Menu

in hindsight, should not have put community college classes on high school transcript

Jeannie in NJ

first, my dd went to interview at College of Nursing at Villanova University and the admissions person at college of nursing said it was apparent dd was a good student and she would accept all of dd's community college credits and then Admissions for the University (above College of Nursing) called me and at first said that since dd's cc classes were listed on her high school transcript that they could not transfer UNLESS I can show that they were not included as a requirement for her high school graduation.  Luckily not counting her cc classes she still has the 120 credits req. for NJ high school graduation (including her cc classes, I had shown 165 credits) so I have to write a letter to them stating that her cc classes are over and above her high school req. and I AM NOT allowed to re-do her high school transcript to remove her cc classes.  My letter will be attached to her high school transcript and it will all be sent to one of the priests in charge of transfer admissions  and he will then meet with dd and decide if she will receive credit for her cc classes.

So I guess the lesson is DO NOT list cc classes on high school transcript if you want them to transfer to your 4 year university.

also the woman at admissions said they do not recognize dual or concurrent enrollment with community colleges and high schools.

edited   dh just told me that in the School of Business there (where he teaches) they have about 2400 students and they accepted a total of 6 transfers this year.   And the woman at Nursing Admissions said they normally only accept transfers as juniors that have their AA degree.  Dd has 34 credits and no AA,  The woman said she would be considered a "blended" student and would take non NUR classes next year, ex.  Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy, 2 required Theology classes, Sociology, etc and then jump into all her actual NUR classes the following year.  So we will just be glad that they accept her since she will be a "non-traditional" student in their eyes.

Our experience:  all of the in-state Florida universities and a couple of private Christian colleges would have accepted or have accepted my oldest three dc's dual-enrollment credit with no problem.  It is super common in Florida to dually-enroll in CC for both high school and college credit. Thus the name *dual-enrollment.*

Lisa

My dd's college accepted all of her dual credit classes without question.  And in TN, if you take those credits at a State College (which is like a community college in NJ), the Universities (State ones), have to take them.

I also know that KY also takes the dual credit classes without any issues (at least at the State schools).

So I'm guessing it's a thing with Villianova.  If schools accept the credits they are losing money, in theory.  

Each state is different. I think Virginia doesn't accept them for college credit, but I moved away from there a long time ago so my memory might be foggy.

A lot of homeschooled students in our circle did dual enrollment, and most/all of the credits were accepted at the kid's colleges. It actually shortened their college careers. Some of the moms were in contact with future college (I guess the ones that knew what those were) and did coordinate it.

Dual enrollment and middle college programs are pretty common here in Michigan.  Most of the in state colleges accept the transfer credits.   There is even an online wizard where you can check specific classes by inputting the CC and the university you are looking to transfer the credits to.

It is my impression that NCAA clearinghouse requires that college courses be placed on the high school transcript.  [Technically we did our daughters as an ammending attachment and also included an official transcript from the four year school where she did the coursework.] 

Other than her AP Physics course, which was considered dual enrollment because she actually took it on the campus of a local four year college, none of our daughter's college courses were truly needed for her to earn a high school diploma.   She and her advisor met and figured out what courses she would request transfer credit for and what AP credit she would claim.  She ended up with enough credits to essentially start out as a sophomore but is currently technically being treated as a freshman (although she is taking her major courses with mostly second year students) at least for graduation purposes at the moment.  If she opts to go the straight PhD route she could probably graduate in three years and that might be a good option.  My sense currently is that she will likely go the medical school route and I'm not sure I would advise she start out on that journey at age twenty.

the College of Nursing said they have no problem accepting all of dd's cc classes, it is the Main Admissions for the whole university that is having an issue and apparently they have the last word.  Also we live in NJ and dd's community college is in NJ but Villanova is in Pa so don't know if that is also an issue being they may not be very familier with our cc.

It varies from college to college here in Michigan. It can also depend on the name on the transcript. Since Michigan has virtually no oversight of CC's, there are a couple - including the one closest to us - whose credits aren't worth the paper they are printed on so it's a bit of a risk.

DE where the courses were taught at the high school instead of on campus are definitely frowned upon, but credits taken on campus from one of the better CC's or at the regional universities are usually fine. Again, depends on the school and some private institutions in particular are quite picky!

