Menu

What items are worth it at Costco?

BlueTaelon

I went for the first time in about 10 years last week and saw some pretty amazing deals on #10 can sized foods which I would totally use up in 1-2 days when doing OAMC type stuff but is it really worth it? Were GF/paleo, don't do processed foods much which rules out a lot of stuff. I only had about 15 minutes and most of that was spent trying to find the large Udi's bread loaves which they don't carry at that Costco:(

There are for sure cheaper than our grocery store

Milk

Cheese

Refried beans

Cans of Swanson chicken broth

Romaine lettuce (I can get a 6 pack of Romaine at Costco for exactly the same price as a 3 pack at my cheapest grocery store)

Butter

I prefer to buy meat at Costco, because I feel like the quality is better.

We like their meats, but you won't find a huge variety.  I had to get used to buying larger quantities and freezing the rest.  Their produce is good too, but make sure that you'll use it all or can store them.  I store potatoes and onions in my dark, cold basement.  Their oils and canned tomatoes are nice to have on hand too.

Very little is worth it at Costco where we live now.  HEB (regular grocery store) beats Costco on nearly everything (milk, Hot Pockets, and bacon are notable exceptions).  Where we used to live in MD Costco was *very* worth it.  It beat the grocery store hands down and usually beat Aldi's, too.  So worth it depends on cost of food locally pretty much.  Prices in southern MD and in San Antonio are very similar at Costco.

I mostly only buy Paleo like products there and find it worthwhile for out family. We tend to purchase meat there too. Ours has Udi's bread but just the regular size (kinda small) loaves in 2 packs and the price is much better. Used to be the best price on nuts, but it's gone up over the years but still a good deal overall.

I can justify Costco with usually just 1 or 2 items (and we only go every 6 weeks as we have a bit of a drive to get there). If you buy allergy meds, generic Costco zyrtec can save you enough to pay the membership fee for the year. If you have young daughters, Speedo swimsuits are cheap enough to probably pay half the fee. If you can gas up there regularly, you probably save enough to pay for the membership fee. We save enough on string cheese and cheese sticks to pay our fee. Contact lens cleaner and lotion save us a lot. I buy most of our meat there (I get local hamburger at our farmers market). It might be worth a longer visit to see if you would save enough to make it worthwhile for you.

I just joined Costco, so I'm not sure if they always carry this, but we got the most delectable bag of frozen mango pieces.  They were all ripe and delish, no preservatives.  Dd11 said when I go back I need to buy 5 bags next time!

We buy a probiotic, Align, that is way, way cheaper there.  

Nuts and lemons were good deals.  Oddly, organic apples were more expensive that our grocery store.

Amy

I don't know if you use prescription medications but the ones at Costco can be WAY cheaper than other pharmacies.  My mom had one pharmacy tell her the med was going to be $140 while at Cosco it was $17 for the same monthly supply.  You don't need a membership either.

I buy everything I can at Costco and then I pick up the fill ins at the commissary.  

Organic beef and chicken, roasts, lamb and steaks

Dairy products--milk, eggs, cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, yogurt

Pre-cooked bacon 

Bread, croissants and bagels, muffins

Fruits, veggies are wonderful

Detergents, drier sheets, paper towels, napkins and tp, tissues- I love stocking up so I don't have to buy it as often.

Dog food, treats and a new bed.

Jeans and kids clothes--Carters are great....

As you can see....I love Costco.

I mostly only buy Paleo like products there and find it worthwhile for out family. We tend to purchase meat there too. Ours has Udi's bread but just the regular size (kinda small) loaves in 2 packs and the price is much better. Used to be the best price on nuts, but it's gone up over the years but still a good deal overall.

Do you happen to remember how much the Udi's bread is?

I buy everything I can at Costco and then I pick up the fill ins at the commissary.  

Organic beef and chicken, roasts, lamb and steaks

Dairy products--milk, eggs, cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, yogurt

Pre-cooked bacon 

Bread, croissants and bagels, muffins

Fruits, veggies are wonderful

Detergents, drier sheets, paper towels, napkins and tp, tissues- I love stocking up so I don't have to buy it as often.

