Menu

Are There Any REALLY, REALLY Tame Superhero Shows?

wendyroo

Peter (just turned 6) has anxiety disorder (and ASD).  He is very nervous about...well, life...but especially about shows, cartoons, movies, etc.  Some of the LeapFrog shows are too scary, Salsa Spanish was too scary, Curious George cartoons are too scary, Wild Kratts are too scary, etc.  

However, his psychiatrist recently upped his dosage of anti-anxiety meds and we are starting to see some progress.  A couple weeks ago he made it through Mary Poppins only having to leave the room a few times.  This is HUGE!!  Six months ago he could not make it through more than 10 minutes of the Winnie the Pooh movie.

Peter is very into superheroes, especially Marvel superheroes.  He reads all sorts of "non-fiction" superhero encyclopedias and can tell you all of their powers and origin stories.  He has also gotten to the point that he can handle some fiction stories, but only tame Step Into Reading stories that don't involve much peril or violence.

His therapist would like him to try watching a superhero show or movie.  She feels that we need to take advantage of his interest and keep offering him age-appropriate experiences even if they are not quite in his comfort zone.  OTOH, we both think it would be most beneficial if it was a positive experience and he had some degree of success watching even a short portion of a fictional superhero show.

I know nothing about fictional superhero shows or movies.  DH and I will pre-watch anything before showing it to Peter, but we don't even know where to start.  Are the old Christopher Reeve Superman movies a bit tame...perhaps even lame?  That would be good.  What about cartoons?  Are there superhero cartoons that are a bit slower-paced and calmer?  As a point of comparison, we tried the old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle cartoons and Peter freaked out in the first couple minutes.   :sad:

Thanks,

Wendy

How about the George Reeve Superman shows from the 50's?

Greatest American Hero from the 80's I remember as being very tame, but not sure it would appeal.

There's lots of animated superhero stuff out there - maybe one of those? Maybe less intense when it's not live action?

• Like 2

The old animated Spiderman cartoons are very tame. They were on Netflix Instant Watch recently. Let me see if they still are.  :gnorsi:

ETA: Yep, they are still on instant watch. It's called Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. They were made in the early '80's so by far more tame than superhero cartoon that are made today.

• Like 4

I haven't watched any but the fisher-price website has videos...some are their rescue heroes line.

My ds loved Rescue Heroes when he was little! The toys are great, too. :)

But they do things like putting out fires and rescuing people -- would those things be too scary or feel too "real" to your ds?

The intended audience is very young, but you said he gets scared easily. Maybe there are some sample clips on YouTube.

The old animated Spiderman cartoons are very tame. They were on Netflix Instant Watch recently. Let me see if they still are. :gnorsi:

ETA: Yep, they are still on instant watch. It's called Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. They were made in the early '80's so by far more tame than superhero cartoon that are made today.

I remember those! Should I be very very ashamed that I could still sing the whole theme song with all the words right now off the top of my head?

• Like 1

How is he with live action, as opposed to cartoon? My 8yo still freaks out at cartoons. But live action is fine. So, the Avengers movies he is great with, but bawled, cried, and begged to leave the theatre through Epic, Frozen, etc. Had to leave the classroom when they watched the Alice in Wonderland cartoon in K. But, yeah, anything you would think is too violent for him, he's fine with, as long as it's not a cartoon.

The Lego superhero movies are very good.

Batman Brave and Bold is probably the tamest of the animated lot.

The marvel movies are all too much and I would bet the tv show is as well. If you did want to try one, Avengers, while full of fighting, only has one scene where a human is hurt.

• Like 3

My kids love the Veggietales Larryboy movies, there are probably four of them right now. Minnesota Cuke is also a hit - apparently Larry as a bumbling hero is big for them. I have a kiddos who is frightened of Spud from Bob the Builder, so I'd say the Veggietales are fairly tame.

1) Word Girl

It has really silly bad guys.  My favorite is Chuck, the Evil Sandwich-Making-Guys.  I even dressed up as him for Halloween a few years ago (our whole family went as Word Girl characters).  I bought fake ketchup and mustard squirters and squirted the other Trick-or-Treaters.

2) Not a superhero, but Scooby Doo.  They teach that it's usually a bad guy, not something supernatural.  Watching Shaggy and Scooby be chased is funny.  Our 4yo are fine with some episodes, but scared by others.  These are easily purchased at Target for a modest price.

