Menu

Has anyone moved to TX for more freedom?

stm4him

I'm assuming you mean homeschooling freedom, so I'll answer from that viewpoint.

We already live in TX, but I will admit that the freedom we have with homeschooling here has definitely played a factor in keeping us here. i would love to move closer to my family in Arkansas, but I don't like the laws in Arkansas. I'm totally spoiled by TX so anywhere I look I get whiny.

"But you have to take a test there."

"But you have to count days there."

"But you have to notify there."

It's a really ridiculous attitude on my part to be honest, but I like being off the grid so to speak.

• Like 9

I don't think it is ridiculous at all.  I have almost 8 children.  Having to do all of that reporting x 8 would steal my joy.  I think Texas has it right (and they are not the only one).  There are other states that have great laws for homeschoolers, but not so great laws for other things or are cold.  I hate cold, so Texas is much more appealing to me.  

I love being near water so I would rather be somewhere near the Gulf, but I no nothing about Texas geography or what those cities are like.  

• Like 2

I have looked into the freedoms I am talking about (or not talking about as it were), so I know what else is available and where.  But since TX is the most appealing to me for several reasons, I thought I would ask about those who have moved there.

Homeschool laws for one.  Others that I don't want to discuss here. 

There are many states that have loose homeschool laws. In my state, a kid could disappear for four years of high school and no one would know.

Open carry is legal is something like 36 states, so that can't be the issue.

Texas is ranked as "mediocre" for personal freedom, but near the top for economic freedom at least according to this source. Perhaps this is the "freedom" you are referring to?

• Like 1

We are supposed to test and report that we homeschool and count days.

We didn't have to do all of this in CA......but it isn't that hard, besides, I have never, ever counted days, EVER.  And I am not all that compliant with the testing.  

I dare anyone to show up at my door.  I would LOVE to talk to them.

You're supposed to test and report in TX?

No.

I live Gulf-ish in Houston. While the weather is not great (hot and humid for at least 5 months of the year), I do love the diversity in population and culture that is found here as well as a TON of things for homeschoolers to do. It's pretty perfect in that respect. There are lots of other Gulf cities as well like Corpus Christi.

• Like 1

The topic isn't about discussing the actual freedoms themselves as much as people's experiences moving to TX from those who did it to acquire more freedoms in different areas.  If you don't know what I'm talking about then don't worry about it.  I'm not trying to be rude but it can be so frustrating to post on something specific to see if there is anyone knowledgeable on a topic to respond and others jump in to criticize or question things I said I don't want to discuss.

• Like 3

The topic isn't about discussing the actual freedoms themselves as much as people's experiences moving to TX from those who did it to acquire more freedoms in different areas.  If you don't know what I'm talking about then don't worry about it.  I'm not trying to be rude but it can be so frustrating to post on something specific to see if there is anyone knowledgeable on a topic to respond and others jump in to criticize or question things I said I don't want to discuss.

How is one to know if they are knowledgeable if you don't actual say what kind of freedoms you are looking for?  I'm sorry, but the vagueness of what you are looking for is frustrating never mind confusing, hence the questions.

• Like 11

I'm assuming you mean homeschooling freedom, so I'll answer from that viewpoint.

We already live in TX, but I will admit that the freedom we have with homeschooling here has definitely played a factor in keeping us here. i would love to move closer to my family in Arkansas, but I don't like the laws in Arkansas. I'm totally spoiled by TX so anywhere I look I get whiny.

"But you have to take a test there."

"But you have to count days there."

"But you have to notify there."

It's a really ridiculous attitude on my part to be honest, but I like being off the grid so to speak.

This is true, but once you get to high school you still have a lot of paperwork to do to produce a transcript, counselor's letter and manage the college apps or enlistment or vocational training.

I've lived in Houston (so close to Chelli) and I love it. But, OP, I think you might be sorely disappointed if you moved here based on our political rhetoric. When Chelli mentioned how diverse this area is she wasn't kidding. I'd try to visit for at least a week and explore beyond the typical visitor stuff before you decide.

If you have any specific questions, fire away! I'm going to a jazz concert but I'll be back late tonight.

• Like 2

This is true, but once you get to high school you still have a lot of paperwork to do to produce a transcript, counselor's letter and manage the college apps or enlistment or vocational training.

Yeah, but that's true even if your kid is in ps except for the transcript part. I remember having loads of paperwork and deadlines to keep track of when I was in my junior and senior years of high school. Not disagreeing with you, just saying that the paperwork you speak of for high school would be true in any state and in almost any school setting.

• Like 2

The topic isn't about discussing the actual freedoms themselves as much as people's experiences moving to TX from those who did it to acquire more freedoms in different areas. If you don't know what I'm talking about then don't worry about it. I'm not trying to be rude but it can be so frustrating to post on something specific to see if there is anyone knowledgeable on a topic to respond and others jump in to criticize or question things I said I don't want to discuss.

Wait just a minute. You didn't really post on something specific. You posted about moving to a specific state for the very vague idea of increased freedom. When asked to clarify, you refused.

