Menu

Where do I want to live?

ktgrok

Ok, all these threads about moving have me daydreaming. I have always lived in Florida. I've lived as far south as Palm Beach and as far north as Tallahasse. Visited NC moutains (too claustraphobic....the trees are overwhelming) and Wisconsin (too flat, not enough trees. Yes, I'm picky). 

What I want: smaller town feel. 4 seasons. I can totally handle cold/snow IF it is only 3 months or so a year. I do not want to live in the tundra. I also am tired of only having one season, summer. Or, as we often say, rainy season and the rest of the year. I want fall leaves, and spring, and I can handle a hot summer (obviously) and a cold winter. Just not a LONG winter. 

Also, as much as I want small town feel, my huband needs big companies, he's an Information Security Engineer and needs the salary of a big company. Doesn't have to be a tech company, lots of places hire information security. Just big enough to need that kind of service. 

We are liberal and Catholic, would like a Catholic Church within 25-30 minute drive. 

He's willing to commute up to 40 minutes or so for work. Not more than an hour. 

DFW, Texas area (suburbs) meets your requirements with the exception of the four seasons.  Yes, we have four seasons, but fall lasts for about a minute, and it is my favorite so that is sad.  The winters are not so long or harsh that they weigh on you.  Coming from FL, you would not be scared off by the summers.  I lived in MD for five years, and it was beautiful (as was Virginia).  Cost of living is significantly higher in MD/VA versus TX. 

What do you consider snow/cold? Since you're from FL, is snow and cold anything below freezing or anything below 50 or so? That would make a big difference in which places only have that weather for 3mos a year or so. 

If you want warmer more than cooler, I'd suggest someplace like a suburb of Atlanta since you are relatively close to it already. It would be an easier move. You could find plenty of places with a small town feeling and still be close to Atlanta if your DH works there. Atlanta metro is much more liberal than the rest of GA. Peachtree City could be perfect for you. It doesn't snow often, but when we were in the area, we'd usually get snow of some kind about 2-4 times a year. You get 4 seasons and there's definitely a Catholic church. 

If you don't mind more snow, you could find nice places near Nashville, Knoxville, or Chattanooga. I'm not sure if there are too many trees there? 

If you want less trees, maybe one of the prairie states? Maybe Oklahoma? 

DFW, Texas area (suburbs) meets your requirements with the exception of the four seasons.  Yes, we have four seasons, but fall lasts for about a minute, and it is my favorite so that is sad.  The winters are not so long or harsh that they weigh on you.  Coming from FL, you would not be scared off by the summers.  I lived in MD for five years, and it was beautiful (as was Virginia).  Cost of living is significantly higher in MD/VA versus TX. 

I want to leave here because of the lack of seasons. It is sunny out. The trees are dying..no red, orange, and yellow leaves. Some, but very few, leaves will turn. But not enough to be pretty. And IF we get snow, it is once every couple years, for a day. Last year, we had 4 days of ice. I mean, you could not drive or leave your house. It was nuts. And never had actual snow. In 2001, we did get 4 days of snow. That is so rare that all these years later, it stands out in my mind. On the rare occasion we get snow, we run outside and take pictures.

So if you want 4 seasons, skip Dallas/Ft worth.

Maryland does sound nice. And NC, I have some family and friends there, and DH really liked it. If we weren't right up in the mountains I'd be ok, I just didn't like not being able to see more than 6ft in any direction. I love the LOOK of Montana, but I know I'd freeze to death. 

. If we weren't right up in the mountains I'd be ok, I just didn't like not being able to see more than 6ft in any direction.

It's funny that you should say this. I grew up in the mountains of VA.  When we lived in NY (right on Lake Ontario, so flat as a pancake,) I always said I felt like I was adrift at sea because there weren't any mountains! How about the Outer Banks area of NC or VA?

Maryland does sound nice. And NC, I have some family and friends there, and DH really liked it. If we weren't right up in the mountains I'd be ok, I just didn't like not being able to see more than 6ft in any direction. I love the LOOK of Montana, but I know I'd freeze to death. 

NC flattens out as you head east.  It's not all mountains.  Toward the center it's quite nice.

