Menu

Are homeschoolers just odd ducks?

SparklyUnicorn

Yep, someone once told me that they were worried about my child not being forced to deal with peer pressure and bullies. :confused1: Okay, then, I'll be sure to bully her a bit every day to toughen her up.

This t-shirt cracks me up, but I don't think I'd have the nerve to wear it.

Yes, I have fielded that comment before. I said, "Well, I was teased and bullied, but I did not learn to cope with it. In fact, I am still abnormally sensitive about certain things." The person pondered my remark and her face said, "hmmm. That's true."

• Like 10

I've thought about this from time to time.  I do think that, as homeschoolers, we are people who are not afraid to go against the tide, march to our own drummers, be the "odd ducks", etc.  On the other hand, I can't figure out which came first, i.e., were we odd ducks to begin with, and is that why we homeschool?  Or did we become odd ducks because we homeschool?  The "oddness" seems to permeate all other areas of our lives in different ways.  Sometimes, for instance, when I question something (unrelated to homeschooling), friends look at me, horrified that I should be questioning that particular thing at all.   I've realized that it's just who I am.  I don't accept something just because other people do.  So, I dunno.  The answer for me is:  yes, homeschoolers are odd ducks.  Or at least I am.  But maybe it's because I'm just odd.

• Like 6

Shoot even among most of the home schoolers I know, and I know many, I'm the odd duck because I home school for academic reasons not religious. I'm also odd because I don't want school desks for my kids, their hand me down Abeka stuff, or to join their co-op. If I did have my huge family's support and understanding I would likely be quite lonely irl in regards to schooling choice

Preach it, neighbor. I just keep my mouth shut about certain topics when we're doing Science Olympiad things.

• Like 5

I have found that the best way to avoid the unflattering comments about homeschooling is to speak very authoritatively and firmly (with a big smile) from the very first time a person asks about it.

One of my friends has had a hard time dealing with people saying mean and hurtful things to her about hsing, but she is a very sweet and soft-spoken person and I think people view that as a weakness they can use against her. The interesting thing is that some of the same people who make the snarky comments to her have never said anything negative to me. My friend swears it's because I seem more confident than she does, so people don't want to mess with me. I am certainly no smarter than my friend and she is probably a far more patient teacher than I am, so I really think it's all in the way we present ourselves to others. Her mom raised her to be sweet and respectful and to try to never offend anyone. My mom raised me to be The One in Charge, and I think it makes a huge difference in the amount of respect we receive from other people.

So I think we can all be odd ducks, if we own it and don't apologize for it.

Be proud and stand tall, my fellow odd ducks!!! :D

Exactly.

My response to "where does she go to school?" is to say in a matter-of-fact way "actually, we homeschool and have since she was in fifth grade" with a pleasant look on my face.

The only negative comment I have ever received about homeschooling was from the principal of dd's former school. She wanted to know how on earth I would manage to learn enough to teach all the different subjects. I may have mentioned a PhD and how I was more qualified to teach at her school than most of the teachers ;)

• Like 11

I've never been a march to my own drummer person. I was vocally opposed to homeschooling (for myself). Then I got a kid who is severely allergic to all the foods "normal" kids live on (dairy, egg, peanut, tree nut). I was forced to go against the norm to keep him alive as a toddler. That's when homeschooling started looking mighty appealing. Once we started and I broke against the public school norm I discovered I do like having my own drummer. :)

• Like 10

I'm an odd duck married to an odd duck and together we've raised 5 odd duck children.  The oldest two have said they are following in our odd duck tendencies and will be homeschooling my odd duck grandchildren.

A proud member of the Odd Duck Community

• Like 15

I have found that the best way to avoid the unflattering comments about homeschooling is to speak very authoritatively and firmly (with a big smile) from the very first time a person asks about it.