Private colleges and universities are almost always hard on transferring credits.  Or, at least, that was the case when I was in school.  I heard so many crazy stories from people about this who were transfers and that was my own experience with transferred credits.  They would count them, but for less (like, we'll only give you two credits for these three or four credit courses).  Or they would count them, but not toward any requirements at all, only toward general credits.  So taking sociology 101 at one school meant that you'd still have to take sociology 101 again if it was a requirement for your major or something.

The public universities in my state take community college credits that were completed towards high school graduation provided the credits are college level classes in transferable classes (not vo-tec). Most of my friends who went to private college did not get credit for their community college credits at all or not enough to shorten their length of enrollment anyways. It's a numbers game.

Thirty six credit hours of DUAL ENROLLMENT accepted here. At least according to our state board of regents, they are "dual" if taken prior to the student's high school graduation.

Of course, a private university can do whatever they want, but if I were you I'd not drop this easily, especially if your CC is highly regarded by other universities in the area.

ETA I have heard of some schools not transferring courses that would apply towards the degree being sought, because the admin wants to be sure that the student/graduate they will be credentialing has actually received adequate instruction in that area. Even so, I'd think gen ed classes such as English com would transfer.

I think in VA you canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t count them as dual enrollment but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not sure as IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not at this stage. We had a discussion about it recently at co-op though. I think it's because there is a deal with the community colleges where you if you can attend one and maintain an certain GPA (fairly high) you are guaranteed admission to a state school, including UVA and William and Mary. 

Whoa - that is completely nuts. I have every intention of having my kids do CC if they homeschool for high school. And I don't even care so much that every credit transfers, but the fact that the CC credits ONLY transfer if they don't count for high school is just nuts in my book. Definitely going to look into this for local schools.

The state schools where I live don't do that.  If the community college credits are from an in-state community college, they can count as both high school and college credit, but they don't consider you a transfer student unless you've actually graduated from high school and taken college credits after that.  So people here planning for a state school can put them on their transcripts without any issues.  Some high schools actually have dual enrollment classes that you can take in their buildings (the teachers report both to the high school and the college).

Now if you go to a private school or out-of-state, maybe a different policy.

Our state flagship university has the same policy ... if a college class is used as part of a high school graduation credit, then they do not grant credit for the class.  They do consider it for prereqs for placement.  Many people who did apply to this school put the bare minimum of crediits as high school credits and noted which classes which were not used for high school graduation.  However every one of the LACs that my son applied to did give credit, even in his major (which surprised us.) 

That said, we didn't do dual-enrollment only for the purpose of getting college credit.  That was a bonus.  We did it to provide challenging content, provide outside verification of their accomplishments, access to professors who were passionate about their fields, etc. 

That is entirely dependent on the particular college. It's not a broad lesson.

Our state universities accept dual enrollment and there are public high schools built around dual enrollment, so for us our kids have each  received the equivalent of about 1 1/2 years in credit.

the main reason I included her cc classes on her high school transcript was to show that she was capable of getting almost 100% A's in college and not from just "homeschool mommy, me" classes that I taught and graded her on.  Actually one of the advisers agreed that it did look better that a decent amount of her A grades came from cc, rather than just from me.  So sort of a catch 22 with listing her cc grades.  It def made the adviser feel better that dd's high GPA was not just from the grades that I gave her but she may not get transfer credit for the classes but it might help her get accepted to the university which dh says the school does have high grade and SAT requirements. 

At this time, she is excempt from taking the SATs because she is recovering from a concussion so they do not have any SATs to judge her on for admittance but they may make her take them sometime before fall or they may not.  Will be decided upon by the same priest that will decide on her transfer credits.

That said, we didn't do dual-enrollment only for the purpose of getting college credit.  That was a bonus.  We did it to provide challenging content, provide outside verification of their accomplishments, access to professors who were passionate about their fields, etc. 

:iagree:

Our youngest DS is enrolled in an early college high school because we think it's the best fit for him right now.  If any or all of his credits transfer, then great.  If not . . . it doesn't really matter, as long as he's learning and enjoying his high school years.

Here's our experience:

My dd19 transferred 30 credits from our cc here in CT to a private 4-year college in AR with no problems.

I included those cc classes as dual enrollment on her high school transcript.

She also went through the NCAA clearinghouse in order to play soccer on their D2 team.

This semester she is applying to the College of Nursing.

We have not encountered any problems with her cc credits being accepted.

