Menu

Dealing with sudden death

kwg

My dad was shot on Dec 19.  I am struggling, I am *really* worried about my brother, and my sister is not doing so well either :( Has anyone else dealth with this?  How did you work through it?

I am ashamed to say there are days I have trouble getting up and I am worried about my oldest and school.  We have not done a full day since my grandmother died on November 15.  He has done some- we finished WWS yay!!!- but not a full day.  He is a bright kid and I hate to see him fall behind.

Yesterday we met with the Commonwealth Attorneys and that sent me in another tailspin so I am sure that is part of why I feel ss sad.  I do have an appointment with a therapist on Tuesday that I have worked with before and I will tell her how I am.

Thanks in advance!

I am so sorry.  :grouphug:  You should not be ashamed of struggling to live life normally! It has only been a month and a half. This is a serious loss. I would keep the bar very low and perhaps see if there are ways you can outsource some of your subjects for the rest of the year.

My dh lost his dad suddenly. It was a long process of healing. He was definitely in deep grief for about a year. 

Sincere hugs to you. I had two beloved family members pass away in the same week. One was expected, the other was not. It took my breath away for a long time. I still have "those days". It's good you're seeing a therapist. Be open to anti-depressants if you need them. That's what my mom had to do.

Yes, my mother died suddenly in a horrible manner (killed by dogs). It was extremely difficult and nearly 7 years later I still can't believe it happened the way it did. 

A support system (with any death) is important. My family is very small and spread out and we tried to be there for each other but it was hard. I'm fortunate that dh's family is nearby and was very supportive. I also was surrounded by good friends who were there when I needed them.

Had I not had the above built-in support system, or if I didn't feel like their sympathy and actions were helping, I would not have hesitated to seek professional therapy. 

You don't have a signature - Are you married or do you have a partner? If so, please let him or her know you're having difficulty. The worst thing you can do is try to hold it in. If you're worried about your siblings, you must help yourself before you can help them. Is your relationship such that you can get together with them and have a cry/laugh session? (Cry for your father being gone, laugh at good times).

Time doesn't make it hurt less, but it does make it easier to accept. Before time can do any healing though, you need to get through the present. Please let someone in your life know how hard this is for you, or seek professional help.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  I do understand the shock factor.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I am so sorry. It turns your world upside-down. For me, I lost the faith (for at least a few years) that normal life is not dangerous, KWIM? My sister died suddenly of a kidney infection, and I lost a baby in labor. Those two events pulled the rug out from my casual security that danger doesn't lurk behind every corner.

Please give yourself grace. It is common to feel like getting up and dressed and fed is too much effort. I am glad you are seeking help. My counseling sessions were the only place I could really have the freedom to say anything I needed to say.

(Hugs)

I did not have support and it left me empty and unable to cope.

So my advice is:

Keep watching out for your sibs and keep seeking help and support for all of you. I'm glad you have a therapist. Maybe the therapist would have some ideas about things your sibs and you could do together through this process.

(Hugs) to all

Yes, you need to communicate what you're feeling - as best you can. It's easy to keep that sort of pain inside. It hurts so bad it can be hard to talk about - esp for someone (like me) who hates to cry in public. But you need time & space to heal. And those around you (immediate family) need to understand this - and give you the time & space. My dh was so sweet about this - ordering out so I didn't have to cook, being super-understanding when I didn't get any housework done all day, keeping the kids quiet... 

School... I would set the school aside for a time...a week, a couple weeks...whatever you think you need. And allow yourself to really grieve & process without feeling the guilt of what you're not getting done. Then, when the time's up, gently pick things up again...and move forward.   

Another thing that really helped me was being able to talk about my loved one with others who knew him well. Sharing stories was huge. I think remembering helps the healing process along. I went through every single memory I could think of...I wrote them down. One by one. And I cried all the way through them. We got together as a family, and told more stories...

It's been a year for me now. I still have moments - waves of pain & grief from unexpected places. I miss him. so. much. But it is easier now.

You've already gotten all the advice I would have given, so I just want to say I am SO sorry for your loss. Our family has experienced something very similar recently :( What you are going through is completely to be expected after what you've experienced, so please don't be ashamed of yourself or hard on yourself in any way. Take all the time you need, please, and expect to have one step forward, two steps back sometimes. You'll still be moving forward overall, but some days will be worse than others. Just know that there will be a better day coming soon and hang on. My DH would tell you that time does help the healing, but you must be kind to yourself in order to really heal.

I'm so, so sorry  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Time.

Grace - not necessarily associated with any particular spirituality  but the "be gentle with yourself and others kind.

Remeber your brain has been traumatized - it has been flooded with chemicals and neurotransmitters in a ratio that is not supposed to happen. It will take time to get past the effects of that.

