Menu

What's Your Favorite Way to Deal With Door-to-Door Salespeople...

Valley Girl

Few people have the guts to get out of their cars when the dogs greet them. I did have a lady stop the other day, with her windows half rolled down and I ran out the door screaming to roll them up and go away, or the Akbash was going to take the elderly lab. Turns out the lab was a stray and she was trying to find the owner. Doesn't change the fact that he was going to be dinner... 

Funny JW story--the ONLY time I've ever really been bothered was the day I was riding a rank, green horse. I had spent an HOUR rounding up crazy heifers to move down the road, and these idiots drove into the middle of the herd and opened the door. I came down HARD on the windshield with my stock whip and man, did they jump back into the car! Hello? You're surrounded by very agitated, large animals. Did you really think this was a good idea, to leap out, flapping your Watchtowers in your hand? It took me another hour to round the cattle up. I think we're on their "don't go" list now...  :lol:

You win!  

• Like 1

I open the solid door, at which my German Shepherd starts barking and with a hand signal will growl while barking. They tend to beg me not to open the screen door and disappear never to be seen again.

In truth, my girl would probably lick them to death once I told her to chill, they were okay, but I like not being bothered by salespeople so I let her have her fun. I should have a camera recording the various ways they have dismounted my porch in a hurry hearing her.

• Like 2

I don't have a no soliciting sign.  

When they knock, I just open the door and tell them 'no thank you, I'm not interested'. I try to open and shut the door normally, but without giving them enough time to say much of anything at all.  LOL  

If it is a person sharing their faith, I usually say "thanks for you time" and give them a smile, or something that is relatively kind, but not so much so that they try to start talking again. 

If my son is home, and it is a religious order.....I let him have a bit of fun dissecting the bible with them.  He isn't rude or unkind, just the opposite.  He really wants to understand how they interpret different parts of the Bible.  He has a Bible/Theology and Ministry BS degree.

For teens, I only buy from one person in each group a year, so I usually end up saying "someone else got here first, sorry".  We are on the boundary of two school districts so we get teens from both districts selling items. 

We live within a half mile of 4 churches...Baptist, 7th day Adventist, Mormon, JW.  We get quite a few fliers inviting us to their events and knocks on the door to chat.  I don't see a reason to be rude, but I don't want to talk with them either. 

• Like 1

I guess I'm the lone person, who 90% of the time just answers the door and talks to them.  I feel that they must have such a tough job, especially in the Texas heat, that usually I will say, "Hey, not interested in the product, but you can leave a brochure.  Also, would you like a bottle of water before you go?"

We're so busy though, that we're not even home during the prime time most folks would come to the door.  Hockey practice, TaeKwonDo, art class, in addition to work, etc., just means we're frequently out. 

The last time I encountered anyone at the door wasn't even my house, but my grandmother's house.  Some LDS missionaries came to the door and no one else in the family would answer the door or speak with them.  (I have some evangelical family members who are leery of LDS and JWs).  I answered the door and spoke w/ them for a bit (no more than 15 minutes).  They were very enthusiastic :001_rolleyes: :laugh: but not scary or rude.  I told them I was familiar with their theology, but as someone who was an agnostic Episcopalian, didn't have any use for more religion.   They left with their bottles of water and that was that!

• Like 2

Also, would you like a bottle of water before you go?"

Aww. People in the Houston area were so nice to me when I went there for a business trip. I became totally lost (pre smartphone days) trying go get on some beltway, pulled to the curb in front of a house where a woman was sitting on the porch, and asked for directions. Ended up explaining my reason for my visit, telling her about my job, and got a glass of lemonade to boot!

I guess I'm the lone person, who 90% of the time just answers the door and talks to them.  I feel that they must have such a tough job, especially in the Texas heat, that usually I will say, "Hey, not interested in the product, but you can leave a brochure.  Also, would you like a bottle of water before you go?"

