netflix too.