Menu

Pick Your Cause

Seasider

With all the buzz about the ALS ice bucket challenge, and several on the other thread speaking up about how ALS has affected their own lives in direct or indirect ways, I wonder what other worthy causes may be near to the hearts of my fellow boardies.

If you were to pick an organization to benefit from something like an ice bucket challenge, what would it be? Add the reason, if you feel comfortable. I'll start:

Lyme Disease research, efficient early detection, prevention & cure.

Because it scares me.

My dear father had both Parkinson's Disease and Marfan Syndrome, and my dh has been diagnosed with probable Alzheimer's Disease. Two of our three sons have already declared they won't be having any biological children of their own, because they don't want their kids to deal with any of these. Youngest ds definitely has a connective tissue disorder -- we need more tests to determine whether it is indeed Marfan. 

Mine would be organ donation, specifically kidney donation.  In 2001 we found out out of the blue that my husband's kidneys were failing.  He was diagnosed with IgA nephropathy.  After five months on dialysis he had a kidney transplant with the kidney donated by one of his brothers.  Over 100,000 people are on the waiting list for kidney transplants and 14 people die every day while waiting for kidney transplants.    

Animal rescue. I worked for a vet for five years, I think I have animal care PTSD (only partially kidding) because I hate seeing animals poorly treated, but I almost have a panic attack when thinking about doing any outreach myself. I went with a friend to the shelter I listed, I had a tremendously hard time being there despite the great atmosphere

I would like to see more free spay/neuter programs, more outreach to help individuals overwhelmed by feral animals, kind of like an animals anonymous where you could call and get help for rehoming or care without cost or judgment. 

Locally, there is a shelter called Wayside Waifs a no-kill shelter that runs off private donations. I'd choose them. 

It's hard to choose......

I guess cancer research---we have a friend currently dying from liver cancer, plus relatives on both sides of the family fight different types of cancer.

Diabetes research---seeing what my close friend and her son go through daily with Type 1 diabetes.

Shelters/job training/child care assistance for domestic abuse victims---no personal reason, just an issue that bothers me.

Empowering parents and preventing child abuse.

I used to volunteer with a local organization that helped (mostly younger) mothers in need - through their pregnancy, birth, and parenthood - for as long as they decide to stay with the program.  

Lyme Disease prevention, detection and cure.  Most immediately needed are tests for lyme and co-infections that are reliable.  Covered by insurance would be nice too.  With 300,000 cases annually in the US alone, you would think it would be a priority.  Instead, we have the FDA closing in on specialty labs we rely on because standard dignostics are so bad.  (Dearborne conference) and already LabCorp won't allow a western blot without a positive ELISA which are, at best 40-50% accurate.  And we have the CDC/ISDA party line saying chronic lyme doesn't exist in the face of plenty of evidence based information showing that it does.

It is insane.  Doctors will prescribe years of antibiotics for acne, but for lyme?  Nope, too dangerous.  It's crap.

This is my dh's cause.  He's all set up to donate sometime within the next year!  He's just waiting for the call now...  It's exciting.

Mine would be organ donation, specifically kidney donation.  In 2001 we found out out of the blue that my husband's kidneys were failing.  He was diagnosed with IgA nephropathy.  After five months on dialysis he had a kidney transplant with the kidney donated by one of his brothers.  Over 100,000 people are on the waiting list for kidney transplants and 14 people die every day while waiting for kidney transplants.    

1) Access to clean, affordable water.

Usually we think of this as an Africa or Southeast Asia cause, but tens of thousands of people in the Southeast U.S. experienced poison coming out of their taps within the last year or so.  In locations of fracking, nasty chemicals end up in the water.  In the West, water is limited due to drought and mismanagement.  Agriculture suffers.

"Whiskey's for drinking. Water's for fighting over."  We need to protect the quality of the water we have, and we need to manage the water well.

2) Get money out of politics.  "The PAC to end all PACs" (the Mayday PAC) is fighting change how elections are funded.

Conservative Buddy Roemer says, "Traditionally, Liberals want to limit donations.  Conservatives want sunshine.  Currently, we have neither."

Food allergy research and awareness.  My DS was diagnosed with a severe allergy to peanuts when he was very little.  Food allergies are on the rise in children and no one knows for sure the cause, although there are a lot of theories.  There are some promising treatments being tested, but not available to the general population.  I would love to see a cure for food allergies or at least a treatment that builds tolerance so that there is less risk of death from accidental exposure.  I would also like to see more awareness to promote sympathy from others when accommodations are needed for schools, plane flights, etc.

My youngest was diagnosed with a brain tumor at 18 months. My picks are:

• A Kids' Brain Tumor Cure (the PLGA Foundation),which funds research, but it is ridiculously underfunded.
  • Real Food For Real People, which advocates for a blended diet for tube-fed people. My son would have died without Real Food For Real People. If anyone has a tube-fed person in their lives that aren't responding well to commercial formula, a blended diet might help. A blended diet is just normal table food blended to a consistency where it can be fed to a person via a g-tube or ng-tube. 

