Menu

What's Your Favorite Way to Deal With Door-to-Door Salespeople...

Valley Girl

...Who ignore your very obvious "No Soliciting" sign; and when you bring it to their attention, proceed to tell you how they're NOT selling anything?

I usually follow up the encounter by calling their company and reporting my frustration. Anyone have a good way of handling the person while he/she is standing on the porch?

It's going to be a l-o-o-n-g summer.

• Like 1

I don't answer the door at all, unless I know who it is. I don't care if the person on the porch can see me, has heard us, or the kids have waved at them, I just don't open the door unless I know them or am expecting them (plumber, service person, etc). They leave eventually.

• Like 28

I've found it works best for me to just say a quick "No thanks" and shut the door. Yes, sometimes I just cut them off but I don't want to stand there and listen to them talk. Sometimes I even just yell no thanks through the window and wave and smile then turn away. Done.

• Like 9

If I were getting the same type of response, I'd make my sign more specific - maybe something like:

NO SOLICITING

*no politics

*no surveys

*no fundraisers

*no direct sales

*no magazines

*no candy

*no offers to help me find Jesus or save my soul

MY DOGS ARE HUNGRY

*Girl Scouts are exempt and encouraged to knock

If a solicitor rings just point to the sign, smile, wish them well and close the door firmly but respectfully.

• Like 10

If I were getting the same type of response, I'd make my sign more specific - maybe something like:

NO SOLICITING

*no politics

*no surveys

*no fundraisers

*no direct sales

*no magazines

*no candy

*no offers to help me find Jesus or save my soul

MY DOGS ARE HUNGRY

*Girl Scouts are exempt and encouraged to knock

If a solicitor rings just point to the sign, smile, wish them well and close the door firmly but respectfully.

A shorter, easier sign would be:

NO TRESPASSING

(But this would scare off Girl Scouts. You could always go to Walmart and buy their cookies when they're selling them on the sidewalk.)

• Like 2

"No Soliciting" gets ignored here as well, but "Please Do Not Interrupt!" in large print on a bright piece of paper is effective.

The problem with ignoring the door is that we are still being pestered by multiple rings of the doorbell--not fun with an easily distracted little scholar. I prefer to prevent that if I can.

• Like 2

First I check the peephole and then decide.

If they are teens, I open the door and talk to them. If they are trying to make a little extra money by doing some work I want to support that. I also open the door for kids wearing scouting uniforms.

Most of the time, though, teens are in a traveling work crew and then I call the police. (They asked us at the last watch meeting to call.) Usually they come out, talk to the teens, and find out if the adult has a permit. (They never do.)  A few teens have asked the police for help getting out of their situation when they arrived. Here's a link from the Child Labor Coalition.

For adults, I usually talk through the door and tell them we're not available. I want them to know someone is home.

If I had a "No Soliciting" sign, I would probably tell them asking for an opinion or signature is also a solicitation.

• Like 3

I mess up my hair a bit and squint, then they apologize for waking me up while I'm trying to hold back my very friendly and barky lab. I'm also really good with the sentence, "No, thank you. Best of luck to you."  Unless they are selling chocolate bars, then I put the dog in the bedroom and bring out my wallet. 

• Like 3

I have two methods.

1. Ignore. And my front doors are glass, so sometimes they see ignoring and can also see my big dog NOT ignoring.

Or

2. Answer the door just thank them but tell them it is a no soliciting neighborhood. I am gathering the resolve to add that if they didn't see that sign in the neighborhood, now they know, so I don't want to see them at a neighbors door when they leave mine.

I am really a pretty friendly person, but I find it threatening to have strangers at my door, and I feel my home should not be someone else's marketing opportunity.

• Like 4

Most of the time, though, teens are in a traveling work crew and then I call the police. (They asked us at the last watch meeting to call.) Usually they come out, talk to the teens, and find out if the adult has a permit. (They never do.)  A few teens have asked the police for help getting out of their situation when they arrived. Here's a link from the Child Labor Coalition.

I had no idea that traveling sales crews existed. I read the article and posted it on my FB page. Good to have awareness raised.

As to discouraging folks at the door, I have a handy dandy sign that reads: "Homeschooling in progress. Please do not disturb."

• Like 2

...Who ignore your very obvious "No Soliciting" sign; and when you bring it to their attention, proceed to tell you how they're NOT selling anything?

I usually follow up the encounter by calling their company and reporting my frustration. Anyone have a good way of handling the person while he/she is standing on the porch?

It's going to be a l-o-o-n-g summer.

I don't usually answer the door if I don't recognize the person standing there.

If I'm momentarily senseless and I do open the door to someone who turns out to be selling something, I smile and say "No, thanks," and shut the door. Except for the time these two nice-looking young men knocked and knocked such that I thought for sure it must be actually important, so I opened the door, but it turned out they were from ATT U-Verse, and I told them I was happy with NetFlix and an antenna and they were fine with that. Also I gave them samples of Cookie Butter. It was a funny conversation. :D

• Like 2

I usually peek out the front window and if it's a sales person I don't go to the door.  I don't really care if they realize I'm home.  In fact I kind of prefer it, just in case it's really someone casing the house for a future burglary.