Grief is cyclic, and you will likely see the grief, fear, anger ebb and flow.

The well known "Grief Cycle" (Kubler Ross) is helpful, but not linear.

Reach out to local grief support, often in churches or hospitals or hospices.

((( HUGS )))

I can't imagine emotional trauma of this kind. Take your time for recovery, and do not be harsh with yourself for the need to recover and heal. Same message for your children. Each of you will walk the path of recovery at a different speed, relying on differing support people and methods.

Again, --- (((HUGS)))

I am so sorry for your loss.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I don't know how old your DS is. If he is under 8th grade, I'd not give it another thought. He can catch up. If he is older, and stopping school could affect his progression towards his goals, I'd either do my best to pull it together or I'd look for a workable alternative. I'd not let a high schooler sit and fall behind if I could possibly avoid it. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

:grouphug:

We lost my dad while I was homeschooling a early high schooler and late elementary student. His death wasn't violent, so I can't imagine your grief and shock. I'll say what I can remember what we did but every kid is different, so I suggest "feeling" your way through and do what is best for you and your kids. More than a few times I was frustrated to have the additional responsibility of schooling them, while grieving, dealing with my mom who had just lost her husband, etc. I was open to sending them to school, but found we didn't have to, my kids were always motivated to learn. I did find both kids wanted to do at least some schoolwork to be occupied, after a few weeks of being out of town and maybe a few more of getting back in the swing of things (we were in boxes and in the middle of moving when he died) we were able to keep up with studies they could do on their own while I was tied up time wise. They read literature assignments, we didn't go over them, you could assign full books and let yours read with or without writing assignments, you could require easy summaries, or let them make bullet points of things they notice, show them shmoop dot com for amazing input, anything that they might find that interests them. They also kept up with math (I let them correct it, they are honest), oldest was able to keep science going and self correct, they worked on grammar (workbooks, and I let them correct). Most of what I did was "open and go" and that helped tremendously. So they knew about how much I assigned (even kept up their assignment books and did them for me!), and about what I usually required. Being home allowed them to talk about their loss when they needed to without too much schoolwork to get in the way on days they were sad. I encourage you to gently prod them to keep learning, don't worry about it not being perfect, and let the rest go. They will still be learning, and learning a great trait, to be self learners.

When things settled a bit (I'm guessing 3-4 months), we had a "save the summer" campaign where I figured how much work needed to be accomplished (minimum) to move them to the next grade. Then I let them figure how they wanted to do it. One pulled some "get 'er done" all nighters, both did work on the weekends (I did mention their public school friends regularly did that) and amazingly, we mended and got a school year accomplished and had a summer break. Maybe not the most stellar year of their career, but I was thankful that they had time to mend while keeping up their studies. Your loss came at a different time of the year (mine was at the very beginning of the school year), another option for you would be to take summer break now.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Sudden death is one thing--and it is bad enough.  But when it is caused by violence, I think it takes on another layer.  Somehow, we come to terms with the loss of life because it is inevitable.  But when it is taken in a violent way, there is something else there that needs to be dealt with, and I think it is probably going to take a long time.  

I'm glad you are meeting with a counselor.  Find a couple of trusted friends who will stand with you over a LONG time so that you won't hear "it's been a year, it's time to move on..."  They need to know that this is different.  

My dad was shot on Dec 19.  I am struggling, I am *really* worried about my brother, and my sister is not doing so well either :( Has anyone else dealth with this?  How did you work through it?

I am ashamed to say there are days I have trouble getting up and I am worried about my oldest and school.  We have not done a full day since my grandmother died on November 15.  He has done some- we finished WWS yay!!!- but not a full day.  He is a bright kid and I hate to see him fall behind.

Yesterday we met with the Commonwealth Attorneys and that sent me in another tailspin so I am sure that is part of why I feel ss sad.  I do have an appointment with a therapist on Tuesday that I have worked with before and I will tell her how I am.

Thanks in advance!

I'm so sorry. 

Yes, my mother died suddenly in a horrible manner (killed by dogs). It was extremely difficult and nearly 7 years later I still can't believe it happened the way it did. 

A support system (with any death) is important. My family is very small and spread out and we tried to be there for each other but it was hard. I'm fortunate that dh's family is nearby and was very supportive. I also was surrounded by good friends who were there when I needed them.

Had I not had the above built-in support system, or if I didn't feel like their sympathy and actions were helping, I would not have hesitated to seek professional therapy. 

You don't have a signature - Are you married or do you have a partner? If so, please let him or her know you're having difficulty. The worst thing you can do is try to hold it in. If you're worried about your siblings, you must help yourself before you can help them. Is your relationship such that you can get together with them and have a cry/laugh session? (Cry for your father being gone, laugh at good times).

