Menu

Is there not an Ebola in Dallas thread yet?

staceyobu

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unquestionably.  Still, I think it's really hard to arrange the entire thing between exposure and getting sick.

You are probably right, my best guess is that he was planning to leave the country (likely with the intent of avoiding the disease) and after knowing he had been exposed did not change his plans and yes very probably lied (though technically knowing a family member or other person he had been in contact with was sick does not equate to knowing they had ebola) to be able to get on the plane.

I actually don't blame him for any of that, though I really, really wish things had been handled better on this end.

I am also not surprised, just disappointed, that he initially slipped through the cracks at the hospital. 

He was treated like any other uninsured patient showing up at the emergency room with minor symptoms. Maybe he thought the antibiotic they gave him would cure him.

Current events and history lesson all in one today.  :)

*wry* I have learned a lot about Liberia in the last year since my son entered the children's program at our church -- they strongly support some students and a school in Liberia (Tewor? I think is the name of the village).  Including sending people to help build buildings, do medical support (in companion with a church in Atlanta Georgia).  So every week we get to meet another of "our" kids. Or have someone come after a mission trip to talk about what they did and what it felt like to be there.  I'd MUCH rather Liberia NOT have made the news this way. Especially because I'm suspicious that the "assistant" the minister of health that just went into self imposed quarantine because her assistant died is Mr. Barthwaite that has helped us a LOT on our various trips to Liberia over the years. And a village nearby has confirmed ebola deaths so we don't know what is happening with our kids currently.

*wry* I have learned a lot about Liberia in the last year since my son entered the children's program at our church -- they strongly support some students and a school in Liberia (Tewor? I think is the name of the village).  Including sending people to help build buildings, do medical support (in companion with a church in Atlanta Georgia).  So every week we get to meet another of "our" kids. Or have someone come after a mission trip to talk about what they did and what it felt like to be there.  I'd MUCH rather Liberia NOT have made the news this way. Especially because I'm suspicious that the "assistant" the minister of health that just went into self imposed quarantine because her assistant died is Mr. Barthwaite that has helped us a LOT on our various trips to Liberia over the years. And a village nearby has confirmed ebola deaths so we don't know what is happening with our kids currently.

The bolded is sad.  :(  Our family supports a child in Nicaragua, and his picture is on our refrigerator.  When you "know" these people, it makes it personal, and that is a good thing.  We should be invested in each other to the level at which it hurts when people on another continent are affected by serious illness or other problems.

My dh wants us to go on our church mission trip to Africa next year.  (Not sure what part of Africa they will be visiting.)  My church has an orphanage and a village it supports located in Africa.  I've wanted to go there for years.

Interesting.

ZMapp, the wonder ebola-fighting drug? is grown on tobacco plants.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/world/us-to-increase-production-of-experimental-drug-but-may-not-meet-demand.html?action=click&contentCollection=US%20Open&region=Article&module=Promotron

Currently by Reynolds.

But they are looking at perhaps also producing in Bryan, TX! Bryan/College Station is home of Texas A&M University and the town I consider my hometown. So exciting!

Interesting.

ZMapp, the wonder ebola-fighting drug? is grown on tobacco plants.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/world/us-to-increase-production-of-experimental-drug-but-may-not-meet-demand.html?action=click&contentCollection=US%20Open&region=Article&module=Promotron

Currently by Reynolds.

But they are looking at perhaps also producing in Bryan, TX! Bryan/College Station is home of Texas A&M University and the town I consider my hometown. So exciting!

Tobacco plants! Go figure!

So if I tell you I had lunch at Cafe Rod this weekend, you'll know where I'm talking about?

Tobacco plants! Go figure!

So if I tell you I had lunch at Cafe Rod this weekend, you'll know where I'm talking about?

No. But looking it up online I do remember having dinner at a mexican restraunt in Bryan that was a big deal. Supposed to be real Mexican food and all quite a few years ago. Kind of a hole in the wall shop and from the website I'd expect this to be a bigger deal? We'll look it up one time we're over there. My sister still lives in the area so we get there quite a bit (2.5 hours away)

Was he there when she died, or when the brother died? If his only contact was the taxi incident, it is entirely possible he didn't know exactly what the problem was.

Personally, I suspect he knew he had been exposed. Whether he planned the trip to the US before or after exposure, he would have followed through knowing he had been exposed in the hope of escaping the disease or, if he caught it, having a better chance of survival.

How many of us would lie if we thought we had a 70% chance of dying if we didn't lie, and a much better chance at life if we did?

I guess we can't know unless we experience the situation. However, I'd LIKE to think I wouldn't knowingly hop on a plane with a deadly disease and expose countless people along the way, including my family at the other end.

