Menu

Is there not an Ebola in Dallas thread yet?

staceyobu

I didn't suggest they should, but that *I* would.

The more logical answer, imho, would be to keep the EXPOSED kids out.  I can't imagine how that's not common sense. 

Technically they're not contagious unless they're showing symptoms. So maybe it violates their rights to force them to stay home when they're not symptomatic.

Although the CDC website does say that it can be spread my coughing/sneezing if mucous lands on another person. (that person would have to touch their mouth, nose or eyes afterward, I'm guessing)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a master at hyperbole.  It's part of my charm.  Though I hereby challenge you to a cut-fixing contest.  I will not involve any ponies, though.  Too dangerous for the ponies.  ;)

My engineer brother in California happily fixes his cuts with super glue. I  bet he would be willing to take part in the competition.

Technically they're not contagious unless they're showing symptoms. So maybe it violates their rights to force them to stay home when they're not symptomatic.

Although the CDC website does say that it can be spread my coughing/sneezing if mucous lands on another person. (that person would have to touch their mouth, nose or eyes afterward, I'm guessing)

Coughing and sneezing means being symptomatic though. And I don't know, sneezes are really, really good at getting droplets airborne...a person in the vicinity could just breathe them in.

This video is rather disturbing to someone thinking about contagion:

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/slow-motion-sneezes.htm

I didn't suggest they should, but that *I* would.

The more logical answer, imho, would be to keep the EXPOSED kids out.  I can't imagine how that's not common sense. 

Just curious as to how far that would go.

I think a lot of common sense is not being used for just about everything in this situation.

Some of you suggested keeping kid home from school.  I know people in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.  Should people in Dallas county keep their kids home?  Just the affected schools?  Neighboring counties?  The entire D/FW area?  I mean how far do you go?

If it were me…or I was somehow affiliated with the DFW schools…I would probably close the schools that had potentially infected/exposed students today…and bring in a cleaning team… who would, of course, pay special attention to their classrooms, communal areas, bathrooms, door handles, drinking fountains and the like.  I would do that to make the community feel more at ease…plus, it probably wouldn't hurt.

I would not bother with other schools, though.

I'm really bothered that few people seem to care much about Ebola unless there's some sort of perceived or real risk to Americans. I'm not talking about this board necessarily, but in the US and its media.  

WHO has been saying for many months that more help from wealthy countries is necessary to get this outbreak under control.  But no one really seemed to pay attention until a couple of Americans were infected and then flown to the US for treatment.  

But after they were treated and recovered, everything quieted down again and WHO kept asking for more help without getting anywhere near enough.  Meanwhile, Ebola cases continued to spread.

Then, finally, Obama announced that many more Americans would be going into West Africa to build hospitals and provide more support. I hope this is happening and that the US and other countries are willing to commit enough resources and people to make a difference because West Africa needs help right now. There was some uproar about that too (personally, I'd far rather a loved one be sent to Liberia to build hospitals than to a military conflict).  Still, we are a long way from getting this outbreak under control.

Now everyone is in an uproar about one person who is in the US with Ebola.  Yes, the man knew he had been exposed and could (maybe should) have done things differently.  However, unless he is a US citizen, it's very unlikely he got a visa and booked a flight in the few days since he was exposed.  I think it's much more likely he already had this trip planned and hoped he wouldn't get sick.  I can think of a lot of reasons why he'd make the choices he did.

But this case in the US is distracting us again from the real problem which is combating the disease in West Africa.  Travel bans would make it harder to stop the outbreak (and unfairly punish those who were going to help) and they keep the focus on protecting Americans to the exclusion of everyone else.  It seems much more logical to fight the disease at its source than focusing on its very distant fringes.

If it were me…or I was somehow affiliated with the DFW schools…I would probably close the schools that had potentially infected/exposed students today…and bring in a cleaning team… who would, of course, pay special attention to their classrooms, communal areas, bathrooms, door handles, drinking fountains and the like.  I would do that to make the community feel more at ease…plus, it probably wouldn't hurt.

This is what I would do, as well.

We can do it in the biology lab and call it an experiment.

My engineer brother in California happily fixes his cuts with super glue. I  bet he would be willing to take part in the competition.