We're so busy though, that we're not even home during the prime time most folks would come to the door.  Hockey practice, TaeKwonDo, art class, in addition to work, etc., just means we're frequently out. 

The last time I encountered anyone at the door wasn't even my house, but my grandmother's house.  Some LDS missionaries came to the door and no one else in the family would answer the door or speak with them.  (I have some evangelical family members who are leery of LDS and JWs).  I answered the door and spoke w/ them for a bit (no more than 15 minutes).  They were very enthusiastic :001_rolleyes: :laugh: but not scary or rude.  I told them I was familiar with their theology, but as someone who was an agnostic Episcopalian, didn't have any use for more religion.   They left with their bottles of water and that was that!

I don't have a no soliciting sign.  

When they knock, I just open the door and tell them 'no thank you, I'm not interested'. I try to open and shut the door normally, but without giving them enough time to say much of anything at all.  LOL  

If it is a person sharing their faith, I usually say "thanks for you time" and give them a smile, or something that is relatively kind, but not so much so that they try to start talking again. 

If my son is home, and it is a religious order.....I let him have a bit of fun dissecting the bible with them.  He isn't rude or unkind, just the opposite.  He really wants to understand how they interpret different parts of the Bible.  He has a Bible/Theology and Ministry BS degree.

For teens, I only buy from one person in each group a year, so I usually end up saying "someone else got here first, sorry".  We are on the boundary of two school districts so we get teens from both districts selling items. 

We live within a half mile of 4 churches...Baptist, 7th day Adventist, Mormon, JW.  We get quite a few fliers inviting us to their events and knocks on the door to chat.  I don't see a reason to be rude, but I don't want to talk with them either. 

I just wanted to comment on how refreshing your kindness is.  I am always baffled as to why people feel the need to be rude in situations like these.  There's about a million different ways to handle these things and being rude doesn't help anything, but only makes people look bad, IMO. Even though home owners don't want to participate, buy or learn anything (hey, I'm one of those types, too!) they don't have to be ugly about it.   But kindness always goes a long way.  :hurray:

eta: I always try to remember that when I'm frustrated with unexpected visitors/sales people, etc., that there is some reason this is important to them (whether it's because of income, or faith, or...??) and it's not an easy thing to do.  I still don't answer the door from a safety standpoint, but even if caught in the yard, or whatever, I try to be nice.  They go away just the same as if I was rude, so why not just be nice??  

• Like 2

My issue with them even leaving a pamphlet is that I already have enough paper clutter that I need to recycle. It's such a waste of paper to take something I'm going to get rid of as soon as they are gone. Yesterday during DS's First Communion party, a saleman came up to our open garage that was filled with family and kids playing basketball in the driveway and try to leave a flyer for whatever he was selling. DH told him rather forcefully we didn't want it.

When I'm home, I'll usually answer the door, so if it's someone trying to see which houses are empty, they know ours isn't. I'm very short with people because, while I sympathize that it's not easy work, it's inherently rude to interrupt someone's home uninvited. It's different if it's kids fundraising, but I only buy things I actually want.

I've never had a no soliciting sign, but if I did, it would include an exception for anyone selling tamales.

I am really only ok with tamale sellers and kids with candy and cookies. Since moving to SC I haven't had anyone trying to sell me tamales. It bums me out.

I'll offer the Mormon kids on bikes some bottles of water since I feel bad for them being out in the Southern heat but otherwise I just tell everyone "no thank you."

I just wanted to comment on how refreshing your kindness is.  I am always baffled as to why people feel the need to be rude in situations like these.  There's about a million different ways to handle these things and being rude doesn't help anything, but only makes people look bad, IMO. Even though home owners don't want to participate, buy or learn anything (hey, I'm one of those types, too!) they don't have to be ugly about it.   But kindness always goes a long way.  :hurray:

eta: I always try to remember that when I'm frustrated with unexpected visitors/sales people, etc., that there is some reason this is important to them (whether it's because of income, or faith, or...??) and it's not an easy thing to do.  I still don't answer the door from a safety standpoint, but even if caught in the yard, or whatever, I try to be nice.  They go away just the same as if I was rude, so why not just be nice??  