One of my friends has had a hard time dealing with people saying mean and hurtful things to her about hsing, but she is a very sweet and soft-spoken person and I think people view that as a weakness they can use against her. The interesting thing is that some of the same people who make the snarky comments to her have never said anything negative to me. My friend swears it's because I seem more confident than she does, so people don't want to mess with me. I am certainly no smarter than my friend and she is probably a far more patient teacher than I am, so I really think it's all in the way we present ourselves to others. Her mom raised her to be sweet and respectful and to try to never offend anyone. My mom raised me to be The One in Charge, and I think it makes a huge difference in the amount of respect we receive from other people.

So I think we can all be odd ducks, if we own it and don't apologize for it.

Be proud and stand tall, my fellow odd ducks!!! :D

Yup, speak with authority about your own choices and situation and act like you belong - most people don't have the guts to question someone who looks, sounds, and acts totally comfortable with their life decisions :)

Sparkly, our marriage counselor seems to think that homeschooling means that I am trying to be some kind of SUPER-MOM! But the weird kind. I just ignore her because the other stuff she says is pretty valuable.

Most other people I encounter don't have a problem with homeschooling, but I sometimes get the same response that Tibby wrote about: I'm the "right" kind of homeschooler. All the other ones are strange or don't know what they're doing. :001_rolleyes: Obviously, they haven't met enough homeschoolers.

I've gotten, on more than one occasion and from different people: "You're the only person I know who homeschools who's smart enough to do it." I'm not sure what to make of that. It seems like a backhanded compliment to me -- you mean you basically think homeschooling is insane, but you're willing to make an exception for me? How thoughtful of you.

I've always been an odd (& happi) duck!

Most people I talk to don't understand homeschooling. Homeschoolers I know don't understand what I believe or my teaching style/philosophy.

I don't feel like I fit in anywhere...I thought I'd find my niche with homeschooling or church...but.no.

Odd ducks unite!

That's been my experience too. We are religious but don't homeschool for religious reasons (most people assume we do and the religious ones look down their noses when I turn down Abeka and Apologia). We have extremely high academic standards. Hence my daily lurking on the boards. At least we've got each other!

ETA: Not meaning to imply that Abeka and Apologia are not strong academically. I just prefer to impart values and worldview by means other than curricula. That's the part most of my religious homeschooling friends don't get.

• Like 5

I've gotten, on more than one occasion and from different people: "You're the only person I know who homeschools who's smart enough to do it." I'm not sure what to make of that. It seems like a backhanded compliment to me -- you mean you basically think homeschooling is insane, but you're willing to make an exception for me? How thoughtful of you.

Stuff like that deserves "I'm sorry you know stupid people. That must be a hassle."

:laugh:

• Like 19

Yep, my best friend says I am the most qualified person in the world to homeschool, but all you other homeschoolers really need better regulation and supervision, because, don't you realize, getting a girlfriend/boyfriend in middle school is the epitome of socialization and you're depriving your children of that!  :huh:

I think it is that people are afraid of anything which they can't relate to. I've actually engaged in the socialization argument since, having been homeschooled, I wonder what they think I missed out on. What it comes down to is they had a certain set of experiences, some good some bad, but that was theirs. And almost everyone they know had the SAME set of experiences (because they met them through similar channels). They see all the things they did that my kids wont do, but they can't imagine, or even have a frame of reference to comprehend, what my kids WILL do that they didn't. It's like they imagine my children will have no childhood memories, because they can't grasp the idea of my children having DIFFERENT ones when the majority of society have the same. 

As for bullying, I was bullied, severely. I should have amazing character and self-actualization right? Nevermind the mental health issues I have which were contributed to by bullying. And what about those popular kids? Someone needs to hurry up and bully them or they'll never be functional adults! Or those tiny country schools where everyone knows everyone, they should simply be shut down!

• Like 8

We were always odd, ds was doomed before birth. Homeschooling allowed to be ourselves. 

Ds has a much greater sense of self worth at 17 than I have at 48. Seriously, I still struggle with it, especially being back in a school environment. 

