Menu

$4 a day per person for food?

bethben

Can I even do this?  I have figured out our new budget and this is what I can do for food.  Breakfast can be pretty cheap, but I have two teen boys and two other children with speedy metabolisms.  My 13 year old has figured out that if he wants "special" food (chips, candy - ice cream) he needs to buy it himself.  He's hungry constantly.  I need suggestions.  Meat is a side dish around here, I bake my own bread, and make my own yogurt.  We qualify for the food shelf around here, but my husband doesn't want to go there yet.  Anything else that can make this budget stretch?

Beth

So six of you at $4 per person?  A total of $24 per day?  I think it can be done.  It partially depends on where you live and the cost of food.  We eat a lot of eggs because eggs are inexpensive, versatile, and filling.  My kids eat a lot of whole grain and veggie pasta.  Many times just pats with veggies and butter.  The only person that is a big meat eater is my dh.

ETA: Do you qualify for food stamps?

It really does depend what part of the country you're in. Around here, it would be difficult to cover one meal for that amount, much less a day.

Here are some off the top of my head suggestions; you've probably thought of them already.

Discount and salvage stores: Aldi's and other places

Garden - even in the north, it's not too late to plant a few veggies (kale, lettuces, green beans, other greens, etc)

Beans - lots of them + rice

See if there is a freecycle listserve in your area. Sometimes, people offer bags of groceries

Food Pantry can help a lot. I hope your husband has a change of heart about it.

Hugs to you.

That is just a bit more than I have (and mine includes any non-food items, like cleaning,laundry, shampoo, etc) for 6 and we have food allergies and sensory issues (DD8).

You may have to change how you shop. Can you google your town (or county) and "grocery outlet" or "produce outlet " or the like. Or look for small ethnic markets in your area. Those help my budget a LOT. Or try farmer's markets (in my area those are mainly tourist spots, so no help for me. But I know someone who used to go trade products (like colgate,dial,etc) she got cheap/free after coupons for produce.)

If you live in a rural area, then see about the nearest big city and make a once a month trip. Or can you order anything you can in bulk online. I used to order flour online from amazon and it was much cheaper (organic 100% white whole wheat for less than store brand whole wheat).

Also make a list now of meals your family eats, snack options, breakfast options. Then see how you can stretch those or subsitute some less expensive options.

It may cost you more in time. Making more stuff at home then already do.

Try adding some fats for those growing boys. Yes they cost more, but they fill them up faster. DS10 is starting to show his potential appetite and I already see that an apple and cheese stick or PB means a bit more time till he comes back for more. I now insist that breakfast must include fats/proteins (eggs, cheese, PB).

Let's see... Two bags of beans, two onions, a bag of rice, a whole chicken, a bag of veg, a bunch of celery and carrots. That should be way less than $24... maybe $18? and could feed a family of 6 all day, I think...add in a dozen eggs and I think you could get 2 days... I'm thinking huge pot of chicken, bean and veg soup, then giblets veg and rice, next vegetable fried rice and last eggs and beans and whatever veg is leftover. I just don't know if I'm picture enough food. We're a family of 6 and my kids are little. So I definitely think you can do it I just may be off on stretching it further.

Cooking from scratch (ie: pancakes, waffles and other breads), lots of beans, rice, in season veggies etc yes. 

If possible I would try and fit in buying an whole hog of cow if you receive a tax return. I am very fortunate, the butcher in town is picky about his meat and if I buy a whole hog it is $2/lb. I cannot recreate the prices anywhere else. I watch portion sizes on meat and more expensive items and that helps. 

I live in a small town but my husband goes to Aldi's about twice a month to get produce,  He used to get chips and crackers there also, but we just can't do that anymore.  I buy bulk grains from a natural foods co-op, I buy a ton of groceries at Costco that are cheaper than anywhere else, and I just get incidentals at my neighborhood grocery store.   My problem is filling up one of my teen boys.  He's a little picky about what he eats.  I keep telling him that we are not in the position for him to be picky.  He just roams the house being hungry looking for food.  He wants chips, sugar and beef.  It's not going to help things with him being in a soccer program running through 3000-4000 calories a day or more.  I was given around $100 of cheese sticks that are currently in my freezer and no one wants to eat them ( I do and my oldest son).   I keep figuring if they get hungry enough they'll eat them.