The more the merrier, but I can't leave my classroom so it will have to be here.  They MIGHT get upset with a cutting competition, but I KNOW they'd get upset if I left the kids alone.

With these kids, chances are we'd have a cheering section.  Some classes could get grossed out, but I'm thinking we're ok with these.

Or, I have lunch at 11:10 and I eat with the science teachers, so we'd have a lab then.  Can you make it?

And on that OTHER topic... I've no idea what our school would do if a "watched" kid had been here.  I fully suspect most parents would keep their kids at home though.  I'd still come.  I actually wonder what our school will do if enterovirus comes here.  I haven't seen anything official pre-planning for that one.  When the flu comes around each year, we're still in class even when classes are down 10% or more.

We had to do that here in 2003 over strep. It was TERRIBLE. Some kids got the flesh eating kind! At one point, the elementary school had more than 30% of the student body out with strep. Every time they would close the school for a week hoping it would stop the spread, they would re-open and quickly students started getting it again. Finally, some moms decided they were going to handle the cleaning. Alcohol swabs on the computer keyboards, Lysol on the door knobs, etc. The custodians had been left to it and apparently were just doing "the usual" which did not include a lot of common sense "all of the kids touch this stuff" items. Those gals alcohol swabbed textbooks, bleached walls, through away chalk, took the ball pit outside and made up bleach water and hosed it and it's occupants down thoroughly then allowed to dry in the sunshine, counting bears in kindergarten and other math manipulatives were disinfected if plastic, if not, put into laundry bags and put in the dryer on high for an hour if they could withstand it, you name it. They CLEANED with a capitol C. That stopped it. When the school re-opened, there was not one more case.

The thing that scared me was the teacher that went to Mexico on spring break, came back with TB and didn't know, and taught for weeks with her cough. Four students ended up with TB. Ugh....

If they are going to shut a school down to disinfect. GOOD! But they need to follow a CDC protocol and not just assume that the custodial routine is good enough, and they'll need to hire a nurse or someone to coordinate it to make sure it is done right! Unless of course the CDC decides to do it themselves.

I'm really bothered that few people seem to care much about Ebola unless there's some sort of perceived or real risk to Americans. I'm not talking about this board necessarily, but in the US and its media.  

WHO has been saying for many months that more help from wealthy countries is necessary to get this outbreak under control.  But no one really seemed to pay attention until a couple of Americans were infected, and then flown to the US for treatment.  

But after they were treated and recovered, everything quieted down again and WHO kept asking for more help without getting anywhere near enough.  Meanwhile, Ebola cases continued to spread.

Then, finally, Obama announced that many more Americans would be going into West Africa to build hospitals and provide more support. I hope this is happening and that the US and other countries are willing to commit enough resources and people to make a difference because West Africa needs help right now. There was some uproar about that too (personally, I'd far rather a loved one be sent to Liberia to build hospitals than to a military conflict).  Still, we are a long way from getting this outbreak under control.

Now everyone is in an uproar about one person who is in the US with Ebola.  Yes, the man knew he had been exposed and could (maybe should) have done things differently.  However, unless he is a US citizen, it's very unlikely he got a visa and booked a flight in the few days since he was exposed.  I think it's much more likely he already had this trip planned and hoped he wouldn't get sick.  I can think of a lot of reasons why he'd make the choices he did.

But this case in the US is distracting us again from the real problem which is combating the disease in West Africa.  Travel bans would make it harder to stop the outbreak (and unfairly punish those who were going to help) and they keep the focus on protecting Americans to the exclusion of everyone else.  It seems much more logical to fight the disease at its source than focusing on its very distant fringes.

I agree with you.  The US response (and likely the response of other first world countries, though I do not know about that) has appeared to be slow and inadequate.  We help countries by sending money and personnel for much less important issues, IMO.  These are our brothers and sisters.  They are poor and helpless.  We have a responsibility to help them.

I know there are always political undercurrents for these situations about which I am unaware, but at the core this is an issue of those who are able to help, helping those who cannot help themselves.  (awkward sentence structure)

I know close to nothing about international relations so I probably should not express my opinion, but there it is.

We have this issue at school all the time.  Kids come when sick because they need to in order to play sports, because their parents don't want them staying home, because they have tests/projects they are working on, and probably a few other reasons I'm forgetting.

Days are rare when I'm not sending at least one student to the nurse for an illness.  About 1/4th who are sent for illness purposes are sent home (fevers, vomiting).  The rest get cough drops or tylenol for their headache/sore throat or similar.

Then there are those who refuse to go to the nurse (esp those sports kids if their team is playing - no school = no play - can't even be on the sidelines).

The fact that they might be getting others sick is not a concern to them - period.

Schools don't exactly facilitate staying home when sick - requiring a doctor's note for any absence, allowing very few excused absences, etc.

I totally fix cuts with super glue.  I stick it on cuts that don't technically need it because it's ever so much more convenient than a bandaid as a germ barrier. My DH is a knifemaker, so we go through kind of a lot of super glue.

I think there is some modern evidence that eating garlic helps boost immunity?

The garlic was also supposed to keep evil away. No vampires, just evil. ;) 

From the stories my mother has told me, I wish I could have known her. She was a classic stereotype of a late 19th-early 20th century Italian immigrant. And very superstitious.

Enterovirus is fairly common and has generally been associated with relatively mild illness. This year enterovirus 68 has been associated with severe respiratory symptoms and possibly with paralysis. Viruses change.

The ebola viruses cause serious illness and each is associated with a high fatality rate in Africa. On the upside, it has, traditionally, been considered fairly difficult to transmit person-to-person. During this latest outbreak, however, the virus has spread more (geographically) than in other outbreaks. A patient has now transported it to Texas, and it would not be surprising if this event repeats. The virus is now in a new “environment,†so to speak. We don’t know how (or if) this will impact the virus. But viruses change.

I find this to be a subject of concern. This does not mean that I am moving into a bunker or putting on a tinfoil hat. I think that we should have a coherent strategy for dealing with public health emergencies (particularly dangerous emerging viruses). This would necessarily include discussion of quarantine and travel restrictions in emergencies. I think that is a discussion in which we should all engage, because the implications will affect us all.

I am at a loss to understand how a discussion about the appearance of Ebola in Texas devolved into a mockery of one person’s concern and a debate about chili. I do understand humor can be used to defuse a situation; it also can be a tool of derision. The current situation feels like the latter to me.

Where I live there have been huge issues with school policy on illness.   If your child is home sick they call you.  They harass you.  They demand you bring your child in even if they have a cough/fever/etc.  I have had many friends complain about this.

For example, I have a friend that had 4k/kinder kids.  They were sick.  She kept them home.  The school called and insisted she bring them in.  She told the school she was giving them another day to recover and if they didn't she was taking them to the doctor.  The school told her she was failing her children by allowing them to be at home instead of in class learning.  She is a young mother.  She got scared.  She brought them to school.  2 days later they were both a lot worse and she kept them home again.  She took them to the doctor.  It was a viral infection and the older one ended up in pretty bad shape,  It took 2 weeks to recover and another month before they really acted like themselves again.  She kept them home for another week then sent them back to school even though the older one still didn't feel well.  The school kept calling and harassing her about not bringing her kids back to school for the remaining days they were home and she felt like a really bad parent for keeping them home that week.  The stress was so high, she ended up homeschooling the next year.

When did this change?  Is this common in other parts of the country?  Is it tied to funding?  When I was in school you stayed home if you were sick.  And especially if you had a doctor's note it was an excused absence.  

And this is how things go badly in these threads and why humor is interjected.

It is gallows humor, for sure, and people may not agree with it.  I don't agree with being doom and gloom serious at all times, and when I make a joke, it is not to downplay anyone's pain or illness.  We can't do much at all to help this situation, so we talk and laugh and have a community here.  Humor and concern are not mutually exclusive.

When did this change?  Is this common in other parts of the country?  Is it tied to funding?  When I was in school you stayed home if you were sick.  And especially if you had a doctor's note it was an excused absence.  

It is tied to funding.  For every butt in a seat at homeroom (or when attendance is taken), the school gets money, at least in TX.

Jinnah,

I'm sorry it seems like people are ganging up on you and being nit-picky about your wording. I know what you meant.

