Menu

Vocabulary Curriculum...

wehave8

Do you do a Vocabulary Curriculum  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Do you do a Vocabulary Curriculum? Why or why not? If yes, post what you use?

I don't for DS4 (homeschooled) and I don't for DS7 (currently in public school) either, although the school probably does (don't know). I did start having him keep a vocabulary notebook a week ago where he's supposed to find a word in one of the books he's read that day, write it down, look it up in the children's dictionary, and copy the definition. So far he hasn't found any words he didn't know though, so I've gone through the things he reads until I find a word I think he probably doesn't know, and then quiz him on it. Then, if he can't answer me, that's the word for the day. A couple of days ago he even got a bonus word because the definition of 'rascals' (his word for the day) had the word 'mischievous' in it, which also needed to be looked up.

Maybe some day I'd do an SAT vocab book. We'll see.

ETA: my main reason for not bothering with a curriculum is that I think you learn the most vocab just by reading a LOT. I do also have a prefixes/suffixes workbook, which would presumably help with vocab as well (I got it to help with sounding out words since DS7 is a sight word reader).

Yes.  My dd does not pick up definitions from context.  She just skips the words.

We've used a lot of different ones.  My dd is a vsl, so we use ones with pictures.  Super Duper Publications makes Core Curriculum Vocabulary Cards, and we used four sets of those.  There is a Vocabulary Escapades with Garfield book for middle school that we used; that was a hit.  I am eyeing Marie's Words from timberdoodle, but I  think I'll hold off another year on those.  We have Word of the Week by Queen Homeschool that we'll be using for 9th grade, plus some Mythological Vocabulary cards from Lakeshore Learning Center.

• Like 3

My DD is like perkybunch's. Unless forced to stop and reflect, she skips unknown words. DS gets vocab from context but not DD. She's used Wordly Wise through level 4 but we will switch to Latin in the fall, and add still more vocab from Greek and Latin roots next year. She also has vocab from math, history, science and lit. This seems pretty common for dyslexic, v-s, and whole to parts learners.

Yes.  My dd does not pick up definitions from context.  She just skips the words.

That's one of the reasons why I started the vocab notebook for my son. I want him to develop dictionary fluency and the habit of looking words you don't know up. Still working on the fluency (he's taking a long time to find words), but once he gets better at that my plan is to start pushing him harder to find words he doesn't know while he reads on his own. Baby steps. The 365+ words a year are a bonus, since they're just a drop in the bucket (IIRC a well-educated person should know about 100,000 words, which at 365 words/year would take only 274 years to learn).

• Like 2

Why not? I find it is mostly busywork. We read a wide variety of books and talk about the new words. Simple.

I'm beginning to see this.

I am currently using Wordly Wise (older ed., NOT 3000), but with ASL classes, R&S English (just the grammar part of it), AAS, Writing Strands, AAR, read alouds, silent reading, etc., we. just. run. out. of. time!  We do have a LOT of conversational vocab. time.  Yes, I think I will drop WW.   :)

Still listening to see what others do.

Pam

ETA: We did 1 year of Song School Latin and planned on year 2 this year, but we never got to it.  Picking it up as soon as ASL class is done.

My boys are using Vocabulary Workshop above level because they like it.  So it is kind of like a fun road trip workbook.  My kids breeze through Wordly Wise supplied by the K12 charter when we were using the virtual academy.  My older is doing Word within the word for fun too.

No I don't, my children both have a larger vocabulary than their peers. I read to them every day and we listen to audio books in the car.  I have always read books that are above their own reading comprehension.  I made a perfect score on my Verbal GRE and love learning about new words and share with them.  Also, one of my favorite vocabulary books for test prep is Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis.  It teaches through suffixes and prefixes and could be used for younger kids too. 

I don't yet, but with my dd's language difficulties, we probably will at some point. I'm going to start doing some Greek and Latin word roots with her in a few months time, I think. I'm hoping giving her a tool to use (morphology) and training her to use it will help with her lack of logic skills. We'll see...

Not so far. My kids have great vocabularies, just no need for an extra "subject" when they learn loads of words in literature, science, history and Latin. And in choir, piano, art class, at ballet and other sports....

Trying to keep school as simple as possible!