As far as meals, I tend to do one pasta dish, homemade pizza, one breakfast dish (pancakes etc for dinner), a beef dish, a chicken dish, something with beans/rice, something vegetarian at least once every week.  I have told my kids that eating peanut butter and jelly every day for lunch is not  a big deal because people all over the world eat the same thing for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  They tend to complain a bit - buck up people!  We also live in a higher COL so that doesn't help the situation.  Sigh...  I'm sure I'm not the first in this situation and will not be the last.

Beth

Until recently, I would have said no problem.  The way prices have increased this summer, it would be tough but doable.

Look in your library for older cookbooks.  They often contain recipes for inexpensive meals.  The Tightwad Gazette is worth reading.  Some of the suggestions are outdated, but there is plenty that is still useful.  Also look at vegetarian cookbooks.  Look for basic recipes using foods available where you live.

Do you have a garden?  How about friends, relatives, or neighbors who would like to offload excess produce from their gardens?  Take whatever they offer, even the oversized zucchini. If it is something your family doesn’t normally eat, shred or puree it and use as a filler in well-seasoned dishes.  Process and freeze what you won’t eat immediately.

A church near me has a monthly produce give away.  Perhaps there is something like that near you.  Check out surplus and bulk food stores.  Ethnic food stores often have better prices for staples than regular grocery stores.  

Determine how much protein and dairy each family member needs as opposed to wants.  Most Americans eat far more of these than they need.  Institute portion control for more expensive foods. Eggs and beans are the least expensive protein options.  Save bones from the meat you do eat and use to make stock.  Soup can be filling and is generally inexpensive. 

Avoid waste. Have a plan for leftover consumption. 

Look for other areas where you can reduce spending.  That could free a few dollars for some give in the grocery budget.

For meat we do a lot of skinless boneless chicken breasts that I can get for under $2/lb.  Considering the time and waste with bone in chicken I feel this is worth it. (we do buy whole chickens occ.).  I use the chicken breasts for tacos, nachos, soup, grilling, etc.

To keep a child filled up thing healthy fats and protein.  In addition carrots are usually quite cheap.

Shop what is on SALE that week and work around those foods and stock up on the non perishables when they are really on sale.  One week my kids might eat bananas and grapes but then next week grapes are back to full price but blueberries are cheaper (we live in one of the top blueberry producing counties).  Corn on the cob is on special right now at walmart at 10 for a $1 so that is a good deal...so corn is on the menu.

If you qualify for food stamps that might really help out as well.

You should be able to, but let us know what resources are near you.

Do you have access and a membership to any warehouse clubs like Sam's or Costco or BJs?

What are your local grocery stores like? Do you have Aldi and Walmart and others as well?

Are there any farmer's markets in the area? Any pick your own type places? Local farmers, etc.?

Do you have a  garden or any other resources?

Baking your own bread is a great start, but sometimes it can be as cheap to buy at a bakery outlet.  

I agree with the fats, if you have access to a warehouse club, I'd budget in for a large 2-pack of peanut butter each month.  If you can make your own jam now, that can be really affordable.  (You can even check with u-pick places for non optimal fruit that would be fine for jam.)

Cheese, eggs, beans, etc.  

Soups are wonderful and filling.  Baked potato, bean, lentil, corn chowder (while corn is cheap), etc.  Chilli is a good way to stretch meat…or you can make it with ground turkey or all beans.

Look for spaghetti and pasta to be 2 for $1.00 or 2 for $2.00.  Put up your own spaghetti sauce or watch for sales.

We love lasagna, but it's cheaper for me to be a Stouffer's family size on sale (ideally with a coupon added) than make it myself.

Think hearty breakfasts.  So, budget at least for a dozen eggs each day and use them. (Here that's about $2.00.)    If you're serving baked oatmeal or pancakes or whatever, also serve eggs of some type.  

