Menu

SCOTUS backs marriage equality!

go_go_gadget

I'm conflicted on this and I'm prepared to be jumped on.

I'm Catholic. I do not believe that homosexual relationships are "okay".

I also believe that there are an awful many things in life that aren't "okay", but that even Christians partake in (and I'm certainly no exception). I'm of the "Jesus asked those who had never sinned to throw the first stone" variety, I guess, and we all know how that ended.

With that said, I'm not your (general "your") moral compass. I've also always been of the opinion that I'm not sure why it wasn't legal in the first place. In other words, I was always confused as to why marriage was a matter of law at all. I can't say that I'm disappointed the gay friends I have will be able to legally adopt children who need a home, or be at their partner's deathbed/hospital bed, regardless of my personal feelings about their relationship. I watched a good friend be denied that (being by her partner's deathbed) after 20 or so years of partnership. It was heartbreaking to witness.

I hope I'm not offending anyone by posting this little thought-ramble. I'm not celebrating the decision, but I'm not upset about it, I guess.

I was earlier (upset about it), but then I couldn't figure out why I was upset - it isn't as though this means that a priest will have to marry a gay couple (forcing him to go against his own heart), and it doesn't affect me or my family directly... so I decided it wasn't really right to be upset about it. The battle of church and/or state has been won, regardless, so doesn't that actually make it a *win* on both sides of the debate? I mean, now it's been decided that marriage is a federal "right", but that would also mean that since church and state are separated, churches can still do what they please. I would imagine, anyway. 

Okay, I'm ready for the tongue lashing.

• Like 8

I will marry my dog. She is loyal and displays unconditional love for all. More importantly, she will move over without complaint if she is hogging the bed.

I am impressed your dog shares the bed.

Mine is a furry bed hog.

• Like 2

Not trying to derail the party (honest!) but I do believe that freedom of conscience means that people have the right to live their lives according to beliefs that I personally find repulsive as long as no real harm (e.g. child abuse) results.

Anyway... party on. :)

Honestly, I've always heard the REM song "shiny happy people" used as a gay anthem. I honestly though your user name was a signal that you are a lesbian.

Umm... I am guessing you haven't attended many Pride parades?

• Like 7

I will marry my dog. She is loyal and displays unconditional love for all. More importantly, she will move over without complaint if she is hogging the bed.

I sdon't think your dog can consent.... Sorry.

Got up this morning and started to read the debate threads, which were weird.  They were locked before I had a chance to post.  And I had some really important things to say about Einstein!!  :lol:  :lol:

So back to the party :party:  :party:

(though some of these links are making me cry.  Love the comic book guys!  I'm not supposed to cry at parties...OH, wait a minute, these are WEDDINGS, I do get to cry  :laugh: )

• Like 11

Got up this morning and started to read the debate threads, which were weird.  They were locked before I had a chance to post.  And I had some really important things to say about Einstein!!  :lol:  :lol:

So back to the party :party:  :party:

(though some of these links are making me cry.  Love the comic book guys!  I'm not supposed to cry at parties...OH, wait a minute, these are WEDDINGS, I do get to cry  :laugh: )

I too started to read the debate threads only to find them locked as I went from one page to another...so I will say this: # will go away if you pour EO on them :lol:

Also...More party

:party:

• Like 5

I feel conflicted as I see I'm about to have a few less friends, although I guess they weren't truly friends in the first place. I'm supposed to feel upset about this, my local diocese has issued a statement about it, yadda, yadda and I see even my non-Catholic friends liking it but I don't. Our country is not Catholic or Christian and I hope it stays that way, I'd hate to go back to those first years with the Puritans, religious freedom my ass. I think gay people are born as they are, just as I am, I can't believe otherwise and I have an exceedingly difficult time believing that they Christian duty is for them to change how they are made or just not act on those feelings, it just makes no sense to me at all. All around me however I see the conservative side, the one I'm supposed to be on but saddens me. I just don't get the logic. I just can't follow it anymore. I can't see it as the downfall of society, this of all things, really. I do see a greater divide however in between the 2 sides, conservative and liberal and both sides keep digging in further and further and the divisiveness hurts my heart. I hate that things have to be a fight but one cannot sit idly by while being treated as a second class citizen either, just as it was with civil rights. It made people uncomfortable and angry. So many emotions and thoughts and feelings.