See, that's how I feel about the people and organizations who interrupt my time at home. I am baffled as to why they feel the need to be rude by coming uninvited. Especially in this day and age when there are so many less-invasive ways to reach people who are interested (social media sites, YouTube videos, ads, etc.) without bothering those of us who aren't.

Now, I don't think I've ever been ugly about it, but frankly, the initial rudeness is on the part of the person who came to the door.

And I think the people who are rude hope that maybe if enough people are rude, these organizations will figure out that there are better ways to communicate their message.

• Like 4

See, that's how I feel about the people and organizations who interrupt my time at home. I am baffled as to why they feel the need to be rude by coming uninvited. Especially in this day and age when there are so many less-invasive ways to reach people who are interested (social media sites, YouTube videos, ads, etc.) without bothering those of us who aren't.

Now, I don't think I've ever been ugly about it, but frankly, the initial rudeness is on the part of the person who came to the door.

And I think the people who are rude hope that maybe if enough people are rude, these organizations will figure out that there are better ways to communicate their message.

Yes, this. People who show up at my house uninvited and unannounced are the rude ones.

Every time there's a new batch of missionaries, we get a visit. DH grew up LDS, and despite living in something like 9 places in our 11 years of marriage, they always mysteriously seem to know where we are. So up they come, the little cuties, and every single time it is the exact same exchange. "Is DH home?" -no he isn't. "What would be a better time to catch him?" -he doesn't want to be caught.

I just practically shouted down the driveway at some approaching Jehovah's Witnesses the other day not to ring my doorbell. I had just put the baby down.

I'm fine with neighborhood kids selling their fundraising stuff. I always try to support them. I guess I'd rather be sold some cookies than some religion.

...Who ignore your very obvious "No Soliciting" sign; and when you bring it to their attention, proceed to tell you how they're NOT selling anything?

I usually follow up the encounter by calling their company and reporting my frustration. Anyone have a good way of handling the person while he/she is standing on the porch?

It's going to be a l-o-o-n-g summer.

Assuming you answer the door thinking it's someone you were expecting:

"Pardon me for interrupting [they will keep talking through this, never mind that, keep going yourself in a kind but firm voic] but I'm very busy right now and not interested. I'm going to say good bye and then shut the door. Good bye. I'm shutting the door [as I shut the door, even though they are still trying to get through their pitch]."

Usually, they will stop after "good bye" but occasionally they won't.

That's when you literally have to gently shut the door in their face, though with a kind voice.

That is polite enough for someone who doesn't follow a "no soliciting" sign.

I am really only ok with tamale sellers and kids with candy and cookies. Since moving to SC I haven't had anyone trying to sell me tamales. It bums me out.

I'll offer the Mormon kids on bikes some bottles of water since I feel bad for them being out in the Southern heat but otherwise I just tell everyone "no thank you."

It has been a while, but we used to have -- in addition to the tamales and meats sellers -- people drive up from The Valley (as in Rio Grande Valley) with grapefruit in their trucks. 

I usually open the door, listen to the beginning of their spiel, and politely say that I'm not interested.  If they continue, I turn on The Teacher Voice and say, "I told you I am not interested.  Have a good day."  The Teacher Voice may be accompanied by The Death Glare if they keep trying to talk over me.  I close the door after that point.  I don't want to be rude.  But if they are refusing to hear me saying no, they are the ones being rude.

This next tip doesn't help keep people away, but it is effective for enforcing knocking instead of doorbell ringing: I wrote on an index card "Sleeping baby inside - DO NOT RING BELL! Please knock instead. :)"  Then I taped it over the doorbell.  I just leave it up all the time, not only when the little one is actually napping.  The result is that most people will knock very softly.  Maybe that can be helpful for some of you!

