Menu

Books that you can't put down

Amira

Books I have read in the past few years that I could not put down........

The Spellman Files (Lisa Lutz) - the whole series is fabulous

The Nevada Barr series

Anne Perry's William Monk series

Feed (Mira Grant)

The Hero's Guide To Saving Your Kingdom (Christopher Healy)

Not everyone's taste, but I recently read Stephen King's Doctor Sleep. It's the sequel to The Shining.

The main reason it was so interesting to me was that the character is a recovering alcoholic, and there's a lot of 12 Step stuff interwoven in the story. I hadn't known that SK is a recovering alcoholic, and was an active one when he wrote The Shining.

Not everyone's taste, but I recently read Stephen King's Doctor Sleep. It's the sequel to The Shining.

The main reason it was so interesting to me was that the character is a recovering alcoholic, and there's a lot of 12 Step stuff interwoven in the story. I hadn't known that SK is a recovering alcoholic, and was an active one when he wrote The Shining.

Speaking of Stephen King...many years ago I read The Green Mile.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and couldn't put it down.  I believe it was written as a serial novel, so the chapter ending were written as cliff-hangers intended to keep us reading.

Books I have read in the past few years that I could not put down........

The Spellman Files (Lisa Lutz) - the whole series is fabulous

The Nevada Barr series

Anne Perry's William Monk series

Feed (Mira Grant)

The Hero's Guide To Saving Your Kingdom (Christopher Healy)

I'd like to add to Anne Perry's "William Monk" series the "Thomas and Charlotte Pitt" series.

I also have a great time reading and rereading the Amelia Peabody series. The one with everything, suspense, clever humor, romance and a good ending is "He shall thunder in the sky." But if you have not read the other ones, you need to start at the beginning.

It's been a long time since I've read any King, but I really thought that nobody made it out of the end of The Shining. So I'm wondering how there's a sequel?

The last thing that really sucked me in was The Goldfinch.

The book that I think of as having epically sucked me in was A Suitable Boy, which I started on a plane ride back from Asia and was so into that I had to keep reading for like three days even though I was epically jetlagged.

I read a lot of YA and I find it's often light, finish fast and quick, which is one of the nice things about it...  In the last couple of years, Code Name Verity sucked me in. And also Fangirl.  And The Fault in Our Stars, though there's no one who hasn't read that yet.

I saw several of you liked Unbroken and got curious enough to look it up on Amazon.

I had never before heard of this guy or his story, but it sounds really interesting.

Would it be something teenage boys might enjoy? They're from 19 to 12 years old.

The boys are strong readers, competitive athletes history buffs, and from military families.

It sounds right up their alleys, but the more negative reviews said the book got wordy and long-winded.

My question is more about the writing style. I know they'll love the background and story.

Thank you for the recommendation - I always get great ideas from these kinds of threads!

Seconding The Golem and the Jinni.

Also The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin, The Foundling's Tale series, Steelheart, and - no laughing - The Rise of Renegade X, which is even more embarrassing when you consider the fact that I stayed up past 2 reading it despite having read it easily half a dozen times before. That book contrives to be a lot better than you expect! (Seriously, no comments on that last one unless they're positive. This is confessional time, right? No judgment?)

Giving up the Ghost, by Hilary Mantel.  It's her autobiography.  It's a beautiful picture of a (not entirely beautiful) childhood, followed by a completely horrifying description of the mismanagement of her medical condition (because she was a silly woman and must be imagining her symptoms, or must be mentally ill) leading to over a decade of extreme pain.  During which she became an author.  Extraordinary.

L

I saw several of you liked Unbroken and got curious enough to look it up on Amazon.

I had never before heard of this guy or his story, but it sounds really interesting.

Would it be something teenage boys might enjoy? They're from 19 to 12 years old.

The boys are strong readers, competitive athletes history buffs, and from military families.

It sounds right up their alleys, but the more negative reviews said the book got wordy and long-winded.

My question is more about the writing style. I know they'll love the background and story.

Thank you for the recommendation - I always get great ideas from these kinds of threads!