I think it would be sad if a healthcare worker died of ebola. It wouldn't be happy, would it? 

Frankly, this thread seems really disrespectful of the many human beings who are suffering or have died from this terrible disease. I guess if making BBQ jokes makes you feel better...

Yeah, I will probably get attacked on this thread, too. I feel sorry for Jinnah - I would be really upset if so many people were having fun trying to dismiss what I had to say.

Enterovirus is fairly common and has generally been associated with relatively mild illness. This year enterovirus 68 has been associated with severe respiratory symptoms and possibly with paralysis. Viruses change.

The ebola viruses cause serious illness and each is associated with a high fatality rate in Africa. On the upside, it has, traditionally, been considered fairly difficult to transmit person-to-person. During this latest outbreak, however, the virus has spread more (geographically) than in other outbreaks. A patient has now transported it to Texas, and it would not be surprising if this event repeats. The virus is now in a new “environment,†so to speak. We don’t know how (or if) this will impact the virus. But viruses change.

I find this to be a subject of concern. This does not mean that I am moving into a bunker or putting on a tinfoil hat. I think that we should have a coherent strategy for dealing with public health emergencies (particularly dangerous emerging viruses). This would necessarily include discussion of quarantine and travel restrictions in emergencies. I think that is a discussion in which we should all engage, because the implications will affect us all.

I am at a loss to understand how a discussion about the appearance of Ebola in Texas devolved into a mockery of one person’s concern and a debate about chili. I do understand humor can be used to defuse a situation; it also can be a tool of derision. The current situation feels like the latter to me.

Thank you for saying this.  I appreciate it.

WHO has been saying for many months that more help from wealthy countries is necessary to get this outbreak under control.  But no one really seemed to pay attention until a couple of Americans were infected and then flown to the US for treatment.  

We do this ALL THE TIME.  I get that, in a way, its human nature…but geesh, it is so annoying.

Take ISIS and Syria.  Pretty much Americans didn't care until the beheadings.  Even then, it probably wouldn't have mattered if it hadn't been Americans who were beheaded. 

As Reza Aslan pointed out so well, in a similar timeframe Saudi beheaded 19 people.  BUT….we need them, so who cares.  http://mediamatters.org/video/2014/09/29/on-cnn-reza-aslan-explains-how-the-media-is-fai/200942

Same with Israel and the settlements….please, pretty please don't build anymore.  We say this every single time.  But when Russia tries to take Ukranian land, we are all sanction happy.

We really didn't give a hoot about the apartheid situation in Africa until the divestment campaign took off big time, and companies realized that it was not OK to continue doing business there.  I mean, the UN started the divestment campaign back in the early 1960s….but hey, so what.  

I agree that this is a subject of concern.  And having a rational discussion about those concerns is something I support wholeheartedly.  I guarantee that my discussions about chili in the same thread were NOT derisive in nature.  

FWIW, I support the OP starting this thread.   I had no issues with the previous thread.  I do not support a panic mentality nor do I support a blase mentality.  I do support the use of humor when it is not cutting and rude.  I do not believe the vast majority of the people who were posting about chili on this thread intended their posts to be cutting and rude.  I am sorry if some are reading it that way.  I communicate on a regular basis with many of the "chili posters" on this thread.  They are lovely people who care and are very supportive of their fellow HIVE members.  I do not believe their intent was malicious in any way.  And mine certainly wasn't.

TBH, I have been rather impressed with the ability of the HIVE to carry on a conversation involving Ebola and chili for such an extended period of time and still provide interesting information for both.  That takes some talent.

Best wishes to all...:)

Really?

That sarcastic (and apropos!!) comment is disgusting but the implication that this ill man willfully has infected all of Dallas by tossing his cookies in a boxwood as an act of public aggression is ok.

Gotcha.

I didn't assume she suggested he willfully did it. If she was implying that then thats disgusting just as much as your comment. I saw it as good evidence that of course he exposed more than yesterdays guess of 18 people because he threw up in public where many people and animals can come into contact with it.

It is tied to funding.  For every butt in a seat at homeroom (or when attendance is taken), the school gets money, at least in TX.