***My children were scared when they were younger; the 4yo is still scared sometimes.  After watching them 100+ times, they become less scary.

3) We've had good luck with:
--fast forwarding on demand and watching as often as requested
or
--muting the sound and reading aloud the subtitles (I do this for watching zombie movies.  I'm a scaredy cat!)
or
--stopping the movie and asking what the child thinks will happen next.  This is not a magic cure.  You will still have to fast forward through the scary parts.  .....But it introduces the idea that no matter how scary the movie is, the good guy always wins.

4) See if you can read a book/graphic novel version before watching the movie.  Having no surprises may help eliminate the anxiety.  A good comic book store may be able to help you with this.

Good Luck.  He's a lucky little guy to have parents who will go to the mat for him!

• Like 3

I remember those! Should I be very very ashamed that I could still sing the whole theme song with all the words right now off the top of my head?

I'm more judgmental about people who CAN'T sing the entire theme song right now off the top of their head.  It's basic cultural literacy.  

• Like 3

Not superhero, but Peg Plus Cat is a fantastic cartoon for kids with anxiety.  She demonstrates a lot of constructive self-talk through her "really big problems" that the kids can incorporate into their own life - techniques like counting backwards from five, taking a deep breath, etc. 

• Like 2

are those old Shazam! shows on DVD yet?  Those were pretty darn mild, that I can remember......Even when I was 6 I remember they made me roll my eyes, but I still liked them.

And when I was older there was "Electra Woman and Dyna Girl"! My sisters and I loved those. Again, very mild.  They were a campier send up of the campy original Batman show.

Seconding Batman the Brave and the Bold. Some of the older ones are also plenty tame, but they're so bad. Like unwatchable bad. Some of the old stuff is good too, like the 90's era Batman and X-Men, but also not going to be gentle enough.

And maybe the campy live action Batman from the 60's because it's so bad it's good.

• Like 1

are those old Shazam! shows on DVD yet? Those were pretty darn mild, that I can remember......Even when I was 6 I remember they made me roll my eyes, but I still liked them.

Oh yeah! And remember the other one on at the same time - Oh Mighty Isis?

Hey, what about the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman?

• Like 1

The only thing I'm coming up with is The Wonderpets. Faith was watching it earlier today, otherwise I would never have thought of it.

I hope you find something perfect for him to try. :grouphug:

"Believe it or not, I'm walking on air; I never thought I could feel so free-ee-eee!"

• Like 1

FWIW, have you also taken the time to explain how stories work?  How "they" use a problem to develop interest, and how "they" always solve the problem in a happy way (I am assuming you don't plan to show dystopian childrens' shows ;)).  Having dealt with (and continuing to deal with) similar anxiety over shows, that discussion (which would happen before, during, and after all shows and most books) helped some.  

We have done a lot of pausing and discussing, and in general old shows or those with real people are less dramatic than Pooh Bear or Disney things.  The shows that have intense drama that is reinforced with intense music (like a lot of kids' cartoons) can be just too much.

Wonder Pets are a good possibility - they worked for us.  We did have a book or two of them beforehand, and were able to discuss how it worked.  Word Girl and Super Why seem like really good suggestions too, but I haven't actually had the shows available to us so IDK.

Also, FWIW, Barney is very cheesy but has a lot of positive teaching about emotions and is a very friendly way to have some TV - I believe the Around the World one even has a song about feeling nervous and describes the feelings and how they are normal to have.

For us it has been years, but now my child is able to watch things that provoke a physical reaction, and power through and even enjoy many shows (the stress reaction isn't gone, but there is understanding of it and not fear of what their own body is doing to them while it is happening).

How about Lazy Town?

I thought of Sporticus from Lazy town too when I read the Op. We found it on Netflix. We just looked it up recently because dh was talking about Spartacus at dinner, and dd was very confused and asking weird questions. Finally we figured out that she had Spartacus confused with Sporticus from Lazy town. :lol: I was surprised she even remembered that show.

I second Larryboy as well.

• Like 2

FWIW, have you also taken the time to explain how stories work?  How "they" use a problem to develop interest, and how "they" always solve the problem in a happy way (I am assuming you don't plan to show dystopian childrens' shows ;) ).  Having dealt with (and continuing to deal with) similar anxiety over shows, that discussion (which would happen before, during, and after all shows and most books) helped some.  

