Menu

Has anyone moved to TX for more freedom?

stm4him

So I'm getting Corpus Christi, Houston, or North Padre Island.  Any other suggestions?  

Victoria is a pretty good sized city (around 86,000 people) that is not that far from the beach. Rockport is 40 miles from Victoria and has a gorgeous beach area. It is the only beach we've visited that I've said I would go back. Victoria is also about 2 hours from Corpus, Houston, and San Antonio so it has a good location to bigger towns. They have a thriving homeschool community for a city that size with lots of really cool homeschool opportunites like a theater group. That would be another one I'd add to your list.

• Like 1

If you're thinking the lack of state income tax is big freedom, you might want to look into property taxes. Correct me if I'm wrong, Texans, the property taxes can be higher. 

It varies widely.  I don't think ours are bad, but we are not in city limits so we pay only county taxes.  Some school districts nearby have really high taxes.  It is all relative.

• Like 1

If I thought it would be helpful to bring up the particular freedom I would. Trust me when I say that it would only take this post WAY off track. Forget the freedoms. I am looking for people (like Ellie and Chelli) who live there.

I was born in Texas, and live here. Water supply is endangered by drought, too many people, and unencumbered fracking. Roads outside of cities aren't maintained consistently and many are being downgraded to dirt roads. Air quality is so poor here, due to pollution and pollen counts, my asthmatic child is always on medication. Medication that stunts growth.

Also, property taxes are ridiculous. Health care options are mediocre.

If I had the economic freedom to leave, I would move to the most restrictive state for homeschooling, if it meant clean air and water.

• Like 8

Arizona is pretty free and easy to homeschool :) We lived there for ten years and I loved it! 

We live in CA right now, and have not had a trouble. Just counting days and registering once a year is about it. :)

I think you should research many different states and see what each has to offer for your family, and no, I don't think you are silly to want more freedom in any way you choose. It is your family. 

Then, pray about it. Seek employment opportunities for your dh, and see how the doors open.

Hugs

Hmmmm.......maybe some of these freedoms?

5. Texas 

Texas is the highest-scoring of the top five in personal freedom (#5), thanks to policies like low alcohol regulation, sobriety checkpoint prohibition, and broad educational freedom. Texas also ranks well on the economic freedom scale. It has one of the smallest state governments in the country and low taxes. Further, the Lone Star State is the only state not to require employers to contribute to workers' compensation coverage.

The above is from this article:

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/how-free-is-your-state-the-nations-most-libertarian-states

• Like 1

The topic isn't about discussing the actual freedoms themselves as much as people's experiences moving to TX from those who did it to acquire more freedoms in different areas. If you don't know what I'm talking about then don't worry about it. I'm not trying to be rude but it can be so frustrating to post on something specific to see if there is anyone knowledgeable on a topic to respond and others jump in to criticize or question things I said I don't want to discuss.

I didn't move here; I was born and raised here and, in fact, trace my ancestery here to before the Revolution (TX Rev, I mean :) ). There are no more freedoms here than in any other state. We are not the only state to have concealed carry. There were moves for open carry when the new Lege met a few weeks ago; but, fortunately, cooler heads seemed to have prevailed and I'm hopeful that doesn't even make it to a committee vote.

As much as I love my state TX truly doesn't have more personal freedom than other states. It is a right-to-work state; however, depending on the industry/job, there are unions and some of them embody the worst of union stereotyping (intimidation, harassment, violence, etc). Former Gov Hair, erm, I mean Perry - that supposed paragon of individual freedom - almost managed to push through a requirement that every girl would need to have the Guardasil vaccine and there would be fewer allowed exemptions than currently exist. It was only when the (shoot, someone help me out here, Dallas Morning News? Austin-American Statesman? I forget) exposed his financial ties to the company that the bill died.

One thing I think is a benefit is that we have no state income tax. However, many places (i.e., most of the major cities) have high sales taxes and very high property taxes (I'm looking at you, Travis County).

The homeschool law is nice. And know that there is an actual law on the books. One is obligated to teach one's children. TX is extremely varied geographically, climatically, politically, and every other way you can think. If you want pros & cons of various places, I think all of us can give our opinions. But we really don't have "extra" freedoms.

• Like 4

...Just fascinated that there is a state with more freedom than others...  I cannot imagine, other than homeschooling laws, what extra freedoms might be available in TX.  Not asking the OP to divulge the secret, just fascinated.  