Is there anybody local that you can buy 1/4 or 1/2 a cow from? Do you have a chest freezer? What's your storage space like?

What do your teens find the most satisfying to eat?

In a recent thread a free cookbook was mentioned called "Good and Cheap."  It was developed for people receiving SNAP benefits.  I've downloaded it, but haven't tried in of the recipes yet.  As a single mom, my budget is tight.  I'm hoping to stay at the $4.00 / day per person level for the fall at least.  

The link is long, so I embedded it (or rather my 17 yo in-house tech support did.) Click here.

ETA:  spelling; I thought the book was free, but now I think the author is charging $5.00. 

I live in a small town but my husband goes to Aldi's about twice a month to get produce, He used to get chips and crackers there also, but we just can't do that anymore. I buy bulk grains from a natural foods co-op, I buy a ton of groceries at Costco that are cheaper than anywhere else, and I just get incidentals at my neighborhood grocery store. My problem is filling up one of my teen boys. He's a little picky about what he eats. I keep telling him that we are not in the position for him to be picky. He just roams the house being hungry looking for food. He wants chips, sugar and beef. It's not going to help things with him being in a soccer program running through 3000-4000 calories a day or more. I was given around $100 of cheese sticks that are currently in my freezer and no one wants to eat them ( I do and my oldest son). I keep figuring if they get hungry enough they'll eat them.

As far as meals, I tend to do one pasta dish, homemade pizza, one breakfast dish (pancakes etc for dinner), a beef dish, a chicken dish, something with beans/rice, something vegetarian at least once every week. I have told my kids that eating peanut butter and jelly every day for lunch is not a big deal because people all over the world eat the same thing for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They tend to complain a bit - buck up people! We also live in a higher COL so that doesn't help the situation. Sigh... I'm sure I'm not the first in this situation and will not be the last.

Beth

Make up some homemade dough and wrap it around the cheese and bake for stuffed cheese sticks or even make stuffed crust pizza. I feel your pain, I have two growing boys.

Yes I could (and do) do it and I've got 2 of those teenagers who are never full plus a bunch of food issues/allergies.  First they eat oats in some fashion every single morning.  It's the cheapest thing I can find (two of my 6 either can't or won't eat eggs and I refuse to make 2 breakfasts).  But we mix it up.  Oatmeal of course (but we have at least a dozen different varieties we can make), muesli, oatmeal pancakes, oatmeal muffins, granola and more oatmeal are standard here. We buy a 50 pound bag through country life natural foods for about 27.00  (see if there are some food co-ops in your area), the bag lasts us 3-4 months so my cost for the oats for breakfast is less than 50 cents for the 7 of us (I don't eat breakfast) plus a small amount for sugar/fruit/flavorings.

For meals, I plan a big supper, we eat leftovers for lunch.  We frequently have dabs and doodles lunches where everyone gets something different and we use up all the leftovers in the fridge.  Making sure nothing goes to waste is a huge way to stretch your food budget. 

As far as economical meals.  I discovered my kids are huge fans of baked potatoes, so we make those a couple of times a week.  Sometimes they are the main meal, like taco stuff potatoes, other times they are the side like with roast beef.  Normally my kids ask for seconds on meat but when we have baked potatoes they ask for seconds (and thirds) on those instead.  For hamburger based dishes, such as sloppy joes, taco meat, shepherds pie, chili  etc. I mix an equal amount of beans or lentils with the hamburger meat.  We have found that brown lentils are similiar in taste and texture to hamburger (As long as you don't overcook them) and they don't really notice (or object) to them.  We also eat a lot of stir fries/ curries over brown rice and then turn the leftovers into fried rice.

Go for in season and cheap fruit and veggies, can/freeze. dehydrate if you are able.  Right now fresh blueberries are 99 cent a pint.  The "best" price I've seen for frozen blueberries is 2.50 - 3.00 for a 12 ounce bag (equivalent to a pint of fresh).  So I buy what I need for the year and freeze them myself.  Cabbage is cheap year round and very versatile. 

We don't do treats such as chips, crackers, desserts, flavored beverages (everyone gets a cup of milk for breakfast and water for the rest of the day) because we simply can't afford those things.