What a great idea! Maybe get some diagrams of how story construction works, with the build up to a climax, etc and then point it out while watching. Oh, look, now it's getting kind of scary, that means we are almost to the top of the hill, then they will figure it out and it will be happy as we roll down the hill, or whatever. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the ideas!!

DH and I are going to be looking for some of these things on Netflix and pre-watching some this weekend.  I'm especially going to be checking out some of the "real" superheroes like Batman the Brave and the Bold and Superhero Squad.  Peter is slowly developing a tentative friendship with a neurotypical 6 year old boy, and he (the friend) has moved beyond PBS preschool fare and watches Power Rangers, Ultimate Spiderman, Transformers, etc.  Peter is no where ready for those, but I would love to get him watching something that would give them some common ground.  Right now Peter is apt to bring up a Dinosaur Train episode he watched (there are still many episodes he deems too scary) and though the friend so far has been polite enough not to say it outright, he obviously thinks that Dinosaur Train is very babyish and so two years ago.

Thanks again,

Wendy

• Like 1

FWIW, have you also taken the time to explain how stories work?  How "they" use a problem to develop interest, and how "they" always solve the problem in a happy way (I am assuming you don't plan to show dystopian childrens' shows ;)).  Having dealt with (and continuing to deal with) similar anxiety over shows, that discussion (which would happen before, during, and after all shows and most books) helped some.  

We've done a lot of this, as have his therapists over the years.  Unfortunately, his reactions are born of anxiety and panic and aren't really swayed by logic.  I can tell him ahead of time what is going to happen in a Curious George episode.  We can story board it and narrate it and discuss why the characters act as they do.  We can reiterate over and over that it will all work out in the end.  We can turn the volume way down and we can prepare Peter with a blanket to put over his head when it gets too scary.  

When the rubber meets the road, though, and George starts getting into mischief and the suspense starts to build, Peter just loses it.  We might make it through the episode with the sound down low and the blanket over Peter's head and him still moaning and screaming and thrashing in our lap because he just knows something "BAD!!" is going to happen, but even if we get through it today, that will not lessen the panic if we force him to watch that same episode tomorrow.  Rationally he knows what will happen, but his panic isn't at all rational.

Wendy

Honestly, as a mom of a child who had this issue, I am kinda questioning the necessity of this goal a little. We did the story boards and such. Nothing worked and we backed off. When he was older, his friend wanted him to watch a Marvel movie. He wasn't sure but told his friend that he'd try. His friend offered to tell him when something bad was going to happen and he would decide if he wanted to close his eyes or leave the room for a moment. He made it through that movie with 1 brief exit with no freak outs. He's since seen most of the Marvel franchise movies and loves them. Honestly, time rather than coaching him through it, got us there much more efficiently. When he was 4, he couldn't handle Curious George type things or Horton Hears a Who. He just watched primarily non-fiction documentary and science type shows until he was ready on his own. A little gentle peer pressure (really encouragement) and some time to grow up more was all he needed. It seemed like a big deal when he was 6 but no child needs to watch and enjoy a movie that is hard for him. I think he was in the 5th grade.

Also, we let out younger son watch some cartoon versions of Marvel and it caused more headaches than it was worth, really and truly. We actually cancelled Netflix for awhile so he wouldn't have access to them.

• Like 1

We've done a lot of this, as have his therapists over the years.  Unfortunately, his reactions are born of anxiety and panic and aren't really swayed by logic.  I can tell him ahead of time what is going to happen in a Curious George episode.  We can story board it and narrate it and discuss why the characters act as they do.  We can reiterate over and over that it will all work out in the end.  We can turn the volume way down and we can prepare Peter with a blanket to put over his head when it gets too scary.  

When the rubber meets the road, though, and George starts getting into mischief and the suspense starts to build, Peter just loses it.  We might make it through the episode with the sound down low and the blanket over Peter's head and him still moaning and screaming and thrashing in our lap because he just knows something "BAD!!" is going to happen, but even if we get through it today, that will not lessen the panic if we force him to watch that same episode tomorrow.  Rationally he knows what will happen, but his panic isn't at all rational.