I hope you get the info you need, OP, to make a choice for your family.  If you are specifically looking for people who've moved to TX for the extra freedom as in the thread title, then I hope you'll be able to identify who those people might be (Maybe there's a secret handshake?  A symbol at the end of each post?) and pm them.  :)  Not being snarky, I really do hope you find the info you seek.

Good luck with your potential move!

[says the woman who is a bit envious that your - or your DH's - career is so readily portable.  We would have to move to very specific locations, and wouldn't have the entire world to consider as possibilities.]

A summary of where you can live in Texas from Bernie (a great movie):

Carthage is in East Texas and thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s totally different from the rest of Texas which could be five different states, actually. You got your West Texas out there with a bunch of flat ranches. Up north you got them Dallas snobs with their Mercedes. And then you got Houston, the Carcinogenic Coast is what I call it, all the way up to Louisiana. Then down south, San Antonio, thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s where the Tex meets the Mex, like the food. And then in Central Texas you got the PeopleĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Republic of Austin with a bunch of hairy-legged women and liberal fruitcakes. Course, I left out the panhandle and a lot of people do, butĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ Carthage, this is where the South begins. This is life behind the Pine Curtain and, truth be known, itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a good place.

FWIW, East Texas is the only area of Texas we wouldn't consider living.  Bit too close to those Louisianans...

• Like 8

In my search for a state there were only 2 areas of law I researched and I am looking at southern states because of climate.  The only more northernish state I am looking at (and it really isn't northern, but more northern than I am looking at) is Colorado because my husband's family is there.  

Homeschool laws were one of the two that really, really matter to our family.  Oklahoma and Arizona could possibly also fit the bill but I would rather be near water as that is how I grew up and we LOVE the beach.  

I've lived in Texas a very long time.  We mostly live in Central Texas, but do spend a good portion of the year in the Rio Grande Valley and on South Padre Island.  It's hot here.  We have bugs here.

The Valley is nice.  Very close to the beach.  Of course, the Island is actually on the beach.  If you don't mind hot, humid, water-bugs, and mosquitos, you should be fine. 

I don't know what secret freedoms we have.  I guess I've been here so long that I just take them for granted.  I'm one of those hairy liberals someone mentioned up-thread, so I may not be your demographic. 

As far as those low alcohol control laws, careful.  If you are suspected of being intoxicated and refuse a breathalyzer, your blood can be drawn right on site without your authorization.  I'm not sure how free that makes you. 

• Like 5

A summary of where you can live in Texas from Bernie (a great movie):

Carthage is in East Texas and thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s totally different from the rest of Texas which could be five different states, actually. You got your West Texas out there with a bunch of flat ranches. Up north you got them Dallas snobs with their Mercedes. And then you got Houston, the Carcinogenic Coast is what I call it, all the way up to Louisiana. Then down south, San Antonio, thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s where the Tex meets the Mex, like the food. And then in Central Texas you got the PeopleĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Republic of Austin with a bunch of hairy-legged women and liberal fruitcakes. Course, I left out the panhandle and a lot of people do, butĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ Carthage, this is where the South begins. This is life behind the Pine Curtain and, truth be known, itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a good place.

FWIW, East Texas is the only area of Texas we wouldn't consider living. Bit to close to those Louisianans...

I love the movie Bernie!! Did you know he was released?

• Like 1

In my search for a state there were only 2 areas of law I researched and I am looking at southern states because of climate. The only more northernish state I am looking at (and it really isn't northern, but more northern than I am looking at) is Colorado because my husband's family is there.

Homeschool laws were one of the two that really, really matter to our family. Oklahoma and Arizona could possibly also fit the bill but I would rather be near water as that is how I grew up and we LOVE the beach.

If a beach is really important to you then you need to visit Texas beaches and make sure it is what you are looking for. Texas beaches are not particularly beautiful. When I was a teenager we would go to Corpus Christi. One day a trash barge came through and lost part of it's load. Hundreds of jellyfish swarmed the area and we had to leave. Another time I got a tar ball stuck in my hair.

Perhaps you would love it though. Or maybe it has changed.

• Like 2

If a beach is really important to you then you need to visit Texas beaches and make sure it is what you are looking for. Texas beaches are not particularly beautiful. When I was a teenager we would go to Corpus Christi. One day a trash barge came through and lost part of it's load. Hundreds of jellyfish swarmed the area and we had to leave. Another time I got a tar ball stuck in my hair.