It doesn't exactly fit in the "white lie" category.

No. But looking it up online I do remember having dinner at a mexican restraunt in Bryan that was a big deal. Supposed to be real Mexican food and all quite a few years ago. Kind of a hole in the wall shop and from the website I'd expect this to be a bigger deal? We'll look it up one time we're over there. My sister still lives in the area so we get there quite a bit (2.5 hours away)

It's pretty good. At least, its' better than most of the chains.  Dh's family is from that area.  We're more like 3 hours away.

I guess we can't know unless we experience the situation. However, I'd LIKE to think I wouldn't knowingly hop on a plane with a deadly disease and expose countless people along the way, including my family at the other end.

United airlines is alerting all the passengers and crew who were on the same plane as the ebola patient:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-10-02/united-offers-ebola-tests-to-crews-who-flew-u-dot-s-dot-patient

(I am on my phone, so don't know if the link will work).

The man obviously lied in Liberia and to the airline...

It is folly, at this point, to term anything about this case as "obvious".  

I'm not ready to condemn this guy either. 

Nor am I.  It's easy to play armchair quarterback and assign blame, but the reality is that we have very little knowledge despite the myriad of "news".  

I guess we can't know unless we experience the situation. However, I'd LIKE to think I wouldn't knowingly hop  and expose countless people along the way, including my family at the other end.

He did not know he had ebola when he got on the plane. He may have lied about exposure, but he did not "knowingly hop on a plane with a deadly disease." I think this guy should be given a break. We know very little for sure except that he did not have a fever when getting on the first plane. Therefore, he could not possibly have known he had ebola. Should he have refused to help the sick woman? Called off his plans after helping her? I don't know. At this point, I only know that I hope he gets well.

I feel certain that their every need is being appropriately attended to, though.

I don't share your certainty.  My impression is that proper sanitation has yet to be provided.  My further impression is that great many people allegedly in the know really don't have a clue what to do and are therefore vying for the Honorary Pass the Buck Award.

I'm by no means in a state of panic, but I'm disturbed that our self-congratulatory "first world" society appears to be in a mell of hess in responding to one case of Ebola.  

At the same time, I can't think of any amount of money that would persuade ME to be the one to suit up and sanitize that apartment.  I perhaps could be religiously guilted into doing it, but no amount of money.

This gives me whole new respect for Mother Teresa.

He may have lied about exposure, but he did not "knowingly hop on a plane with a deadly disease." 

To make such an assertion is plain ignorant.  We don't have a clue (and never will) what he really knew.  Nor do we know what it's like to live in an area ravaged by an epidemic.  Oh, we can get all high & mighty, claiming we'd never do this or would definitely do that.  Yada yada yada.  Hot air.

Food has been delivered to them. Professional cleaners have been supplied for them to disinfect the apartment. I'm sure their clothes will be washed for them.

An article I read recently stated that washing was insufficient for killing Ebola virus. It was talking about the impact if it came to Australia and said the most difficult part would be making sure there were adequate processes for incinerating all bedding etc of individuals infected. It can be killed by bleach on hard surfaces so I'm not sure why it doesn't work on soft surfaces.

Also if something is inadequately disinfected it can survive somewhere in the region of 50 days on a hard surface.

I feel seriously bad for all those potentially exposed. The next 21 days is going to be very anxious for them.

To make such an assertion is plain ignorant.  We don't have a clue (and never will) what he really knew.  Nor do we know what it's like to live in an area ravaged by an epidemic.  Oh, we can get all high & mighty, claiming we'd never do this or would definitely do that.  Yada yada yada.  Hot air.

I'm not sure I'm following you in calling the assertion plain ignorant. If he was asymptomatic, how would he know he had it? 

Are you calling my words ignorant? Because we can be 100% certain that he did not know he had ebola. Fever is the first symptom, and he did not have a fever. Or am I misunderstanding?

How are these people being monitored?  What if their temperature spikes and symptoms appear rapidly between these temperature checks, but the individual is not worried about it?

:001_rolleyes:

Sure, why would they be worried if their temperatures spike after possible exposure to ebola? It's all good, right?

Are you calling my words ignorant? Because we can be 100% certain that he did not know he had ebola. Fever is the first symptom, and he did not have a fever. Or am I misunderstanding?

He got up close and personal with an ebola patient in the last stages of the disease (that's when fluids come out of everyplace).  They drove her to a hospital where she was turned away because the ebola treatment center had no room (so I'm thinking they knew she had ebola - they weren't bringing her in for some other reason).  Then he helped carry her in by the legs.  The likelihood that he'd gotten it is pretty darned high, even if he didn't have symptoms yet.