Time doesn't make it hurt less, but it does make it easier to accept. Before time can do any healing though, you need to get through the present. Please let someone in your life know how hard this is for you, or seek professional help.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  I do understand the shock factor.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

That's horrible!  I'm so sorry. 

I'm very sorry kwg. The double loss would intensify everything. If you've been home educating for a while and you have a bright switched on lad then lots of time and lots of books will educate him. Don't underestimate the power of the two. He will also have time to consolidate what he reads. If you have any go-to resources for other subjects then let him know he can set his own pace.

Because of my lass I made myself go out and mix and remember to laugh when I didn't really feel like it etc. But not straight away.

She saw/sees me cry but when she wasn't around I just bawled. Our loss was expected but still tough to learn to live again.

Just re-read: Tell your older lad how you are feeling and see if the two of you can pick out what he can do independently and if there are areas you can outsource. This is a different and unexpected season.

I'm sorry, I wish there was anything I could say to help.

Here is for all of you who have suffered a traumatic death of a loved one, whether you have shared the story or have not:

:grouphug:   :grouphug:   :grouphug:   :grouphug:   :grouphug:   :grouphug:   :grouphug:   :grouphug:   :grouphug:  

Sudden death is one thing--and it is bad enough.  But when it is caused by violence, I think it takes on another layer.  Somehow, we come to terms with the loss of life because it is inevitable.  But when it is taken in a violent way, there is something else there that needs to be dealt with, and I think it is probably going to take a long time.    

:iagree:

I am so very sorry.

My husband and I dealt with this a few years ago. His mother died very suddenly in a way pretty unimaginable. She was shot as well. I don't want to give details online.

It was awful. I honestly don't remember how we got through it as it is all a blur now. My husband's answer was to stay busy and live, and I was along for the ride. It was exhausting but it was the support he needed at the time.

Honestly I think it was six months until he could sleep well again. There is so much to deal with.

His sisters dealt much differently. Therapy, anti depressants, crying, much more talking and memory sharing, even more time.

I have no advice other than it is hard and you just do the best you can. Find all the help you can. We had several good friends who were such a support to him and me. Be easy on yourself. Time does help. You will feel better. Accept all the help offered and try to find joy again.

I do not homeschool so I can't answer that. Somehow we both managed to get to work but we certainly weren't very good employees. We did the basics and got through. We are thriving now in all aspects. It does get better.

I will pray for you.

Time really does help.

First I want to say how sorry I am. Unfortunately, I have been through two sudden deaths. The first was my sister-in-law that was very much my best friend. She was stabbed to death by her adopted teenage son back in 2003. Her family lived in a different state, so after her memorial service, I was sort of alone with just my family to process it. I was an absolute mess. I could not sleep and I had a great feeling of fear. I had never known how intense grief often presents itself as fear. My husband was so worried about me that he decided even though for 5 years he had said he didn't want more kids that we should have another baby. I think he thought it would help me find my joy again. And in many ways it did. I was pregnant just 2 months after her death. In many ways it helped, in others it was so much harder.

In 2010, my oldest son was killed in a head on semi accident. He was stationed in Alaska and we were here in SC. I remember every single part of pulling into my drive way and seeing soldiers standing there. In a flash, I thought this can't be real because I have already survived a horrible tragedy. Only it was real. It has been almost 5 years and I am still pulling an elephant up a hill, but time has helped with the immediate intense pain. Everyone deals with grief in different ways. What worked for me, may not work for you. For me, I needed to stay busy and focus my mind on things. Events, travel, renovations, etc. My husband needed to grieve in peace and quiet. He needed to sit by himself and draw because that calms him. My daughter turned to gymnastics and eventually needed therapy and antidepressants. My little boy needed a great deal of gentle love and the feeling of safety with his close friends. I was always reminded by others that had walked my path to be extra kind and gentle with myself. Sometimes I slept in because my sleep was so volatile. Sometimes I would sit in my dark closet and cry deep and painful cries. Sometimes I would throw my kids and my mom and my sister in the van and I would literally run away somewhere. Florida, Illinois, North Carolina, it did not matter. I just needed to get out of my head and I needed to go. Thank God my husband understood that I had to do it or I would explode.

Death is hard. I don't think I really knew that before I had to live with it. You will think you are going crazy. You are actually going crazy, but that is okay. Anyone who thinks it is not okay, is not who you need to be with. Take care of yourself and your family. Give yourself grace and kindness. If something makes you smile, embrace it. Time does not heal, but It lessens the intense pain and fear. I pray for your peace and your strength.

kwg,

(((Love and hugs)))

I am so sorry about your dad and your grandma, too. That is so much to deal with in a short period of time.