But sometimes they catch me off guard and I answer the door.  But I almost always have my cell phone with me.  And I say "Did you miss the 'no soliciting' signs at the entrance to the neighborhood?"  And if they start blustering and don't go away immediately I whip out my phone and say "Let me just give the police department a quick call and you can speak with someone there.  That's exactly what they asked us to do when sales people ignore those signs."  (Which is a true--we've been told to call the non-emergency number, and I have it as a contact on my phone.)

They always leave before I have a chance to hit the "call" button. :lol:

I don't answer the door at all, unless I know who it is. I don't care if the person on the porch can see me, has heard us, or the kids have waved at them, I just don't open the door unless I know them or am expecting them (plumber, service person, etc). They leave eventually.

Unfortunately I was expecting a package and wasn't as cautious as I normally am. (The UPS person usually gives a knock.)  Here, we've been advised to respond so they know someone's home...just in case they're up to no good. I'll have to go back to the quick "not interested" some of you have suggested.

I have a hard time with the same thing, because we live in a very friendly neighborhood, where neighbors DO visit, but the glass on our front door is frosted and I can't see how is there. 

I haven't had a problem with sales people yet this year, but we've already have some wanting to... spread the good news? Lol - I'm not sure how to phrase it so that it doesn't offend anybody here. Since we get a variety of denominations here, I can't really *call* anyone... largely because I don't listen long enough now to ask who they are with. It's always the worst time, too - they ALWAYS seem to wake a napping toddler! 

So, my only advice is what I do, but I know it's considered rude - I open the door, see it isn't a neighbor who someone we know, say a very short and clipped "NOT interested," and I slam the door. It doesn't keep them away long term, but they don't knock again for a while. 

Depends. If it's inexpensive I ask for a brochure. I have a relative who used to sell door to door to pay bills. It was hard work. If it's pricey I tell them,"we don't use credit, and I don't have x amount set aside for y product."

We didn't have a sign, though, so I can see your frustration.

Funny thing - the Jehovah Wittness people love to see me and my children (who always end up at the door with me). Their eyes gleam at all the possible converts. :-)

Memorize a lengthy passage in a not-so-well-known language like Icelandic or Georgian (Klingon works too) and as soon as you open the door, start your schpeel. Don't let them get a word in edgewise.  99% of them won't come back and you'll get marked on everyone's list as the crazy gibberish woman.

Your kids can get in on the action too.  Maybe different languages for all of you.  Being shouted all at once.  That would be fun.

Depends. If it's inexpensive I ask for a brochure. I have a relative who used to sell door to door to pay bills. It was hard work. If it's pricey I tell them,"we don't use credit, and I don't have x amount set aside for y product."

We didn't have a sign, though, so I can see your frustration.

Funny thing - the Jehovah Wittness people love to see me and my children (who always end up at the door with me). Their eyes gleam at all the possible converts. :-)

OT: Uh...I'm a JW and I don't gleam over possible converts, nor does anybody I know because we aren't into conversion, but we offer a Bible education progrsm.. Despite what I hear about why we go talk to people, the truth is (and it always helps to go to the source ya know) we are there for people who want to talk about or study the bible. If that isn't what a home owner is interested in, a polite 'not interested' will do because I don't like to waste time as much as anyone else. Conversion is not even a term we use nor or goal. So, yeah, the above isn't correct.

• Like 1

I go to the door because that is a known way of casing houses here, and I let my dogs come with me in the foyer. They bark and I yell NO THANK YOU through the glass. I don't open the door or engage them. This works for the religious folks, the magazine scam kids, and the cable/satellite people. I've never had a vacuum salesman or a meat truck.

I ask if they have a municipal door-to-door solicitor permit, and ask to see it. I then threaten to call the cops if I see them in the neighborhood again if they haven't got one.

Ok, not really. I usually just say no thanks and shut the door.

• Like 1

I'm a sucker. And a wimp. I usually wind up listening to their whole spiel while making lame attempts throughout to indicate I'm not interested.

I need to put a few of you on speed-dial.

:001_unsure:

The beginner's version is to answer the door with the phone to your ear. Say, "Hang on a sec..." into the phone and tell the person you're in an important meeting. If they think it's a brief call they'll come back at the end of the neighborhood route.

I think maybe 5 people have ever stopped at my door to sell anything in my entire adult life.  I'm 42.  Where do you all live that you have to deal with door-to-door salespeople?

I think the real question is where do you live? Sounds nice.  :D

I've never gotten the people who sell real goods like meat and vacuums. I get scouts, charities, magazines, petitions for political causes, telecom companies, and Anderson windows. I'm in SF Bay area.

• Like 1

I dont answer the door if i dont know the person...a safety thing.  i dont try to be quiet or hide, we just carry on.  By default that means i just dont answer to salesmen.  We get a small amount every year, mostly for cable tv.  When dh is home, he answers the door most times and listens to everything they say, no matter how long, he will stand there..  then at the end says no thanks.  i tell him, as a JW (he isnt one) that id rather someone let me know they arent interested as soon as they realize it and from the look on most sales peoples face, they would too.  lol  

The meat out of the back of the truck people are weird. They still seem to insist on how I need to buy some even after dh told them that we were vegan. Yeah, even if I ate meat, so not buying it out of the back of your truck.