Same with MD and PA.

I went to college in the mountains (Va Tech) and four years of living there was plenty for me, but on the other hand, I don't like flat either.  Being in central PA is pretty close to perfect for us with the rolling hills and farmland.  MD is very similar, but comes with higher taxes and COL so many around here are MD transplants.  Which state you'd want to live in depends a bit upon where your dh would get his job and the commute, etc.  NC would give you a shorter winter, but hotter summer.  It's a trade off and all depends upon what you prefer.

(We moved from FL to PA and don't regret it at all.)

I went to college in the mountains (Va Tech) and four years of living there was plenty for me, but on the other hand, I don't like flat either.  Being in central PA is pretty close to perfect for us with the rolling hills and farmland.  MD is very similar, but comes with higher taxes and COL so many around here are MD transplants.  Which state you'd want to live in depends a bit upon where your dh would get his job and the commute, etc.  NC would give you a shorter winter, but hotter summer.  It's a trade off and all depends upon what you prefer.

My first husband graduated with an electrical engineering degree from Va Tech in the mid-80's.  :)  We went to visit the campus one fall, and it was breathtaking. 

MD is nice, but I would not recommend Montgomery Co (where Bethesda and Rockville are).  Unless you like lots of traffic and a high COL and taxes.  The traffic isn't as bad all the time like in No.Va, but it can still be frustrating (and claustrophobic).  I'm ready to move...but it's just not practical for our family right now.    Frederick & Ellicott City are both very nice places.   Actually, all of Frederick Co. is quite nice... and still close. 

MD is nice, but I would not recommend Montgomery Co (where Bethesda and Rockville are).  Unless you like lots of traffic and a high COL and taxes.  The traffic isn't as bad all the time like in No.Va, but it can still be frustrating (and claustrophobic).  I'm ready to move...but it's just not practical for our family right now.    Frederick & Ellicott City are both very nice places.   Actually, all of Frederick Co. is quite nice... and still close. 

I lived in Columbia, MD, which was very nice, but it is expensive.  Most of my friends purchased townhouses because a single family home was out of their price range.  It is the norm there, even for the solidly middle class.

My first husband graduated with an electrical engineering degree from Va Tech in the mid-80's.  :)  We went to visit the campus one fall, and it was breathtaking. 

Hubby graduated in '87 with Civil Engineering and we were both in the Corps.

We both absolutely LOVE the campus - and are watching the football game here at home (hoping for the best) now.  ;)

When I was very young, I wanted to get out of L.A.  Because of the Smog and traffic and very high cost of living, etc. I went to Reno, Nevada. I am still in contact with a guy I worked with in Reno. He stayed there, got married, raised a family there and is still married to the same woman.   Sometimes they get a lot of Snow, but I think that's not the norm.  I would consider Reno.

I never lived there, but I remember driving through TN on I-40 a number of times and  possibly Nashville or Knoxville.  I really have memories of the beautiful scenery in the Shenandoah Valley of VA, on I-81.  Roanoke is probably the largest city there.  A childhood friend lives in S.W. Utah, but it sometimes gets incredibly cold there. There is no way I could live in a place that gets that cold. He is from Las Vegas, so the hot dry summers are something he can live with.

The west side of Portland, OR! We moved here a little over a year ago and it meets all of your criteria.

Fall is gorgeous! Winter is cold but very little snow-a dusting here and there. Spring is amazing. Summer is hot and sunny but not humid and not many days over 90*. People will try to tell you it rains 9 months a year here but that has not been our experience. It rains for a while and is spotted by lovely, sunny days. 

Of course, Intel is right here.

I live in a small town where Intel is about a 20 minute commute. There are lots of small, out of the way places here within an easy 20-30 minute commute from the more concentrated area. Plus, Portland itself is a really cool place! :)

I grew up in Columbus, OH and love the seasons in OH!  The winters can seem long, cold, and gray.   Some southerners, it seems, don't get use to the cold and gray days.  Then you have to drive in the snow.  However, Cleveland has more sunny days, IMHO, than Columbus or Cincinnati, especially if you live close to Lake Erie.  My hubby would drive by Lake Erie every day, even if he didn't need to because he loves water and misses the ocean from visiting grandparents in FL as a kid.   COL in OH would be better than FL and there are many small towns that still allow for big town access.