• Like 4

Not sure how to respond my middle schooler does Spelling Workout which to me has some voc. in it along with Latin so we don't use a voc. curriculum per say....my oldest does Latin and we all do a word of the day off the SAT list but do nothing else. I feel with reading its enough. We never did vocabulary in elementary years except instructing them of a few words they might not know that was in their reading. HTH

• Like 1

Yes, because I was one of those who overlooked unknown words while reading. At this point in time, I don't know if they are like this. We are using Vocabulary Cartoon Word Made Easy.

I'm also using it because I don't think I read to them enough.

We just got the reading rainbow app, so that may change. Great app btw.

We are doing vocabulary cartoons right now. If it is a word ods already knows we just go to the next word. We put it up and try to catch each other using it during the day. I define words in read alouds, he asks about words as he is reading independently, plus we have vocabulary words that come up for history and science. When we finish spelling I'd like to find a good adaptive vocab program to use for 5-10 minutes per day, maybe something like vocabulary.com. That way we don't waste time on words he already knows. I wouldnt want to keep a vocab notebook during my pleasure reading and I don't plan to ask my kids to do it, so adaptive seems the best choice for us.

No.  We read a lot of good books and I have an expansive vocabulary, so I haven't used one yet.  I had been pondering this when one day on the way home from church my husband answered my son's question in a rash manner and my son said "DADDY, you are being IMPETUOUS!"

And my husband said "I don't know what that means." (In his defense, he's a genius engineer, not a wordsmith like me...;))

So my son (he's 7) defined it.  

Then I decided not to worry about vocab just yet.....

• Like 6

I study roots using MCT Caesar's English with my 8 year old. He has a very advanced vocabulary but an even higher reading level. Stopping to write down words he doesn't know or me breaking each chapter down is pure torture to him. Studying it while reading is a no go for that reason. This helps him figure out what the word might mean on his own. My daughter has an okay vocabulary for her age (just turned 5) but I think she ends up tuning out when I am reading novels or getting overpowered by her brother. Since I read her shorter books, we do discuss vocbulary in context of the story but she needs a little something else to help it click. She usually will not figure it out from context either.

• Like 1

We are using the vocabulary from classical roots lists from quizlet files. Eldest Ds11 hates it, which gives me pause since he's progressing in Latin, reading at hs level, and we have a conversational vocabulary that's varied. Hmmm. Also wondering best ways to test him/'get it to stick. He doesn't (like others have noted) pick up new words from reading or conversation. I'd love advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are using the vocabulary from classical roots lists from quizlet files. Eldest Ds11 hates it, which gives me pause since he's progressing in Latin, reading at hs level, and we have a conversational vocabulary that's varied. Hmmm. Also wondering best ways to test him/'get it to stick. He doesn't (like others have noted) pick up new words from reading or conversation. I'd love advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evan-Moor A Word a Day. It literally takes five minutes or less a day, except on Fridays, which takes maybe ten. It's nearly completely oral. It's fun and how we ease into each day. It works for DD. She thinks it's a hoot when she comes across one of the words we've studied in literature or everyday life.

I think it's often difficult to verbally define words. I have a lot of words that I just know...I feel their meanings/see them as pictures in my mind. Ask me to define them and I struggle a bit. I think that's the same for a lot people. I think studying vocabulary helps create a more accurate association between words and what they truly mean. DD listens to a lot of classic audio books with extensive vocabulary. Just because the words are there doesn't mean she always picks up what they mean.

• Like 6

I think it's often difficult to verbally define words. I have a lot of words that I just know...I feel their meanings/see them as pictures in my mind. Ask me to define them and I struggle a bit. I think that's the same for a lot people. I think studying vocabulary helps create a more accurate association between words and what they truly mean. DD listens to a lot of classic audio books with extensive vocabulary. Just because the words are there doesn't mean she always picks up what they mean.

This is true...very interesting.  Thanks

Pam

Do you do a Vocabulary Curriculum?  Why or why not?  If yes, post what you use?

We never used a vocabulary curriculum, because I do not consider it necessary.

My kids developed a large vocabulary from reading, from audiobooks, and from participating in conversations with adults who use a varied vocabulary.

• Like 2

We do use a vocabulary curriculum, but DD already knows the words even at the high school level. It just becomes busy work. DD is not a big reader either.

We have used: Wordly Wise, Vocabulary Workshop, and Vocabulary from Classical Roots.