Absolutely, you can do it if you are determined.

That'd be 20/day for our family of 5, which would be 140/wk. No problem, we could do that with a small effort.

For a couple years, I budgeted $100/wk for a family of 5, for ALL groceries (toiletries, etc) except for beef (buy half a cow every year or so) . . . I was big into coupon-ing and sale shopping. I saved so much from my 100/wk that in about a year, I had a huge stockpile of toiletries and nonperishable food (two gorilla racks FULL of groceries, and another half a one of cleaning supplies and toiletries), and I had $1000 cash saved up from surplus grocery budget that I bought new couches for the TV room in cash. :) That was coming off of spending more like 250/wk for years and with very expensive tastes. I still bought as much fruits and veggies and nice meats as we wanted, wine, etc. I just learned to sale shop, use coupons, stockpile cheap stuff, etc.

It can be done. I spent about 5 hrs/wk the couple months figuring it out, then just maybe 2-3 hrs/wk after that (planning, shopping, etc.)

Until recently, I would have said no problem. The way prices have increased this summer, it would be tough but doable.

Look in your library for older cookbooks. They often contain recipes for inexpensive meals. The Tightwad Gazette is worth reading. Some of the suggestions are outdated, but there is plenty that is still useful. Also look at vegetarian cookbooks. Look for basic recipes using foods available where you live.

Do you have a garden? How about friends, relatives, or neighbors who would like to offload excess produce from their gardens? Take whatever they offer, even the oversized zucchini. If it is something your family doesn’t normally eat, shred or puree it and use as a filler in well-seasoned dishes. Process and freeze what you won’t eat immediately.

A church near me has a monthly produce give away. Perhaps there is something like that near you. Check out surplus and bulk food stores. Ethnic food stores often have better prices for staples than regular grocery stores.

Determine how much protein and dairy each family member needs as opposed to wants. Most Americans eat far more of these than they need. Institute portion control for more expensive foods. Eggs and beans are the least expensive protein options. Save bones from the meat you do eat and use to make stock. Soup can be filling and is generally inexpensive.

Avoid waste. Have a plan for leftover consumption.

Look for other areas where you can reduce spending. That could free a few dollars for some give in the grocery budget.

The older recipe idea is a really good one. I was looking at a site that posted menus from past decades and often, because there was no refrigeration they ate the same meat all day or pork for dinner and breakfast the next morning.

We are able to stay within our $750/month budget with 7 people. Our boys are coming in to their big eating years, but there are also quite a few places I could trim our food budget, so I'm not that worried. I buy meat at Costco - much cheaper and better quality. We have a garden. I bake my own bread. You can get 50 lbs. of bread flour at Costco for a fraction of what it costs at the store.

Let's see... Two bags of beans, two onions, a bag of rice, a whole chicken, a bag of veg, a bunch of celery and carrots. That should be way less than $24... maybe $18? and could feed a family of 6 all day, I think...add in a dozen eggs and I think you could get 2 days...

No fruit? No green veggies? What about fats and seasonings?

Yes, $4 per person per day is doable where I live. It's tight but doable.

$2-3/day per person isn't a comfortable amount for proletariat omnivores in my area if you care about eating 5 or more servings of non-starchy veggies a day or ever seeing a fresh fruit. Under $2 a day and I start to wonder...

You have received some good advice already and seem to be on the right track ;).

I just have a couple tips in case you don't already do this.

1. We buy whole milk and water it down (I know, not for everyone! It took us awhile too!)

2. I check the dates on meat and go back the day before or 2 before sell by date and they are often marked down. Sometimes I will write down the dates at a couple stores and my husband or I will go back. I just bought a pack of chicken 50% marked down at Costco, woohoo!

3. Lots of home made bean burritos!

Good luck!

I was going to say what everybody else is saying about stretching wholesome foods with beans, potatoes, rice, more fat, etc., and shopping wisely for meats and produce, but since all that's been said, I'll be the one to say this:

If you qualify for the food shelf and you have hungry kids, go and fetch the food. Please just get in your car tomorrow and go get the food. That's what it's there for! Your qualifying for it means that others believe you need it and they want you to have it and it's not charity. It's a circle that goes 'round.