Yep, funding tied to attendance is a big problem when it comes to school policies regarding illness and excused absences. 

It's not just Texas. 

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2011/jun/27/chronically-absent-students-cost-county-schools-mi/

Quotes:

"On average, a student with perfect attendance is worth about $5,230 to a school district in San Diego County. Every day missed reduces that amount by about $29. It may not sound like much, but the multiplier effect can be financially staggering for some schools.

A total of 12 schools in the county cost their districts more than $1 million last year in missed revenue. This was the case for five schools in Grossmont Union High District, and for the single school in Fallbrook Union High School District.

“Certainly when the state of California changed its financing of public education from enrollment to average daily attendance, it had an adverse impact on school districts, including ours,†said Fallbrook Superintendent Dale Mitchell. “That presents a problem for us.â€

Schools used to be paid for excused absences, which included sick days if students had a parent or doctor’s note. But the law changed because the existing formula “encourages schools to accept excuses and discourages them from investigating possibly fraudulent excuses,†according to an Assembly Committee on Education hearing in 1998, when the law was passed."

We had to do that here in 2003 over strep. It was TERRIBLE. Some kids got the flesh eating kind! At one point, the elementary school had more than 30% of the student body out with strep. Every time they would close the school for a week hoping it would stop the spread, they would re-open and quickly students started getting it again. Finally, some moms decided they were going to handle the cleaning. Alcohol swabs on the computer keyboards, Lysol on the door knobs, etc. The custodians had been left to it and apparently were just doing "the usual" which did not include a lot of common sense "all of the kids touch this stuff" items. Those gals alcohol swabbed textbooks, bleached walls, through away chalk, took the ball pit outside and made up bleach water and hosed it and it's occupants down thoroughly then allowed to dry in the sunshine, counting bears in kindergarten and other math manipulatives were disinfected if plastic, if not, put into laundry bags and put in the dryer on high for an hour if they could withstand it, you name it. They CLEANED with a capitol C. That stopped it. When the school re-opened, there was not one more case.

The thing that scared me was the teacher that went to Mexico on spring break, came back with TB and didn't know, and taught for weeks with her cough. Four students ended up with TB. Ugh....

If they are going to shut a school down to disinfect. GOOD! But they need to follow a CDC protocol and not just assume that the custodial routine is good enough, and they'll need to hire a nurse or someone to coordinate it to make sure it is done right! Unless of course the CDC decides to do it themselves.

Oh yes, absolutely.  They would have to follow CDC standards.

Sad what happened in your community, but happy that the parents took control and remedied the situation. 

If you weren't twisting every single thing I say into something negative, there wouldn't be a problem.

I was absolutely not blaming the man for throwing up AT ALL.

Maybe you should consider that you are assuming everything I'm saying is somehow an insult, when it wasn't meant to be. You and several others are like big bullies on this forum that gang up on certain people for either misspeaking, or saying nothing wrong at all (but you twisted it into something wrong). Get over yourself.

Umm, no one has twisted your words. People have repeatedly quoted you to show you what you yourself stated. It is in black and white. Instead of owning your own words you blame others. This is the second thread on this topic and it is the same old song and dance.

If you misspoke fine, own it, clarify and make sure in the future you write in such a way so that you are understood.

Claiming malicious intent of others or insulting the intelligence of those who are speaking clearly and showing you the flaws in your own post is not going to lead to a productive discussion and it is not going to give your arguments any weight.

Like he did it on purpose?????  

Darned africans coming to the US with ebola and vomiting.  I bet he is muslim too. #sarcasm

Look, this is why there is a certain amt of derision.  This poster already participated in another thread which had to be locked.  The comments are somewhat outrageous.  "This is ridiculous"  ????  A first world country with epidemiologists who are trained to mitigate disasters can handle this.

This poster is neither an epidemiologist, an infectious disease dr, nor a specialist in ebola.  She is ridiculing the way the nation is handling something bc SHE feels its a crisis.  Making REPEATED baseless assertions about how the only way to handle this is banning travel to Africa and denigrating the guy who is ill with ebola as if he puked in the shrubbery as an act of terrorism is laughable.

