Menu

n/m

Love

I had it done immediately after my second so done that way it's really a very minor procedure.  It was done within minutes.  But I hear it's not quite as quick and easy otherwise.

Everything has its risks, but I don't think either of these procedures have extreme risks.  If my husband were willing, I'd tell him to go for it.  I had to carry and deliver 2 babies so why not!

Ok, it looks like Essure may have a 9.6% failure rate over ten years, partly because many women never go in for the follow up appointment.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-04-21/health/chi-essure-less-effective-than-tubal-ligation-20140421_1_sterilization-fallopian-tubes-ligation

If he does get snipped, make sure he submits all the required follow up specimens.

• Like 1

A vasectomy is more effective, so I'd go with that. 

As for being done/not done...I wantd one more so badly. But my health wasn't in a place to do that, and now I'm really really enjoying the ease of going ot the store, car trips, every day things that are so much easier without a baby. My health may be good enough to have another in the next year, but I think now, having seen how much easier everything is, I'm not going to risk it. 

• Like 1

I've got 4 kids. I've been pregnant for 3 years of my life. It was time for my dh to give a little.

No problems really with any of it.

I do love having bigger kids. It's so nice to have plenty of sleep.

I don't miss the baby phase at all. Really.

I before I had my last one, I love babies and toddlers. I just was done.

• Like 5

I had a Vasectomy.  The procedure was done under Local Anesthesia by our Urologist in an O.R..  If my wife had been the one to have surgery, it would have required General Anesthesia.  My wife's OB-GYN had a Vasectomy before I had mine. I love my wife and risking her life with that kind of surgery wasn't in the cards.   I sincerely doubt that having a Vasectomy would increase, slightly or greatly, the chance of a man getting Prostate Cancer, but I have no data about that. I'd never heard that before reading this thread. 

I was probably much more nervous during the Vasectomy than I was during the LASIK surgeries.     

• Like 6

I had the tubal done the same time as a thermal ablation, life became so much simpler in many ways.  No more worries about unplanned pregnancies and my periods were so minimal I barely noticed them.  I occasionally have regrets about not being able to have more babies but I could not imagine going through the current health issues I have with a small child.  I love that my kids are teens(close enough) now and there are so many things I can do that I couldn't before..... like take a nap. 

If it weren't for the ablation then I'd vote vasectomy for being the better choice.

I had a c/s with our first and VBACs with the other two. I kind of thought I had done my part - what with all the pregnancy, breastfeeding and birthing I did...it was someone else's turn. We waited even though we knew we were done and number three came along. At that point we were beyond done so dh had it done while I was still pregnant with our youngest.

It's, hands down, among the top ten best things we decided to do. I'm glad to visit with people who have babies and I'll babysit if needed, but I'm always glad when the little ones go back to their parents. I love this stage in my life.

• Like 3

The big V here, if we end up needing something surgical. Hands down. Even my husband insists because he looked at the risks for both and his option was safer.

Dh and I talked about this before we decided we weren't comfortable with anything permanent for religious reasons. He was at the time completely willing to be the one under the knife because it is less invasive, and as such, generally safer. I know that at least two of his BILs have had it done and several family friends. I didn't really want to know this, but they were open about it.

My husband was scheduled for a V when my oldest was 3. We thought we were one and done. Two weeks before his surgery, I got pregnant with my second son. My husband made sure that we did not have a third. He had his V done at Planned Parenthood under local anesthesia. He had the surgery on a Friday, but was feeling pretty good within a few days. He has had no residual pain or any sexual side effects. It is fabulous not to have to worry about birth control anymore. Get the V. 

• Like 1

We have JUST finished researching and making this decision. I just had a baby 3 months ago after a very difficult pregnancy that resulted in life-threatening complications. There will not be any more pregnancies out of necessity.

I had hoped to have a tubal during the scheduled c-section. Unfortunately, the hospital here is a Catholic hospital that will not do this. You must schedule a separate, invasive surgery at least six weeks later at much greater risk and expense. Genius.

Because of this, my OB recommends vasectomies hands down. If you cannot get a tubal during another surgery or birth, a vasectomy is by far the safer option...not to mention A LOT cheaper with much faster recovery time. With proper follow up care for counts the outcome is virtually the same.