• Like 1

I'm firm but only rude if they don't listen the first time. By firm, when I answer the door, I immediately state "I'm not interested" and clsoe the door. I go to rude if they start trying to sell even though I've already send no. Firm because they have "invaded" my property, uninvited. If I want to buy something, I will seek it out. Secondly, so many are really not trying to sell something but are scoping out the property to rob it. They are seeing if anyone is home. If they aren't, then they are going around back to break in. However, I do not do this to Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, or other youth. I sometimes by from them and am always friendly to them.

I had a guy come to the back door once and stare at me through the door as I was changing a diaper. He could see I was dealing with a diaper full of poop and he just kept watching me and knocking away. Really creepy. Had no problem telling him to LEAVE NOW. Usually I'm super apologetic and just keep saying "no thanks" as I close the door.

I liked it when we had FIL's big dog over.  The salesman that came never even rang the bell or knocked.  When he saw that big dog growling at the window he just moved on to the next house (where they have some vicious sounding dogs) and the next house (more dogs) and the next house (a scary-looking owner)....

• Like 1

I'm firm but only rude if they don't listen the first time. By firm, when I answer the door, I immediately state "I'm not interested" and clsoe the door. I go to rude if they start trying to sell even though I've already send no. Firm because they have "invaded" my property, uninvited. If I want to buy something, I will seek it out. Secondly, so many are really not trying to sell something but are scoping out the property to rob it. They are seeing if anyone is home. If they aren't, then they are going around back to break in. However, I do not do this to Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, or other youth. I sometimes by from them and am always friendly to them.

I once found a "notice" on my back gate, which happens to be the main entrance my family uses at our house (due to the particular configuration of our lot, and not the usual practice in our neighborhood).  As we were leaving the neighborhood I found the guy "delivering" notices to front doors and back/side gates, but he was spending a lot more time when going to the gates, peering about.  I called the police and reported the activity and then returned to my house for a forgotten item.  I saw the young man heading in one direction as a police car turned a corner, so I flagged down the police car, gave the officer a copy of the flyer, and pointed out the direction the guy had taken.  As I was leaving again I saw them with the guy, and the officer was reaching for handcuffs.  They were standing near the back gate of yet another house, too far back for any innocent delivery of flyers.

Open door; discover it is a salesman/evangelist/pollster; shut door while saying "no thank-you" ignoring any attempt to reply

No, I'm not polite, but I'm okay with that.

Fortunately living on a cul de sac cuts down on the number of door-to-door people. There are a few who think it's worth trying our small street, and when they do I use Plink's method above. I know some are legitimate sales people trying to make a living so if they're polite I'm not rude, but I'm not going to stand there and listen to why I should change my "no thank you". I say it politely and shut the door.

I usually open the door, listen to the beginning of their spiel, and politely say that I'm not interested.  If they continue, I turn on The Teacher Voice and say, "I told you I am not interested.  Have a good day."  The Teacher Voice may be accompanied by The Death Glare if they keep trying to talk over me.  I close the door after that point.  I don't want to be rude.  But if they are refusing to hear me saying no, they are the ones being rude.

I think that's the part that ticks me off the most. Not only have they interrupted me while I'm doing something far more important (to me), but they so often refuse to accept a polite "not interested." I really just want to ask "What part of 'no' did you not comprehend?"

Hahaha, the bell just rang and freaked out my kids. I answered, went on the porch and proceeded to have some fun. I vented about the neighbor who is killing my yard, taking the young man by surprise. Then I accepted his flyer and signed up. Ă°Å¸Ëœâ‚¬ In my defense, it was something I planned to do, but hadn't gotten around too.

Our neighborhood has a No Soliciting sign at the entrance.  We still get people and I got a scruffy looking guy today.  I really don't feel safe opening the door to strange guys.  I did and took his card and told him no, thank you and that he is not supposed to be going door-to-door in this neighborhood.  He just looked at me and didn't say anything.  I hope I didn't offend him, but I'm sure he knew he wasn't supposed to be doing what he was doing.

