Menu

Really Target? Back to School Already?

readinmom

Oldest dd is starting an IB program at our local high school this fall and already has an impressive amount of homework due the first day. We were planning some school shopping this weekend so I hope our local stores have sales already.

Hobby Lobby has Thanksgiving and Christmas things out already...

I give the craft stores grace for starting early....if you are like me it takes a long time to make stuff in time for Christmas. lol

Our stores start decorating for Christmas at the beginning of September... My DS birthday is Sept 11 and they decorate a week before.

We started school 2 weeks ago!  I love back to school sales.  The schools here did just get out last week, though, and I haven't seen any displays up yet.  I have no problem with plentiful and cheap school supplies any time they want to have them!

The schools here haven't let out for summer break yet.

Poor kids.  Can you imagine seeing the back-to-school ads start a couple of days after school lets out for the summer?

I wonder if Target back-to-school displays start at different times in different regions.  Perhaps I'll go shopping on Sunday to find out!

Huh.  Most of our area schools have been out for a few weeks, and most start back mid-August... but I was just in Target today and didn't see any displays or areas being cleared for them.  (I confess I walked by the area they usually use, "just to see" if any were out yet!!  :LOL: )

With more and more schools switching to a year-round schedule, it's becoming more common for kids to start back right after the July 4th holiday. None of the schools in my current district are on a year-round schedule but several of the ones in the district where we lived from 2006-2009 are.

With more and more schools switching to a year-round schedule, it's becoming more common for kids to start back right after the July 4th holiday. None of the schools in my current district are on a year-round schedule but several of the ones in the district where we lived from 2006-2009 are.

This must be a regional thing. When kids were let out for the summer, historically, it was so they could help with harvest. That is still the way it is here. Most teens are working on done farm over the summer. many here RELY on that help to get everything completed. even summer school breaks during harvest.

If your public schools are still in session... When do the kids typically go back in the fall? We've been out here for nearly a month and kids head back mid August. Just curious :-)

I also want to head to target. If only it wasn't so far away. Last year I missed all the sales :-(

Typically the Wednesday before Labor Day, although this year we're starting on a Tuesday.

Our kids have more breaks during the year than I remember. Their Christmas break is usually short, sometimes as short as a week, depending on how the holidays fall. They go right up until Dec 23 some years, and are back on Jan 2. However, they get a week plus two days in Feb/Mar, and a full week in April.

I like the schedule of extra breaks through the year and a shorter summer break. Less whining about being bored that way. ;-)

Some years they get out the second week of June. It all depends on the number of snow days.

Shoot, a lot of stores here have already had their summer clearance sales on clothing. I can not find a pair of summer pajamas for my older son anywhere. They are all sold out in his size. It was too cold to even wear summer pajamas until a few weeks ago! Anyone know where to find boys' summer pajamas in size 16 that are not the character type? (I don't think most 14 year olds really want to wear Mario pajamas...)

Wow, haven't read all the responses, but all I could do is think WOW! We live in upstate NY & brick & mortar classes are still in session for the 2013-14 year. (no snow day make-up or anything, regular school year is just not over yet) We haven't even begun to think about the next school year; we are still busy with final exams, year end assessments & Regent exams.

Schools here start in 6 weeks, and it's time to start filling backpacks for charity causes--so I'm glad to know it's out there :)  I help with a big backpack ministry, and we'll have all of our packets ready in a couple of weeks and will send our volunteers out shopping!!!

Betsy

that's so they can move back-to-school merchandise before the Christmas merchandise starts coming in the end of july.

And get the swimsuits out right after Christmas. A couple years ago I was shopping the After Christmas sales and I was at Target looking for sweatpants for my kids. There was nary a sweatpant to be found. I even asked a clerk and she said they didn't have them anymore. At the end of December.

Shoot, a lot of stores here have already had their summer clearance sales on clothing. I can not find a pair of summer pajamas for my older son anywhere. They are all sold out in his size. It was too cold to even wear summer pajamas until a few weeks ago! Anyone know where to find boys' summer pajamas in size 16 that are not the character type? (I don't think most 14 year olds really want to wear Mario pajamas...)

We are having trouble finding sandals for our sons.  We just buy the very light weight sweat pants and plain white undershirts for P.J.'s..

And get the swimsuits out right after Christmas. A couple years ago I was shopping the After Christmas sales and I was at Target looking for sweatpants for my kids. There was nary a sweatpant to be found. I even asked a clerk and she said they didn't have them anymore. At the end of December.

I went looking for little boys' rain boots at the end of February and was told that rain boot season was over.  How can rain boot season be over when there is still 3 feet of snow on the ground?  

But, yeah, there were plenty of swim suits available if I wanted to buy those for my boys instead of rain boots.   :glare:

Wendy

When DS was a wee lad I had to go on Craigslist to buy winter clothes for him when he outgrew his previous stuf.f.. in March and it was still too cold out to wear short sleeves and that was ALL taht was available in store.

School here got out before Memorial Day and kids will go back mid August, so school supplies sales now make some sense.  I would have assumed they'd wait until after the 4th of July though. 

And that reminds me I need to buy pencils and pencil sharpeners.  I bought a ton each last year, but they are long gone.  Somehow.