I do think homeschooling allows kids to explore themselves in a safe environment before being jettisoned into  the world. I'm not talking about isolation and socialization. I'm talking about being able to wear plaids and stripes together if so desired, dying your hair blue, wearing pjs all day, having long hair for guys. There are so many rules on attire at our high school, it's a wonder some kids find ways to express themselves. I love that part of college, you see it all. My campus is very casual and I love seeing the diversity in fashion alone. 

Yes that is how I see it.  I like the freedom it affords us to be ourselves and explore things on our terms.

• Like 1

Perhaps we're odd ducks for homeschoolers.  I don't think we're all that different from any of our friends or neighbors who go to public school.  But I don't really spend any time trying to analyze them or their home life.  I teach every year at summer camp and I relate equally well with the kids who go to public school and homeschool.  We are quirky and have some quirky interests but aren't people in general rather quirky?  My kids know the latest celebrities and songs and t.v. shows..  One of them is more interested than the other but both know about them.  They also know old celebrities (ie. historical figures) and songs and even t.v. or radio shows.  ;)  

• Like 3

Perhaps we're odd ducks for homeschoolers.  I don't think we're all that different from any of our friends or neighbors who go to public school.  But I don't really spend any time trying to analyze them or their home life.  I teach every year at summer camp and I relate equally well with the kids who go to public school and homeschool.  We are quirky and have some quirky interests but aren't people in general rather quirky?  My kids know the latest celebrities and songs and t.v. shows..  One of them is more interested than the other but both know about them.  They also know old celebrities (ie. historical figures) and songs and even t.v. or radio shows.   ;)

I feel like people try to analyze me for what I do.  LOL

Yep, someone once told me that they were worried about my child not being forced to deal with peer pressure and bullies. :confused1: Okay, then, I'll be sure to bully her a bit every day to toughen her up.

This t-shirt cracks me up, but I don't think I'd have the nerve to wear it.

My sons' music teacher (and the mother of one of our closest friends) homeschooled all 4 of her boys and says that when people asked her what she did to socialize her kids she said, "oh that's easy, I just corner them in the bathroom at least weekly and shake them down for their lunch money." :P

Whatever she did worked out ok. She's got 4 out of 4 college graduates, 3 with advanced degrees. 1 SAHD and community volunteer (wife works in academia), 1 working journalist (no mean feat these days), 1 librarian and 1 tech worker.

I roll my eyes at the idea that somehow my son would be well served by serving as shark bait in our public school.

• Like 11

Yep, someone once told me that they were worried about my child not being forced to deal with peer pressure and bullies. :confused1: Okay, then, I'll be sure to bully her a bit every day

This I do not get. Every public school I know of has some sort of anti bullying campaign, yet so many people seem to think that my kids need to be bullied to know what life is like in "the real world". Nevermind the fact that true bullying, in the adult world, gets the bully a restraining order or put in jail. But kids need to go to school to learn how to survive bullying?

It hurts my head.

• Like 6

If I ever say anything to my mom about homeschooling, she tells me to call the hotline.  You know the one, the homeschool hotline.

You have SWB's personal phone number? 

:huh:

I get accused of reading too much. 

Silly accusation. There's no such thing.

I haven't felt bothered until fairly recently.  I do think the comments are getting to me.  I am trying to figure out how to respond or if I just let that roll off. 

Well, since we're ducks water rolls right off our backs. So....

I will caution you all about college. Ds has now attended for two days. His biggest complaint (besides the getting up early thing) is that there is a lot of walking. So, before college you might want to strap a twenty-pound backpack onto your child and make them march around the block a time or two. I overheard one girl mentioned she weighed her backpack when full and it was 15 pounds. 

Well, I make my eldest walk the dog each morning. Is 8:30-9ish early enough or should I get him up earlier? I can insist he wear his backpack with all his books in it. Another idea...I can have him put the cat in the backpack carrier and walk both pets at the same time. Would that cover it? :D

Yep, someone once told me that they were worried about my child not being forced to deal with peer pressure and bullies.  :confused1:  Okay, then, I'll be sure to bully her a bit every day to toughen her up. 

This t-shirt cracks me up, but I don't think I'd have the nerve to wear it.