We live in a somewhat rural area. The last time I remember a door-to-door salesman calling on us was last Summer, when a roofing contractor was trying to drum up business after a hail storm. And I have no idea how long it had been before that. We just don't get people out here.

It has been a while, but we used to have -- in addition to the tamales and meats sellers -- people drive up from The Valley (as in Rio Grande Valley) with grapefruit in their trucks. 

If someone is going to just show up at my house with decent produce I might be interested. :lol:

Valley grapefruit rocks!

What a difference geography makes. Around here you have kids who come to the door offering to pick (glean) the citrus on your backyard trees that you know you won't get around to picking yourself. :D

Actually it's Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts and the fruit goes to a food pantry. Most people with backyard orange or grapefruit trees end up with more fruit than they can give away, because even friends and family often have their own backyard trees. Rather than let it drop and rot on the ground (rotting citrus smells awful) it goes to a good cause.

• Like 1

We moved to a small town with an ordinance against door-to-door sales.  :)  There are exceptions for scouts and school groups though, and we never mind supporting those the first time they come around during a campaign.  

We don't have a front door where we live- just a garage on the front of the house with a doorbell.  So when someone rings the doorbell I have to go up a flight of stairs (split level), push the button for the garage, and then wait for it to go up.  It's a process.  Also, because of where the doorbell is, I cannot see from the house who may be standing in front of my garage unless I run upstairs and use a bedroom window.

I've been interrupted several times now since moving here last July by the same group of elderly people who want to share their faith.   It's a little disturbing having these older people ringing my bell because I truly don't want their chatter, but because they are older that "respect your elders" mentality kicks in and I try really hard to be kind but firm as I shoo them away.  If they come by one more time, though, I'm going to ask them to please put me on their list of "do not visit" places because I'm genuinely not interested, and I think that interrupting my day is pretty danged rude.  

I never ever get door to door salespeople.

When I l lived in Brooklyn, I had a Jehovah's Witness stop by, but that was about it.  I took her "Watchtower" magazine, asked her where she bought her cute long denim skirt, and said "thank you."  End of story.

• Like 1

Several years ago I was required to go door to door for my job (investments) and I didn't realize how much negativity there was out there! Thankfully people were much kinder to me than what I see represented here.

I'm glad people were kind to you. I'm sure it's difficult to try to sell door-to-door. The problem (and I think that's what you're seeing in the responses) is that door-to-door sales is HUGELY intrusive. I can recycle the stuff that comes in the mailbox. But I despise the endless telephone automated calls and hang-ups. Even if I don't pick up the phone, I have to check the I.D. in case it's actually someone important. Having someone at my door wanting to take up my time for something I have not expressed any interest in is even worse.

• Like 1

I don't get much solicitation here,  we now live on an out of the way street in a more rural suburban area.  The only ones that tend to come around now are the kids from the high school looking to sell discount cards for their sports teams.  

I did have a sign when we lived in VA, that said, 

NO SOLICITATION

We are happy with our religion or lack there of.

We are happy with our political affiliation

We don't need whatever you're selling.

If you don't know what Solicitation means, go find a dictionary and look it up.  

Yes I had pretty much gotten to the end of my rope with all the home improvement companies telling me they weren't soliciting.  

• Like 1

1. I don't open the door.  I am under no obligation to open the door to someone simply because they ring my doorbell.

2. If I do open the door (perhaps they look innocent) and I don't want what they are selling, I become the "nanny," but I will be sure to pass their card onto the owners.

:)

Hot Lava Mama

• Like 1

Memorize a lengthy passage in a not-so-well-known language like Icelandic or Georgian (Klingon works too) and as soon as you open the door, start your schpeel. Don't let them get a word in edgewise. 99% of them won't come back and you'll get marked on everyone's list as the crazy gibberish woman.