Dog food, treats and a new bed.

Jeans and kids clothes--Carters are great....

As you can see....I love Costco.

Do you remember how much you pay for chicken and lamb?

I'm LCHF and buy everything I can at Costco - butter, cream, eggs, sour cream, meat, avocado oil, coconut oil, cheese, dog food, laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, potting soil, batteries, body wash, nuts, Honeyville Grains almond flour, organic chicken broth, mayo, kalamata olives, artichoke hearts, foil, plastic wrap, garbage bags, roasted chicken, BOOKS, Vitamins, etc. etc. etc. I bought two Samsung Galaxy tabs before Christmas - best price I was able to find.  

Totally worth it to me. Also, we get a rebate every spring.

Edited because I forgot to add BACON! I don't know how I forgot that item.  :drool5:

Do you happen to remember how much the Udi's bread is?

Do you remember how much you pay for chicken and lamb?

I don't remember how much we paid for lamb last time, but I'll be shopping again this weekend and will check and report back.  Chicken is 6 packs of 2 breast per packet for around 21.00...this is by weight so each packet is a little different.  

I paid 6.79 (I think) for the large Udi's loaves at Costco yesterday. I usually pay 5.69/loaf for the small ones at the regular store unless it's on sale.

How large are the large loaves? I know we get 6 sandwiches from the small ones plus 2 heels. I usually pay $4.97 at Walmart I think. Its almost $6 if I have to pick it up at the store half hour from here, I try stocking up in the city an hour away when its on sale and I have coupons and get it for $2.29:) I picked up 30 loaves last time, my freezer was a bit packed lol

How large are the large loaves? I know we get 6 sandwiches from the small ones plus 2 heels. I usually pay $4.97 at Walmart I think. Its almost $6 if I have to pick it up at the store half hour from here, I try stocking up in the city an hour away when its on sale and I have coupons and get it for $2.29:) I picked up 30 loaves last time, my freezer was a bit packed lol

Small ones are 12 oz. Large loaves are 1.25 pounds. I haven't had a chance to count the number of slices yet. They are bigger slices, too.

The families I know that do all organic don't do Costco - there's some organic, but maybe not enough to make it worth it.  But in general, I think the produce is the best thing about it in the off season.  It lasts much longer than what I can get at the grocery and it is often a fraction of the cost.  A 5lb bag of potatoes or onions costs pretty much the same as a 1 or 2 lb bag at the grocery.

We get raw milk from a local farmer and meats from a delivery service, but what we buy from Costco on a regular basis is

Produce-

Lettuce

Grape tomatoes

Carrots

Snap peas

English cucumbers

Brussel sprouts

Berries

Pears

Lemons

Asparagus

Artichokes

Mangos

Kiwi

Grapes

Apples

Bags of frozen fruit for smoothies

Mango nectar for smoothies

Cheeses-

Mozzarella

Asiago

Feta

Cheddar

Olive oil

Balsamic glaze

White vinegar to clean with

Coconut oil

Ginger dressing

Vanilla

Coffee

Half and half

Heavy cream

Greek yogurt

Eggs

Quinoa

Organic rice

Veggie straws

Tortilla chips

Lara bars

Granola bars

Dog food

Bacon

Laundry detergent and softener

Dish washing tablets

Dish soap

Gas

For me, I have to really watch prices, because some things are a good deal and other things are very expensive. 

Red potatoes at the grocery store are $1.99 for 5#, at Costco they are $7.69 for 10# (and neither is organic).  That's a pretty huge descrepancy. 

On the other hand lettuce is about half the price at Costco versus the grocery store. 

Aldi's sale prices on fruit is always cheaper than Costco but Costco beats the everyday prices of fruit. 

Cheese is about the same as sale prices at the grocery stores so I don't have to run around and watch ads to get a good price. 

On the other hand, milk, sour cream, yogurt, and eggs are more expensive than our regular grocery store.  I really have to watch butter prices because they fluxuate a lot and some weeks Costco is cheaper and some weeks the grocery store is cheaper.