I'm confused. How can you simply "not" list them? If a kid has some extra classes that he didn't need to graduate, and the grades weren't in his favor, why not just leave those off the transcript, too? 

Why WOULD you list them? If they're not needed for graduation, then you could simply view them as remedial instruction or for self-education. I've considered taking classes at our local university because they're interesting to me, but if/when I apply to grad school, if they're not pertinent to the degree I'm looking for, I'm not going to include them on a transcript. 

I stopped reading all the responses, but I was recently able to listen to a panel discussion from homeschool moms of college kids and college admissions officers about this sort of thing.

The admissions officers said that different tiers of colleges treat nearly every part of the admissions process slightly differently, so it's important to know what type of school you are applying to AND their specific rules. There are also advantages and disadvantages to transferring credits, such as entering college as a sophomore vs. as a freshman--things like freshman forgiveness (being able to drop or redo classes without penalty or with a lower penalty) go away if you enter as a sophomore.

This part is based on my experience as a student. Sometimes for science, nursing, or engineering students, you can't transfer certain credits because they want all students in those majors to take specific classes. For instance, my college offered two 100 level biology classes. One was required for biology majors, and the other could be taken by anyone NOT obtaining a science degree as part of their gen ed. The course offered for majors could also cover the gen ed requirement, but if you were a science major of any kind, you had to take it. They had similar requirements for certain chemistry classes for nurses, etc. You might be able to transfer these credits if you were coming from another university, but probably not from dual enrollment or classes taken at a CC.

Not sure if this is part of the situation, but I thought I'd share what I learned. 

Yikes, I am sorry to hear that, but thank you for this heads-up, that we should be really careful about dual enrollment options. I took twelve courses from the University of DE back when I was in high school -- math, English, history, and political science for my junior and senior years -- and every single one transferred easily when I went to Penn State. Some transferred as equivalent courses (ie PSU gave me direct credit for their US history and calculus courses), and others transferred as general elective credits, so I assumed it would be the same now, but I am glad to know we will need to be careful.

Each state is different. I think Virginia doesn't accept them for college credit, but I moved away from there a long time ago so my memory might be foggy.

A lot of homeschooled students in our circle did dual enrollment, and most/all of the credits were accepted at the kid's colleges. It actually shortened their college careers. Some of the moms were in contact with future college (I guess the ones that knew what those were) and did coordinate it.

I think in VA you canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t count them as dual enrollment but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not sure as IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not at this stage. We had a discussion about it recently at co-op though. I think it's because there is a deal with the community colleges where you if you can attend one and maintain an certain GPA (fairly high) you are guaranteed admission to a state school, including UVA and William and Mary. 

In Virginia, cc dual enrollment classes that have a grade of "C" or better are accepted by all the state colleges as transfer credits, if the classes can be applied to the student's major. Private colleges have lists of which courses they will accept.

Virginia here.  My dd is a freshman at a state uni.  They accepted all of dd's dual enrollment credits. 

Her ENG 111, equivalent to Freshman Composition, transferred only as an elective though, since dd is in an Honors program that has a higher requirement than 111.

An extra bonus was her 10 credits of a foreign language.  She has to reach a higher level, maybe 300s?, for her major, and to have two semesters behind her already has been an advantage.

An additional advantage was that she was able to take 13 credits her first semester at the state university, a nice way to ease into her new life away from home.

My son will begin dual enrollment courses next year. For us, there are too many advantages. While I know that many private colleges won't accept these courses, I'm not worried about a school actually saying they will only count them if they are not counted as dual enrollment.  If my kid were set on a specific school, perhaps I'd have to adjust, but for us, we'd pass on a school that showed such unfriendliness to homeschoolers.

The admissions officers said that different tiers of colleges treat nearly every part of the admissions process slightly differently, so it's important to know what type of school you are applying to AND their specific rules. There are also advantages and disadvantages to transferring credits, such as entering college as a sophomore vs. as a freshman--things like freshman forgiveness (being able to drop or redo classes without penalty or with a lower penalty) go away if you enter as a sophomore.

This part is based on my experience as a student. Sometimes for science, nursing, or engineering students, you can't transfer certain credits because they want all students in those majors to take specific classes. For instance, my college offered two 100 level biology classes. One was required for biology majors, and the other could be taken by anyone NOT obtaining a science degree as part of their gen ed. The course offered for majors could also cover the gen ed requirement, but if you were a science major of any kind, you had to take it. They had similar requirements for certain chemistry classes for nurses, etc. You might be able to transfer these credits if you were coming from another university, but probably not from dual enrollment or classes taken at a CC.