My current plan for 7th grade is to go through our box of SAT vocabulary cards. I like words and use them when I speak with DD and define the words as I speak so she understands the definition in context. 

I don't but I am starting one next year. I had my kids do a test that test their reading level and they really struggled on the vocabulary part so I know they need work on that. We do read lots of books and generally I have them reading 1 level above their level just to keep pushing them a little but I guess we need to focus a bit on vocabulary. I am planning on the sadlier vocab books but I'm also looking at Caesars English. 

No, I don't. My boys frequently ask me the meanings of words that they come across in their reading or elsewhere. I also stop to explain unfamiliar words in our read-alouds. We are also starting Latin next year and that will help with vocabulary as well. I think it's enough.

FWIW, DS #2 did his first grade year through a K12 virtual academy and vocabulary there was a subject to be completed over the entire year. It was all so easy for him that he completed the whole year's worth of work in just a few weeks. For him, I think it's better to learn new vocabulary in context. 

We use Wordly Wise 3000. My kid and I actually enjoy the reading selection at the end of each lesson. However, I do not make hom write the answers to the questions. We sometimes do some of them orally.

Great idea, as that's the very reason why mine aren't enjoying it.

• Like 1

My DD is like perkybunch's. Unless forced to stop and reflect, she skips unknown words. DS gets vocab from context but not DD. She's used Wordly Wise through level 4 but we will switch to Latin in the fall, and add still more vocab from Greek and Latin roots next year. She also has vocab from math, history, science and lit. This seems pretty common for dyslexic, v-s, and whole to parts learners.

Not sure how to respond my middle schooler does Spelling Workout which to me has some voc. in it along with Latin so we don't use a voc. curriculum per say....my oldest does Latin and we all do a word of the day off the SAT list but do nothing else. I feel with reading its enough. We never did vocabulary in elementary years except instructing them of a few words they might not know that was in their reading. HTH

I think this is true of one of mine who is a more whole-to-parts thinker.  In SWO she was so frustrated by the exercises that required her to know the meaning of the words (picking a list word to round out a group of two other words, or choosing a synonym from the list, etc.).  So, now on the first day of a new lesson she reads each word aloud and uses it in a sentence.  If she doesn't know it's meaning, we look it up.  It's this very situation that made me aware that she may need more vocab. work after we finish SWO, especially if I want her to use the words and not just have a vague idea of their meaning. 

• Like 2

You also asked why study vocabulary. In the long run, I hope it will add to DD's intelligence, that she well develop a love for words so she won't simply skip over words she doesn't know when reading, to make life easier in regard to college-entrance exams and college itself. Also, I hope having accessible vocabulary will make her a better writer. When it comes to schooling DD, I think about my deficits...think about what would have made me a better student, fare better on tests. As an adult, it irks me when my mother knows a word I don't. She likes to remind me how she never went to college.

Yes, my kids have enjoyed WOrdly Wise.  I also tried out Vocabulary from Classical roots, which *I* liked, but the kiddo using it preferred WW.  At some point I can see doing VCR as a family, with a few roots per week.  I like idea, but the book was not a good fit.  I have one that has a high vocab, and one that struggles, and both enjoyed it.  I also consider it part of reading comprehension, and I really enjoy the story sections.  I tend to read them aloud to the kids, and talk about the questions. 

No.  Unless you count Latin and Greek Root curriculum as a vocabulary curriculum.

Excellent literature read aloud up to 2 hours (not all in one sitting) about 5 days a week  K-12

Rummy Roots

More Rummy Roots

English From the Roots Up 1 and 2

We start reading aloud to them when they're preschool aged. We work up to 45 to 60 minute sittings by the time they're in middle elementary school. We're careful to choose books that are actual hig quality literature, not just any old book they might find interesting.  They can read those on their own in their free time. We choose more challenging literature as they get older.

We start Latin and Greek word roots in 1st grade.  We do 10-12 a week. We use them as a matching game, not as a Gin Rummy Game the way the instructions say.  Then we add in the EFTRU roots, but not the lists.

By about 5th grade we start using the word lists in EFTRU and I have them break down the roots in each word and write out a definition if they already know it and if they don't, I have them look it up.

My college aged kids have thanked us for the Latin and Greek Roots because they have stunning vocabularies so it's rare a word is used they don't already know.  For those unfamiliar words, between context and roots, they can figure out almost any new term in college level reading materials without having to look it up.

• Like 3