Perhaps you would love it though. Or maybe it has changed.

This!  I never understood why anyone would like the beach until I visited the Pacific Coast.  I'm about 45 minutes away from the Gulf Coast.

• Like 2

Sounds like you need to come to Montana. lol  No sales tax, very lax homeschool laws (no reports, no counted days, no testing required, etc), no beach of course, but plenty of open space to do what you want, in some cities a very strong medical community ;) with a strong 'natural' medicine community ....or not.  Where i live there is a good homeschool community.  And the beauty.........oh emm geee.  Lots for the kids to do and..oh yeah, great gun laws. lol

ETA: citi-data.com has always been a good source of info when I've been checking out new locations.

• Like 1

So we want the feel of out in the middle of nowhere while still be close enough to a city that my husband can work in to sell real estate.  

You are the second person in a few weeks to post here about moving cross-country to a place you've never lived in before, and hoping to have their spouse sell real estate in their new state.  Forgive me, but this just strikes me as so odd.  Will his current real estate license transfer, or will he need to retake his licensing tests, and re-study Texas specific law? When I'm buying a house, I want my real estate agent to be an expert about the local area, more so than I am.  Also, isn't the real estate business primarily about working your connections?  Isn't moving going to be just like starting over from scratch?  If oil prices are going to stay low for the next year or so, trying to start a real estate business in Texas may be very, very difficult, especially in the greater Houston area.

• Like 15

Yes, I want far south, preferably near the coast. Right now we live on 15 acres with two ponds and woods, but we are 40 minutes from 3 different beaches (which we absolutely love.) So we want the feel of out in the middle of nowhere while still be close enough to a city that my husband can work in to sell real estate. I would love an active homeschooling community, but that is not mandatory as I don't participate much here right now. As my kids get older and want to participate more I'd like the possibility to. Our house now (with the 15 acres) was $250,000 for 2000 sq. feet. I have no idea what the prices are like there nearish (within 45 minutes) to the coast.

Thanks!

Your current location sounds beautiful! :)

I don't know much about Texas, but I know people who used to live there and they would love to go back!

• Like 1

I'm in SA and it takes about an hour and a half to get to North Padre (maybe two hours; I can't recall). North Padre used to be my favorite place in Texas, until they built a Schlitterbahn. We still go during off season. The sand is nicer than the ones in Galveston, but as far as beaches go, eh. Mustang Island is right there, though. South Padre is just too dang far. We looked at real estate in Corpus not too long ago. The island is a little more expensive than Corpus, but ultimately, we will probably aim for the Hill Country and take a weekend every now and then and go to the coast. I really love SA, though. It takes little time to get to the water, and the diversity and food and history keep us here. We love Austin as well, but I loathe I35, so the Hill Country will give us access to both cities without dealing with that particular interstate. 

I think it's important for you to come check them out the beaches, though. In August. Because if you are used to nicer beaches, the ones in Texas aren't going to impress you. Sometimes they're even kinda gross (I go for the sound.) I've visited Biloxi and Mobile and Texas doesn't come close (unless South Padre is nice. I've never been. It's way too far.)

And if you come across a bug as big as your hand, don't look it in the eye. And if you get brave and decide to go at it with your shoe, you'll discover it has wings. 

As for freedoms unique to Texas, IDK. I can't imagine what that could be. I find the politicians here embarrassing for the most part. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking that the OP may want to go back and edit her thread title to remove the "freedom" part if she doesn't want us to focus on it. (I don't think she meant it to be the main topic of conversation, as it seems like she really wants to know about homeschooling and lifestyle/location options in Texas.)

I have to admit that I opened this thread mainly because I was curious about the freedom thing, too, but I'm fine with it if she would prefer not to discuss it.

Speaking as a transplant from more northern states, currently living in SE TX (day-trip distance from the Gulf):

I have a love/hate/appreciate relationship going on with living here.  I love being near DH's family, the Gulf, and certain venues in Houston.  I HATE (with a passion) just how badly the heat, humidity, and stealth mosquitoes knock me down every summer (seriously, they are sneaky little buggers, and we have both diurnal and nocturnal varieties).  I really appreciate various freedoms I have, not only in homeschooling, but in cost of living (low compared to other places in which I lived) and work pay and compensation (competitive to out-right better than other places in which I have lived).