I have a few near and dear.

1. Lyme disease and tick borne infections. Dh is on iv antibiotics, oral antibiotics, and supplements as we try to beat this into submission.

2. Cancer-pancreatic, kidney, and skin have been part of my life.

3. Animal cruelty-stronger penalties for people who abuse animals and/or promote dog fighting, cock fighting, etc.

Climate change.

Approx. 40% of the world's people live in coastal areas. When that land starts disappearing, we will experience "environmental refugees" and that will lead to all kinds of civil unrest, military intervention, etc. For example, where are 50 million coastal Bangladeshis going to go? And who wants to share land and resources with them?

Even spending the money to build seawalls would help, although some places are too marshy and would have to be given up.

Then there's the actual climate, destabilizing of temperatures, and loss of entire species.

The Ponseti non surgical method for the correction of clubfoot, a birth defect which affects my youngest child.  There are children in third world countries who never have their clubfoot corrected and are never able to walk.  This breaks my heart because non surgical clubfoot correction is fairly simple and inexpensive.  There are also children in the US and other first world countries who are having surgery to correct the condition.  Long-term outcomes of surgical correction are not good.  People deal with pain and arthritis and are sometimes disabled. 

I am also a big proponent of breastfeeding (and extended nursing, which I practiced) and grace-based parenting.

Are there Lyme organizations and what do they do specifically?

There are lyme organizations. Some are support groups and some are activists. The activists are trying to get the cdc to acknowledge chronic Lyme and coinfections and approve treatment with long term iv antibiotics. The 6 weeks of doxy only works if you see the bullseye rash and start treatment immediately. In my husband's case he was infected for 30 years before anyone diagnosed him. The activist also work on getting doctors to treat symptoms because the testing is often not accurate. Finding a Lyme literate doctor is difficult. Most mainstream doctors follow the cdc guidelines and if you don't meet them then you don't have lyme. They don't know what you have and they can't help you but you do not have lyme. The activist groups also try to help doctors with court costs because the ones who treat with long term antibiotics are often accused of being quacks and threatened with lawsuits that will strip them of their medical license if they continue treating patients.

It has been a very eye opening experience.

Mine top two would be. 

Pediatric Brain Tumors (we have a family friend who has had a non-malignant brain tumor since he was two years old and has been fighting seizures and motor problems ever since.

Resources for adults and teens with mental illness.  This is another area that touches very close to home and I am becoming aware how scarce services can be.   

There are lyme organizations. Some are support groups and some are activists. The activists are trying to get the cdc to acknowledge chronic Lyme and coinfections and approve treatment with long term iv antibiotics. The 6 weeks of doxy only works if you see the bullseye rash and start treatment immediately. In my husband's case he was infected for 30 years before anyone diagnosed him. The activist also work on getting doctors to treat symptoms because the testing is often not accurate. Finding a Lyme literate doctor is difficult. Most mainstream doctors follow the cdc guidelines and if you don't meet them then you don't have lyme. They don't know what you have and they can't help you but you do not have lyme. The activist groups also try to help doctors with court costs because the ones who treat with long term antibiotics are often accused of being quacks and threatened with lawsuits that will strip them of their medical license if they continue treating patients.

It has been a very eye opening experience.

That's good to know.  I know a lot of people afflicted with Lyme so I totally agree.  I have heard a lot of frustration about the lack of good medical care and knowledge, just not so much about advocacy organizations.

Combating hunger at the local level. I volunteer with an organization that delivers groceries to the homes of persons in need.  The groceries come from the local Food Bank or are funded by donations for those things that the food bank doesn't have.  This is a service for folks who are shut in or who have no transportation to the food bank.

I truly believe that these small programs are the key to defeating hunger in our country.

Human trafficking and exploitation.  I've done little things here and there with organizations dealing with these things, and with women in general in other countries.  I'll be honest and say some of them are a little more pro-life, because while I believe in a woman's right to choose, I also believe it should be a decision that is hers and not her parents'.  Or her father's, in some patriarchal societies.  

I'm an Advocate with Compassion International. (Christian child-sponsorship organization)

Cystic Fibrosis (brother has it) and organ donation (he benefitted 14 years ago from a double-lung transplant).

Also substance abuse stuff--we don't donate, but kids in JDC and group homes are near to my heart.

Lastly, Palestinian women who are trying to survive by starting their own businesses ("Women of Hebron" is one org that helps and microloans, too.)

Because they affect our family personally--

Type 1 diabetes research, though I would not likely ever donate to JDRF. They admit they are not looking for a cure, but are focusing their research on an artificial pancreas, which is fine. That type of technology definitely improves the quality of life for people living with T1. But don't use the slogan "walk to cure" when you're not actually looking for one.