I do know a family who moved to Texas decades ago because of homeschooling. I don't think they would move to Texas for that reason today because laws in our state have relaxed in regards to homeschooling over time.

My guess as to the increased freedom: exotic animals. From what I understand, Texas allows many animals other states prohibit. Maybe the OP wants to own a zoo.

• Like 15

I agree with Chelli.  

I should have asked about what small-townish cities near the Gulf Coast and close enough to a bigger city would be recommended?  I guess I should have taken more of that angle than discussing the "freedoms" of Texas.

A transcript is a single piece of paper.

"counselor's letter"? What's that?

"manage the college apps..." Well, doesn't everyone have to do that? Texans still don't have to report to any state or government entity regarding their children's enrollment in a private school, graduation, nothin'.

• Like 1

If I thought it would be helpful to bring up the particular freedom I would.  Trust me when I say that it would only take this post WAY off track.  Forget the freedoms.  I am looking for people (like Ellie and Chelli) who live there.  

Kinsa,

Why don't you love it there?  Chelli, you said something similar about "keeping you there".  What is not to love about TX?  (Keep in mind I have never even been there so I'm not saying I would love it there.  I'm just trying to find out if there are reasons that I wouldn't love it there.)

Kinsa,

Why don't you love it there?  Chelli, you said something similar about "keeping you there".  What is not to love about TX?  (Keep in mind I have never even been there so I'm not saying I would love it there.  I'm just trying to find out if there are reasons that I wouldn't love it there.)

Texas is very large and thus the terrain and weather in different areas is very diverse.  If you want to minimize the cold, then you need to stick to pretty far south Texas.

• Like 2

I agree with Chelli.  

I should have asked about what small-townish cities near the Gulf Coast and close enough to a bigger city would be recommended?  I guess I should have taken more of that angle than discussing the "freedoms" of Texas.

Are you wanting suburbs of the bigger cities or full on small town outside of the major cities and their suburbs, but within an easy drive of suburbs and city? FYI, I live in the second of these two categories. I'm not in Houston or the suburbs, but in a small town (less than 15,000 people) that is an easy 25 minute drive to be in the suburbs of Houston, and I can be in downtown Houston in 45 minutes (if traffic cooperates!). Small town living with major city amenities less than an hour away is our families preferred living situation, but some people wish to be closer or farther away so I was just trying to figure that out before talking about places you might investigate.

I have looked into the freedoms I am talking about (or not talking about as it were), so I know what else is available and where.  But since TX is the most appealing to me for several reasons, I thought I would ask about those who have moved there.

perhaps you can ask any Texans to PM you privately so you can ask some of your more private questions.

• Like 5

Yes, I want far south, preferably near the coast.  Right now we live on 15 acres with two ponds and woods, but we are 40 minutes from 3 different beaches (which we absolutely love.)  So we want the feel of out in the middle of nowhere while still be close enough to a city that my husband can work in to sell real estate.  I would love an active homeschooling community, but that is not mandatory as I don't participate much here right now.  As my kids get older and want to participate more I'd like the possibility to.  Our house now (with the 15 acres) was $250,000 for 2000 sq. feet.  I have no idea what the prices are like there nearish (within 45 minutes) to the coast.  

Thanks!

Kinsa,

Oh, I just meant that I would like to be closer to family. It is a 12 hour drive from where we live in Texas to my parent's house in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas. We wouldn't have to leave Texas to be closer, but if we do move somewhere else in Texas, my preference would be two things 1) farther north where there are more seasons than Houston has (see the Irish skin in my profile pic? It doesn't like hot, humid, beach, and sun!) and 2) closer to family.

I've driven quite a bit through the Piney Woods area of East Texas and I really like it there. If I could pick, I would live somewhere around the Tyler area towards Dallas. I actually like Houston better than Dallas when it come to choice of city, but Dallas fits my two wishes better than Houston.

That's ok.  You all will have to forgive this east coast girl for her ignorance about TX.  My husband was actually born in Dallas but raised in AZ, so he knows a little more.  He actually lived on Padre Island for a bit as a young child, too.  But he doesn't remember it.  And this would have been the early 70s.  It may be very different now.  

I have no idea about cost of living there or types of people there or anything and I don't even know where to begin to find out.  Not that I really need to know a whole lot now, but a general direction would be good since I'm talking about a move this summer, probably in July IF we were going to.

A transcript is a single piece of paper.

"counselor's letter"? What's that?

"manage the college apps..." Well, doesn't everyone have to do that? Texans still don't have to report to any state or government entity regarding their children's enrollment in a private school, graduation, nothin'.

My oldest is a junior this year, so we're in the midst of looking at schools. The times, they are a-changin'  :laugh:

All of the ones on her list are going to require more, so much more, than a single piece of paper for her transcript. Simply listing the classes and grades takes up a single piece of paper, and they want considerably more documentation than that. 

They don't all require a counselor letter, but some do. I think all of the honors programs require one or more recommendation letters, certainly most of them. 

And she is not looking at crazy selective schools. I think the specific increase in homeschool apps, along with the general increase in overall apps, means that schools want to rate your street cred upfront, before getting too far into the process. A more detailed transcript helps them do this.  