Love that shirt

Yes, I'm odd, but I embrace it. What really throws people for a loop is if they find out I'm an atheist homeschooler. Talk about being an odd duck! 

• Like 7

Perhaps we're odd ducks for homeschoolers.  I don't think we're all that different from any of our friends or neighbors who go to public school.  But I don't really spend any time trying to analyze them or their home life.  I teach every year at summer camp and I relate equally well with the kids who go to public school and homeschool.  We are quirky and have some quirky interests but aren't people in general rather quirky?  My kids know the latest celebrities and songs and t.v. shows..  One of them is more interested than the other but both know about them.  They also know old celebrities (ie. historical figures) and songs and even t.v. or radio shows.   ;)

Ditto. I feel like we're a mostly regular family who chooses a different educational path.

But mention homeschooling, and all of a sudden you can see the wheels start to turn, and perfect strangers think they can start speculating about my abilities and my kids' social skills and trying to figure out why we're so weird. :P

• Like 3

Yes, I do. I think anyone who steps out of the formula of what is 'good', 'correct', and 'expected' is odd.  People have a hard time having an independent thought nowadays. I'm in military circles again after being away from this environment for 5 years and I'm still amazed at how awestruck people are by homeschooling.These people move constantly!!

I don't feel so much like a radical while living my life day to day, but people have a really hard time grasping it. It can very frustrating and awkward to be sitting around a group of moms griping about school, networking about, "Oh, did Susie have Mrs. S last year??" chatter and the PTO meetings stuff blah blah blah. It's boring and pretty much excludes me from having any kind of thoughtful input into the conversation. 

The homeschoolers I've met are all deeply religious, only eat food made by vegan unicorns or the most judgmental mean girls imaginable. Or a nice mix of all three ;) You all are the only normies I've met who homeschool and get my life. I'm deeply misunderstood in day to day life. :)

• Like 1

This I do not get. Every public school I know of has some sort of anti bullying campaign, yet so many people seem to think that my kids need to be bullied to know what life is like in "the real world". Nevermind the fact that true bullying, in the adult world, gets the bully a restraining order or put in jail. But kids need to go to school to learn how to survive bullying?

It hurts my head.

I know, right? Logic isn't a strong suit of the public, it seems.

That's been my experience too. We are religious but don't homeschool for religious reasons (most people assume we do and the religious ones look down their noses when I turn down Abeka and Apologia). We have extremely high academic standards. Hence my daily lurking on the boards. At least we've got each other!

ETA: Not meaning to imply that Abeka and Apologia are not strong academically. I just prefer to impart values and worldview by means other than curricula. That's the part most of my religious homeschooling friends don't get.

I'll join you in the religious-but-not-why-we-homeschool club.

I live in an area with a lot of HSers and it's not such an odd choice here. I'm the odd duck who makes her kids learn Latin and sentence diagramming. I live amongst a lot of, if not outright unschoolers, homeschoolers who are very relaxed about academic standards.

• Like 2

Guest Debbiedid

I think some of the lack of understanding of homeschooling has to do with how our culture views children in general.  I have 4 children and homeschool and I have been told on many occasions that I am a 'glutton for punishment'.  It makes me sad that we view spending time with our own children in that manner.  Yes, it's difficult, but what, that's worth doing, isn't?  *steps off soapbox* 

My kids are odd ducks. But, especially with my older son, that is WHY he is homeschooled, not because he is homeschooled, lol.

Exactly. Dh and I stand out, especially where we live. Our kids take after us . ;)

Shoot even among most of the home schoolers I know, and I know many, I'm the odd duck because I home school for academic reasons not religious. I'm also odd because I don't want school desks for my kids, their hand me down Abeka stuff, or to join their co-op. If I did have my huge family's support and understanding I would likely be quite lonely irl in regards to schooling choice

Our area is thin on homeschoolers and most of those have, let's say, lower expectations than I do. When a group of ladies found out I give tests you could have heard a pin drop. I am odd, even among the odd.