Wendy

Since it is this bad, I probably personally wouldn't bother with trying to watch superhero videos - I'd do comics.  Read them to him/with him.  

I am surprised that you were recommended to handle it that way - it sounds like a way to feed the anxiety instead of alleviate it.  FWIW, we also deal with anxiety and not logic - understanding how story lines work doesn't keep my kid from sweating out their shirt over innocuous cartoons, but it does help my child understand how to tame this particular "worry dragon" and have their own control over it, in spite of the fear and physical reactions.  I understand that you are dealing with a different child and some additional diagnoses (and you are a few years behind us), so of course YMMV.

Honestly, as a mom of a child who had this issue, I am kinda questioning the necessity of this goal a little. We did the story boards and such. Nothing worked and we backed off. When he was older, his friend wanted him to watch a Marvel movie. He wasn't sure but told his friend that he'd try. His friend offered to tell him when something bad was going to happen and he would decide if he wanted to close his eyes or leave the room for a moment. He made it through that movie with 1 brief exit with no freak outs. He's since seen most of the Marvel franchise movies and loves them. Honestly, time rather than coaching him through it, got us there much more efficiently. When he was 4, he couldn't handle Curious George type things or Horton Hears a Who. He just watched primarily non-fiction documentary and science type shows until he was ready on his own. A little gentle peer pressure (really encouragement) and some time to grow up more was all he needed. It seemed like a big deal when he was 6 but no child needs to watch and enjoy a movie that is hard for him. I think he was in the 5th grade.

Also, we let out younger son watch some cartoon versions of Marvel and it caused more headaches than it was worth, really and truly. We actually cancelled Netflix for awhile so he wouldn't have access to them.

I don't know if it is a realistic goal, but I don't want to avoid trying because it might be too much for him.  

Peter could really, really use something age-appropriate in his life.  He uses awkward phrasing and baby talk and doesn't make eye contact.  He can't seem to stop himself from grabbing toys (a lot) when he plays with other kids.  He is just now getting comfortable riding a tricycle.  He doesn't like wet things or sandy things or wiggling things or dirty things like his peers.  At the park he gravitates to the three foot toddler slide because he is nervous about climbing higher.

If we could make it through one episode of Superhero Squad I think that would give him a huge boost of pride and self confidence and give him some common ground with his friend.

I don't know.  I never know with Peter.

Wendy

I don't know if it is a realistic goal, but I don't want to avoid trying because it might be too much for him.

Peter could really, really use something age-appropriate in his life. He uses awkward phrasing and baby talk and doesn't make eye contact. He can't seem to stop himself from grabbing toys (a lot) when he plays with other kids. He is just now getting comfortable riding a tricycle. He doesn't like wet things or sandy things or wiggling things or dirty things like his peers. At the park he gravitates to the three foot toddler slide because he is nervous about climbing higher.

If we could make it through one episode of Superhero Squad I think that would give him a huge boost of pride and self confidence and give him some common ground with his friend.

I don't know. I never know with Peter.

Wendy

(((Wendy)))

I know. Punk was 9 before he rode without training wheels. He stopped riding with other kids at age 7 because he picked up on the vibe that he was a baby. I am so continually thankful that he made one good friend early on who, while not ASD like Punk, is quirky and accepting of Punk as is. He couldn't swing himself at the park until after age 10, and the list just feels never ending some days.

Our experience has been similar to Katie's, time and lots of scaffolding in the areas of anxiety have been where we've experienced success.

If you are able to pre-watch I imagine you'll find at least one or two of the Super Hero Squad or Batman Brave and Bold that will work. There is a series of comics that is about the Super Hero Squad version of the characters. Maybe that would be a way to ease into that?

Have you tried watching an episode backwards? Watch the last 5 minutes of the show where the conflict is resolved and everything turns out ok, then watch the last 12 minutes where the conflict starts so there is no build up and he doesn't have to worry for a few minutes leading up to the conflict- he just immediately watches the conflict then the resolution. Finally watch the whole show.

• Like 1

Is it possible you can just elaborate verbally on some of the powers the various heroes possess? My DS has seen zero actual Marvel superhero shows but he knows their basic abilities from playing with older boys at the park. I helped him learn a bit more so he could play along without seeming odd, but I wasn't ready for him to actually watch any.

• Like 1

A huge Thank you! From my children. They love the super pets books and will find the show hilarious.