Much as I miss snow and become house-bound during the long summers I will stay here, mostly uncomplainingly, because the advantages significantly outweigh the disadvantages.  We can afford to take trips to see far-flung family and friends we would never see if we lived anywhere else, because we have a favorable wage-to-COL ratio that provides the financial freedom to do so.  Family is important to us, so being near some AND being able to go see the others matters to us.  A lot.

• Like 2

I've been  in Texas for almost 11 years. I cannot say that I have more "freedom" here than I had in California (other than the fact that real estate in Central Texas is *way* more reasonable than in most parts of California, so we were "free" to buy a much bigger house and pay cash for it, lol). I guess people are more open about carrying (not sure what the law even is in California), but otherwise, I'm not seeing much difference.

• Like 1

Speaking as a transplant from more northern states, currently living in SE TX (day-trip distance from the Gulf):

I have a love/hate/appreciate relationship going on with living here. I love being near DH's family, the Gulf, and certain venues in Houston. I HATE (with a passion) just how badly the heat, humidity, and stealth mosquitoes knock me down every summer (seriously, they are sneaky little buggers, and we have both diurnal and nocturnal varieties). I really appreciate various freedoms I have, not only in homeschooling, but in cost of living (low compared to other places in which I lived) and work pay and compensation (competitive to out-right better than other places in which I have lived).

Much as I miss snow and become house-bound during the long summers I will stay here, mostly uncomplainingly, because the advantages significantly outweigh the disadvantages. We can afford to take trips to see far-flung family and friends we would never see if we lived anywhere else, because we have a favorable wage-to-COL ratio that provides the financial freedom to do so. Family is important to us, so being near some AND being able to go see the others matters to us. A lot.

This is very much where we are at. Texas is one of the states on our short list for moving for a number of reasons, but economic freedom as business owners, low homeschooling requirements, and low cost of living are big factors.

It is a prosperous state. We find the vigorous growth, low taxes, and opportunities available to be incredibly attractive.

This is life behind the Pine Curtain and, truth be known, itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a good place.

Yes! I live in the last teeny tiny tail end of the Pine Curtain. South of here, it's all Chinese Tallow as far as the eye can see.

ETA: You all know the price of oil is in the crapper?!? Schlumberger and Halliburton and the majors and all the pilot fish that swim with them are laying off lots of people. I know men who are thrilled to be shipped off to Angola for 6 week stints because it means they'll keep getting a paycheck--and pay the mortgage. Dh hasn't been home much at all because he's trying to scare up enough work to keep everyone on the payroll. This is perhaps not the year to move to Texas.

• Like 4

I'm sorry for being so secretive.  I'm usually an open book.  I just don't want to open up a can of worms unnecessarily.

As for real estate, we would be living for a little while off of spring commissions coming in from his business here and another state where he is licensed and runs a brokerage until he was established.  No matter where we move we will be able to make money off of his license in our original state, which he runs completely online and by phone.  He could probably do the same thing to continue his business here as well.  

I don't know.  We also discussed road schooling tonight for half of the year and living out the fall and spring in our previous state where we made better money.  But we would have to live with friends or family or in our RV or whatever during those six months.  This is all a bunch of craziness that I hope never happens, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.  

P.S.  Drinking laws do not concern us since we really don't drink.

Also, if you knew what laws I am talking about you would know that there are few states that have BOTH the freedom to homeschool without a lot of hassle AND the other freedom we are looking for AND are in a warmer climate.  I'll take heat over snow ANY DAY.  

I don't swim in the water so as long as it is warm and I can sit in a lawn chair in the sand I am good to go.  Now my husband and kids swim, but they aren't all that picky.  But you are right to say that we wouldn't really know until we visit there.  

What could also happen is that we could move to CO for a year where he has real estate connections and take the slow season to explore Texas and/or other states we may be interested in.  

I love the movie Bernie!! Did you know he was released?

I did see that.  I love the movie, but I kinda think he deserved to stay in prison.  What a story.  Hollywood can't make up something that crazy.

OP - If you are from the Carolina areas, you need to visit Texas beaches before deciding you want to be in proximity to one.  Apart from South Padre, I wouldn't put living near the beach on my list of must haves.  Galveston and Corpus are dirty.  You have to get very far south to get to beautiful white sands. That far south comes with its own set of issues... mainly being on the border of Mexico.  

Houston is amazingly hot and humid.  We lived there for several years and literally did nothing outside from April-October.  It is miserable.  San Antonio is also hot, but I would be more willing to tolerate the heat for the culture.  Austin's slogan is "Keep Austin Weird".  You either embrace that or you want to try to keep the weird people in Austin.  There are a lot of nice places and smaller cities around DFW.  Denton is a happening town.  