Definitely a vasectomy because it is a less invasive surgery.

Have you looked into something like Essure? I don't think they cut you open for that.

I had the Essure procedure done. No cutting open, as far as being put under, that would depend on your doctor. I was put under under (first and only time so far). There is a concern about nickel allergies but I haven't had any problems (I'm pretty sensitive as in I can't even wear sterling silver or under wire bras). There is no real down time either, I was able to do my normal stuff the next day.

We are saving the money up for dh to have a vasectomy done :) (yeah we are that done, if I really really want another one, we have already decided to adopt)

Similar to you, another pregnancy for me could have resulted in death. After all my body went through for the sake of reproduction, I flat out told dh it was his turn to take one for the team. Either that or be satisfied with abstinence. 😄

• Like 1

yes, vasectomy is more effective, so in your case that would be a big issue to me. 

And prostate cancer increasing in risk, well, it's very treatable anyway, if you even need to treat it. The majority of men with prostate cancer will die of something else before the cancer gets bad enough to kill them, even without treatment. It just isn't a huge concern of mine. The issue of pain/autoimmune/etc did worry me a bit, but at this point, if we do something, I'm just going to hope for the best. 

I had a tubal because they were already in there - I always had c-sections.

If we had not had another kid, DH would have had a vasectomy.

It's all about what's easiest.   :)

ETA: My tubal was easy-peasy, no complications or problems.  My periods have gone to the way they were when I was a teenager, but that isn't related to the tubal, it's related to no hormonal birth control, etc.  :)  

yes, vasectomy is more effective, so in your case that would be a big issue to me.

And prostate cancer increasing in risk, well, it's very treatable anyway, if you even need to treat it. The majority of men with prostate cancer will die of something else before the cancer gets bad enough to kill them, even without treatment. It just isn't a huge concern of mine. The issue of pain/autoimmune/etc did worry me a bit, but at this point, if we do something, I'm just going to hope for the best.

My Dad got prostate cancer really young, and very aggressive. He had a vasectomy, but just because there's a correlation in his case doesn't mean causation. There are lots of other reasons why he may have gotten prostate cancer - genetics is probably one. Not everyone gets prostate cancer when they're old. Not everyone's prostate cancer is slow growing. Not all prostate cancer is easily curable. It can come back. Men do die from it, even when they're still young. It's ruled our lives every six months (that's how often they test after successful treatment to monitor whether the cancer has returned) for the last 13 years including a reoccurrence and radiation treatment. It will continue to hang around in the background every six months. It is a big deal.

That being said, we still went with the vasectomy when it came to dh and I. We still thought it was the best choice for us even knowing what we do about prostate cancer. I just don't think the link is as clear as some people make it out to be.

My Dad got prostate cancer really young, and very aggressive. He had a vasectomy, but just because there's a correlation in his case doesn't mean causation. There are lots of other reasons why he may have gotten prostate cancer - genetics is probably one. Not everyone gets prostate cancer when they're old. Not everyone's prostate cancer is slow growing. Not all prostate cancer is easily curable. It can come back. Men do die from it, even when they're still young. It's ruled our lives every six months (that's how often they test after successful treatment to monitor whether the cancer has returned) for the last 13 years including a reoccurrence and radiation treatment. It will continue to hang around in the background every six months. It is a big deal.

That being said, we still went with the vasectomy when it came to dh and I.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to dismiss your family's experience, or anyone elses. I just meant that most of the time it is not a death sentence, and they are finding more and more it often can be watched, rather than treated. Again, not in all cases. Hugs to your family. My mom had lung cancer and I know what you mean about it hanging around in the background between checks. There is a lot of breath holding here every 6 months. 

• Like 1

I had a tubal- I had  lots of bad side effects, including pain with intercourse, heavier periods, getting pregnant and having a miscarriage,  the clip ripping through one tube and becoming imbedded in one ovary, the most painful thing ever! I thought I was dying and woke DH up to tell him that if I looked asleep I was really dead, (excruciating pain! on a scale of 0-10 in pain scale I was at 100) resulting in surgery to remove the ovary , then getting pregnant again ( ds11).

the Gynecologist told me that 1 in 1000 tubals fail resulting in pregnancy, apparently I was the second he had had, and he thought that was about right as he had probably done just over 2000

I would never recommend a tubal to anyone.