Not sure where you got that. I took her comment on the vomiting to be more of meaning that who knows how many people were exposed because of his vomiting. Was it cleaned up immediately? Was it cleaned up with Clorox or just washed away with water? No, we don't usually eat off the sidewalk, but say a little kid happened to drop something right about there and picked it up and put it in his mouth. The thought that he could be exposing Americans to this disease on purpose or coming here with the intent to put himself in a better position to survive knowing he was expose is not outside the realm of possibility. America is disliked in many areas of the world and by many people and groups. A few people with Aids, you know way back when, purposely transmitted the disease. Yes, knowingly. And coming here purposely to get better treatment, well, who can really blame the guy if he was trying to survive?

Yep, funding tied to attendance is a big problem when it comes to school policies regarding illness and excused absences. 

It's not just Texas. 

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2011/jun/27/chronically-absent-students-cost-county-schools-mi/

Quotes:

"On average, a student with perfect attendance is worth about $5,230 to a school district in San Diego County. Every day missed reduces that amount by about $29. It may not sound like much, but the multiplier effect can be financially staggering for some schools.

A total of 12 schools in the county cost their districts more than $1 million last year in missed revenue. This was the case for five schools in Grossmont Union High District, and for the single school in Fallbrook Union High School District.

“Certainly when the state of California changed its financing of public education from enrollment to average daily attendance, it had an adverse impact on school districts, including ours,†said Fallbrook Superintendent Dale Mitchell. “That presents a problem for us.â€

Schools used to be paid for excused absences, which included sick days if students had a parent or doctor’s note. But the law changed because the existing formula “encourages schools to accept excuses and discourages them from investigating possibly fraudulent excuses,†according to an Assembly Committee on Education hearing in 1998, when the law was passed."

Just absolutely not a good idea...goodness.  Please send your horribly ill child to school so we don't lose revenue.  It is irrelevant that your child may get far sicker from not getting proper care and rest and it certainly doesn't matter that they will probably spread whatever it is they have to other kids so they can get sick and have to come to school, too.  

I find myself wondering whether the guy did not tell the hospital (the first time he went) that he had been exposed to Ebola, and why not.  All I read yesterday was that he mentioned that he had come from Liberia.  How could he not have been concerned that he had Ebola?

Separately, I wonder when his plane trip was planned, before or after his Ebola exposure.  (In that position, I would want to come to the US too  :tongue_smilie:)

I didn't assume she suggested he willfully did it. If she was implying that then thats disgusting just as much as your comment. I saw it as good evidence that of course he exposed more than yesterdays guess of 18 people because he threw up in public where many people and animals can come into contact with it.

Thank you.  That is exactly what I meant.  I was also assuming it wasn't properly cleaned up (at least not right away).

I just want to point out that this thread has been hostile to vegans and vegetarians.

I want to read about deadly rare viruses and you guys keep interjecting meat, meat, meat & making terrible comments about beans.

My feelingz haz ouchy.

;) :D :)   - just so we're clear.

I just want to point out that this thread has been hostile to vegans and vegetarians.

I want to read about deadly rare viruses and you guys keep interjecting meat, meat, meat & making terrible comments about beans.

My feelingz haz ouchy.

;) :D :) - just so we're clear.

I make a kickin' vegan chili.

Except, out of respect to our Texan boardies, we will call it awesome southwestern veggie soup!

This is absolutely ridiculous... and preventable.  It is not unreasonable to put a travel ban in place.  I knew it wasn't just 18 people he had contact with.  Also, he vomited outside the apartment complex where he was staying.  Nice.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dallas-ebola-patient-vomited-outside-apartment-on-way-to-hospital/ar-BB6Eoek

How would a travel ban work? People aren't allowed to travel to and from Africa? To and from countries that travel to Africa? To and from their own cities? Should the world, or just the United States perhaps, enact a self-imposed lockdown like they did in China when a man died from the bubonic plague?

The sarcasm about vomiting outside being "nice" is more telling of your own opinion than any facts presented here. I wonder, when the sudden and unexpected urge to vomit presents itself to a man on the street, what is he supposed to do? Will himself to not let his body respond involuntarily? Swallow it? Vomit in his hands and then carefully carry it home where he can dispose of the mess properly? I think it implies your opinion that we here in the United States shouldn't have to be burdened with such an unpleasant, inconvenient situation. Let "them" take care of it "over there." To this end, anyone who comes into a hospital ought to be treated with the highest level of suspicion lest they inconvenience the rest of "us" with "their" disgusting virus. 

First World Problems just got real, eh? 

Just absolutely not a good idea...goodness. Please send your horribly ill child to school so we don't lose revenue. It is irrelevant that your child may get far sicker from not getting proper care and rest and it certainly doesn't matter that they will probably spread whatever it is they have to other kids so they can get sick and have to come to school, too.

This is so true. I'm dealing with this now with my ds and dd. My son goes to public hs. He has missed 3 days this year and it has already affected his grades. Some of his teachers have made it so difficult to make work up. It makes me wish he was still homeschooled.

My dd is a sophomore in college. She has the flu and is very sick. She has missed 3 days this week. Two of her teachers won't let her make up work (a lab for one class and participation points and a quiz they take every class). She is also missing lectures for her math class and has an exam on Tuesday. She is far behind due to missing lectures but has no way to go over the missed material. Up until now she has a 4.0 but this will seriously jeopardize her grades.

Absolutely disgusting. She twists everything I say into something hateful and negative. Now I hate Africans and Muslim people. She doesn't realize I am half black (African American)!! I have several Muslim friends.

I seriously have anxiety posting on here because once I post, I'm going to be attacked for my opinions and my words are going to be twisted to things that never even crossed my mind. I'm honestly disgusted with several people on here and I cannot believe this is even going on. How hateful and mean.

You are not being attacked. What is happening is you are posting in such a way that your meaning is unclear and your words are those that would be used to promote undue fear and panic among those who are uneducated.

Your audience is educated and not one to panic, as a result the flaws in your arguments are being exposed for what they are.

This is not a personal attack.

Umm, no one has twisted your words. People have repeatedly quoted you to show you what you yourself stated. It is in black and white. Instead of owning your own words you blame others. This is the second thread on this topic and it is the same old song and dance.

If you misspoke fine, own it, clarify and make sure in the future you write in such a way so that you are understood.

Claiming malicious intent of others or insulting the intelligence of those who are speaking clearly and showing you the flaws in your own post is not going to lead to a productive discussion and it is not going to give your arguments any weight.

This. When a number of people call me out on something I said, instead of blaming them I start to look at what I said and/or how I said it. I don't like doing that. Few people do like to think they were wrong. But I know that the answer is rarely "I'm right and everyone who tells me I'm not is twisting my words, being hateful and negative, and attacking me for having an opinion." 

Sometimes I just have to own up to it and admit I was wrong. Everyone has to do that at times. This seems to be one of those times for you. One thread you were involved in on this same subject was shut down. You are doing the same thing here. It's time to look at how you might reword your responses and stop blaming others.

This is so true. I'm dealing with this now with my ds and dd. My son goes to public hs. He has missed 3 days this year and it has already affected his grades. Some of his teachers have made it so difficult to make work up. It makes me wish he was still homeschooled.

My dd is a sophomore in college. She has the flu and is very sick. She has missed 3 days this week. Two of her teachers won't let her make up work (a lab for one class and participation points and a quiz they take every class). She is also missing lectures for her math class and has an exam on Tuesday. She is far behind due to missing lectures but has no way to go over the missed material. Up until now she has a 4.0 but this will seriously jeopardize her grades.

I read your thread about your daughter and it made me so mad.   She has two different kinds of flu.  She needs to be HOME.  She does not need to be in class.  And she should be allowed to make up the work in some way.  And your son, too.  I am so sorry your family is having to deal with this.

You are 100% incorrect.  I misspoke when I said travel bans for Africa instead of the countries affected.  I was accused of not knowing basic geography.  I repeatedly clarified what I meant, but that was ignored.

The last incident (where I was accused of being angry at the man for vomiting outside the apartment complex because he did it on purpose and is probably a Muslim) was 100% twisting of my words.  There is no denying that.  I will NOT own that as those horrid thoughts never even crossed my mind.  