Nobody wants kids to be hungry. We all want all the children to be fed and we see it as the responsibility of everyone to see that it happens. Sometimes we are the family in need, and sometimes our kids are not hungry and we have enough to share, so we give -- it's a circle that goes 'round.

Deal with adults who don't like accepting help as a separate topic. First priority is feed the kids.

No fruit? No green veggies? What about fats and seasonings?

The fat would be rendered from the chicken when roasted. I did include celery and a bag of mixed veg. Which could include anything really. We have brocoli, carrots and cauliflower raw or a Normandy blend which includes squash. It was just a meal idea. People live without fruit, green veg, fat or seasonings. I was trying to be helpful and encouraging. I guess I don't get the questioning.

The fat would be rendered from the chicken when roasted. I did include celery and a bag of mixed veg. Which could include anything really. We have brocoli, carrots and cauliflower raw or a Normandy blend which includes squash. It was just a meal idea. People live without fruit, green veg, fat or seasonings. I was trying to be helpful and encouraging. I guess I don't get the questioning.

I find unrealistic food budgets to be the opposite of encouraging. $4/person/day is pretty snug. Doable but, in most areas, snug. I find the insistence of so many online that it is "easy" to eat for much less than that both questionable and baffling.

For me, if I can't afford fruit for my kids, I wouldn't have any trouble accepting help to get them what they need. The OP says she qualifies for the food pantry. I would encourage her to utilize the resources available to her before I would encourage her to buy no high nutrient green veggies and fruit.

I was going to say what everybody else is saying about stretching wholesome foods with beans, potatoes, rice, more fat, etc., and shopping wisely for meats and produce, but since all that's been said, I'll be the one to say this:

If you qualify for the food shelf and you have hungry kids, go and fetch the food. Please just get in your car tomorrow and go get the food. That's what it's there for! Your qualifying for it means that others believe you need it and they want you to have it and it's not charity. It's a circle that goes 'round.

Nobody wants kids to be hungry. We all want all the children to be fed and we see it as the responsibility of everyone to see that it happens. Sometimes we are the family in need, and sometimes our kids are not hungry and we have enough to share, so we give -- it's a circle that goes 'round.

Deal with adults who don't like accepting help as a separate topic. First priority is feed the kids.

Yes, this. I would tell DH that the kids are hungry so you are going to get food. There is no moral standard about the time at which things are bad enough to go get food. Food Shelf people want hungry people to have their food. You have hungry children; please go get food. 

That's slightly more than what my budget is for my family of 6. And that includes things like paper goods and cleaning supplies. It included dog food for our two large dogs until this summer. (If I had to fit dog food back in I could but I really don't want to. The extra $15 a week is nice!) I don't have teenage boys though. My little kids do eat more than any other little kids I know (and I get comments about it every time we eat with other people because they're all so tall and thin!).

I agree with a lot of the other comments. Stretch meat with beans. We had tacos last night and I used 1 pound of ground turkey (cheaper than ground beef), 1 can of black beans, and 1 can of diced tomatoes. I made my own seasoning. You could go even cheaper by buying bags of dried beans.

Don't buy snack foods that won't actually fill them up. A slice of toast with peanut butter is more filling than chips, crackers, or granola bars. The same goes for breakfast cereal. It is an expensive breakfast that doesn't fill them up. Make things like muffins and baked oatmeal for snacks and breakfast. Add eggs or smoothies for a filling protein. We use 4+ dozen eggs a week because it's a cheap protein.

Use or make whole wheat/grain baked goods instead of white. Whole grains are much more filling and better for you besides. I make whole wheat bread, pizza crust, muffins, pancakes and waffles. I buy only whole grain or brown rice, pasta, and tortillas. I need to start making the tortillas. We eat a lot of them.

With meat and poultry try to use it as an ingredient in something so that you can get by with using less. You can skimp on the meat (or supplement with beans) without anyone noticing in things like soups, stews, salads, casseroles, tacos, stir fry and kabobs.