I lived in Columbia, MD, which was very nice, but it is expensive.  Most of my friends purchased townhouses because a single family home was out of their price range.  It is the norm there, even for the solidly middle class.

I grew up there. Very expensive place to live, but a wonderful place to grow up. 

Glen Allen, Virginia. Has everything you need Including: a beach two hrs away, DC two hrs away, Monticello an hour away, Mount Vernon two hrs. away, Colonial Williamsburg an hour away, SWB an hour away, and Outer Banks an easy four hours away.

Williamsburg which is an hour away also had Great Wolf Lodge, Busch Gardens, a huge outdoor waterpark. Twenty five mins. from Glen Allen is Kings Dominion if the kids like giant roller coasters.

Alley

NJ and PA have 4 season climates and lots of areas that aren't really mountainous. They have towns with a smaller town feel that aren't rural. NJ is crowded in many places but there are quieter areas. There are lots of Catholic Churches.

You can definitely find everything you are looking for in NJ.    The most rural areas will likely have a bit of a commute to jobs (30 minutes or so) unless you have quite a bit of money.  

At least VT won the game quite handily today!  Blacksburg won't work for the OP though - too many mountains all around.

I grew up in Columbus, OH and love the seasons in OH!  The winters can seem long, cold, and gray.   Some southerners, it seems, don't get use to the cold and gray days.  Then you have to drive in the snow.  However, Cleveland has more sunny days, IMHO, than Columbus or Cincinnati, especially if you live close to Lake Erie.  My hubby would drive by Lake Erie every day, even if he didn't need to because he loves water and misses the ocean from visiting grandparents in FL as a kid.   COL in OH would be better than FL and there are many small towns that still allow for big town access.

Ohio is on the list, but I wonder if I could take the gray winter. Hubby has family in the Sandusky area, Finley, etc. Small towns compared to where we are. 

Knoxville.  I know you didn't like the mountains in NC, but Knoxville is far enough from them that they are just a nice view. :)  The area is afffordable, has a few large COs, and does have a RC community.  

Tennessee does sound gorgeous. Mountains as a view is exactly what I like. Just not in my face,, where I have to cirlce around so many times I don't know which way is which anymore. 

Glen Allen, Virginia. Has everything you need Including: a beach two hrs away, DC two hrs away, Monticello an hour away, Mount Vernon two hrs. away, Colonial Williamsburg an hour away, SWB an hour away, and Outer Banks an easy four hours away.

Williamsburg which is an hour away also had Great Wolf Lodge, Busch Gardens, a huge outdoor waterpark. Twenty five mins. from Glen Allen is Kings Dominion if the kids like giant roller coasters.

Alley

ooh, that sounds nice. What's the cost of living like?

Ok, all these threads about moving have me daydreaming. I have always lived in Florida. I've lived as far south as Palm Beach and as far north as Tallahasse. Visited NC moutains (too claustraphobic....the trees are overwhelming) and Wisconsin (too flat, not enough trees. Yes, I'm picky). 

What I want: smaller town feel. 4 seasons. I can totally handle cold/snow IF it is only 3 months or so a year. I do not want to live in the tundra. I also am tired of only having one season, summer. Or, as we often say, rainy season and the rest of the year. I want fall leaves, and spring, and I can handle a hot summer (obviously) and a cold winter. Just not a LONG winter. 

Also, as much as I want small town feel, my huband needs big companies, he's an Information Security Engineer and needs the salary of a big company. Doesn't have to be a tech company, lots of places hire information security. Just big enough to need that kind of service. 

We are liberal and Catholic, would like a Catholic Church within 25-30 minute drive. 

He's willing to commute up to 40 minutes or so for work. Not more than an hour. 

Check out Greenville, SC. It is consistently ranked as one of the top small cities in the U.S. 