If I wanted beauty and outdoors, I'd be looking at Hill Country... not close proximity to the ocean.  

• Like 4

Sooooo... Stacey.... What would you recommend for Alaskans who pretty scenery and not desert? I'm actually having a hard time picking my 'ideal' part of Texas. I have family in both Galveston and San Antonio and they seem to like it there.

I was born and raised in Texas. I got a job, saved up my money, and moved the heck out at twenty. I don't know if you could even pay me to move back at this point. I love my family and memories there but I have zero desire to live there again as an adult and a parent.

• Like 1

The Hill Country is the most ideal, I think. Close (enough) proximity to both SA and Austin. 

I'm trying to figure out the freedom thing, too. :P Sod0my isn't illegal anymore. And I can't think of anything else. :P I haven't checked lately, but I don't think I'm able to run for any political office because I don't 'acknowledge the existence of a supreme being'. 

• Like 6

Sooooo... Stacey.... What would you recommend for Alaskans who pretty scenery and not desert? I'm actually having a hard time picking my 'ideal' part of Texas. I have family in both Galveston and San Antonio and they seem to like it there.

My parents live in San Antonio (and the kids and I spend about 1/10 of the year there) and it's absolutely gorgeous. 

My parents live in San Antonio (and the kids and I spend about 1/10 of the year there) and it's absolutely gorgeous.

I should look more into it! We don't mind traffic, but we do love space, especially for real estate. Nothing ranch like, but neither could we stand living in a suburb. Finding something between those two (or a really immense, reeeeeally low covenant suburb) is something I haven't seen a ton of on cursory glance. My sweet husband just began needing to find a new job three days ago, after quite awhile of if being something we talked about but that wasn't happening. But with a management change at his work he isn't eager to stay anymore and all the work for engineering and design in the energy industry seems to be in Texas and similar states.

I need more info!  Avoid West Texas because it is desert.  I'd say Hill Country area is the most scenic in Texas.  There are lots of smaller towns there.  New Braunfels is one of the bigger ones.  East Texas is pretty... tall trees, very green... but it has a bit more of a "southern" feel to it, but that is a turn off for me.  

Cities I would consider moving to in Texas: Austin area, Denton, Fort Worth area, San Antonio area, New Braunfels.  There are tons of smaller towns that I can't comment on.  We have family scattered across the state and have spent too many hours in the car going from one end of the place to the other. I have also personally lived in Dallas area, West Texas, and Houston.  My biggest issue with anything south of DFW is the heat.  I am so sick of the heat.

I've kinda wanted to give Alaska a try.  DH wants to move (just because he is always itching to try something new) and I figure if we are going to move, we should make it big.  

Central Texas/the Hill Country

And, yes, we do actually capitalize that! :)

I was born and raised in Texas. I got a job, saved up my money, and moved the heck out at twenty. I don't know if you could even pay me to move back at this point. I love my family and memories there but I have zero desire to live there again as an adult and a parent.

How does the saying go? "If I owned Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent Texas out"? But maybe the person who said that had not seen the nicer parts of the state. ;)

• Like 3

It is not about spanking or marijuana....lol.  You guys are hilarious.

We are conservative Christians and we love the south so no problems there.   You guys are not making TX sound all that great......

My husband grew up in AZ mostly and they just lived in the pool all summer.  Is it much different in south TX from April-October or worse somehow?  We are definitely summer people.  We'd take heat over cold ANY day.  But there is safety and all that.....

Safety is a priority and green is good.  But I'm wondering if Chelli feels unsafe or like she lives in a "dirty" area where she is compared to the way some of you are describing the state....

I should look more into it! We don't mind traffic, but we do love space, especially for real estate. Nothing ranch like, but neither could we stand living in a suburb. Finding something between those two (or a really immense, reeeeeally low covenant suburb) is something I haven't seen a ton of on cursory glance. My sweet husband just began needing to find a new job three days ago, after quite awhile of if being something we talked about but that wasn't happening. But with a management change at his work he isn't eager to stay anymore and all the work for engineering and design in the energy industry seems to be in Texas and similar states.

You're looking for "acreage" in Houston real estate speak. That's a couple of acres and a nice house in an exurb. The trade off is a long commute to work, shopping and kids' activities.

Good luck on the job hunt, it's a tough time for it!