Use whole milk. Its higher fat content is more satisfying. Set limits on how much you drink if you need to. We use milk primarily for cooking and making kefir, with just an occasional small glass with breakfast. Otherwise we drink only water; no juice, soda, etc.

I buy almost everything at Aldi. We only have one warehouse store (BJ's) and it's a half hour drive away. I have found Aldi's prices to be better most of the time. I am considering checking out the Costco that's about an hour away and maybe going once a month to stock up. Just be aware that you don't always save money by buying in bulk.

Give the kids time to adjust to the new way of eating. They may not like it at first but if they're really hungry they'll eat what you have. If they're hungry because you simply don't have any food available then accept some outside help. If it's because they're being picky then that's something they'll have to figure out.

A couple of years ago money was extremely tight for my parents. My mom had only $75 a week to feed the 8 of them, and 4 of them were teenage boys. They didn't always like the meals with very little meat and lots of beans and pasta but that's what they had. They survived. My brothers who were working sometimes contributed to groceries. This was about five years ago so groceries were a little cheaper but not that much. We have friends who have recently had to make do on less than $100 a week to feed their family of 10. It's tough for everyone but it's ok for kids (especially teenagers) to see their parents struggling and not complain about it or even pitch in. That's what families are for.

Oh, and we live in CT. There aren't many places in the US where things are more expensive.

ETA: I just want to add that feeding a family on such a small budget is NOT easy. It takes a lot of work! The planning ahead and cooking from scratch really take time and effort. It gets easier as it becomes more routine but never easy. Don't hesitate to ask your kids to help. Helping with the planning, shopping, and cooking can really be an eye-opening, educational experience! I wish I had more to work with but I don't. My goal for this year is to learn how to really stretch our budget and be able to eat great-tasting, healthy food without spending any more money. It'll take time, effort, creativity, and a bit of contentment and that's ok! :-)

Two great cookbooks

More With Less (our staple cookbook growing up)

and

Extending the Table (has a lot of international foods so look and see first if the recipes are of interest to you)

Both are put out by the Mennonites with the intention of using fewer of the world's resources and money to feed a family.

I couldn't in NZ (well not without giving up all meat, most dairy and most vegetables)but given the prices quoted I probably could in most parts of the US. Ds7 may be extremely grumpy though as he is a picky eater with gluten issues - I actually budget $4 a day for his bread and another couple of dollars for his other needs.

If you have to you can do it BUT if someone else was in your situation would you advise them to accept Fred food? And would you begrudge them getting the food?

Food pantries are for people who are hungry, not just people who are starving. One need not be completely unable to access any food at all to accept help. I don't think it is a good idea to make a hungry teenager eat $100 worth of cheese before accepting any help to provide more food. Variety is healthier and better at preventing hunger.

In a recent thread a free cookbook was mentioned called "Good and Cheap."  It was developed for people receiving SNAP benefits.  I've downloaded it, but haven't tried in of the recipes yet.  As a single mom, my budget is tight.  I'm hoping to stay at the $4.00 / day per person level for the fall at least.  

The link is long, so I embedded it (or rather my 17 yo in-house tech support did.) Click here.

ETA:  spelling; I thought the book was free, but now I think the author is charging $5.00. 

It's still free. As you read the article, click on the link to the free pdf (it's part of the article).

So, the bread I bake is 100% whole wheat - we've gotten store bread and my kids can go through a two loaves a day if I let them because it doesn't fill them up.  I'm liking the suggestion of trying to make enough leftovers from dinner to eat for lunch.  I think part of what I have to do is plan for each and every meal - breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  I also need to get my children to eat more eggs.  Today, I am going to see what whole grain things I can bake for breakfast and snacks.  I have a small upright freezer that is pretty full after my Costco runs and gradually gets empty throughout the month so I really don't have any room to hold large quantities of meat.  I may try to call around to small town butchers around here and see what their meat prices are.  