My two who have gone back to PS are kind of shocked by the studenys lower standards frankly and that is in dual credit/AP classes. I guess that proves we are odd in any venue.

Our area is thin on homeschoolers and most of those have, let's say, lower expectations than I do. When a group of ladies found out I give tests you could have heard a pin drop. I am odd, even among the odd.

Oh yeah, and then there is that.  I tend to avoid talking about the details of homeschooling with other homeschoolers because I seem to be different in that department too.

• Like 3

Yes. People think I am an absolute freak. I am amazed at how compliant other people's minds are, about everything. They just go along, like being a little too different would be the biggest disaster in the world....happy to keep climbing over others to try to reach the top of the inside of their made up cage. IMO it is school social survival thinking. My mind has never been a fit for that box. I don't want to fit in and I'm not afraid to be outside the mind-pen. Courage ! It's not so bad out here. People talk, but I'm way over that. Life is much more interesting out here.

However, I don't fit in with many other homeschool folks either. We stay home and do school, and extra activities are with the rest of the world during the after school or evening hours. I have met homeschool folks who would never consider this because it's too mainstream. Look, another box ! They are everywhere.

• Like 6

I'll join you in the religious-but-not-why-we-homeschool club.

I live in an area with a lot of HSers and it's not such an odd choice here. I'm the odd duck who makes her kids learn Latin and sentence diagramming. I live amongst a lot of, if not outright unschoolers, homeschoolers who are very relaxed about academic standards.

You can come over here and we'll be odd ducks together!! Latin-learners and sentence-diagrammers, unite!!

:lol:

• Like 4

It hurts my head.

I have a theory on this.   People's mind will bend to match what they do.  Those that would send their child to public school, even if the child was being bullied and even if they could homeschool if they wanted, they have to justify it in their minds.  So either they horrible people and parents for sending their kid into danger, or being bullied is good for kids.  Admitting to yourself that you are a poophead is unthinkable, so therefore being bullied must be good.  

• Like 8

You can come over here and we'll be odd ducks together!! Latin-learners and sentence-diagrammers, unite!!

:lol:

Dd did her first itty-bitty sentence diagram this week.  I felt that we had joined a long and venerable tradition!  (ETA my sentences; they disappeared!)

• Like 2

It's too bad that homeschooling isn't as common everywhere as it is here (Houston area).  Homeschoolers are EVERYWHERE here!  EVERYWHERE!  I knew there was a huge homeschooling community here, but I have been blown away at how many I have met in our everyday activities.  And we do not use ANY of the homeschooling services/opportunities/coops/groups/etc.  We simply don't have time.  :)

When I get the "Oh, I could never do that" comment, I respond, "You would be surprised at what you are capable of."   :coolgleamA:

• Like 2

Yeah, I think a lot are.  There are some social groups where it is common or expected, but most of the time it means thinking about not bothering with what is one of our largest and most ubiquitous social institutions.  Whether you do it because you want to keep your kids home, or because the school is a problem, stepping out of that requires a certain perspective.

I used to think that it was a fairly easy thing to do, because I found it easy, but I've come to realize that for many people, it isn't.  And I don't think it is always or usually that they are unwilling - it is more that they can't step away from one perspective to try out another. 

• Like 1

I think it is that people are afraid of anything which they can't relate to. I've actually engaged in the socialization argument since, having been homeschooled, I wonder what they think I missed out on. What it comes down to is they had a certain set of experiences, some good some bad, but that was theirs. And almost everyone they know had the SAME set of experiences (because they met them through similar channels). They see all the things they did that my kids wont do, but they can't imagine, or even have a frame of reference to comprehend, what my kids WILL do that they didn't. It's like they imagine my children will have no childhood memories, because they can't grasp the idea of my children having DIFFERENT ones when the majority of society have the same. 

I think this is exactly the situation with my in-laws.