Meats are pretty expensive in my opinion but I buy a half of grassfed beef and chicken from my local farmer so that probably isn't a good comparison.  I seldom buy any meat at a store.

So you will probably have to go back to your store and prices shop on things you might buy because as you can see from the responses, what one person finds is a good deal in their area is not a good deal in other parts of the country.

Always cheaper at Costco:

Jasmine rice

Huge russet potatoes

Organic ground beef

Lean ground beef (not by much)

Beef stew meat

Sonicare toothbrush replacement heads

As good as usual sale price, or better:

Chicken thighs

Toilet paper

Diapers

Frozen pepperoni pizza

Annie's macaroni and cheese

Milk (we buy organic half-gallons wherever we shop)

English muffins

Better quality than anything in stores:

Meatballs

ETA: We've also bought some furniture online and been very happy with it.

Often I find that things at Costco are about what I would pay at the store, but much better quality.  

I find the biggest trick to saving money there is to buy only the things I'd be buying anyway.  Impulse purchases there add up REALLY quickly.  Now I bring a priced-out shopping list with me, and I can only impulse-buy if other items ended up under budget.

I got my Blendtec for just over $300 in their Christmas special emails, that is about it. I live 2 hrs. away, so am not renewing for now, I only went once in a year.... I can keep the card and renew if I want to go and have it for a year from then, they are good about that.

We shop pretty exclusively at Costco and I fill in at a local chain when I need to.  yes, there is just me and hubs at home now, but when my kiddoes are here enough that I have a pantry pretty full at all times. I do some shopping at Aldi;s, but often Costco is the same or cheaper and with a brand I prefer.  ( Sour cream for example)

Onions

eggs

coffee

Bananas

Cheese

Bacon

cream

half n half

to name a few things I don't even questions any more.

Eyeglasses.  We were offered an insurance plan for eye care last year so I did some calling around.  Costco was about 1/3 the price of the stores I called.  Seriously.

Gadgets - like toaster ovens, blenders, etc.  Especially when they go on sale.

Sheets. - love their sheets

motor oil - when it's onsale

contac solution

windshield wipers

Christmas toys - if you can find it at Costco it's usualy a bigger/better package deal and cheaper

Kirkland Jeans are DH work jeans

Carter's clothes for kids

Socks etc I try to find onsale

Christmas wrap - I get tired of it before it runs out!

We live in Hawaii, and Costco is an even better value now than it was when we lived in Florida. Unlike other stores here, Costco keeps their prices the same as they are on the mainland.   Some of the things I consider great deals there compared to other current options: 

organic ground beef

organic boneless skinless chicken breast

red, yellow, orange bell peppers pack

spinach

carrots

grapes

strawberries

kale

organic milk

toilet paper

paper towels

dishwashing liquid

detergent

I don't have a Costco nearby, but do have a BJs. BJs sends coupons in the mail. Most of the coupons are for things I don't buy, but some are GOLDEN coupons. Does Costco do that? See, when I look at the prices of the items, I can get them cheaper somewhere else. But when I get one of those coupon booklets, the coupons are so good that now the prices are better at BJs.

Also, it's hard for anyone else to comparison shop for you. You'll need to take an entire afternoon, alone, with a notebook and walk up and down the aisles and find the things you would buy there. Write down the quantity/price (unless they tell you how much per unit, then write that.)

Another day, you'll have to take your notebook with you to wherever else you shop, find the same items, and then jot down the prices at the regular store. You'll see which has the better deals.

And anything goes if you can get your hands on golden coupons.

Outside of groceries I buy my glasses, small appliances and electronics there too. Their return policy is unbelievable. We had a computer monitor for two years before it went up in smoke (literally) and they took it back with a full refund. Computers and TVs have a different policy, but if you need a crock pot, humidifier, heater, electric toothbrush, or vacuum (AKA things that can break suddenly), their policy cant be beat.

I don't have a Costco nearby, but do have a BJs. BJs sends coupons in the mail. Most of the coupons are for things I don't buy, but some are GOLDEN coupons. Does Costco do that? See, when I look at the prices of the items, I can get them cheaper somewhere else. But when I get one of those coupon booklets, the coupons are so good that now the prices are better at BJs.