Totally agree with the bolded. I'll be honest. I hope I would do the right and stay home to die, instead of traveling and possibly spreading the disease to many people. But I really don't know. The instinct for self-preservation is so strong, that if it really came down to it, I honestly don't know how I would respond. Fight or flight and all that. And if one of my children was involved...well, all bets are off. Because I'm pretty sure I'd do anything, even immoral or potentially illegal things, if I thought I could save them. Maybe that makes me a bad person, but I just don't know how you'd deal with living in an under-developed country, and know that by staying, you were basically signing your own death warrant, but if you left, there might be hope. How can any of us know for sure how we'd react in such a dire situation?

Is power washing the apartment complex the right way to kill any ebola germs?  Is that how the throw-up was cleaned?

I HIGHLY doubt it. Dh is required to wear PPE when dealing with things much less lethal than Ebola.  Sure hope nobody sprayed vomit droplets up into their eyes, nose, or mouth!

Seriously, the more casual I see this being handled, the more I think I will eventually freak.

He got up close and personal with an ebola patient in the last stages of the disease (that's when fluids come out of everyplace).  They drove her to a hospital where she was turned away because the ebola treatment center had no room (so I'm thinking they knew she had ebola - they weren't bringing her in for some other reason).  Then he helped carry her in by the legs.  The likelihood that he'd gotten it is pretty darned high, even if he didn't have symptoms yet.

Perhaps the likelihood is high. I imagine that we will never know if he *thought* he had ebola. BUT we know for sure that he did not *know* he had ebola when he got on that plane. That is what I was responding to.

Oh my.

Where are the protective suits???  Are these workers now counted among the people who have had contact with the ebola patient's bodily fluids?

And what about the cars parked nearby that would have been hit with the dirty (germy) water?   The painters who pressure washed our house and fence before painting took more care to keep our neighbors' vehicles from getting wet!  

I'm not sure I'm following you in calling the assertion plain ignorant. If he was asymptomatic, how would he know he had it? 

Apologies for a lack of clarity on my part.  To assert that the man knowingly traveled with a deadly disease is plain ignorant.  Clearer?

Apologies for a lack of clarity on my part.  To assert that the man knowingly traveled with a deadly disease is plain ignorant.  Clearer?

Thanks for explaining. I wanted to agree with the rest of your post, but that seemed awkward... :)

He knew he likely had it. If you go back and read through the many articles (and you might want to look over local news because there has been a lot there), he left Africa because people in his home were dying and the hospitals were full. His neighbor died too. So after watching some of his roommates die, he got together every last penny he could come up with (he was a poor person, not a wealthy person who had a habit of traveling otherwise), and at the last second, purchased a plane ticket to the US, where he had said he could get medical treatment. He showed up in the ER shortly after arriving, despite being a foreigner (people are typically not that quick to go to an ER in a foreign country with no way to pay, especially over flu symptoms). His own brother says he knew he had it. Oh. and he lied to the government when getting cleared to get on the plane in the first place and claimed he had not been around anyone with Ebola, even though he was holding the hand of someone with Ebola while they died just hours earlier.

It all adds up to..this was on purpose, and with a blatant disregard for everyone else.

He threw up in a public place and did not alert anyone leaving his bodily fluids for children to walk through. His brother had to alert the CDC to what was going on.

To make it even more confusing, NBC showed a segment tonight with the taxi driver who took the (now dead) lady, her brother, and this guy to the hospital in Liberia.  He said they all had no idea it was ebola - that they thought she was having a miscarriage.  He appears to be doing fine right now, but he also said he didn't touch anyone - he just drove the taxi.

No matter what, I hope the guy lives and that others weren't infected.  He did a noble thing trying to help someone who was ill - regardless of what he thought it was.  If he later learned it was ebola, I don't blame him a bit for coming to the US - just in case.  I do wish he hadn't gone home from the ER visit the first time, but he might have actually believed the medical people who told him not to worry - esp since he told them he came from Liberia.  He might truly have thought it was just something else he picked up since powers that be (who should have known) told him that's all it was.

He knew he likely had it. If you go back and read through the many articles (and you might want to look over local news because there has been a lot there), he left Africa because people in his home were dying and the hospitals were full. His neighbor died too. So after watching some of his roommates die, he got together every last penny he could come up with (he was a poor person, not a wealthy person who had a habit of traveling otherwise), and at the last second, purchased a plane ticket to the US, where he had said he could get medical treatment. He showed up in the ER shortly after arriving, despite being a foreigner (people are typically not that quick to go to an ER in a foreign country with no way to pay, especially over flu symptoms). His own brother says he knew he had it. Oh. and he lied to the government when getting cleared to get on the plane in the first place and claimed he had not been around anyone with Ebola, even though he was holding the hand of someone with Ebola while they died just hours earlier.