Also, due to the couponing craze that shows people how to get things for free, most stores around here and in the metro area 30 minutes from where I live, have put severe restrictions on coupons.  Most don't double much less triple.  Some only double a certain amount after you have purchased a certain amount of groceries full price.  Fruit is not cheap here either - not even apples despite the fact we have huge orchards everywhere.  I have never found apples to be even close to $1 a pound - even if I went to the apple orchard and picked them myself.  Same for every berry and fruit farm where you pick yourself.  I have raspberry bushes, a couple of apple trees that are small, and blueberry bushes that are struggling.  My garden needs some soil help that goes beyond "just put compost on it" so nothing is really doing that great in it.  

Thanks for all the advice.  Now, I need to get busy baking and see where that can take me.

Beth

It is doable, but it is a lot of work. Rice. Beans (made from dry beans). Bulk popcorn (I buy 50# popcorn and keep it in a 5 gallon bucket). Eggs. I'm making yogurt from powdered milk and culturing it with a spoonful of Fage. I have to make it daily, which takes time and coordination, but the flavor is good, the cultures should be good, and it's a yummy snack mixed in with a small spoonful of jam.  To keep up with the workload, I invested in a rice maker and a crockpot. I don't have three hours a day to cook, so I try to cook in bulk and balance the workload. I also make sure to build time into my day to make food....supper prep starts right after breakfast.

As far as keeping hungry boys full.....put some protein or fat with the carbs.

As far as keeping healthy and not gaining a ton of weight from carbs go---eat in season, and still try to keep your plate half full of veg.  If you have space to grow some salad greens, I'd start some now. 

More With Less is a good cookbook. So is it's companion, Simply in Season.

I have found that my teens will usually eat less if they're eating the food that their bodies are craving, especially when it's a main meal or a sweet. Just tossing this out there because you might find that satisfying some of your hungry teen's food wants/needs will actually save you money in the long run. I can be the same way. I might go through a lot of idle calories, when a single small piece of good, dark chocolate would have done the job.

Sometimes I find myself needing to take another look at the foods I buy, and the places I shop because things change. I grew up thinking roast beef was a more expensive cut of beef so tend to avoid it, but roasts on sale here often are considerably cheaper per pound than good quality ground beef. The last roast I bought made a dinner, sandwiches, and the leftover bits were used with potatoes for hash.

I was able to stretch my food dollars the most when I kept a price book, and stocked my shelves when prices were lowest. For example, boxes of pasta were on sale, plus there was a peel off coupon on each box so they were 32 cents each instead of over a dollar. I stocked up for the year. When real butter went on sale around the holidays for $1.25 per pound, it went into my freezer. Ditto with other staples. It did take some extra cash up front to change over to this system--would your husband be willing to use the food shelf for a month or two just to give your budget a break? 

I worked it out for here and missed by 70c (all prices converted to USD) but I could have done it by going completely vegetarian.  The chicken was what killed the calculation, so replacing it with beans would have brought me in under $4.  I priced for a chicken-that's-allowed-to-move-around, so I could have cut the cost by 30c by being less squeamish.  I did the comparison in a standard supermarket - I'm pretty sure it would have come in at under $4 at Aldi - my shopping is usually around 20% cheaper there.

Breakfast

one egg - 28c, one slice of bought whole grain bread - 7c, one glass (200ml) of milk - 16c, one peach - 16c.

Lunch

Steamed brown rice - 15c, red lentils cooked with dried herbs, olive oil, stock from the whole chicken (tonight) and an onion - 50c, a fresh tomato - 17c

Supper

One eighth of a whole large chicken (half a breast or a whole drumstick, for example) - USD1.60, 500g of potatoes (about a pound) - 63c, carrots - 11c, oil for cooking - 7c.

Snacks

Two pieces of fruit - banana at 20c and orange at 15c.  Two slices of whole grain toast with peanut butter - bread at 17c, peanut butter at 16c.

Extras - add in an extra ten cents for salt and pepper.

Total USD 4.70

So, I think if you have an Aldi (or similar) nearby, you could do it in the UK.  It would not be much fun, but it would be nutritionally possible.  Without an Aldi, it would definitely have to be a vegetarian diet.  In any case, the fruit would be more expensive in winter - you would be eating a lot of root vegetables instead.

L