• Like 11

I feel conflicted as I see I'm about to have a few less friends, although I guess they weren't truly friends in the first place. I'm supposed to feel upset about this, my local diocese has issued a statement about it, yadda, yadda and I see even my non-Catholic friends liking it but I don't. Our country is not Catholic or Christian and I hope it stays that way, I'd hate to go back to those first years with the Puritans, religious freedom my ass. I think gay people are born as they are, just as I am, I can't believe otherwise and I have an exceedingly difficult time believing that they Christian duty is for them to change how they are made or just not act on those feelings, it just makes no sense to me at all. All around me however I see the conservative side, the one I'm supposed to be on but saddens me. I just don't get the logic. I just can't follow it anymore. I can't see it as the downfall of society, this of all things, really. I do see a greater divide however in between the 2 sides, conservative and liberal and both sides keep digging in further and further and the divisiveness hurts my hurt. I hate that things have to be a fight but one cannot sit idly by while being treated as a second class citizen either, just as it was with civil rights. It made people uncomfortable and angry. So many emotions and thoughts and feelings.

I'll be your friend :grouphug:

• Like 3

No celebrating in our small town. :(  The Justice of the Peace is refusing to officiate ALL marriages (since it only says he "may" in the wording of his duties, not he "will").  The town clerk refuses to issue licenses until they get one that has different wording for "husband" and "wife", sticking to the letter of the law herself.  Nobody will do a thing until the Attorney General & Lt Governor back down and accept federal law....and given current sentiments of the federal government over various other issues, I don't see anyone speeding up the timeline any more than they have to.

No celebrating in our small town. :( The Justice of the Peace is refusing to officiate ALL marriages (since it only says he "may" in the wording of his duties, not he "will"). The town clerk refuses to issue licenses until they get one that has different wording for "husband" and "wife", sticking to the letter of the law herself. Nobody will do a thing until the Attorney General & Lt Governor back down and accept federal law....and given current sentiments of the federal government over various other issues, I don't see anyone speeding up the timeline any more than they have to.

This makes me sad.

• Like 4

I too started to read the debate threads only to find them locked as I went from one page to another...so I will say this: # will go away if you pour EO on them :lol:

Also...More party

:party:

I hung an onion around it and *POOF* it was locked. BOO YOW!

Party On!!!!

• Like 3

My best friend from college, who is still one of my nearest and dearest, recently broke up because his boyfriend wanted to get married and he did not. They were together almost a decade. He loved his partner but did not want to marry as he found it too hetero-normative for his tastes.

He was the first person I thought of when the news broke. Even if he chooses not to avail himself of the right, NO ONE CAN TELL HIM NO. No one can tell him he's not equal. No one can tell him he's less worthy. That fills my heart.

• Like 6

I think if we ask ourselves "Why did this happen, now?" it's not because Straight America has suddenly decided it wants to Gay Gayness All Over Gayworld, but rather because, unlike 50 or even 25 years ago, most of us now know gay people (or rather, now know that we know gay people).  And we know that they're people, who have the same fundamental wants and needs as we do.  And we can put ourselves in their place and ask ourselves the question "How would I feel if I was told I couldn't marry the man or woman I loved?"

• Like 19

No celebrating in our small town. :( The Justice of the Peace is refusing to officiate ALL marriages (since it only says he "may" in the wording of his duties, not he "will"). The town clerk refuses to issue licenses until they get one that has different wording for "husband" and "wife", sticking to the letter of the law herself. Nobody will do a thing until the Attorney General & Lt Governor back down and accept federal law....and given current sentiments of the federal government over various other issues, I don't see anyone speeding up the timeline any more than they have to.

We have lots of counties in Texas stalling at the specific direction of our governor and AG. It's quite ridiculous. It's so ironic how close this is to Juneteenth, which is the day the Feds had to show up and force Texas to release the slaves. I wonder if Texas is going to drag its feet implementing the law of the land again.

A few counties have voluntarily complied, but the VAST majority of them have not and are hiding behind the AG's directive. It's so sad and frustrating. It IS the law. The county clerk is not running a church, but is a public servant to all constituents.

I'm just watching to see how this will play out.

Anyone who thought things would be different after Rick Perry stepped down was sadly mistaken.

• Like 1

We have lots of counties in Texas stalling at the specific direction of our governor and AG. It's quite ridiculous. It's so ironic how close this is to Juneteenth, which is the day the Feds had to show up and force Texas to release the slaves. I wonder if Texas is going to drag its feet implementing the law of the land again.

A few counties have voluntarily complied, but the VAST majority of them have not and are hiding behind the AG's directive. It's so sad and frustrating. It IS the law. The county clerk is not running a church, but is a public servant to all constituents.

I'm just watching to see how this will play out.

Anyone who thought things would be different after Rick Perry stepped down was sadly mistaken.

Our county hasn't started issuing certificates yet, but the county clerk has announced that they will as soon as they get updated forms from the state.  Evidently, other counties are just scratching out the words that aren't applicable.  I believe our cc is afraid doing this means that the marriages could be challenged at some point. 

Leaves me wondering how long it's going to take the state to update the forms.

• Like 1

I would marry my dog but he's male so what would be the point? Instead I think I'll marry my cat, who is female. She's cuddly and soft and I'm her favorite human anyway.