Also, it's hard for anyone else to comparison shop for you. You'll need to take an entire afternoon, alone, with a notebook and walk up and down the aisles and find the things you would buy there. Write down the quantity/price (unless they tell you how much per unit, then write that.)

Another day, you'll have to take your notebook with you to wherever else you shop, find the same items, and then jot down the prices at the regular store. You'll see which has the better deals.

And anything goes if you can get your hands on golden coupons.

What is a golden coupon?   x% off any item? 

Costco does send out a flyer with coupons every month.   There are some standard things that are nearly always included (toilet paper, various vitamins) and some not so common.

Think it was $7.60 or something like that for 2 loaf pack - the smaller loaves. They're closer to $5/each at our local store. 

I just tried an experimental switch to shopping only at Costco and filling in odds and ends at Safeway.  It was decidedly more expensive that way.  I think what I learned is that we never go without when I shop at Costco for everything. So even if it's cheaper, we're consuming more.  Also, produce ended up being a loss because I couldn't use it as fast as it rotted.

What I now purchase at Costco:

Pretty much all of our dairy- Milk, eggs, butter, cheese, ect.

Applewood bacon- YUM

household products- detergents, toilet paper, cleaners, ect

select dry goods- coffee, canned tomatoes, broth, tortillas, and a few others, but not much

frozen fruit and veggies

There's a light sprinkling of other items, but that's pretty much it.

I go to Costco every 2-3 months & fill in weekly at Safeway.  I started a price book so I could see what's cheaper where. I'm finding that for many items, Safeway's sale prices match Costco's price, but they only come around every 3 months or so.

I just tried an experimental switch to shopping only at Costco and filling in odds and ends at Safeway.  It was decidedly more expensive that way.  I think what I learned is that we never go without when I shop at Costco for everything. So even if it's cheaper, we're consuming more.  Also, produce ended up being a loss because I couldn't use it as fast as it rotted.

What I now purchase at Costco:

Pretty much all of our dairy- Milk, eggs, butter, cheese, ect.

Applewood bacon- YUM

household products- detergents, toilet paper, cleaners, ect

select dry goods- coffee, canned tomatoes, broth, tortillas, and a few others, but not much

frozen fruit and veggies

There's a light sprinkling of other items, but that's pretty much it.

I go to Costco every 2-3 months & fill in weekly at Safeway.  I started a price book so I could see what's cheaper where. I'm finding that for many items, Safeway's sale prices match Costco's price, but they only come around every 3 months or so.

Right.  Also, when I was doing the bulk of my shopping at Safeway, I got a lot of good personalized deals on their app.  When I slowed down my shopping there, the app savings got pretty thin.  Safeway gas rewards also save me $25 a month on gas, so that's another plus.

The meat is amazing.  We have an acquaintance who is a professional chef and he buys all his meat for home use at Costco - says it is the highest quality at the most reasonable price he can find.  

Chicken broth is an unbelievable deal.  I can buy 6 boxes for the price of one box at my regular grocery store.

Olive oil is very cheap there as well.

Batteries and light bulbs if you can find a sale are usually cheaper per unit.

We don't eat enough produce or dairy products to make those purchases worth it.  The produce always looks very good though.  The soap, razors, lotions, bathroom type items are also pretty reasonable.  I wouldn't shop there for those items alone but I definitely add them to the cart while there.

What happens to me at Costco though is that I go every month or two and buy meat, chicken broth, olive oil and then basically fill my cart with other nonsense that I decide I "need" and wind up spending a lot of $.   :glare:

Here's what we usually get at Costco:

milk

flour

sugar

diapers

tortillas

spaghetti sauce

coffee

some produce

cheese

We really have to watch impulse buys, though. At a regular grocery store, an impulse buy might cost $5, but at Costco, it's typically $10+. When I'm making my list, I usually average about $10 per item. It usually averages out somewhere around there.

I don't really know what is on the paleo diet list. 