Your kids can get in on the action too. Maybe different languages for all of you. Being shouted all at once. That would be fun.

Liking this was not enough. This is fantastic!!

To answer OP, I usually answer the door and ask for a brochure. If they don't have one or press for a fast decision, I say that my husband and I always discuss these issues together. I had one Comcast guy try to push me by asking if I knew that in 80% of households the wife makes the decisions. I thanked him and said I would begin implementing that system by saying no to his oh so fabulous offer. Jerk.

• Like 1

1. I don't open the door. I am under no obligation to open the door to someone simply because they ring my doorbell.

2. If I do open the door (perhaps they look innocent) and I don't want what they are selling, I become the "nanny," but I will be sure to pass their card onto the owners.

:)

Hot Lava Mama

I am the nanny when I accidentally answer telemarketer calls.
  • Like 1

I'm out of likes again!

I generally go to the door and shout through the closed windows beside it that I'm not interested- I'm afraid if I don't answer someone will try and break in.

Normally it's a neighbor, not a salesperson though.

I did make an exception for the Mormon boys - they were so young and exhausted looking they clearly needed some encouragement.

• Like 1

I'm out of likes again!

I generally go to the door and shout through the closed windows beside it that I'm not interested- I'm afraid if I don't answer someone will try and break in.

Normally it's a neighbor, not a salesperson though.

I did make an exception for the Mormon boys - they were so young and exhausted looking they clearly needed some encouragement.

See, I've got to shoo those Mormon boys off before Dd sees them and starts singing "and I believe." It wouldn't be right to annoy them after they hiked all day.

• Like 1

I never ever get door to door salespeople.

When I l lived in Brooklyn, I had a Jehovah's Witness stop by, but that was about it. I took her "Watchtower" magazine, asked her where she bought her cute long denim skirt, and said "thank you." End of story.

I saw some JV's taking a different approach today. They set up a rack with brochures and magazines in the free speech area outside the public library. Rather than stand there trying to hand anything to anyone, they sat in the shade a few feet away. Lazy? Perhaps. Less annoying than going door to door or bugging people at bus stops? Definitely.

• Like 1

I saw some JV's taking a different approach today. They set up a rack with brochures and magazines in the free speech area outside the public library. Rather than stand there trying to hand anything to anyone, they sat in the shade a few feet away. Lazy? Perhaps. Less annoying than going door to door or bugging people at bus stops? Definitely.

They've been doing this in my area too. Not sure what that's about. The group that meets less than two miles from my house still canvasses the neighborhood regularly. I just don't open the door anymore, because I'm finding it hard to be polite (and I really try to be--I'm Mormon so I get it) about the fact that they don't seem to get the hint when I tell them I'm not interested, I'm Mormon, please don't come back, blah blah blah.

I got the meat truck one time. It didn't help his case that he drove an unmarked pickup truck. But mostly we have been *swarmed* with solar panel salespeople. Several of my immediate neighbors have purchased (though I think it's technically leased) them, and they come through again and again and again. Apparently someone gave them my name too because I got mail, hand addressed to me, with flyers inside. Really it's bordering on harassment. My dad said one of them turned up at his house with a clipboard and informed him that she "needed to check" his house to see if solar panels would work, as if she was a government official or something. She wanted to walk around to the back to do her "inspection". Instead she was bluntly told to get off the property.

I would not bother to call the company. That is a waste of your time and energy. Where we live there is an entrance gate, but sometimes we do have people walking around trying to sell things. Very rare. Most recently it was Directv Colombia, a company we are happily divorced from. The houses here are fenced on all sides, so people cannot walk up to our front door as they can at houses in the states.

I suggest that if someone comes to your door you simply tell them, "We have a household rule that prohibits purchasing anything from anyone who comes to our door"

Telephone solicitors are a problem we have much more frequently.  We  tell them, "We have a household rule that prohibits purchasing anything from anyone who calls on the phone"

• Like 1