I just do the answer the door, "no thanks," and shut the door routine. It worked for the guy selling driveway cleaner (huh?). It works for the Mormons. It worked for the older gentleman in a suit wanting to save my soul. It's also worked for the weird alarm people, the home repair people, the boy scouts, assorted candy selling sports children, etc.

I'd totally make an exception for the Girl Scouts, but sadly we live in a cookie drought area and I've never seen a Girl Scout in all the years we've lived here. In fact, were it not for a booth at the model train show, I'd have gone sans Thin Mints this year. Tough times.

• Like 1

The only reason I open the door now, is I keep hoping for the mythical meat truck.  Does anyone know the story here?  Is it stolen?  Did it fail USDA inspection?  Is it cheap? I assume it is frozen -- is the butcher listed on the packaging?  If so, is it a local butcher?  Why would someone in their right mind try to sell meat door-to-door?

• Like 2

The beginner's version is to answer the door with the phone to your ear. Say, "Hang on a sec..." into the phone and tell the person you're in an important meeting. If they think it's a brief call they'll come back at the end of the neighborhood route.

I think the real question is where do you live? Sounds nice.  :D

I've never gotten the people who sell real goods like meat and vacuums. I get scouts, charities, magazines, petitions for political causes, telecom companies, and Anderson windows. I'm in SF Bay area.

I lived in the Baltimore suburbs and now I live in a tiny town in PA.  In my 23 years of marriage:

Let's see:  22 years ago a guy tried selling us encyclopedias.  I was very interested, but dh kind of blew him off.  If he'd persisted, I'd probably have encyclopedias right now.  (This was before the internet.)

The meat truck--yes!  They've been here twice. They were guys and I never answer the door to strange men when I'm home alone.

Um...magazines--about 3 times people have come by to sell magazines.   

Petitions--one for water and one for something else.

And....wait, wait...two kids selling candybars.

So, I correct myself.  In 23 years of marriage I haven't had 5 callers selling things, I've had 9 people come to my door.  It's really not a big problem for me.  Guess I've been lucky so far.  I expect that now that it's been pointed out I'm due to have an influx of salespeople heading my way.

• Like 2

The only reason I open the door now, is I keep hoping for the mythical meat truck.  Does anyone know the story here?  Is it stolen?  Did it fail USDA inspection?  Is it cheap? I assume it is frozen -- is the butcher listed on the packaging?  If so, is it a local butcher?  Why would someone in their right mind try to sell meat door-to-door?

After reading many posts here about visits from the mythical meat truck, I began to think that either my fellow boardies were a few chops short of a bbq, or I was. Surely, someone had made up this tale! But one evening, just after dinner, a strange pickup truck with a large freezer in its bed stopped in front of our house. By the time the driver made it to our door, I knew exactly who he was. I opened the door and said something like, "Oh, my! You're the Meat Man!"  I don't believe he had ever encountered someone so happy to see him. Unfortunately for him, my initial outburst was quickly followed by, "No thanks!" and a closing door. :D

I have three sweet but loud dogs who pitch a fit whenever someone knocks at the door, and that seems to deter a lot of salespeople. I can also see my front door, driveway, and sidewalk from my picture window, and if I don't know the person, I just ignore them.

• Like 2

This is what we do as well. I don't open the door for people I don't know unless I'm expecting them for some sort of service (appliance repair, cable guy, etc).

Now that I might be able to pull off. Assuming I remember it!

• Like 1

My dog and I are a team on this one. He barks whenever someone is walking the neighborhood. I look to see why he is barking. If I see someone going door-to-door, I know to ignore the knock when it's my turn. If they're casing, they hear the dog and cross us off the list. Occasionally the dog is asleep on the job and I'll answer the door. We get JWs around here. I once answered because instead of sending two middle-aged women, they sent a FAMILY. I didn't get the memo about the change and thought they'd broken down or were new neighbors or something. The Mormons have us on their banned list because my husband frustrated them.

I'm contemplating a sign that reads: "Children may knock unannounced. Adults should call for an appointment." I just don't know how to close the JW loophole :-/

Although the driver does not knock on any doors, I admit feeling annoyed when the ice cream truck starts its summer rounds, driving repeatedly through the neighborhood every day blaring musical track of "Turkey in the Straw"!  A couple of rounds, fine.  Incessant repetition, :glare:

• Like 1

Although the driver does not knock on any doors, I admit feeling annoyed when the ice cream truck starts its summer rounds, driving repeatedly through the neighborhood every day blaring musical track of "Turkey in the Straw"! A couple of rounds, fine. Incessant repetition, :glare:

If you'd like some variety, come here. The ice cream trucks often have that same high-piping organ-grinder instrument sound, playing a tune that's a closer cousin to mariachi music.

• Like 3