Shriners Hospital-- DS was born with a club foot and everything about them was amazing.

Interesting topic!

World Vision and Samaritan's Purse--addressing poverty/malnutrition/clean water/healthcare in less developed countries, and relief after disasters

Medical Missions--have friends who are training national doctors in a central African country

Bible Translation and literacy

Evangelical Environmental Network - caring for (God's) creation

Sierra Club and The Nature Conservancy

The Ponseti non surgical method for the correction of clubfoot, a birth defect which affects my youngest child.  There are children in third world countries who never have their clubfoot corrected and are never able to walk.  This breaks my heart because non surgical clubfoot correction is fairly simple and inexpensive.  There are also children in the US and other first world countries who are having surgery to correct the condition.  Long-term outcomes of surgical correction are not good.  People deal with pain and arthritis and are sometimes disabled. 

With Texasmama on this one.  To take it farther, one of my top causes is Shriner's Hospitals for Children.  They helped us tremendously when our 4 year old's clubfoot was relapsing and through Shriner's we were able to get some of the best care available for free.  A tremendous blessing to our family.  

Also, I would divert money to Dr. Matthew Dobbs in St. Louis at Washington University.  He is not only an amazing clubfoot doctor but he dedicates much time to researching the causes of clubfoot.  He has already isolated a gene that carries the clubfoot trait and he continues to dedicate his life to helping kids. 

I also work to support our local Ronald McDonald house and Haven House in St. Louis for the work they do for families of sick children. 

Our local children's hospital - because they saved my son's life. 

The American Red Cross for the purpose of obtaining and processing donated blood - because my son required ten units of RBC, two units of FFP and one unit of platelets during the holidays when supplies are always low. 

Mental health treatment - because it affects so many people I know and is woefully underfunded. 

Samaritan's Purse - for disaster relief

I have enjoyed reading each and every comment! Our lives are touched by so many things - if only there were a way to zap all the nasty ones.

So many of your mentioned causes are ones I would also support. Julie Smith, I admit I never would have thought of development of proper toileting facilities for areas they're not available. That's a great idea.

With Texasmama on this one. To take it farther, one of my top causes is Shriner's Hospitals for Children. They helped us tremendously when our 4 year old's clubfoot was relapsing and through Shriner's we were able to get some of the best care available for free. A tremendous blessing to our family.

Also, I would divert money to Dr. Matthew Dobbs in St. Louis at Washington University. He is not only an amazing clubfoot doctor but he dedicates much time to researching the causes of clubfoot. He has already isolated a gene that carries the clubfoot trait and he continues to dedicate his life to helping kids.

I also work to support our local Ronald McDonald house and Haven House in St. Louis for the work they do for families of sick children.

My family participated in Dr. Dobbs genetic research some years back. It was cool to be able to make a meaningful contribution that we were uniquely qualified for. It felt important. :)

We did the ice bucket challenge, but without water or ice.  :glare:  We were under a boil water advisory when my sister tagged me to do the challenge. (Then my nephew tagged my kids.) So we had no ice, and I didn't want to waste water. It brought to mind all those in Detroit who could not pay their water bills and those around the world without reliable access to clean drinking water, so we did a dry version and donated to the Detroit Water Project. We also encouraged others to donate to the charity of their choice. 

We also regularly donate to/ through:

The ONE Campaign

(RED)

The American Red Cross

our local food bank

Forgot one, was reminded by one of the PPs...

Blood donation. We donate to our state blood service that provides for the hospital where we had Pink.

She received countless units of blood and lots of platelets when she was on ECMO. So many. Too many to count. I had one unit after I had her, too.

We did a blood drive on her first birthday and give regularly.

Forgot one, was reminded by one of the PPs...

Blood donation. We donate to our state blood service that provides for the hospital where we had Pink.

She received countless units of blood and lots of platelets when she was on ECMO. So many. Too many to count. I had one unit after I had her, too.

We did a blood drive on her first birthday and give regularly.

Sharing the stuff of life in celebration of life - that's a beautiful way to party on one's birthday!

Healthcare for veterans. Every veteran should have access to QUALITY, affordable healthcare.

Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis research. It's a rare disease that doesn't get a lot of press. I lost my dad to this disease. I'd love to raise awareness.

I had to think for a minute. I donate sporadically to various things, often to local needs, but I don't necessarily have one set cause. Crisis pregnancy and local food banks rank pretty high on my list, and I support midwifery and non-hospital birth access for low risk women. I support various organizations who spread the Gospel too.

And then I remembered:

Stillborn, miscarriage, and neonatal death awareness, prevention, and support, and infertility awareness, research, and support. Because arms that want children shouldn't be empty, and those whose arms are empty shouldn't feel alone. If I were to put a sticker on my vehicle for anything, it would be for that, in memory of my niece, stillborn at 36 weeks, but in our hearts forever.