I didn't notice anything wrong with the writing style, I was too in to the story for that. Perhaps those readers just aren't as much into biography/history/military in general.

The boys are strong readers, competitive athletes history buffs, and from military families.

Yes! Your boys would love it. The main character just died recently, this summer I believe. It covers a lot of the classic POW story that other books do not, such as the post-release ramifications on his mental health. Really worth it for that alone.

It's been a long time since I've read any King, but I really thought that nobody made it out of the end of The Shining. So I'm wondering how there's a sequel?

Spoiler Alert for The Shining

Danny and his mom both survive. Dr. Sleep is about a grown up Danny. I really, really loved it. Some of my friends wonder how I can read King--I think I kinda gloss over the horrific parts and just glean the redemptive parts.

I thought it was well written. It's just looooong.

Also thought of another one I liked recently: These Broken Stars. It's a YA sci-fi romance survival story. What's not to love? :D

My sons enjoyed this book immensely. They were 15 or 16 yo and older when they read it. It might be too much for a 12 yo. I'd say it's more appropriate for the mid to late teens. You could pre-read since so much depends on the individual child, and you know your own child. I'm another who couldn't put it down.

eta: This is interesting -- a young adult version. I'd not seen this before. (eta again: I guess I hadn't seen it because it's not out yet.)

http://www.amazon.com/Unbroken-Young-Adult-Adaptation-Olympians-ebook/dp/B00JNQIYGY/ref=sr_1_16?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1409836436&sr=1-16&keywords=unbroken

I recently read the autobiography I Wish I Could Say I Was Sorry, and honestly could not put it down.  It is about the British author's growing up years in Kenya, and all the craziness she endured.

http://www.amazon.com/Wish-Could-Say-Was-Sorry/dp/1484955951/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1409840758&sr=1-1&keywords=wish+i+could+say+i+was+sorry

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant- I just read this book recently, and DEVOURED it. It tells the story of Jacob's daughter Dinah, but it is really a fascinating look at women in ancient history and how powerful we really are. 

Doctor Sleep by Stephen King- I second the recommendation for this. I don't classify the sequel as a horror novel, it seems so much more deeper than that. Scary things happen, but it's really more about the ghosts of our past and how we battle them. 

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult- I will admit that Jodi Picoult is my favorite author. I don't know why. She just is. I've read every single one of her books, but this story of a Nazi war criminal living in our midst and how they want to make amends was very powerful to me. 

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley- What can I say? I just love this book. I've read it so many times I've lost count. The story draws me in from the first page, and also stemmed my love affair with the movie "Merlin." 

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers- I don't read much Christian fiction, and I haven't liked any other books of Francine Rivers, but I love this book. Maybe it's because I can relate to how the main character feels about herself, and what it's like to have that mindset, that lot in life. I couldn't put it down.

New York by Edward Rutherford- Another book I couldn't put down. This book tells the story of New York from the 1600's when the fur trade was alive and well all the way to modern times. It starts and ends with a Native American belt, and it's amazing how the author weaves and connects the story together. 

None of these books are short, so it probably would take more than a day to read them. But they are all books that have a permanent spot on my shelf (I do try to pare down books at times, by bringing some to the half price bookstore or donating them) and that I actually have read over and over.

Reading Daniel Silva's The Heist right now and I have been waiting impatiently through this school day til the kids are in bed and I can read. Page-turner for sure.

Seconding Code Name Verity. Found myself dwelling on it for quite some time afterwards. The next book is good too. Can't remember the name of it right now.

I'm in the midst of a historical fiction phase at the moment, I just listened to an audiobook called A Mad, Wicked Folly about a young woman in Edwardian England who gets involved with the suffragists. It's marketed as a YA novel, I think. I got so into it that I resented having to sleep or work, because I really just wanted to keep listening. After finishing it on my drive home today, I went immediately to my computer to look up more books by the author, only to discover that this is her first novel. 

Anyway, I enjoyed it a lot.

My favorite book of last year was Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore.