Menu

What do you call this dessert? Or what have you heard it called?

unsinkable

Dessert name  

174 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call the dessert described in first post?

• Slush Cake
    • Chocolate Sin
    • Better than Sex Cake
    • Four Layer Pudding cake
    • Other
    • Never heard of it/not familiar with it.

Four Layer Delight

Better Than Sex Cake around here is the chocolate cake with holes poked in it, sweetened condensed milk poured over it, whipped cream on top of that after it cools off, and a chopped up Heath bar on top of the whipped cream.

• Like 2

Four Layer Delight

Better Than Sex Cake around here is the chocolate cake with holes poked in it, sweetened condensed milk poured over it, whipped cream on top of that after it cools off, and a chopped up Heath bar on top of the whipped cream.

Same here about the Better than Sex cake. I've always thought the BEtter than Sex cake seems inspired by Tres Leches cake.

Never heard of it but now I want some. :drool5:

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/4f1gm4xi/chocolate-slush-cake.html

This is close to how I make it but I use a full cup of finely chopped walnuts in the crust.

I also only use about 1 cup or so of whipped cream (or cool whip) in the cream cheese layer.

If you do make it, the layers have a tendency to pull up as you are adding the next layer. So, when you add a layer, put spoonfuls of the layer (cream cheese layer, pudding layer, topping) in dollops all over, then spread. Don't just dump the layer in the middle and try to spread it or you'll have a mess.

Also, you need to really work the crust to get it to cover the bottom. There is enough but you have to smoosh it really good. And I cook the crust for only 15 minutes.

HTH

My family makes it another layer and we call it Piggy Pudding. My grandma called it The Next Best Thing To Robert Redford...but that's not really appropriate for a church email :)

Other. I've heard this dessert described but I don't think I've ever had it and have no idea what it was called. It's very similar to a dessert we had growing up with original name Blueberry Cream Cheese which had a shortbread crust and blueberry pie filling instead of chocolate pudding. Well, I don't know if that's the official name of it, that's just what we called it. :D

• Like 1

It sounds like what the Pentecostal women in my family call "Better than Robert Redford" which is probably their cleaned up version of what everyone else calls it.

*I don't remember my Aunt making it with cream cheese but maybe she doesn't like cream cheese?  Also I've had versions where it's a graham cracker crust.

Similar to this, we call it "Next Best Thing to Robert Redford." Or at least, my mom does. :p

• Like 1

I checked my church cookbooks (all had at least two recipes of this):

• one from the 90s calls it "Four Layer Dessert" and  "Chocolate Slush."
  • another from the 90s calls it "Chocolate Pie Delight" and "Chocolate Supreme."
  • one from a couple of years ago calls it "Annie's Chocolate/Cheese Pudding"  and  "Chocolate Delight."
  • Like 1

My family makes it another layer and we call it Piggy Pudding. My grandma called it The Next Best Thing To Robert Redford...but that's not really appropriate for a church email :)

What is in the other layer?

I'd like to make the cream cheese layer thicker. Doubling it might be too much but maybe making it 50% bigger would be good...

Too bad they stopped selling 3oz packages of. Cream cheese.

What is in the other layer?

I'd like to make the cream cheese layer thicker. Doubling it might be too much but maybe making it 50% bigger would be good...

Too bad they stopped selling 3oz packages of. Cream cheese.

So you have the pecan/butter crust, then you have a chocolate and vanilla pudding layer (with only 2/3 milk so it's thick), then you have the cream cheese/confectioners sugar layer, then another choc/van pudding layer, then the cool whip on top.

I good friend introduced me to this recipe when we were both young marrieds feeling like no one wanted to try our cooking at church picnics. 

We stuck with desserts, cuz how do you go wrong with a beautiful pie (mine) or a pudding dessert (hers). 

She gave me her recipe and confided to me that NO ONE would try her dessert if they knew what her large midwestern family called it:  Funeral Dessert (for obvious reasons.)

• Like 2

DH grew up eating this and they called it Four Layer Dessert. They always made it with butterscotch pudding though. I've tried it with chocolate and it's just not the same. The chocolate layer turns the cool whip layer a weird red-purple color, I think it's the dye in the box mix. It weirds me out.

• Like 1

DH grew up eating this and they called it Four Layer Dessert. They always made it with butterscotch pudding though. I've tried it with chocolate and it's just not the same. The chocolate layer turns the cool whip layer a weird red-purple color, I think it's the dye in the box mix. It weirds me out.

I like lemon best...Lemon Lush!

• Like 1

We always called it "The Next Best Thing to Robert Redford Pie"

Recipe here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/next-best-thing-to-robert-redford-pie/?mxt=t06dda

Better Than Sex Cake is different (it contains cake mix and sweetened condensed milk, I believe).  

Recipe here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/better-than-sex-cake-ii/

ETA: I rarely make this, because I can easily sit and eat the entire 13X9 inch pan of the stuff.  It's that good.  Seriously better than Robert Redford.  

Also, ETA, I can see why the name would be changed in old church cookbooks.  Can't be making such references in a church cookbook.  ;)

• Like 1

I'm chuckling as I read through these answers. Blushing mothers, Pentecostal women crushing on Robert Redford, Aunt Carolyn's Dessert, and that green sh**!

There's got to be a dissertation in here somewhere: "The Evolution of Dessert Names in Modern America"

• Like 4

I've seen it at potlucks, but never had a name for it. I like it, but we can't have it due to nut allergies in our house.

The recipe I have crushes pecan sandies for the crust, you could substitute shortbread, I bet.

(apologies if there are other but ingredients I'm overlooking)

• Like 1