It's too bad that homeschooling isn't as common everywhere as it is here (Houston area).  Homeschoolers are EVERYWHERE here!  EVERYWHERE!  I knew there was a huge homeschooling community here, but I have been blown away at how many I have met in our everyday activities.  And we do not use ANY of the homeschooling services/opportunities/coops/groups/etc.  We simply don't have time.   :)

When I get the "Oh, I could never do that" comment, I respond, "You would be surprised at what you are capable of."   :coolgleamA:

We're in the Houston area too, and since the ps has started back, I'm running into homeschoolers everywhere.

Just yesterday we stumbled onto a homeschool Minecraft group (they get together twice a month and play in a protected server) at one of the libraries in Sugar Land. I talked to a dad at length last week about homeschooling his daughter. I met three new homeschool moms and we exchanged numbers. And my oldest is taking outside classes through a homeschool co-op in Sugar Land for the first time this year.

I'm thinking in Houston, at least, the odd ducks are becoming more normal.

• Like 1

Someone told me recently that it's important for homeschoolers to read some, and to not forget English, so they can go to college.

Oh man, they've got it all wrong! You're supposed to be running a sweat shop using your kids as child labor, so you can afford college by the time they're old enough to go.

Actually, part of the reason I'm teaching mine Dutch is so they might go to college in NL, since it's so much cheaper. Not that I have a crystal ball, nor am I going to worry about college just yet.

I do think homeschooling allows kids to explore themselves in a safe environment before being jettisoned into  the world. I'm not talking about isolation and socialization. I'm talking about being able to wear plaids and stripes together if so desired, dying your hair blue, wearing pjs all day, having long hair for guys. There are so many rules on attire at our high school, it's a wonder some kids find ways to express themselves. I love that part of college, you see it all. My campus is very casual and I love seeing the diversity in fashion alone. 

What is the world coming to? Long hair for guys? Well, aren't I glad I sent C to public school where the principal created a new rule about "hair needs to be above the collar" just for our special needs 3yo and was willing to suspend him over it until his hair was cut. (just to be clear... the rule was for all boys, but it was created shortly after the principal met our son, whose hair wasn't even that long. The principal was giving quite a bunch of ridiculous arguments about how men should have short hair and that only trashy guys have long hair or something along those lines (he didn't use the word trashy, but I don't remember the exact words))

Yep, my best friend says I am the most qualified person in the world to homeschool, but all you other homeschoolers really need better regulation and supervision, because, don't you realize, getting a girlfriend/boyfriend in middle school is the epitome of socialization and you're depriving your children of that!  :huh:

Well, if they want regulation to force a bf/gf on my middle schoolers, I sure am glad they're willing to throw in more supervision, lol.

• Like 1

I feel like a bit of an odd duck, but not nearly as much as I did when we started.

I rarely get weird comments or questions anymore, though that may be because I spend more time with other homeschoolers now.  Friends and family see my kids and recognize that they haven't turned into robots and don't appear to have been robbed of sunlight.

What I find interesting is that my husband, who does a lot of networking/marketing dinners and events, has been having a lot of conversations about homeschooling with people.  It seems more and more people are intrigued instead of closed off.

• Like 1

I feel like a bit of an odd duck, but not nearly as much as I did when we started.

I rarely get weird comments or questions anymore, though that may be because I spend more time with other homeschoolers now.  Friends and family see my kids and recognize that they haven't turned into robots and don't appear to have been robbed of sunlight.

What I find interesting is that my husband, who does a lot of networking/marketing dinners and events, has been having a lot of conversations about homeschooling with people.  It seems more and more people are intrigued instead of closed off.

I have experienced that also, as a general rule. I kind of get a thrill out of telling people we homeschool, just to see what the reaction will be. I've gotten more good questions than bad comments. And even a few, "Would you homeschool my kids too?"

Embrace the weirdness!

• Like 1

It's too bad that homeschooling isn't as common everywhere as it is here (Houston area).  Homeschoolers are EVERYWHERE here!  EVERYWHERE!  I knew there was a huge homeschooling community here, but I have been blown away at how many I have met in our everyday activities.  And we do not use ANY of the homeschooling services/opportunities/coops/groups/etc.  We simply don't have time.   :)

Ironically, I have a friend who moved from here (MA) to Houston, and she promptly put them in public school there (they had been always-homeschooled before that).  She loves the schools there, especially marching band....