I can totally understand worrying about schooling on top of grief. You got some great advice about grief and while it is hard to give specifics about school, I'll share this:

I tried to concentrate on skills (math, writing, reading) first and then fill in content with lighter, more fun stuff like literature, documentaries, movies, etc.

Short, consistent lessons kept my kids moving forward and lessened my worry that they were "behind."

But with that being said, I do believe it is important and healthy to grieve, and have time for remembrances and rituals. I don't think it is healthy to just continue on like nothing has changed. It is a balance between acknowledging the loss vs getting back to "normal." Because normal has been turned upside down.

:grouphug:

:grouphug: I lost both of my parents suddenly, at separate times.  Please be gentle with yourself.  Don't try to "tough it out" or listen to anyone who tells you to.  Some people like to keep busy, some people need more time to be alone and just process, neither way is superior.  Some days will be good days and some days will be bad days, and sometimes it'll seem like things are getting better and then you'll have a really bad day, and that's normal - if there's anything about grief that is normal!  Time and talking (with a therapist is great, they can tell you that no, you're not crazy for still being a mess months later even though everyone else expects you to just "get over it already").  It's been over 15 years and I'm still not "over it".  I still think about them every day, but I remember all the happy memories now and not so much the pain of losing them.

One thing I wish I could go back and tell myself - there is no getting back to "normal".  I tried so hard, each time, and it took a lot of pain and time for me to realize that you can't go back to being that person.  Eventually, you find a new normal.  It's not the same, and it takes time, but you will get there.  :grouphug:

I don't know how old your son is, but I'm sure if you shared what you've been doing with him, everyone here would be glad to help figure out a bare minimum schedule.  For the present, maybe you could just concentrate on taking him to the library every week and having him pick out a bunch of books, fiction and non-fiction?

I keep coming back to this thread.

(Hugs) again to all.

I appreciate people sharing. Especially that fear is to be expected and not to expect getting "back to normal".

We had people around us that a few months in said things like " aren't you over that yet?". Being young and new to grieving I took that to heart and felt abnormal for how I felt. It made it harder.

(Hugs)

I keep coming back to this thread.

(Hugs) again to all.

I appreciate people sharing. Especially that fear is to be expected and not to expect getting "back to normal".

We had people around us that a few months in said things like " aren't you over that yet?". Being young and new to grieving I took that to heart and felt abnormal for how I felt. It made it harder.

(Hugs)

Aww, (((happi duck)))

that is so inappropriate. I am sorry someone said that to you.

Grief hurts, physically and emotionally and spiritually. It is a great and horrible pain. Your enormous love for the one who dies is still there, but the person is gone. That change, when you transition from a relationship that is HERE to one that is no longer HERE, has no timeline.

People who say things like that deserve "Are you stupid?" in response.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  to the OP. Remember the point of the grieving process is acceptance, so do what you need to do to inch yourselves towards that. 

I'm so sorry!  Treat yourself well.  This is overwhelming and you have many emotions and questions (now and/or in future).

Is there anyone on whom you can "fall" for help?  Other family, neighbors, friends, church, support group, etc?  I appreciate your desire to keep all as "usual" as possible for your son, but this is a lot in a short span of time.  Not implying it would be easier if it were a greater span.  Just saying it's all crunched together. 

You have an appt. with a therapist.  That's good.  Also, you may find help by attending a support group.  It may help "sort" out emotional conflicts.

If you insist on your ds doing school,  maybe consider the core only.  If he's old enough to initiate work and monitor his progress, that would be helpful. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug: :grouphug:  

When I was 25 my husband died suddenly of a heart attack. He was only 26, and it rocked me to my core. I understand the feelings you are experiencing. It took years for me to work through all the emotions. My therapist referred to the process as "onion peeling" meaning every layer is a different emotion you work through. (Anger, loneliness, guilt, sadness, peace, etc)

I will say that it's almost 15 years later and although I am happily re-married and now a mom, there are still moments that overwhelm me. I am so sorry you are dealing with this. Prayers for you and your entire family. Hugs.

I am very sorry for your loss.  Unfortunately, I am intimately acquainted with sudden loss on two occassions.  Twenty-four years ago, my step-father was brutally murdered.  It was a nightmare for my family.  

My eldest sibling passed in her sleep 28 months ago.  After the funeral, I continued to homeschool up until I became very sick and had to stop (mid-December).  Losing my sister has been extremely difficult.  Again, I have been very concerned about my mom, and I am only now feeling good.  My youngest child has a congenital birth defect that requires daily attention.  DS takes classes outside the home.  I must take care of the family in front of me.  

To cope, I basically dive in and work.  I periodically meet with friends for coffee and dinner.  DH and my children are very kind to me.  Mother attends a grief counseling group called Grief Share.