What part of Wisconsin were you in? My family lives near La Crosse, WI in the southwest part of the state, just across the border from MN. It is right along the Mississippi River with beautiful bluffs, rolling hills, and lots and lots of trees. Definitely many Catholics in the area with private Catholic schools all the way through college, two major medical centers (one formerly Catholic, but now part of the Mayo system), and a university. If I was willing to do midwest summers and my husband was willing to do midwest winters, it is definitely a place we would strongly consider moving.

What part of Wisconsin were you in? My family lives near La Crosse, WI in the southwest part of the state, just across the border from MN. It is right along the Mississippi River with beautiful bluffs, rolling hills, and lots and lots of trees. Definitely many Catholics in the area with private Catholic schools all the way through college, two major medical centers (one formerly Catholic, but now part of the Mayo system), and a university. If I was willing to do midwest summers and my husband was willing to do midwest winters, it is definitely a place we would strongly consider moving.

That's exactly where we were! My Aunt/Uncle lives in La Crosse! How funny!

That's exactly where we were! My Aunt/Uncle lives in La Crosse! How funny!

Wow, what a coincidence! I never though of the area as flat or lacking trees, but I guess everyone sees things differently. I'm heading that direction soon, and fall there is absolutely gorgeous. It's actually a destination to view fall color. I've lived some beautiful places (upstate NY, CO, and OR), but the 40 minute drive from my family's small IA town to MN and across the river into La Crosse is still one of my favorites with the Mississippi River on one side of the road and beautiful bluffs on the other and lots of trees everywhere.

Ohio is on the list, but I wonder if I could take the gray winter. Hubby has family in the Sandusky area, Finley, etc. Small towns compared to where we are. 

Those of us that grew up here are kinda use to it.  I felt I needed to mention gray and cold since it's hard on some.  For me having family and good friends close by trump weather.  I do get tired of gray and cold as I get older but winter doesn't last forever.   

Wow, what a coincidence! I never though of the area as flat or lacking trees, but I guess everyone sees things differently. I'm heading that direction soon, and fall there is absolutely gorgeous. It's actually a destination to view fall color. I've lived some beautiful places (upstate NY, CO, and OR), but the 40 minute drive from my family's small IA town to MN and across the river into La Crosse is still one of my favorites with the Mississippi River on one side of the road and beautiful bluffs on the other and lots of trees everywhere.

You know, I'm thinking about it, and it really wasn't that the land was flat that bugged me. It was the oddness of all the buildings we drove by being low to the ground. Like, everything was only 1 story. Here, buildings are taller. It just struck me as odd. 

Those of us that grew up here are kinda use to it.  I felt I needed to mention gray and cold since it's hard on some.  For me having family and good friends close by trump weather.  I do get tired of gray and cold as I get older but winter doesn't last forever.   

That would probably bother me. I'm photosynthetic practically. We've had a week of gray and rainy here and I'm so over it. I need the sun!

I want to leave here because of the lack of seasons. It is sunny out. The trees are dying..no red, orange, and yellow leaves. Some, but very few, leaves will turn. But not enough to be pretty. And IF we get snow, it is once every couple years, for a day. Last year, we had 4 days of ice. I mean, you could not drive or leave your house. It was nuts. And never had actual snow. In 2001, we did get 4 days of snow. That is so rare that all these years later, it stands out in my mind. On the rare occasion we get snow, we run outside and take pictures.

So if you want 4 seasons, skip Dallas/Ft worth.

I lived in Frisco,TX (northern suburb of Dallas) from 2005 to 2013.  We got snow every single year we were there.  (Being from Florida, snow was incredibly exciting and photo worthy.)  That being said, I hated the heat and almost perpetual drought in the area and was incredibly happy to move away.

If you want warmer more than cooler, I'd suggest someplace like a suburb of Atlanta since you are relatively close to it already. It would be an easier move. You could find plenty of places with a small town feeling and still be close to Atlanta if your DH works there. Atlanta metro is much more liberal than the rest of GA. Peachtree City could be perfect for you. It doesn't snow often, but when we were in the area, we'd usually get snow of some kind about 2-4 times a year. You get 4 seasons and there's definitely a Catholic church.

Peachtree City is overwhelmed with trees. There are houses that never see sunshine. I think you could like the climate but it is very claustrophobic with trees. I think the entire Atlanta area has an overwhelming amount of trees. They are tall and absolutely everywhere.

