Menu

Anyone else NOT starting school until Sept.?

I TRIED to start my kids back up a couple of weeks ago. Realized a minor thing: I DIDN'T have all the curriculum I needed! (Nor did I have the money to purchase any). 

This week, I wondered if I should wait until September, at least with my son. However, this morning, I just found a FREE curriculum online (that's not a virtual academy) so we 

may start sooner. Regardless, there is NOTHING wrong with waiting until September!

Me!

We did start SSL but other than that we are waiting until after Labor Day. I do admit feeling a but guilty, the neighboring county started 8/6. Our county started back last week. My son is constantly being asked why he isn't at school while we are out and about, fortunately it doesn't bother him.

Our summer has been so busy that we're not starting until September 15.

Typically, we start the Monday after ps starts, so we're only pushing our start date out a week. The schools have so many holidays and furlough days and conference days that we'll make up the difference by January.

Cat

We are waiting at least another week.  We were supposed to start this week, but last week I had pulled everything out and spread it all over the school room while trying to reorganize for the year.  A friends son came over to play and found a bottle of goo-be-gone in the school room where they were not supposed to be playing.  He sprayed 1/2 a bottle all over everything.  Books, walls, carpet, everything.  The carpet cleaners are coming tomorrow.

*Note to self - when kids are playing and it is super quiet, nothing good comes out of it.

Me! I cannot justify doing real school until Sept. The kids are outside playing for 5+ hours a day, and August is my mental break time. Sept thru May is more than enough time for us with a light December schedule here.

Somehow I feel I don't want to cheat them out of summer. But they do still read almost everyday for 30-60 min, go to the library once a week, and today we painted for 2 hours. :)

We are starting the 2nd. I was planning on starting a few weeks ago but some unfortunate family situations popped up. I'm only just now starting to feel ready, sort of. :svengo: Luckily I did most of my planning in the beginning of the summer and have two or three new items to add in to our plans. I'm working on that over the next few days.

Most public schools here don't start until the day after Labor Day, so we rarely start before that. DH wasn't able to get any significant vacation time away from work this summer due to a big Sept. 1st deadline, so we are going to go ahead and take the first week of September as a family vacation/staycation time and start on the 8th.

At this point I'm not sure when we will start. We just bought a house and have to fix things up there (cosmetic stuff) before we move. All the school stuff is packed and I havent even ordered math yet.    :leaving:

School should not start until after Labor Day.  It's just WRONG. :lol:

That said, my two high school dds will be starting some of their work next week, but not a full load.  They've also had some summer work for their AP classes.  8th grade dd is holding off completely till the day after Labor Day, as it should be. ;)

The first official day of school for us is always after Labor Day. 

I read on here of having the  tradition of starting the first days of school going on field trips.

A nice combination of doing something that feels like summer and is educational.

I think that is what we are going to do this year, just to ease into the school year at our own pace.

So no you are not alone,  enjoy your summer!

Or are we the only ones? :)

Just idle curiosity....

I've only started feeling mentally ready the last week or so.

I'm only finally getting there myself! I originally planned to start with my oldest last week, but we've been battling some kind of weird respiratory illness, and I have a massive amount of planning for both school and other upcoming things (co-op class, enrichment class, birthday parties, DC trip, etc.) that there was no way last week was even close to happening. Where we live, school doesn't start until after Labor Day anyway, so there's still plenty of summer happening here, and there's really no sense in starting until we get back from DC. I just threw up my hands and figured we should make the most of the summer we have left.

We ARE starting math, though, because we're really unacceptably behind there, and I can't justify not fitting that in where we can. It won't take much out of each day. 

Public schools here start back the last week of August so we always use that week to go to the museum and pool b/c it is not crowded at all! We always start back on the Sept. 1st so my DH can be a part of school that day since he is home from work.

We are starting Sept. 1, which happens to be a day off because it is a holiday.  

I'm still planning. :glare:   I've never been a fan of planning. I need someone to write a planning program that reads my thoughts and makes instant lesson plans that are accessible and won't require a lot of ink to print.  One can dream!

Sort of - we're doing 1/2 and 1/2 here.  :laugh:

Dd started this week (she's homeschooling high school so mostly independent. I did lesson planning and got her set up to go)

Ds, who is my full, hands on, teacher intensive kiddo won't start until the first week in Sept. I'm still pulling things together for him and lesson planning. 

we aren't  starting until the first week of Sept.  I wasn't too sure if we would even be ready by then but I am feeling positive that we will make it.  I hadn't  even bought all of our curriculum but I now just have one more thing and then we will be good.  I am also starting to feel mentally ready for the beginning of school.  I wasn't  too sure that was going to happen either.

Just idle curiosity....

We always start the day after Labor Day. Due to some teacher contract thing, our local school district will start Sept. 4- first time in our homeschooling history that we'll start back BEFORE the 'yellow buses' start roaming the neighborhood. :glare:

Diamond started her second year of college classes this past Monday. :driving:

I still have to order our books. :leaving:

If I wait until I am mentally ready, it may take years to start!  After 11 years, I've got burnout I can't shake, though I'm going to try during these next couple of weeks.

I'm handling things differently this year for Dd and making it more about her interests.  Ds has 3 classes outsourced so I don't have as much to teach him.  Still we are starting out slowly b/c that's what I can handle and we aren't starting at all until the 2nd week of September b/c of some big competitions for Dd during 1st week.  

Just idle curiosity....

You're not the only ones.

I'm not mentally ready.  My kids don't want to start school.  And I still have to buy a few more books.