My therapist experience, circa 2006: "But why do you care whether he goes to public school or homeschool as long as he's keeping up his grades and his teachers don't think he has any problems?"

We found a new therapist.

I rarely get weird comments or questions anymore, though that may be because I spend more time with other homeschoolers now. Friends and family see my kids and recognize that they haven't turned into robots and don't appear to have been robbed of sunlight.

What I find interesting is that my husband, who does a lot of networking/marketing dinners and events, has been having a lot of conversations about homeschooling with people. It seems more and more people are intrigued instead of closed off.

I get the occasional negative comment, usually from medical professionals. Ugh. This never happened before I started looking for help with the spectrum, ADHD, and mental health challenges that are clearly affecting my children. I'm one of those who projects confidence in my decisions, so people kept their thoughts to themselves. I'd like to get back to that point.

My husband, on the other hand, has never heard a negative comment. He talks about it all the time at work and most of the people are interested, positive, and, often, express that they wish they could homeschool their kids.

Don't you all think that the "oh, you are good enough to homeschool, it's all the OTHER people who do" line is more of a CYA move by someone who actually thinks nobody should do it, but they are talking to you, so they are blunting the idea for social purposes?

I find that in my world, confidence in what we do mixed with appreciation for what a difficult job teachers have in the public schools makes for pleasant conversation most of the time.  It diffuses the defensiveness and antagonism.

• Like 3

Don't you all think that the "oh, you are good enough to homeschool, it's all the OTHER people who do" line is more of a CYA move by someone who actually thinks nobody should do it, but they are talking to you, so they are blunting the idea for social purposes?

I find that in my world, confidence in what we do mixed with appreciation for what a difficult job teachers have in the public schools makes for pleasant conversation most of the time.  It diffuses the defensiveness and antagonism.

I actually don't think that's the case most of the time. It's the classic case of, "Oh, but that's different." I know quite a few people who are totally against social welfare programs like WIC and TANF, except for THEMSELVES, or their close friends or family. Because they're different, they're not milking the system; it's OK for them. I find this in so many aspects of life. It is easy to see things as black and white and pick a strong opinion. Then they come upon a situation that doesn't fit their narrative, so instead of admitting that they're wrong, they just make that the "exception."

• Like 3

Someone told me recently that it's important for homeschoolers to read some, and to not forget English, so they can go to college.

Thank you. I'll get started on all of that right now.

What do they think we do all day?

Oh the sarcastic things I could be tempted to say, and not all of it English, if someone said this to me. How did you keep a straight face?!

Just this summer I was in a family group where a favorite sister-in-law was making some very negative, derogatory comments about a state senator who homeschools his children (comments were particular to homeschooling).  I think she had completely forgotten I was standing there.  When she saw me, she immediately started covering up her verbal blunder by saying, "Oh, you've done so well with your children, they're awesome, blah, blah, blah."  I just smiled and nodded my head since my girls have all turned out quite well, made it into college, finished, are gainfully employed, and surprise of all surprises, are properly socialized.  I thanked her and did make a comment it wasn't just me but a large majority of the homeschoolers I have known over the past 20 years have done just as well, if not better, including the Senator.

Honestly, I was somewhat shocked and a little hurt.  This sil and I have always been good friends, and I had no idea how she really felt about homeschooling.  It was a shock to see her true feelings.

• Like 3

Yes. We are odd and quirky. But most people I know think it's great that my kids know more about literature than pop culture, that my girls prefer two cellos and piano guys over Taylor Swift. They wish that their own kids were not as exposed to the icky stuff in public school. They also REALLY envy the fact that my girls have lots of friends of both genders and don't feel any pressure whatsoever to pair off. In a word, they are (nicely) envious of our life.

I think it helps that we are pretty confident in our choice for our family and that we live in an area where homeschoolers are common, most of them are doing a great job and it really helps to that my kids are fairly bright and sociable,