I had a tubal because I previously had an ectopic pregnancy and had already been through the surgery. I knew exactly what it was like and what to expect. 

Had I not previously had that surgery we probably would have had my husband have the vasectomy. If my husband had developed prostate cancer it may not have been due to the surgery and there is no way to prove it anyways.

I had no issues with my surgery. In fact no one knew I had the surgery. My husband took surgery day off of work to drop me off and pick me up at the hospital. But the next day I was on my own with 3 kids five and under. My tubes were cut and burned. 

No regrets.

I had a tubal ligation (cut and cauterization) after my final c-section. No problems. No pain. Very happy.

If I hadn't had a c-section, my husband would have gotten a vasectomy because of lesser expense, quicker recovery, etc.

With any procedure, medication, anything, there are outliers and side effect that affect part of the population, but the risks are often very small.

I had a tubal because I previously had an ectopic pregnancy and had already been through the surgery. I knew exactly what it was like and what to expect. 

Part of our decision was based on my ectopic surgery, too. Except mine was AWFUL. Even knowing a scheduled tubal would (probably) be simpler, I wasn't letting anyone back in there!

Another vote for the V here.  It was rather uneventful for me.  I had it on a Friday, laid around all weekend with a bag of frozen peas in the affected area and went back to work on Monday.  From what I've read and heard from others, the key is to really, really take it easy for a couple days after the procedure.  I know one guy who thought he was doing well and decided to mow his yard the day after he had his.  He ended up with some major swelling because of it.

I have a sort of funny story associated with my V.  As he was getting ready to do his work, the doctor said, "You're the first one of the day, so you get the clean instruments."  It's a little unnerving to have the Dr cracking jokes while he's working with sharp things down there.  It did make me laugh though.

I had a tubal removal (not a clamp, not a cauterization, but it is GONE) after baby #6.  I am only a few months out from that, but I haven't noticed any of the negative symptoms that some folks report after a tubal.

Insurance would cover the tubal for me, but NOT a V for my husband -my surgery could be classified as medically necessary, the V was an elective surgery, and would have been a totally out of pocket expense for us.  Since I was already having a C-section, it was very easy to add in the tubal at that time. 

My OB said that some studies have shown that tubal removal can reduce the risk of ovarian cancer, and that there are fewer complications (clamp coming loose, surprise pregnancies, etc.) from a removal. 

The removal is non-reversible, permanent;  so be SURE you are okay with that. 

I had a tubal removal (not a clamp, not a cauterization, but it is GONE) after baby #6. I am only a few months out from that, but I haven't noticed any of the negative symptoms that some folks report after a tubal.

Insurance would cover the tubal for me, but NOT a V for my husband -my surgery could be classified as medically necessary, the V was an elective surgery, and would have been a totally out of pocket expense for us. Since I was already having a C-section, it was very easy to add in the tubal at that time.

My OB said that some studies have shown that tubal removal can reduce the risk of ovarian cancer, and that there are fewer complications (clamp coming loose, surprise pregnancies, etc.) from a removal.

The removal is non-reversible, permanent; so be SURE you are okay with that.

That is something else to consider and it sucks. Permanent birth control for women is free under the ACA, you have to pay for a V.

Dh got a vasectomy because it's less invasive and less expensive. His procedure was done under a local in the urologist's office. Within a week he was fine. I had an ablation three years later because of awful periods. His vasectomy makes additional birth control unnecessary (pregnancy after ablation is risky/unlikely to be successful so birth control is mandatory).

In India they are testing reversible "vasectomies" where an injection into the tube does something to damage the sperm as they go by to make them unable to swim. Another injection flushes the goo out, making the man fertile again. They need to hurry up and start testing it here. Imagine how the unplanned pregnancy rate could fall if men lined up to get this knowing that it was easily reversible later one. I don't understand why pharmaceutical companies aren't doing more to develop inexpensive, reversible, non-hormonal, non-surgical contraception methods. I guess they must not consider it profitable enough.

• Like 1