I like buying meat at Costco, it seems to be of good quality and competitively priced. I  separate them into smaller portions and freeze. They sell buffalo there which can be hard to find in some areas. It is the only place I see buffalo here (except whole foods which is crazy expensive) 

I buy a lot of produce there. My son can eat four pounds of grapes in less than a week...we don't generally have a waste problem with produce. :lol: I buy a lot of both veggies and fruit there. I do sometimes get a ton of carrots/celery/onions, I then chop them up and freeze portions of mirepoix for soup. I make a LOT of soup.  

I buy their olive oil. 

They have good deals on packages of nuts and dried fruit.

They have things like ancient grains, quinoa....but I don't know if you can eat those or not.

We buy their rotisserie chickens when we go and have one for dinner that night. I use them to make chicken stock.

I buy packages of frozen fruit for smoothies but I have also drop a handful of the fruit into a pitcher of water and make flavored water that way. 

We like the smoke salmon.

Just the price of the over the counter allergy meds make my membership worth it. If I ONLY bought allergy pills there I would still purchase the membership.

I can justify Costco with usually just 1 or 2 items (and we only go every 6 weeks as we have a bit of a drive to get there). If you buy allergy meds, generic Costco zyrtec can save you enough to pay the membership fee for the year.

Just the price of the over the counter allergy meds make my membership worth it. If I ONLY bought allergy pills there I would still purchase the membership.

I bought some generic allergy medicines from their website. I am not a member. I paid a 5% surcharge, and the shipping (via UPS ground, to my house) was free. Honest. I've copied and pasted the bottom of my e-receipt:

Subtotal:
$12.99
Shipping & Handling:
$0.00
Non-Member Surcharge:
$0.65

I bought some generic allergy medicines from their website. I am not a member. I paid a 5% surcharge, and the shipping (via UPS ground, to my house) was free. Honest. I've copied and pasted the bottom of my e-receipt:

Subtotal:
$12.99
Shipping & Handling:
$0.00
Non-Member Surcharge:
$0.65

But then I still need to get toilet paper. :lol:

They have generic allegra now. 

When we lived in Utah, I had to pay close attention, because some items actually weren't cheaper at Costco. But living in Northern Virginia, we quickly learned that if Costco has it, they almost always have the best price.

Our Costco staples:

Cheese (insanely cheaper)

Milk

Sour cream

Cottage cheese

Eggs

Yogurt

Cream

Half n half

Milk

Frozen vegetables

Tortilla chips

Canned tomato products (diced, crushed, paste, etc)

Organic peanut butter

Rice of all kinds

Oils of all kinds

Nuts of all kinds

Flour

Sugars

Chocolate chips

Herbs and spices--SUCH a good deal

Toilet paper

Toothpaste

Toothbrushes

Deodorant

Bath soap

Laundry detergent

Dishwasher detergent

Men's dress shirts!!! Dh used to insist that he needed $80 dress shirts for work, but one day I just brought home an $18 Kirkland shirt for him to try and he was sold. Amazing.

Socks

Underwear

Coats--I got my kids' snowsuits--pants and a nice coat--for $30 this year! Can't beat that.

Produce is kind of hit and miss as far as price goes. But I have found that a lot of Costco's produce is higher quality. And for us, the convenience of getting as much as possible at one store is worth maybe a few extra dollars on the total bill. Same thing with cereal, but we inly buy cold cereal at Costco when they have the coupon. And then it's a great deal.

We are major Costco junkies. :)

What is a golden coupon? x% off any item?

Costco does send out a flyer with coupons every month. There are some standard things that are nearly always included (toilet paper, various vitamins) and some not so common.

I guess the word "golden" was a bit of an exaggeration. No, they're not x% off any item. They're just things like $5 off of laundry detergent or $3 off tissues. $5 and $3 are great coupons. Most of the coupons are for things I don't buy, but there are just enough coupons in the coupon book for staples that make it worth it. When I use the coupons I save a good $20 or $30 on stuff that I have to buy anyway. I only go a few times a year for those things and the $30 a pop 3 times a year covers the cost of my membership and beyond.