Not sure if this is part of the situation, but I thought I'd share what I learned. 

Many schools do treat incoming freshman as freshman even though they may have enough credits to qualify as sophomores.  My son arrived at college with nearly 50 credit hours between his AP classes and his college courses from our local LAC.  He was treated as a freshman for all the "freshman" type things (what dorm he ended up in, advising, etc.) but he was treated like an upper classman for priority when registering for courses.  For him, it was a win-win situation. 

As far as the 2nd point - STEM and health fields, you make a valid point.  We made sure that any classes our kids took in their intended field was for a major in that field so that it would not come back to bite them later.  Ds17 did have to throw away his AP Physics B credit since he later took Physics for majors at the local LAC. 

Melissa, what do you mean?  I have read their website many times but maybe I missed something.  Could you point me to it?

If you get the letter from the CC and have the college transcript then the credits should be transferred.  

From their FAQ:

To earn Villanova University credit for a college course taken while a high school student, the following items must be submitted to the Office for Undergraduate Students.

• An official letter from the high school principal or guidance counselor stating that the credits are not counted towards high school graduation requirements.
  • An official letter from the college or university stating that the courses were taught on its campus by a member of the regular faculty, open to enrollment by and graded in competition with regularly matriculated undergraduate students at the college and a regular part of the normal curriculum published in the college catalog.
  • An official, seal-bearing transcript from the college or university.

A student may transfer up to 60 credits, which include AP credits, study abroad and summer courses taken elsewhere.

Grades of "C" or better (not "C-") are required to be considered for transfer credit.

Everyone should read the policies of any college you are applying to very carefully before submitting transcripts.  :grouphug:  I'm sorry you didn't see this before you applied so you could have avoided any confusion.  Fingers crossed that the priest takes this into consideration and the credits are granted.

Putting aside for a moment all the different policies about dual enrollment counts as high school or college, or is accepted for as transfer credit or not, or bumps a student out of freshman status...

I'm still scratching my head about regardless of whether or not you put the credits on your homeschool transcript... Don't you have to still submit a transcript from the community college where those credits were earned?? I was under the impression that ALL transcripts were required as part of the admission process to any post-high school institution...  :confused1:

It's not like you can just pretend you didn't pay money and take those classes. Or that a GPA wasn't earned, whether it is accepted/transferred or not... Call me WAAYY confused here...

Putting aside for a moment all the different policies about dual enrollment counts as high school or college, or is accepted for as transfer credit or not, or bumps a student out of freshman status...

I'm still scratching my head about regardless of whether or not you put the credits on your homeschool transcript... Don't you have to still submit a transcript from the community college where those credits were earned?? I was under the impression that ALL transcripts were required as part of the admission process to any post-high school institution...  :confused1:

It's not like you can just pretend you didn't pay money and take those classes. Or that a GPA wasn't earned, whether it is accepted/transferred or not... Call me WAAYY confused here...

I'm searching (quickly), and what I'm seeing is that for first-year students, schools are looking for "official high school transcripts." But if we're cobbling together our own, don't we get to decide what we want to include on our "official" transcripts? For example, philosophy is not a requirement for graduation in my state. That doesn't mean I couldn't include it as a formal class for my 12th grader. If she did great, I might include it in the transcript. If she didn't, or if I decided at some point that it was making our schedule too tight and let it slide, why would I include it? Why wouldn't I just chalk it up to something done for our own edification? 

I wouldn't, say, teach Geometry--which IS required for graduation--get to the end of the year, decide a B isn't good enough for her transcript, and pretend I never taught that class (or paid for that class). But for things that aren't graduation requirements, I don't see why we'd be very rigid about it. IMO, as homeschoolers, we have the luxury of spending time studying things that we enjoy and that aren't specifically for "school." If they coincide with school, great. If not, then they're a hobby, even if they maybe look like school, or we had hoped they would work for school and then didn't.

I did come across pages referring to transfer students, and they did explicitly state that they required all transcripts from ALL institutions where college study had occurred, but I don't think that's what we're talking about, right? 