I see that the OP has a 13-yr-old, so I wanted to point that out. It's definitely doable, but we have certainly found that it involves more than a single piece of paper! 

• Like 3

Chelli, how far away are you from the coast (beach)?  

And this is not about gun laws.

We can be to the beach in 45 minutes, so 45 minutes from the beach in one direction and 45 minutes to downtown Houston in another direction. I just wish I liked the beach so we took the kids more. We've lived here for 8 1/2 years, and we've only gone to the beach 3 or 4 times.

stm4him, I didn't move here for freedom so I don't know that I can help you in your quest, but I do live in Texas and we started homeschooling 3 years ago. (I have moved 30 times so I HAVE lived in other states).

Pros:

1.  State guidelines for homeschooling are not that stringent at all.

2.  No oversight, no one you have to report to, no one checks on how you are doing (yes that can also be seen as a bad thing but not going to debate that here).

3.  No standardized testing requirement (although if you kids want to go to college they need either the ACT or the SAT or both depending on the school they are trying to get into).

4.  You are a private school so you get to determine what your requirements are (just keep in mind long-term goals so you don't short change your child).

5.  Some cities have pretty large homeschooling communities.

6.  If you are Christian, there are usually Christian based support groups for homeschoolers.

7.  Coastal towns tend to be very humid and you are at risk for Hurricanes but honestly those aren't that common.

8.  Cost for land/houses varies incredibly widely.  You need to look at specific areas and even specific neighborhoods within an area to know what the general cost will be.  That being said, housing outside of immediate cities can be incredibly reasonable.

Cons:

1.  If you don't like heat, don't come to Texas.  It may still be in the 80s in November.  It can climb over a 100 degrees and stay there in the summer and even the Fall, depending on where you are located and the weather that year.

2.  If you want a large homeschooling community, check out carefully where you are thinking of moving.  Some communities have never even heard of homeschooling and will not be supportive.

3.  Public schools tend NOT to be supportive of homeschoolers in Texas (although there are different reactions in different areas).

4.  Some cities have Day Curfews which can affect your freedom to move around with your kids during the day (although usually this is easy to work around).

5.  If you don't like bugs, don't come to Texas (although it is a lot better in most places in Texas than it is on the Coast of Florida).

6.  If you are not Christian, and you are not looking at relocating to a large city, you may have a REALLY hard time finding a homeschooling support group in your area.

• Like 3

That's ok.  You all will have to forgive this east coast girl for her ignorance about TX.  My husband was actually born in Dallas but raised in AZ, so he knows a little more.  He actually lived on Padre Island for a bit as a young child, too.  But he doesn't remember it.  And this would have been the early 70s.  It may be very different now.  

I have no idea about cost of living there or types of people there or anything and I don't even know where to begin to find out.  Not that I really need to know a whole lot now, but a general direction would be good since I'm talking about a move this summer, probably in July IF we were going to.

If you have specific questions, you could always pm some of the Texas folks on the boards here. I'll help you if I can and I'm sure the others would as well.

Chelli,

But how far are you from the beach?  I feel weird calling it that for some reason.  That's how completely clueless I am.

Sorry. i grew up in Arkansas where distance is always told in the time it will take you to get there for the obvious reasons of the mountains. It might be 80 miles on the map, but it will take 2.5 hours to drive it!

We are about 50 miles from the beach. Fortunately, Texas has the opposite problem of where I grew up in Arkansas: nice, big, flat straight roads. So even though we are 50 miles away, the speed limit is 65 the entire way on a two lane highway which means we can make it in about 40-45 minutes.

I am a Carolina girl so heat, bugs, and humidity are what we know.  No problems there.  We are Christian so no problems there.  Day curfew would stink so I would want to avoid that for sure.  And I would like an area that has lots of homeschoolers.  And we would be looking for a reformed Baptist (or nondenominational but close to the teachings of John MacArthur) type church.  But I can google that.

If you want to live on the Gulf Coast consider Corpus Christi. Had I not moved overseas, I would have moved to Corpus or North Padre Island.  Texas has many advantages (no state income tax, 30% of the jobs created during the past 10 years in the USA were in Texas, etc.)    The Summers are very long hot and in most sections of the state are humid. The Winters are usually mild, with occasional short periods of very low temperatures, but a week later it is very mild and nice again. In the West it is dry and semi arid. There are reasons why 1000+ people move into Texas each day.  Some don't like it and move to another state, but most stay. The COL is very low compared to many states.   There is no perfect state or perfect city. Everything is a compromise.

• Like 4

If you don't like cold/snow, find Waco on the map and draw a line across the state.  Then stay south of the line.  We are just a shade over an hour south of that and we get maybe an inch or two of snow every 20 years or so.  We literally only got 1 week of freezing temps this year.  The drawback....tons of bugs in the spring and summer.  Coastal areas also have horrid mosquito problems because of the lack of freezing weather to kill them off.   Beaches generally, IMO, are icky close to Houston/Galveston and are only slightly icky around Corpus Christ and there are more offshore rigs here than you'll find on the other coastal states.  Also, the farther south you go, the more illegal drug issues you can run into.

Stefanie

• Like 1