It all adds up to..this was on purpose, and with a blatant disregard for everyone else.

He threw up in a public place and did not alert anyone leaving his bodily fluids for children to walk through. His brother had to alert the CDC to what was going on.

Where are you getting this information? An article I just read said the people quarantined in the apartment are his girlfriend/partner, one of her children, and two other young adult men (one of whom may be his nephew). So, if this man had a girlfriend here then I would think he must travel here somewhat often. The article said she even calls him the father of one of her children and refers to him as her husband. Did she travel here with him or is it her apartment? It's all so confusing!

I feel bad for the guy and the people stuck in that apartment. I find it ridiculous they couldn't get them out of there or get it cleaned up in the last several days. That's just not right.

ETA: Here's the article that I was referencing.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/02/us/texas-woman-quarantine-ebola-thomas-duncan/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

From what I have read so far, I'm in the benefit of the doubt camp for this guy. Especially with the reports that they didn't know that the woman had ebola. She was the first case in the neighborhood. She was not a relative, so it seems he did not lie on the form. We know he didn't have a fever. It feels like Liberia trying to prosecute him is mostly posturing. They need the airports to remain open. They need it to look like they're doing absolutely everything they can.

I do, however, feel like the health officials in Dallas and the folks at that hospital have bungled things at every step. Hopefully, in the grand scheme, it will turn out to be okay and no one else will have gotten infected, but they had several chances to hinder the spread of ebola that weren't taken or weren't taken well. I can only hope systems will learn from that.

From what I have read so far, I'm in the benefit of the doubt camp for this guy. Especially with the reports that they didn't know that the woman had ebola. She was the first case in the neighborhood. She was not a relative, so it seems he did not lie on the form. We know he didn't have a fever. It feels like Liberia trying to prosecute him is mostly posturing. They need the airports to remain open. They need it to look like they're doing absolutely everything they can.

I do, however, feel like the health officials in Dallas and the folks at that hospital have bungled things at every step. Hopefully, in the grand scheme, it will turn out to be okay and no one else will have gotten infected, but they had several chances to hinder the spread of ebola that weren't taken or weren't taken well. I can only hope systems will learn from that.

She lived with him. And the news reports are stating that she was turned away because the "Ebola Unit" was already full. And he was a man who had little means, and had not previously purchased the plane ticket until the deaths in the home. Then he suddenly purchased the ticket and lied on his travel papers.

She lived with him. And the news reports are stating that she was turned away because the "Ebola Unit" was already full. And he was a man who had little means, and had not previously purchased the plane ticket until the deaths in the home. Then he suddenly purchased the ticket and lied on his travel papers.

Can you please link your source?

The article I read today from the NY Times said that they lived in the same apartment building (or maybe it was boarding house type building?) but that they were not relatives. Did he suddenly purchase the ticket less than four days from travel? I haven't seen that anywhere.

The news reports are all over the place regarding what actually happened.  I would urge caution (to all of us) about drawing any conclusions or stating anything firmly until there's a little more time for things to get sorted out.

I HIGHLY doubt it. Dh is required to wear PPE when dealing with things much less lethal than Ebola.  Sure hope nobody sprayed vomit droplets up into their eyes, nose, or mouth!

Seriously, the more casual I see this being handled, the more I think I will eventually freak.

Did you see the article I posted that included pic of the clean-up?

Oh my.

Where are the protective suits???  Are these workers now counted among the people who have had contact with the ebola patient's bodily fluids?

And what about the cars parked nearby that would have been hit with the dirty (germy) water?   The painters who pressure washed our house and fence before painting took more care to keep our neighbors' vehicles from getting wet!  

I don't even know what to say.  

Did you see the woman casually walking by (about to step in the puddle of germs)?  Do you think they will sanitize the equipment sitting in the water?  What about their clothing and shoes?  

Did you see the article I posted that included pic of the clean-up?

The article said that the helicopter reporter took the picture, but that they didn't know if the power washing had anything to do with the Ebola or not, just that it was taking place in that apartment complex. It didn't say that was the clean up. It said they didn't know.

NBC had a reporter on the ground at the village on their 6:30pm news tonight.  Unless they are lying to us, she did not live with him, but they were in the same village.  They pointed out their specific apartments (not even the same building). This guy helped her brother get her to a hospital thinking she was in the late stages of a miscarriage.

Later, after she died, he may very well have speculated ebola and gotten smart about getting to the US to try to save himself, but it really doesn't appear that he thought this was the case from the beginning.