I hung an onion around it and *POOF* it was locked. BOO YOW!

Yesterday, when by all rights I should have run out of likes, I had an abundance of them. This morning I ran out after only liking a few posts.

• Like 3

I just finished reading the debate thread that got locked.  :huh:  :ohmy:  :scared:

That was one of the strangest threads I have read on this board.  It was like  :banghead: .

Anyway, I am happy for people who want to be married and now are able to do so.

It isn't like the gays are going to come around and force me to marry a lady now.  But if they do, I hope it is one that can cook because I am tired.of.cooking.  :lol:

• Like 17

You know, I agree that there should not by gay marriage.

It should simply be *marriage*. ;)

As a parenting educator and licensed marriage and family therapist, I believe society, families, cities, states, and countries benefit from sanctioned, celebrated, and supported long term intimate relationships.

Love wins - we all win.

(I am on vacation and haven't been around.)

• Like 9

It isn't like the gays are going to come around and force me to marry a lady now. But if they do, I hope it is one that can cook because I am tired.of.cooking. :lol:

I'll do your cooking if you'll do my cleaning and then we'll be covered when the great gaystopo comes around and forces people to gay marry. ;)

• Like 2

You know, I agree that there should not by gay marriage.

It should simply be *marriage*. ;)

As a parenting educator and licensed marriage and family therapist, I believe society, families, cities, states, and countries benefit from sanctioned, celebrated, and supported long term intimate relationships.

Love wins - we all win.

(I am on vacation and haven't been around.)

Joanne, I almost chocked on my lunch when I read your first sentence! I was all like whaaaaat?!?

But oh thank goodness, after that normalcy was restored.

Phew!

:)

• Like 1

I live in the Bible belt, and by noon yesterday licenses were already being processed. It was publicly accepted as kaw by the governor even though he disagreed with it.

I would marry my dog but he's male so what would be the point? Instead I think I'll marry my cat, who is female. She's cuddly and soft and I'm her favorite human anyway.

Yesterday, when by all rights I should have run out of likes, I had an abundance of them. This morning I ran out after only liking a few posts.

My favorite cat is a roaming, deceptive, opportunistic, brawling, selfish roughneck.  Should I marry him instead of my sweet loyal female cat since he is male?

:party: :party: :party:

I just want to party some more!  I'm in a major metro having huge pride celebrations right now and what a party it is turning out to be! 

I'm right there with ya!  :party:

I went into DC today and it looks like a glitter rainbow threw up over most the city. It's hilarious!

• Like 8

waaaaay back in 1989 a journalist named Andrew Sullivan wrote an article in the New Republic about marriage equality. It was seen as nuts, as crazy, as laughable.  I read some of his later articles, in the 1990s, and it was the first time I had ever thought about the issue at all. I am not, and he is certainly not, claiming to be the first or the only person writing on this issue. But, goodness, there weren't many.

Yesterday, he resurrected his old blog and wrote this:

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/

And here is a link to some of those old articles.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/122097/new-republics-campaign-marriage-equality

• Like 4

waaaaay back in 1989 a journalist named Andrew Sullivan wrote an article in the New Republic about marriage equality. It was seen as nuts, as crazy, as laughable. I read some of his later articles, in the 1990s, and it was the first time I had ever thought about the issue at all. I am not, and he is certainly not, claiming to be the first or the only person writing on this issue. But, goodness, there weren't many.

Yesterday, he resurrected his old blog and wrote this:

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/

And here is a link to some of those old articles.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/122097/new-republics-campaign-marriage-equality

It is really amazing the change in how many people support marriage equality now. I got involved in the fight about 10 years ago. Pretty much everyone I knew thought I was insane, including most my family and close friends. Now, those same people are sharing the joy and congratulations in our victory. It's kind of crazy. Wonderful, but crazy.
  • Like 2

No celebrating in our small town. :(  The Justice of the Peace is refusing to officiate ALL marriages (since it only says he "may" in the wording of his duties, not he "will").  The town clerk refuses to issue licenses until they get one that has different wording for "husband" and "wife", sticking to the letter of the law herself.  Nobody will do a thing until the Attorney General & Lt Governor back down and accept federal law....and given current sentiments of the federal government over various other issues, I don't see anyone speeding up the timeline any more than they have to.

Wow, that's real mature of them.

• Like 1

Maybe it's best we ignore the rude remarks because I think it's basically some people's plan to shut these type threads down. ( even tho I didn't ignore it, either . Sorry!)

Well I think it's time to get back to the party...I hear there is bean dip on that long table in the back!

:party:  :party:  :party:

• Like 9

Maybe it's best we ignore the rude remarks because I think it's basically some people's plan to shut these type threads down. ( even tho I didn't ignore it, either . Sorry!)

That's why I didn't respond this time around. Reported - yes. Respond - hahaha no.

• Like 2