ETA: It's also possible you're talking about the logistics vs. the ethics, in which case, ignore the above. If you're submitting a formal CC transcript, then presumably it will contain a list of all classes taken and grades achieved, so then I can see questioning how one would not "submit" information about selected classes. But if we're talking more about the ethical issue, then my opinion above applies!

We did  submit a sealed official transcript from her community college.  What is throwing admissions for a loop is that I included those classes on her high school transcript with an *  beside each of those courses and an explanation at the bottom that those classes were taken at our local cc.  However, they are seeing them listed on a "high school" transcript and are confused as to if the classes should be counted as high school credit or not?  Tonight I have written a letter to the woman I talked to at Main University Admissions and she will give it to Father C  the head of transfer admissions where I hopefully explained that I SHOULD NOT have put those classes on her high school transcript, that that should not be counted as high school requirements . ( I am banging my head over that right now, if I had left them off her high school transcript an just had them on her sealed cc transcript, then everything would be ok).  I even offered to re-do the high school transcript and they said no.

one plus is that the Admissions at the College of Nursing is fine with accepting all the cc credits into the nursing program so maybe that will help Father C with his decision.  Dd is hoping to meet with him this week, hopefully soon whenever he is available.

Just as an aside, 9 years ago we were living in Chester county maybe 20 minutes away from Villanova by train. Even though it was my daughter's first choice school, we sadly decided to scrap it because of their rigid stance on dual enrollment. Flexibility and the most challenging curriculum I could provide for her in high school had to take precedence. Not telling you this for any reason except for the purposes of commiseration. They're a big pain in the patootie

I just went to Villanova's website and it said that this year they had almost 15,000 applications for a freshman class size of 1,460.  Wow. 

Dh said to me "do what you can but DO NOT rock the boat, remember dd will probably be accepted and it will be tuition free which is $44,000"  so dd will meet with the priest to try and get her credits transferred but I will keep my mouth shut which is sometimes hard for me to do lol

I just went to Villanova's website and it said that this year they had almost 15,000 applications for a freshman class size of 1,460. Wow.

Dh said to me "do what you can but DO NOT rock the boat, remember dd will probably be accepted and it will be tuition free which is $44,000" so dd will meet with the priest to try and get her credits transferred but I will keep my mouth shut which is sometimes hard for me to do lol

Yeah, we'll there you go :) Good luck to you guys!

For us it was hit and miss on how colleges counted dual credit.

Ds's university accepted his cc college credit as college credit.  Every class.  No problem (both are local colleges)

Another university wouldn't take anything that was used for the high school graduation credits. But would take anything above and beyond it. 

Another university would take all classes, and grant a an extra pt on the GPA (up to a 5pt on the typical 4pt grade scale) for any college class, so they would not only count as classes taken, but they also bumped up the GPA.

Another would not take the class toward core college credit requirements, but they could count as prerequisites and electives.

Another would let you use the credits, but you still had to fulfill the same number of credits at their university as the original requirement.  So if you took Chemistry, they would give you the credit for it, but you had to then pick another science class at their university to take for the science credit requirements. 

Another university had an agreement with the CC that they had a specific 'science transfer pack' that was a selection of very specific classes.  This university not only took the credits from this 'pack' but allowed special perks for kids who transferred in with the completed pack (guaranteed enrollment, Jr status etc)

We live in Virginia. My daughter completed 24 hours at the CC as a dual-enrolled student. She applied to three different VA universities as a freshman, was accepted to all three and they took all her credits.

The CC did tell me that some public high schools will not allow dual enrollment classes to count for high school if they get college credit for them.

That is entirely dependent on the particular college.

This.  Check with all the colleges where your student is applying.  I remember when dd's LAC came to our hometown, they said you can't "double dip" - you can choose where you want to use them, either high school or college, but not both.

I've known of several situations where the student had two different transcripts based on what each college wanted.

I had a conversation with our school's GC about this at the end of last year.

In general, the tide is changing on DE, so definitely check with specific colleges if it's a concern.  If the classes are merely "high school" and credit isn't an issue, don't worry about it.  (This is our position.)

For now...

State schools still tend to accept everything with a few exceptions for classes within a major.

Lower level privates often accept anything.

Selective schools often accept nothing.

Mid-level schools are in the middle.  Many won't accept credits taken at the high school or for high school credits, but might accept credits if taken at the cc.

The trend is to accept less, not more, so what is true this year might not be true for next year.