I haven't even engaged with you until this post. I suggested nicely you step away earlier. Your posts are increasingly histrionic. Since you won't take my advice I will assume you want to engage. But I'm not going to continue at this point because it's very clear you can't discuss this rationally.

Obviously, then, I was talking about past experiences combined with this one.  

I'm nicely suggesting you step away because of your irrational twisting of words.  Seems others did not get what you did out of my post, so the problem then lies with you.

How would a travel ban work? People aren't allowed to travel to and from Africa? To and from countries that travel to Africa? To and from their own cities? Should the world, or just the United States perhaps, enact a self-imposed lockdown like they did in China when a man died from the bubonic plague?

The sarcasm about vomiting outside being "nice" is more telling of your own opinion than any facts presented here. I wonder, when the sudden and unexpected urge to vomit presents itself to a man on the street, what is he supposed to do? Will himself to not let his body respond involuntarily? Swallow it? Vomit in his hands and then carefully carry it home where he can dispose of the mess properly? I think it implies your opinion that we here in the United States shouldn't have to be burdened with such an unpleasant, inconvenient situation. Let "them" take care of it "over there." To this end, anyone who comes into a hospital ought to be treated with the highest level of suspicion lest they inconvenience the rest of "us" with "their" disgusting virus. 

First World Problems just got real, eh? 

You are doing an awful lot of assuming, so I'll just let your post go.

You are not being attacked. What is happening is you are posting in such a way that your meaning is unclear and your words are those that would be used to promote undue fear and panic among those who are uneducated.

Your audience is educated and not one to panic, as a result the flaws in your arguments are being exposed for what they are.

This is not a personal attack.

Actually, it is personal.  Once I clarified, the issue I'm speaking of continued, so it wasn't just that I was unclear.  I made myself clear.  

Agree to disagree.  Or do you just want to argue?  I'm entitled to my opinion.  You may disagree and say as much.  Doesn't mean I am incorrect.  Also, once you disagree and we continue to disagree, why continue?  There is no point.

You are 100% incorrect. I misspoke when I said travel bans for Africa instead of the countries affected. I was accused of not knowing basic geography. I repeatedly clarified what I meant, but that was ignored.

The last incident (where I was accused of being angry at the man for vomiting outside the apartment complex because he did it on purpose and is probably a Muslim) was 100% twisting of my words. There is no denying that. I will NOT own that as those horrid thoughts never even crossed my mind.

Ok, I, and a dozen plus other boardies are all wrong and lack basic comprehension skills.

This. When a number of people call me out on something I said, instead of blaming them I start to look at what I said and/or how I said it. I don't like doing that. Few people do like to think they were wrong. But I know that the answer is rarely "I'm right and everyone who tells me I'm not is twisting my words, being hateful and negative, and attacking me for having an opinion." 

Sometimes I just have to own up to it and admit I was wrong. Everyone has to do that at times. This seems to be one of those times for you. One thread you were involved in on this same subject was shut down. You are doing the same thing here. It's time to look at how you might reword your responses and stop blaming others.

My words actually were just twisted.  

As far as earlier, I didn't just insist I was correct... clarified, but apparently that isn't good enough.  

Ok, I, and a dozen plus other boardies are all wrong and lack basic comprehension skills.

Whoever thought I was blaming the man for vomiting and for possibly being Muslim are 100% incorrect and lack reading comprehension skills, yes.  Or, they just like to create issues and argue.

Current Texan, but not by birth. I've only lived here for 9 years, but two of my children were born here.

I'm Arkansan by birth and there is no love lost between my home state and Texas either. Dh is from Oklahoma so sometimes it feels like we are both living in enemy territory.

I will say a few things about Texas from an outsiders perspective:

1) I've never met people who are more proud to be from a state before. It's kind of creepy and fascinating all at the same time. Do they have a class in school to teach the Texas patriotism or do they give you some kind of shot when you are born here labeled "Texas Pride"?

7th grade.

You are doing an awful lot of assuming, so I'll just let your post go.

I don't mind if you address it. My opinion is based on assuming I interpret your posts correctly. Perhaps it would help to be more specific. How would you like to see a travel ban imposed? What do you think is the appropriate response to a sudden and involuntary need to vomit? How do you propose we deal with contagious disease in general, and if this is different, in what way?