An even better climate for you would be Northwest Arkansas. Now before you dismiss it because it is Arkansas, hear me out. The best and most prosperous part of the state is the northwest corner with Walmart headquarters and the University of Arkansas. There are trees but not too many. There are four seasons but none are unbearable or long. There are large hills but you don't have to navigate them.

Lexington Kentucky could be another nice choice. Kentucky is better than people imagine. Louisville is also nice but bigger. The suburbs of Louisville were incorporated into one big town/county around 15 years ago. Most of those areas retain their small town feel and identity. Louisville is a better town than people from out of state assume.

Northwest Connecticut is beautiful. Low, rolling hills, but open, because there is farmland. Many towns are stunning, with white houses and white steepled churches.

The Connecticut shore is lovely too. It's on Long Island Sound, not the ocean. Becomes more affordable as you move east. Lots of tech companies in CT.

I love the Eastern Shore of MD, but I don't know much about jobs there. Agree with others that Montgomery County is crowded, but further west could be a possibility. Love eastern VA too.

Middletown, NJ is near water, but not the 'shore.' There is farmland and trees. Decent commute to tech companies.

I am not sure that real estate -- and real estate taxes -- in any of these areas will be comparable to Florida's. I think there should be Catholic Churches in all these places.

Of all the places I've lived, the Virginia coast sounds like it would fit best. VA Beach (I lived there for six months in the Navy) has four seasons but winters are mild.

Don't come to Arizona (too hot). Don't go to West Texas (too flat), and don't go to the Chicago area (too cold).

Raleigh/Durham NC comes to mind.

So does Hunt Valley in MD or maybe near Harrisburg in PA.

I was going to suggest Harrisburg area or maybe northern Maryland too. They could live in the Frederick or Annapolis area and commute to DC, or live around Severna Park and commute to DC or Baltimore, or a lot of places around that area and commute to DC or Baltimore.

We have all four seasons. Winter can be a little longer than three months, though, depending on the year, but so many years, December isn't terribly cold yet, and by March, it's starting to warm up. But spring and fall are heavenly, and summer is very tolerable most of the time (especially this summer).

You need to stay put. Even a bad day in Florida is better than anywhere else.

A post that definitely shows how different we all can be!

When we dropped youngest off at his college in FL this past August we were completely reminded why we moved FROM there.  ;)

Now if we could work out snowbirding... 9 - 10 months here and 2 or maybe 3 in FL... that could be close to perfect!   :coolgleamA:

That would probably bother me. I'm photosynthetic practically. We've had a week of gray and rainy here and I'm so over it. I need the sun!

Then February in the north will not be an easy time for you . . . very grey, you are totally over the snow, and yet it's STILL winter.

That said, I suggest south central Indiana. Bloomington is a college town with a liberal vibe and a strong Catholic community.  It's an hour drive from Indianapolis for work in the city. Four seasons, beautiful rolling hills, winters are not too too bad.

You've got other great suggestions as well--coastal Virginia and Tennessee are both beautiful, and more mild climate-wise.  Might be a better transition for a Florida girl in the winter.

I have no idea where you should live, but I am still laughing at your description of WI as too flat and not enough trees. As someone who has lived in various places all over the state, I can say neither of those descriptions would have occurred to me! Too cold, for sure, but not flat or not enough trees.

You need to stay put. Even a bad day in Florida is better than anywhere else.

Different strokes for different folks. Parts of Florida are on my "I wouldn't live there for all the tea in China" list. I was so happy when relatives moved away from there and I was no longer needing to visit there 1-2 times a year.

St. Louis hits most of the marks on your list: four seasons, moderate COL, decent traffic and commute times, heavily Catholic (lots of good Catholic high schools and a Jesuit university), trees and hills (but not too many!), and a ton of stuff for homeschoolers. Most of Missouri is rather "red state" but the metro area is very politically diverse. Lots of suburban areas can have a smaller town feel.

Yes, it can be too hot/too cold/too humid/too dry here. Usually all in the same week, but it rarely goes on and on for weeks and months.

DH is an Information Security Analyst and has no problems with finding employment. He's been on the DoD/government side.